The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Let's Play: Challenge of the Magi: Mage1
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Huh, I did not expect that! I guess he didn't heal from our last fight?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Oh, when it has Phoenix Crags in your editing character sheet, does that mean you want to start there this time, or was that left from last time?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, I'll start there again. And go into the cave again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You are at the Phoenix Crags. You step out onto a ledge at the side of a great mountain. You can sense the presence of magic here. Red and blue spells may be cast in this area. Below you a chasm yawns, a thin sliver of blue marking the distant river at the bottom. Up above tower magnificent, awe-inspiring crags, clawing at the yellow skies with gnarled fingers. It makes your head spin to look up or down.

A path leads from the ledge to an easily accessible mountain slop on which rests a hut. Another goat trail winds up a great crag directly above you. This crag is also accessible by a straight climb upward. Behind you, a cave mouth opens invitingly. You may cast an Ambuscade here if you have one.

You can investigate the hut, follow the goat track, climb directly upwards or enter the cave, but you must WAIT before you do so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

>enter cave
>kill monster
>take sword
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You enter the cave mouth which leads into a labyrinth of tunnels deep underground. You wander about for some time. The tunnels are rich wit odours and sounds, some faint, some loud, echoing around the misty corridors. It is is the place is teeming with life.

WAIT and roll one dice. You got a 4 (again, so same monster), which will take you to 537 after your opponent uses their next wait.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll cast Feeblemind before the fight, and just roll it out as before.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As you round the corner you find yourself face-to-face with a basilisk, a six-legged giant lizard, its eyes glowing with a baleful green fire. You must fight it. Only red of blue magic will work here. The basilisk is immune to Spirit of Flame, as it is a magical creature in its own right. It is unaffected by Phantasm, but if you cast Feeblemind you may add 2 to your combat rolls. If you fight it, it has 12 LPs and rolls one dice. For each roll round you fight, roll another dice. If you roll 1, the basilisk has used its deadly gaze on you which makes your body sluggish. Subtract 1 from your dice rolls every time it uses its gaze. You may flee at any time by Invoking the Portals, WAITing and going to the Scorched Sands of Akhneton, the House of Mausolus or the Forest of Arden.

Mage rolls 5(+2), basilisk roles 5, basilisk takes 3
Mage rolls 4(+2), basilisk roles 5, basilisk takes 4 basilisk uses gaze
Mage rolls 1(+1), basilisk roles 4, mage takes 5
Mage rolls 6(+1), basilisk roles 6, basilisk takes 2
Mage rolls 4(+1), basilisk roles 4, basilisk takes 5 and is killed

WAIT(your 3rd wait) and then to 673
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll pop a heal, now, or as soon as I can.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You can heal now, yes.

After a while, the tunnels lead you to a large cavern at the centre of which lies an ivory dias, carved with runes and glyphs dealing with various aspects of white magic. Upon the dias rests a long sword of fine steel. The hilt is simple and unadorned but the blade seems to pulse with white light. It is the Holy Sword of Avenging Flame, forged on aeons past by the Archangel Variel. If you are not evil you can use it as a weapon in combat, giving you +1 to your combat rolls.

If you want to, take the sword and record the codeword CHAINMAIL. Tiring of the warren of tunnels you Invoke the Portals. You may go to the Scorched Sands of Akhneton, the House of Mausolus, or the Forest of Arden, but you must WAIT(4) before doing so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

House of Mausolus.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You find yourself in a tall dark room of cold black marble. You know immediately that this is a place without magic. White pillars march around the edge and the middle of the room is taken up with row upon row of stone slabs. On the slabs rest naked corpses, cold and still. You have arrived in the House of Mausolus, the place of the dead, where heroes and people of import in the Rainbow Land lie preserved in death for ever. Beside you stairs lead down to the crypt. Will you go down into the crypt, investigate the bodies, examine the small shrine dedicated to some god or other nearby, or Invoke the Portals and go either to the Caverns of Perdition or the Phoenix Crags. In any case you must WAIT(5) before you do so.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrine!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It appears to be a shrine dedicated to the sorceror mage Emeritus, the very one who is said to have created the Rainbow Land. Some say his powers rivaled those of the gods. As you stand there, a low quit laughter fills the air and a voice, ancient yet strong, sounds in your head.

"A duelist, well, well. It is some time since I have witnessed a good duel and I grow bored. Come, entertain me, mortal." With that, you suddenly find yourself transported to an area of magic, with your opponent before you. Emeritus has brought you together to fight for his own amusement.

Suddenly, everything grows dark around you and you find yourself standing on one side of the chequerboard floor at the top of the tower. Just yards away from you is your opponent. All is silent as you size each other up, ready to make the play that will wipe your opponent off the chessboard and gives you victory. You may describe your appearance to your opponent now, the colour of your robe and your class. You should also tell your opponent what artefacts you are carrying. You may exchange insults and epiphets such as "I am here to prove that my knowledge of arcane power goes far beyond the conjuring of an addlepate like yourself."

Your opponent is Wizard, the Wizard. They carry a magic scroll.

They will go first, decided randomly.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"My arms are spread wide as I cast the irresistible dweomer from which there is no protection. You see nothing but there is a pounding pain in your skull. It is if you feel terrible anguish for each and every foul or evil act you have ever committed. Lose five Life Points and two Concentration points. If you are still alive you may cast a spell of your own, if you are able."

DECISIONS

This is an area where black and white magic mix and interweave. You may cast Blight of Desponde. If you do not have any spells, you may run at your opponent in an attempt to engage in physical combat, braving whatever magic may be flung at you. Or you may flee from combat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Christ. Blight of Desponde.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Summoning all your reserves of concentration you cast the terrible spell the Blight of Desponde. There is no counterspell known to even the most puissant mages that can bar the effects of this spell. Read the following to your opponent:

"My arms are spread wide as I cast the darkest dweomer from which there is no protection. You see nothing but your skin begins to erupt into a mass of weeping sores. Your lungs are on fire as the pestilence grips you. Here in the tower black magic is as powerful as white and your body is racked with pain. Lose four Life Points and one Concentration points. If you are still alive you may cast a spell of your own, if you are able."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Your opponent reads from the scroll they are carrying:

"A foul mist materialised before me into the Deathknight, a figure in dark rune-etched armour, its visor up to reveal the face of blank nothingness. It stalks towards you, an ancient axe in hand, intent on carrying out my will - in short, to slay you."

The rules say you have to cast the counterspell if able, but I guess you'd choose that anyway.

Cross off 1 CP as you read this to your opponent:

"I take out a wafer that has been consecrated at the Shrine of the Martyrs and break it, uttering the words of the Rite of Exorcism. Instantly the Deathknight collapses, its armour falling to the ground empty. There is a rush of ethereal wind and we can faintly hear a whispered "Thank you" as the spirit of the Deathknight is freed from its bonded service to the necromancer and returned to its rightful resting place."

You can add something like, "Vile desecrator of innocent souls, for that heartless act I will destroy you."

DECISIONS
You may run at your opponent in an attempt to engage in physical combat, braving whatever magic may be flung at you. Or you may flee from combat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Charge! And call the white wizard a vile desecrator, because it's funny.

Is that the scroll used up, by the way?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The book doesn't say anything about having to reveal if the scrolls are used up, so I'm going to go with "maybe".

You prepare to charge forward. Read this out:

"I begin to charge forward, sword at the ready, intent on hand-to-hand combat. You have the opportunity to hurl a spell at me. If you do not, you may either flee, or run to meet me."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"I do no more than point my finger at you and utter a single word of power, Faith. Can you withstand the Hallowed Word?"

You hear the Word of Power, commanding you to have faith in the Gods of Good but have no fear for you are able to cast the Mouth of the Void. Read out the following:

"Your faithful spell is as nothing to me. I go down on one knee and raise my arms to the heavens. A dark hole from which no light can escape opens up before me and the Hallowed Word echoes as its magic is sucked into the void and lost forever. I am protected by the Mouth of the Void and your foul magics have not succeeded in shaking my faith in the Gods of Evil."

Subtract 1 CP.

DECISIONS
You may run at your opponent in an attempt to engage in physical combat, braving whatever magic may be flung at you (again). Or you may flee from combat.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 861

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Charge!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You prepare to charge forward. Read this out:

"I begin to charge forward, sword at the ready, intent on hand-to-hand combat. You have the opportunity to hurl a spell at me. If you do not, you may either flee, or run to meet me."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The sorceror has +1 to hit due to magic sword. The rules are aa it vague as to whether this affects damage.
Sorceror rolls 6(+1), wizard rolls 4, wizard takes 5
Sorceror rolls 4(+1), wizard rolls 3, wizard takes 6, and is killed.

Explosive Wand is again victorious!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Knight-Baron


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 708

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

"Honestly, do people actually criticise Corbyn's policies, or jusy Corbyn?Character Sheet"

Guessing this is a typo...or possibly you're changing your character name to something rather unusual.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Page 4 of 15

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group