Let's Play: Challenge of the Magi: Mage1

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Ah, thanks. Edited!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You are at the Phoenix Crags. You step out onto a ledge at the side of a great mountain. You can sense the presence of magic here. Red and blue spells may be cast in this area. Below you a chasm yawns, a thin sliver of blue marking the distant river at the bottom. Up above tower magnificent, awe-inspiring crags, clawing at the yellow skies with gnarled fingers. It makes your head spin to look up or down.

A path leads from the ledge to an easily accessible mountain slop on which rests a hut. Another goat trail winds up a great crag directly above you. This crag is also accessible by a straight climb upward. Behind you, a cave mouth opens invitingly. You may cast an Ambuscade here if you have one.

You can investigate the hut, follow the goat track, climb directly upwards or enter the cave, but you must WAIT before you do so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Cave mouth.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You enter the cave mouth which leads into a labyrinth of tunnels deep underground. You wander about for some time. The tunnels are rich wit odours and sounds, some faint, some loud, echoing around the misty corridors. It is is the place is teeming with life.

WAIT(2) and roll one dice. You got a 6, which will take you to 557.

As you turn a bend in the tunnels, you almost bump into three grizzled axe-wielding dwarves. They perk up in surprise and then give a shout of glee. 'Booty!' one of them growls and they leap to the attack. You must fight them collectively. They roll 1 dice +3. Each dwarf has 5 LPs. Whenever you kill one, the combat rolls is reduced by 1. If you can cast Phantasm you may do so, creating an illusion of a Rock Burrower, a hideous underground giant insect which will send them fleeing in terror.

Any other blue or red spell you cast will have the effect of cumulatively lowering their attack roll by 1 each round you cast a spell, before you roll the dice. You may case a spell just before you roll the dice for combat. If, at any time, the roll higher than you, you lose 4lps and the knock you to the ground, steal one items (your chose) but not a dagger and then scamper away into the tunnels laughing gleefully.

You may flee before any combat round by Invoking the Portals, WAITing and going to the Scorched Sands of Akheton, the House of Mausolus or the Forest of Arden. If you defeat the dwarves, turn to 673
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Phantasm these little punks.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

After a while, the tunnels lead you to a large cavern at the centre of which lies an ivory dias, carved with runes and glyphs dealing with various aspects of white magic. Upon the dias rests a long sword of fine steel. The hilt is simple and unadorned but the blade seems to pulse with white light. It is the Holy Sword of Avenging Flame, forged on aeons past by the Archangel Variel. If you are not evil you can use it as a weapon in combat, giving you +1 to your combat rolls.

If you want to, take the sword and record the codeword CHAINMAIL. Tiring of the warren of tunnels you Invoke the Portals. You may go to the Scorched Sands of Akhneton, the House of Mausolus, or the Forest of Arden, but you must WAIT(3) before doing so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Let's mix it up and go to the Scorched Sands.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You find yourself standing in an open expanse of desert. All around you stretches the endless sands, baking in the burning sun. Here a lively, vibrant civilization once thrived, but time, tragedy and sorcery reduced the land of Akhneton to desert. You sense that there is no colour magic in this area. no spells will work. Ahead of you, the desert runs into some sand dunes and to your right, some distance away, shimmering in the heat, some rocky hills swelter under the sun. You may investigate the hills or the dunes. You must WAIT(4), unless you have a STEED, in which case you can immediately turn to the next paragraph. Alternatively, you may WAIT(4) and Invoke the Portals and go to the Phoenix Crags or the Sacred Grove.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Sand dunes.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You set out for the dunes. However, the shimmering heat causes a confusing mirage - the dunes are much further away than you first believed. The heat is terrible. Soon you are dry, dusty and desperate for water. The terrain is inhospitable. Nothing can live in this heat.

You drain the contents of your water bottle, it is now empty.

You may press on towards the dunes or Invoke the Portals and go to either the Phoenix Crags or the Sacred Grove. You must WAIT(5) before you do so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Press on!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Beyond the dunes you find a desert oasis but your joy soon turns to despair as you see that the palms and shrubs that surround it are stunted and wilted. the surface of the oasis pool is covered with slick, black oil, effectively poisoning the water below. You can either set fire to the oil, or Invoke the Portals and go to either the Phoenix Crags or the Sacred Grove You must WAIT(6) before you do so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Kill the oasis with fire, why not.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You get flint and tinder to set the oil ablaze. Record the codeword ICE on your character sheet. It erupts into a crackling sheet of flame and black, oily smoke spirals into the clear desert sky.

Suddenly, a figure materializes, suspended above the flames. It is a powerfully-muscled man, clad only in a loincloth. His skin glows with heat and his eyes are like smouldering coals. You recognise a djinni. The djinni bows and then speak. 'I am yours to command, O Lord, for as long as i stand in these flames. What is your wish, Great Sultan?' You can hardly believe your luck. Will you order the djinni to give you gold, or to give you some magical artifact, or order him to attack your enemy forthwith? You must WAIT(7) before you turn to the next paragraph.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Attack my enemy!
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

'At once, Duelmaster.' the djinni bellows and flies up out of the flames. Immediately, the djinni stops and bellows with laughter. 'O foolish mortal. Did I not say "Whilst I stand in these flames"? Now I obey none but mine own whim and fancy.' Then his demeanour changes and his features contort into a feral scowl. 'Now mortal, give me a gift of gold or I shall slay you."

You stand back in fear as you know djinni to be immune to magic and inhumanly strong. Not having any gold, the djinni swoops to attack and deals you a great buffet before you manage to Invoke and escape. Lose 4 LPs. In any case, if you still live you may now go to the Sacred Grove or the Phoenix Crags. WAIT(8) before you do so.

EDIT: As an aside, I like that, it's annoying, but makes sense and someone could see it coming. Admittedly, IIRC, I didn't either the first time.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Mon May 15, 2017 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Urgh, that's what I get for skim reading at work. I thought he said as long as I was there.

Phoenix Crags again I guess, whatever.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You are at the Phoenix Crags. You step out onto a ledge at the side of a great mountain. You can sense the presence of magic here. Red and blue spells may be cast in this area. Below you a chasm yawns, a thin sliver of blue marking the distant river at the bottom. Up above tower magnificent, awe-inspiring crags, clawing at the yellow skies with gnarled fingers. It makes your head spin to look up or down.

A path leads from the ledge to an easily accessible mountain slop on which rests a hut. Another goat trail winds up a great crag directly above you. This crag is also accessible by a straight climb upward. Behind you, a cave mouth opens invitingly. You may cast an Ambuscade here if you have one.

You can investigate the hut, follow the goat track, climb directly upwards or enter the cave, but you must WAIT(9) before you do so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Hut.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You ascend the slopes towards the hut. As you near it, an old man, white-bearded and wearing grey robes steps out to meet you. Something about him makes you feel uncomfortable. Will you attack him or talk to him? You must WAIT(10) before you do.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Hmm. I'm guessing a renegade mage of some kind? Let's go with our gut and murder him.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You charge forwards. Suddenly the old man seems to grow in stature and incredibly, bursts of flame shoot from his nostrils to engulf you. Lose 5 LPs. You cry out in agony and fall back down the slope. Before you can consider using your magic, the old man gestures and you find yourself at the Nexus, surrounded by coruscating colours. You cannot return to the Crags yet. You can go to the Scorched Sands of Akheton, the House of Mausolus, or the Forest of Arden. But you must WAIT(11) before you do so.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Bleh. Forests of Arden, and burn two heals.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The portal disappears behind you and you find yourself surrounded by trees at the centre of a small clearing. The sun beats down but within the trees is a dark gloom. It is silent in the clearing and you feel alone, far from the security of your fellow men and their dwellings. Although you can hear nothing the Forest feels full of lie, full of unseen eyes spying on you. This is a place enchanted with green magic, a place where nature is untouched by man.

The tinkling of bells and piping of flutes reaches you, strangely bright and clear through the trees. Two muddy tracks leave the clearing. One leads off in the direction from which you think the music is coming from, the other disappears into the gloom in the opposite direction.

WAIT(12)

Will you take the path towards the sound of music, the gloomier path, or Invoke the Portals and go to the Citadel of the Skull, the Rainbow Inn, the Silvered Spires or the Phoenix Crags?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Gloom.