The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Trump Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
deaddmwalking
Duke


Joined: 21 May 2012
Posts: 1662

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think he tweets from the toilet and he really wanted to use a word that means 'smart' or 'genius' but not one of those. Then, when he couldn't think of a synonym he just went with smart. It's funny that I spend more time revising my inconsequential posts on this site than the sitting President does with his communications to the world.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RobbyPants
Prince


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 4518

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apparently, Fox and Friends apparently drives a lot of what Trump tweets. He admitted a while ago that it's his favorite show, but looking at the time stamps of his tweets vs what's on Fox and Friends that day, he's basically just repeating what they say.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2333
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It's the same with Putin. He watches Egghead's Weekly News, then repeats the flat-earth bullshit Egghead says during official functions.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
RobbyPants
Prince


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 4518

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trump complains about letting people in from shithole countries and wonders why we can't make America white again. The only part of this I found surprising is that he's denying that he swore.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7487

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

WaPo is reporting (non-paywall version here) that Trump cheated on Melania with a porn star (some time ago) and paid to cover it up (in 2016). Nobody is surprised, but it does badly undermine Trump's chief defense against the Steele dossier: the claim that Trump is so shameless as to be blackmail-proof.

It remains to be seen what flavor of non-response the Republicans will put forth, but it's a nice addition to the pile of 'imagine if a Democrat had done this.'
_________________
"Now that we've determined that up to π angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine the specific number (or fraction) of angels dancing?"
"What if angels from another pin engage them in melee combat?"


Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Maj
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4274
Location: Shelton, Washington, USA

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
WaPo is reporting (non-paywall version here) that Trump cheated on Melania with a porn star (some time ago) and paid to cover it up (in 2016). Nobody is surprised, but it does badly undermine Trump's chief defense against the Steele dossier: the claim that Trump is so shameless as to be blackmail-proof.

It remains to be seen what flavor of non-response the Republicans will put forth, but it's a nice addition to the pile of 'imagine if a Democrat had done this.'


Fixed the link for you. It said httl instead of http. Smile
_________________
My son makes me laugh. Maybe he'll make you laugh, too. Oh, hey! There's now a Minecraft Edition of GODzookery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Koumei
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 12823
Location: South Ausfailia

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
It remains to be seen what flavor of non-response the Republicans will put forth, but it's a nice addition to the pile of 'imagine if a Democrat had done this.'


"But Bill Clinton Blowjob"

I'd be willing to put money on that being the answer. Not just because there's a vague link there (ie sexual affair, even if there are differences in the details), but because that's one of their top three responses to literally anything.

And it's hilarious that he wants more people from Norway. What the fuck does America have to offer Scandinavians other than violent adventure (for those that still have dormant Viking genes waiting to be unleashed)?
_________________
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7487

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Trump had his physical on Friday and released a flagrantly phony statement about it. It's impossible to be surprised that the administration lied, even when it was completely unnecessary, but I still find myself amazed at how low-quality the deception on offer is.
_________________
"Now that we've determined that up to π angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine the specific number (or fraction) of angels dancing?"
"What if angels from another pin engage them in melee combat?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RobbyPants
Prince


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 4518

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Koumei wrote:

"But Bill Clinton Blowjob"

I'd be willing to put money on that being the answer.

When the Access Hollywood hot mic details were released, the response I heard was "but Bill Clinton rapist".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 27234

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
Trump had his physical on Friday and released a flagrantly phony statement about it. It's impossible to be surprised that the administration lied, even when it was completely unnecessary, but I still find myself amazed at how low-quality the deception on offer is.


I lost all faith in the quality of our deep state when the Bush administration failed to find any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. I mean, are you fucking kidding me? They had months to work that up, and all they had to do was pull out a couple of cans of old made in the USA nerve gas and, take some blurry photos, and blow them up. That they didn't even consider that they might have to plant some evidence for themselves to find is fucking ridiculous.

But yeah, even by the "Yellow Cake!" standards of Bush II era deceptions, the crap that Donald of Orange comes out with is incomprehensibly bad. The lies are so fucking pathetic that I don't even know who the audience is supposed to be.

The major problem I'm having as far as all these lies and fuckups go is that I genuinely can't even keep track of it all. I mean, remember that corrupt Russian uranium deal? Not the made up one that Hillary supposedly was responsible for, but the actual one in which former Trump national security advisor Flynn embezzled a bunch of money through a uranium smuggling operation involving Russian mining firms and the middle east? Yeah, they unsealed an indictment related to that yesterday. And I don't even know if the revelations about Donald Trump paying hush money to porn stars was being released as a distraction.

But the pile of weird racist asshole behavior that Trump engages in all the time is kinda coming out. Like where he seemed genuinely confused that there were people on wellfare that weren't black. Or the thing where he got impatient and asked why we had to have immigrants from "all these shithole countries" instead of fucking Norway. Or the thing where he went off on a rant about all the F-52s we were sending to Norway (F-52s only exist in Call of Duty). Or the thing where his office declared that it was OK to enslave people who want to get government subsidized health insurance. Or the thing where it was revealed that ICE has been locking people in solitary confinement if they decline "voluntary" labor. Or the thing where Donald Trump went on a tweet rant about how bad it was that Congress went behind his back and passed a bill that his office had asked them to pass. Or the really minor shit like how it took the White House 22 minutes to figure out the mute button on a conference call with reporters and senior officials. Or how about the thing where Feinstein released the Steele hearing transcripts and it turns out that the entire Republican Party is engaging in criminal conspiracy to protect literal treason. Or how about the thing where the Trumples announced they had removed someone from running a PAC and thereby demonstrated that they are still in gross violation of election laws? What the actual fuck?

And so on. The scandals are so hot and heavy that I seriously can't keep track. What am I supposed to be outraged by? Everything is an outrage. These guys are completely incompetent, completely evil, and continue to casually break all the laws. Including laws that they don't even have any reason to break. I don't see how you could even give these people a fair trial for all the crimes they break in a mere four years. They've been at this shit for less than a year and it would take longer than a year just to read out all their crimes.

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grek
Prince


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 2621

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You'll no doubt find the Toxoplasma of Rage very informative. But for those who don't care to read, it compares the current outrage culture to a parasite, toxoplasma, which has a two stage life cycle. In stage one, it infects a cat and gets its eggs pooped out into the water supply. Those eggs get infect rats, which are then influenced by the parasite to due stupid and unreasonable things, like loitering out in the open where they will get eaten by cats. This infects the cats with toxoplasma parasites, completing the cycle.

In this analogy, Trump is the rat. The constant gaffs and half-baked lies aren't some sort of strategic move by Trump. They're the result of toxic outrage memes rotting his brain and making him do stupid shit that is pointlessly detrimental to him but great at continuing the cycle of outrage. And just as the best option if you're a cat is to stop eating infected rats and to stop shitting in the water supply, the best way to deal with Trump as a nation is to ignore his deranged lies, stop shitting outrage onto social media and focus on trying to fix the structural problems that got us into this situation in this first place (hint: it rhymes with Berry Pandering).
_________________
Quote:
But more importantly if you elevate jerkishness into a principle, if you try to undermine the rules that keep niceness, community, and civilization going, the defenses against social cancer – then your movement will fracture, it will be hugely embarrassing, the atmosphere will become toxic, unpopular people will be thrown to the mob, everyone but the thickest-skinned will bow out, and the people you need to convince will view you with a mixture of terror and loathing.


Last edited by Grek on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
erik
Prince


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 4966

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

By your explanation i in fact strongly doubt I will find it informative or helpful at all. People shouldn’t stop being outraged or let trump become accepted as normal. Just don’t let the outrage distract you from working however you can to fight it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Whipstitch
Prince


Joined: 29 Apr 2011
Posts: 2991

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In fairness to that article it doesn't actually argue against outrage. It's just a long rumination on how controversial cases and topics are better adapted to spreading via modern social media than clear cut ones and how that ensures that causes and activist groups will be tried in the court of public opinion based on the merits of their weakest cases rather than their strongest. E.g., Michael Brown's death mobilized people and drew attention to the death of Eric Garner and not vice versa despite the latter case happening earlier.
_________________
bears fall, everyone dies


Last edited by Whipstitch on Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord


Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 11401

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

One thing I think is worth repeating about the lies and dishonesty from Trump and his administration isn't just the constant stream of it, or the scope of it, but the incompetence of it. Even the Ferengi know to keep their lies consistent, and Trump and his team can't even manage that. They're lazy and stupid with their lies because, ultimately, I don't think they expect their word to be believed - they think that because of who they are, the positions they're in, it doesn't matter. And when the people who would impose the consequences are all in your pocket - basically the Republicans in Congress - that's true. Trump lies so badly because he has no incentive to lie well. We the people are not worth the effort.
_________________
The Unpublishable - Updates Fridays between midnight and midnight | http://wikithulhu.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7487

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ancient History wrote:
They're lazy and stupid with their lies because, ultimately, I don't think they expect their word to be believed - they think that because of who they are, the positions they're in, it doesn't matter.

I genuinely believe that their lies are lazy and stupid because they are lazy and stupid. Trump's lies have been exactly as inept when he was in court with substantial amounts of money at stake, and his cronies are picked for creepy loyalty and not for ability. Even his attorneys have been comically out of their depth every time they appear in public. This is the A-game.

The good news is that if we can get the Republicans out of the way, he's basically defenseless. The bad news is that the country functionally has no executive and sooner or later there are going to be real crises.
_________________
"Now that we've determined that up to π angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine the specific number (or fraction) of angels dancing?"
"What if angels from another pin engage them in melee combat?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grek
Prince


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 2621

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

erik wrote:
By your explanation i in fact strongly doubt I will find it informative or helpful at all. People shouldn’t stop being outraged or let trump become accepted as normal. Just don’t let the outrage distract you from working however you can to fight it.


I'm not saying that Trump is normal. I'm saying that his behavior is so beyond the pale that he should not be treated as a president, but as human clickbait. Nothing he says has a meaningful truth value, it's just whatever word salad will prompt the strongest emotional response and draw the most attention. Because that is what the current system is selecting for in a president. Not good policy, not honesty, not likability, but for whoever can get the TV to say their name the most times.
_________________
Quote:
But more importantly if you elevate jerkishness into a principle, if you try to undermine the rules that keep niceness, community, and civilization going, the defenses against social cancer – then your movement will fracture, it will be hugely embarrassing, the atmosphere will become toxic, unpopular people will be thrown to the mob, everyone but the thickest-skinned will bow out, and the people you need to convince will view you with a mixture of terror and loathing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3488

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Grek wrote:
And just as the best option if you're a cat is to stop eating infected rats and to stop shitting in the water supply,


That's completely wrong.

Toxoplasmosis is usually asymptomatic in cats. It can become acute, but this is so rare that the risk is drastically outweighed by the benefits of easy-to-catch food. The cat and Toxoplasma are effectively symbiotes. If we're using this metaphor, and we are the cats, then the correct thing to do is to eat Trump and poop in the water so that we can continue to get easy meals.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grek
Prince


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 2621

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Illustrative analogies do not have to be 100% factually accurate, news at eleven. Feel free to pretend it says "if you're a cat who doesn't want to contract Toxoplasmosis" if your inner pedant demands it of you.
_________________
Quote:
But more importantly if you elevate jerkishness into a principle, if you try to undermine the rules that keep niceness, community, and civilization going, the defenses against social cancer – then your movement will fracture, it will be hugely embarrassing, the atmosphere will become toxic, unpopular people will be thrown to the mob, everyone but the thickest-skinned will bow out, and the people you need to convince will view you with a mixture of terror and loathing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3488

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Grek wrote:
Illustrative analogies do not have to be 100% factually accurate, news at eleven. Feel free to pretend it says "if you're a cat who doesn't want to contract Toxoplasmosis" if your inner pedant demands it of you.


The point being is that the worse he looks the fewer votes he'll get in the next election. There comes a point where outrage is an effective weapon. If it makes the other side stupid why not use it against them?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Grek
Prince


Joined: 11 Jan 2009
Posts: 2621

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Angry Democrats don't mean less Trump votes. The spite demographic is strong right now.
_________________
Quote:
But more importantly if you elevate jerkishness into a principle, if you try to undermine the rules that keep niceness, community, and civilization going, the defenses against social cancer – then your movement will fracture, it will be hugely embarrassing, the atmosphere will become toxic, unpopular people will be thrown to the mob, everyone but the thickest-skinned will bow out, and the people you need to convince will view you with a mixture of terror and loathing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 27234

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Grek wrote:
Illustrative analogies do not have to be 100% factually accurate, news at eleven. Feel free to pretend it says "if you're a cat who doesn't want to contract Toxoplasmosis" if your inner pedant demands it of you.


The problem is that the core premise of us not wanting people to become outraged by Trump is false. We want his behavior to outrage people. His behavior is outrageous, and the only hope for the republic is that there are severe enough repercussions for him personally and the Republican party in general that conservatives the world over spend the next thirty years pretending they never allied with the deplorables in the first place.

There just isn't a cycle. At all. The right wing noise machine does not generate outrage because left wing people did stuff because they were outraged. the right wing noise machine generates noise all the time with no provocation at all. Remember the IRS Targeting Controversy? That was when conservatives lost their shit because supposedly the IRS was targeting conservative groups. But remember after a bunch of leftists clutched their pearls about how that would be real bad and we should do a full investigation it turned out that it was all bullshit and nothing remotely like that had ever happened?

That is the shit we need to fight. Not the getting angry part, the part where we try to deal fairly with these assholes who have no intention of dealing fairly with us. Get outraged. Embrace the hatred. We're on the brink of fucking war, and now is not the time to calm down. Now is the time to figure out how to win.

People in Trump's inner circle need to be executed for treason. That is a thing that needs to happen. Not moving forward together in a spirit of healing. Treason happened. People need to die. And you need to be outraged enough that when they are executed you say "About fucking time."

-Frank
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tussock
Prince


Joined: 07 Nov 2009
Posts: 2565
Location: Here

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like the African Union response, and the UN response, which is basically fuck that guy and fuck his racist shit too, only slightly more diplomatic. Hah, I kid, basically the African Union statement was that obviously the US Whitehouse was the real shithole on account of the great big shit living in it.

US ambassadors, the world over, apologising on behalf of the country for the President, again. It's not a small slight, calling whole countries shitholes because of the brown people living there. It's not even particularly subtle. He does seem to be getting worse.

You might think it a distraction from other things, but I don't think so, stupid racist shit is as stupid racist shit does. Being elected president was always going to make his narcissism much worse and amplify all this crap he carries with him.
_________________
news://rec.games.frp.dnd
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
DSMatticus
Prince


Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 4952

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The problem is not berry pandering (which sounds a lot like gerrymandering's adorable bear mascot). The problem is that the Republican party is a corrupt and dangerous institution which does not respect the fundamental principals of democracy, and they no longer fear themselves subject to rule of law because nothing ever fucking happens to them no matter what they do. The solution is to make them fear the rule of law. That is the only solution. You can't just put your guy in the White House and pretend everything's back to normal, because it fucking isn't. You only get to keep your laws and your norms if you enforce them. Republicans will play obstructionists, the tide will swing back to conservatism in 4-8 years, they will have learned to fear nothing, and they will march us further into the jaws of fascism.

We have to remember the outrage we feel now, because those outrages are often about obstruction of justice in the furtherance of treason, and if in 2020-2024 we aren't handing out life sentences and lethal injections like candy to Trump's White House and Republican members of the congressional investigational committees, then our democracy is fucked. Not because 'progressive victories at any cost,' but because Republicans have legitimately escalated to the point where that is the only option left to protect ourselves. And if you think I'm full of shit, Trump will publicly and privately pressure the FBI to criminally investigate the 2020 Democratic presidential candidate. I know this will happen, you know this will happen, that is the new norm.

You don't get your norms back just because you put a democratic "This Is Fine" dog in the White House. We have to rebuild the norms Republicans destroyed. That will require punishment. Hopefully fair and lawful punishment, but with Kennedy the swing vote on the Supreme Court right now and possibly worse by 2020, it may require stacking a bunch of executives agencies, going public with the results of our treason/corruption investigations, and using those revelations to justify unilateral action.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord


Joined: 18 Aug 2010
Posts: 11401

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
The bad news is that the country functionally has no executive and sooner or later there are going to be real crises.

Like the fact large chunks of Puerto Rico are still without power? That kids are going to go hungry because CHIP isn't renewed? That 800,000 DREAMers face deportation?
_________________
The Unpublishable - Updates Fridays between midnight and midnight | http://wikithulhu.com
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Thaluikhain
Duke


Joined: 29 Sep 2016
Posts: 1085

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

DSMatticus wrote:
We have to rebuild the norms Republicans destroyed.


A) The people who would be in charge of doing strongly overlap with the people who are the problem.

B) I don't see how such a thing could be possible. Lock up Trump and, let's be conservative, just half of the Republican leaders, somehow avoid a civil war in response...would you trust the politicians you get afterwards? Once a precedent is set, you have a hell of a time unsetting it.

Impeach and imprison, sure, it'd help. It'd stop the problem from getting worse (if done right). Trump has done irrepairable damage, however.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 52, 53, 54, 55  Next
Page 53 of 55

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group