The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Trump Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

He did want credit for the deficit dipping in comparison to Obama's first month, you know, when they bank bailout was going on post-housing melt down. But it should surprise nobody that Trump wants to have his cake and eat it too.
FrankTrollman
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The tourism Trump Slump appears to be real. Tourism is classified as an export because it's foreigners spending their foreign money on American goods and services. So having Trump outright ban a bunch of people from the country and giving ICE open license to harrass people attempting to enter the country turns out to result in less people coming to the country. And that, in turn, widens the trade deficit.

Most of this is structural of course, but what concrete actions Trump has actually taken that affect the trade deficit in any way do so by increasing it.

-Frank
erik
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I meant to respond to this but plumb forgot and was reminded during a piece on Rick Perry on NPR recently and insomnia gives me the opportunity to write on a lappy instead of on my phone.

FrankTrollman wrote:
Rick Perry is literally the last person in America you would want to lead the Department of Energy. Picking somebody out of the phone book or giving the job to a six year old girl that just won a spelling bee would make more sense. Rick Perry as head of the department is simply the most insulting appointment you could make. The proposal cannot be interpreted as anything other than a calculated insult.
This is an appointment that can only be interpreted as a message. And the message is "Fuck You."

While I think that Rick Perry's appointment was indeed a fuck you aimed at disrupting/dismantling yet another government agency, I'm of the mind that Trump's team fucked up when they picked him for it, at least for their goals.

Rick Perry is a politician rather than ideologue, and if he's in a job role he's going to work to make that job relevant and himself look good, not try to burn the house down that he's standing in. First sign of this being the case was when he immediately changed his tune on the Dept of Energy as soon as he got nominated. It wasn't "I'm gonna right this ship" (or scuttle this ship) it was "Oh this ship is important!"

I think Perry is an idiot, but he's an honest to ghost Texan George Dubya idiot who at least will surround himself with and rely upon actual experts.

Now NPR's piece was about how given his presiding over Texas and its huge expansion of renewables/wind energy it isn't actually crazy for him to be Secretary of Energy, but they never talked once about the nuclear role of the department in that piece, which makes it a puff piece in my mind, missing the forest for the leaf.

I giggled inside when I heard what Trump told Perry when offering the job "I want you to do for American energy what you did for Texas." As if Trump even knew what the job was or what Perry did for Texas. I'm sure in Trump's plaque-covered orange brain it was more like "say something nice and banal to the guy who is my surprise Fuck You."

Anywho, I'd rate Perry unironically as Trump's second best pick for a cabinet post (first being Nikki Haley).

Last edited by erik on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Grek
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Erik's got it entirely right. There is no correlation between what Rick Perry says and what Rick Perry does - any Texan could tell you that. He has no ideology, he just says and does whatever gets him into the most influential office he can and then pimps out that office to his cronies. Except to see the Department of Energy soiled, bruised, coated in corporate oil-jizz, but largely intact four years from now.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

In full double-speak mode, Trump says he'll blame the Democrats if the AHCA fails to pass, while blaming Tea Party opposition for "helping the other side"
phlapjackage
Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

phlapjackage wrote:
What about the Trump tweet deletion? Law-talking guys, what legal stuff is in play here?

http://gizmodo.com/trump-deletes-misspelled-tweet-which-may-be-illegal-1791466204

I can see that it's not really a big deal, except that I agree with the opinion that Trump has "crossed the line" and now his private Twitter account should be viewed as an official POTUS account too, since he is tweeting official POTUS stuff from the private account.

http://theslot.jezebel.com/donald-trump-is-in-trouble-for-deleting-his-tweets-1793159818
Chamomile: Deaddmwalking... was a holy warrior dedicated not to a specific cause, but to doing battle with a single foe. With his nemesis forever banished from our shores, he goes off to become a normal denner who puts irritating people on ignore rather than endlessly engage them.
OgreBattle
Prince

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

So while Trump was #winning a Chinese-American journalist made a tweet about how if only non-Whites voted every state would've gone donkey so whites got a lot of work to do. He then started getting death threats.

Chinese social media picked up the news, but wrote it as liberals attacking Chinese Americans who support Trump:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/story-false-trump-protesters-slurs-trends-on-weibo

This trended and became the top hashtag on weibo for a while. So now millions of mainlanders believe Chinese-Americans are pro Trump and being persecuted for it.

Boy am I glad the mainland is not a democracy.
Prak
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And apparently, Steve Bannon destroyed the jacuzzi of a rental property with acid...

Quote:
The Opechee house was left in disrepair, according to an email between the landlord and Bannon and interviews with the landlord.

Padlocks had been placed on interior doors or the doors had been removed altogether. A hot tub was destroyed.

[E]ntire Jacuzzi bathtub seems to have been covered in acid, the landlord wrote in the February 2015 email to Bannon.

So... yeah, it certainly looks like Bannon may have held someone hostage and then dissolved their dead body. I'm sure there are less... well, libelous isn't really the right term, but it works, less libelous suppositions as to why he would have padlocked some doors, taken others off their hinges, and apparently covered the whole surface of a jacuzzi with acid, but... hostage and body disposal is the only thing that comes to mind.

Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Hiram McDaniels
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Prak wrote:

So... yeah, it certainly looks like Bannon may have held someone hostage and then dissolved their dead body. I'm sure there are less... well, libelous isn't really the right term, but it works, less libelous suppositions as to why he would have padlocked some doors, taken others off their hinges, and apparently covered the whole surface of a jacuzzi with acid, but... hostage and body disposal is the only thing that comes to mind.

Shit son, that just sounds like my quinceanera.
Ancient History
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The slightly more plausible but no less disgusting possibility is that someone had sex in said jacuzzi and then tried to clean it with pool chemicals and fucked up.
Prak
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ah yes, "never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

That doesn't explain the padlocks, though.

Winnah wrote:
No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

FrankTrollman wrote:
In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
OgreBattle
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe he was just trying to mix some bomb stuff and messed up, y'know normal libertarian things
Hiram McDaniels
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ancient History wrote:
The slightly more plausible but no less disgusting possibility is that someone had sex in said jacuzzi and then tried to clean it with pool chemicals and fucked up.

Definitely more plausible. I'd side with Occam's Razor here.
Chamomile
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

That still leaves the question of why padlocks were added to some doors while other doors were removed entirely. Even the hostage scenario doesn't explain door removal.
Maj
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not that it applies to Bannon because dude had money, but in our old apartment, we took the doors off the bedrooms in order to make more space. We hung heavy curtains over the doors, instead. And when we moved into our new house, we turned the master bedroom into an office, and took the door off that, too.
Shrapnel
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My guess about the doors is that Bannon is utterly batshit, and didn't have/need a reason.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ancient History wrote:

Considering Bannon didn't live there, only his likely crazy wife/ex-wife, this sounds more likely than anything. While she was in Florida, she filed a restraining order against a dude who later filed a restraining order against her; she was also caught smuggling pot to another dude in prison.

Bonus: Bannon only had that Florida house to avoid state income taxes.

Last edited by Shiritai on Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pseudo Stupidity
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Is Trump already preparing to destroy all the agencies he doesn't like? That EO looks pretty fucking dangerous.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Breitbart posts leaked audio from October of Ryan saying he won't defend Trump now, or in the future. Note: link goes to Breibart. Click at your own peril.
DSMatticus
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

While Bannon's padlocked, acid-damaged party house for his ex-wife is a fucking weird story, I was more interested in the recent revelation that Roger Stone was communicating with Guccifer 2.0 while serving as a Trump campaign advisor.

Back in august, Roger Stone said he'd been in touch with Assange and accurately predicted an upcoming email dump. Wikileaks denied having any contact whatsoever with Stone. Stone then changed his story, saying he was getting his info through a "common friend" and then later accurately predicted yet another upcoming email dump. Now, the obvious explanation is that this "common friend" doesn't fucking exist and that Wikileaks were in fact communicating with members of the Trump campaign to give them a heads up about their activites. But it turns out that maybe they were both telling the truth, and the common friend Stone mentioned was the fucking Russian government. See, Guccifer 2.0 is not a real person. It's an online persona under which Russian intelligence agencies disseminate info for the purposes of credibility and deniability.

So while no one has access to any explicitly incriminating statements, Stone's predictions of upcoming leaks were made publicly (at rallies and on twitter) and he's been forced to admit contact with Russian cyberespionage assets (claiming he did not know they were Russian at the time). It does not take a genius to put 2+2 together and conclude that the Russians were feeding info about their efforts to the Trump campaign through at least one staff member, presumably for the purposes of maximizing its political impact, which is in every meaningful way willful, deliberate collusion.

Does the conspiracy go all the way up to Trump? Was he a complete idiot? Was he vaguely aware but kept deliberately away in order to avoid incriminating himself? Was he aware and complicit through intermediaries like Stone? Who the fuck knows? Will the revelation that a Trump campaign advisor who predicted the Podesta email hack in advance likely only managed to do so because he was in contact with the Russian cyberespionage effort force Republicans to concede to a real investigation? Of course not! Will I get to put my dick on SlyJohnny's face and make him slobber all over deez nuts? In the metaphorical sense, absolutely.

I mean, it wasn't who I predicted. I would have thought it would have been Paul Manafort, or that billionaire asshole who helped put a "former" Russian spy on the board of a European bank, or... any of the other people around Trump with very well-documented ties to the Russian government. Not that any of that lot have been proved innocent, mind - only that they aren't the ones we found damning evidence about yet. But hey, I did in fact fucking call it. Sure, it was obvious, but that just makes it all the more satisfying to rub in SlyJohnny's face. It being my balls, just so we're clear.

Last edited by DSMatticus on Tue Mar 14, 2017 7:36 pm; edited 2 times in total
virgil
King

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ugh...someone made a comment that Trump is one of the most corrupt presidents we have ever had. Some bloke comes in with "citations, please"
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Hiram McDaniels
Master

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

virgil wrote:
Ugh...someone made a comment that Trump is one of the most corrupt presidents we have ever had. Some bloke comes in with "citations, please"

Did you tell him: "Open any newspaper, turn on any news channel, shit look out your goddamn front door you thick fuck"?
Shatner
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be fair, asking for a source is not an inherently bad thing to do. However, the fact that it is almost trivially easy to furnish said sources should say a lot.
OgreBattle
Prince

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
Breitbart posts leaked audio from October of Ryan saying he won't defend Trump now, or in the future. Note: link goes to Breibart. Click at your own peril.

Is he the guy who's secretly for green energy and got texas to build wind farms by not mentioning the environment at all
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

To be honest, a lot of people are sufficiently stupid that you probably could get more support for renewable energy if you don't use words like "renewable", "green" or "environment" and only focus on words like "cheap", "affordable", "in great supply", "ready for exploitation" and so on. I mean, people avoid "Energy-Saving, Environmentally Friendly" lightbulbs but really like those "Longer lasting, more light less waste" ones. Which are in fact the same thing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28, 29, 30  Next
Page 20 of 30

Jump to: