The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Trump Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 49, 50, 51  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MGuy
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

At this point I'm fairly sure he's trying to push us into war. I trulybelieve that he wants to go ahead and 'win' the war with N Korea. He watches and believes the likes of Alex Jones and while I'm very very unfamiliar with Right Wing crazy talk I am confident that the idea has been circulated a lot within those circles.
Finally a thread about fighters!
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

MGuy wrote:
At this point I'm fairly sure he's trying to push us into war. I trulybelieve that he wants to go ahead and 'win' the war with N Korea. He watches and believes the likes of Alex Jones and while I'm very very unfamiliar with Right Wing crazy talk I am confident that the idea has been circulated a lot within those circles.

It wouldn't surprise me. He's probably aware of war making presidents more popular, and this might be the first time he can actually claim he "won" something without resorting to bullshit claims of how he's accomplished more than virtually any president in the same amount of time.
Koumei
Serious Badass

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Or the vague hope that if America is in war he gets to invoke emergency powers* that put him above the law so he can't get in trouble for the whole "election" thing.

*which may or may not exist, I don't know. Presidential accountability largely appears to be Calvinball at the best of times.
Hicks
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Man this is fucked. Getting into a nuclear war where 2 of our allies are gonna get most of the missiles and suffer most? There's just no way South Korea and Japan are not nuked if this goes forward. Cheeto-mussolini needs to be removed from office. What's the prospects on the vice president? I know he hates me personally and wants to send me to a concentration camp, but would he touch off a nuclear war?

shadzar wrote:
those training harder get more, and training less, don't get the more.

Lokathor wrote:
Commander: Ah! Adventurers! Perfect.
Tibellus: You can tell by the lobster on my head.

Stuff I've Made
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Last edited by Hicks on Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Thaluikhain
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hicks wrote:
What's the prospects on the vice president? I know he hates me personally and wants to send me to a concentration camp, but would he touch off a nuclear war?

Not an expert, but I'd go for no, as he'd be an evil PotUS, but in more of the usual ways, without the absurd thrashing about Trump does.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Hicks wrote:
Man this is fucked. Getting into a nuclear war where 2 of our allies are gonna get most of the missiles and suffer most? There's just no way South Korea and Japan are not nuked if this goes forward. Cheeto-mussolini needs to be removed from office. What's the prospects on the vice president? I know he hates me personally and wants to send me to a concentration camp, but would he touch off a nuclear war?

Probably no to the nuclear war part, but he'd also do far less to shoot himself in the foot and inadvertently slow down his party's advances. Trump's inability to get anything done with the GOP in control of every part of the federal government is pretty impressive.

Last edited by RobbyPants on Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Korwin
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
Hicks wrote:

Probably no to the nuclear war part, but he'd also do far less to shoot himself in the foot and inadvertently slow down his party's advances. Trump's inability to get anything done with the GOP in control of every part of the federal government is pretty impressive.
This sounds like you are willing to accept an nuclear war, as long as the republican president is in incompetent fool who is'nt able to shit at home.

Really hope I am misreading you...

I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Korwin wrote:
RobbyPants wrote:
Hicks wrote:

This sounds like you are willing to accept an nuclear war, as long as the republican president is in incompetent fool who is'nt able to shit at home.

Really hope I am misreading you...

It probably means he thinks the nuclear war won't happen, and while threatening it is REALLY BAD it's bad because of a whole host of negative effects (including a small percentage chance that it is realized) that still has to be weighed against competent republicans.

Competent republicans, let's not forget, successfully pass their laws that kill more people.

Also, I don't specifically know Mike Pence, but Trump likes occasional bursts of blowing things up, and then leaves it to the military unsupervised to do the blowing up when he isn't paying attention, and while those are both REALLY BAD, Pence might be a more Bushian president, and just decide to invade a country or two, which would also be worse than Trump.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, I'm not hoping for any wars. What I was saying is that I don't think Trump will start a nuclear war. I was also noting that Trump is really good at hamstringing the goals of the GOP while seemingly advocating those same goals. I would expect to see more GOP goals actually met under the hypothetical leadership of President Pence.

Hicks question was asking about Trump compared to Pence, and I was responding to that. I don't see nuclear war under either of them. I do see more shit getting done under Pence.

Last edited by RobbyPants on Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see more shit getting done under Pence. If Trump dies in office (he is old and out of shape), resigns, or even worse gets impeached Pence would be completely illegitimate. Which is a problem for Pence, both because he represents a faction of the GOP that's at its weakest state in decades and that the GOP was already in the middle of a civil war before Trump. As hard as it is to believe, Trump is the consensus choice of the GOP. All of the existing problems that Trump is having with policy? Would be even worse with him.

To that end, I support getting Trump out of office in a way that makes Pence's ascension illegitimate. I don't think it's going to happen, but I do support that course of action.

Also, not to put too fine of a point of it, but Pence is also a moron. Not that being a moron has any real bearing on a President's performance (see: Andrew Jackson and Ronald Reagan) but in addition to intelligence not having any real bearing on a regime's efficacy Pence isn't significantly smarter than Trump, anyway.
Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
If Trump dies in office (he is old and out of shape), resigns, or even worse gets impeached Pence would be completely illegitimate.

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
To that end, I support getting Trump out of office in a way that makes Pence's ascension illegitimate.

When you say "illegitimate", do you mean just in the sense that the party won't accept him as the party leader?

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
Also, not to put too fine of a point of it, but Pence is also a moron.

How so? Not that I think he's highly intelligent, but how are you gauging this, and how do you feel he compares to someone like George W Bush?
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Cite on Pence being a moron.

Personally, I don't think that W. Bush was a moron. I think he's in fact the smartest President of the Reagan regime, which isn't saying much, but I think he's of average intelligence compared to the other Presidents we've had.

RobbyPants wrote:
When you say "illegitimate", do you mean just in the sense that the party won't accept him as the party leader?
I have no doubt the GOP and even the Democratic establishment would be more than happy to work with Pence. But they're not exactly fully in charge of this dog-and-pony show. Again, remember the GOP civil war less than two years back.

The GOP right now is in the same position Jimmy Carter and the New Deal Democrats were in at 1977, only worse because they have less of a legislative cushion. They look dominating and unstoppable, but their advantage is illusory and they could very easily lose it in a couple of cycles. Pretty much the only electoral advantage Trump enjoys that Jimmy Carter didn't is that they'll almost certainly keep the Senate in 2018.
Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lago PARANOIA wrote:

I'm not really seeing "moron" in any of that. I see "fundie asshole with different sensibilities than most of us".
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
Lago PARANOIA wrote:

I'm not really seeing "moron" in any of that. I see "fundie asshole with different sensibilities than most of us".
I make a difference between fundie assholes like Ted Cruz and Mike Pence; the former of which is generally smart enough to keep his dumbass beliefs hidden. I could understand being open about it during the Clinton years, but after the W. Bush administration, any fundie as open about his fundieness as Pence should be suspected of lacking basic common sense, i.e. being a huge moron.

erik
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I dunno. The only place I see myself disagreeing with Lago is that W Bush was the smartest President of the Reagan regime. His father was smarter. Hell, he was head of the CIA and managed to set up a political dynasty with two mediocre sons as governors of large states, one of whom ascended to the presidency, and common sense would have expected the other to do the same.

Pence was my governor and is a moron, and a polite Ted Cruz is exactly how I described him to people during the election, and other Hoosiers found that description apt. Despite Indiana bleeding red he was on a path to probably lose the governor's race to the Democrat opposition before Trump tapped him.

I feel like Pence would probably get more traditional conservative evil acts done, but be less likely to end millions of peoples of lives in a sudden burst of fire. And given that, the calculus still weighs in Pence's favor to me. I do wonder what exactly Pence could accomplish that Trump failed to do. I haven't thought of anything yet.
MGuy
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

As far as I can tell, coming from Indiana myself, Pence is pretty disliked even by the people who vote Red in this state. I'll admit most of the people I get that from are older Union workers along with certain old people that live in the boonies. I am pretty sure people here in Indy don't like him either but for different reasons. During the race no one I know even through others cared that Pence was running with Trump and more people seem to vote Red because of either guns, emails, or a 'fuck the system Trump won't do anything to me'. Right now as far as I can tell the feeling is pretty much that Hillary would be just as bad and most are willing to admit Trump is dumb. There's been no real strong feelings about VP Pence. Most don't think he's done anything this entire time while a few forgot he was VP at all. Pence taking over would be fine with me if it lets us sidestep war. Double points if it comes behind an Impeachment. I don't think as many of the hardcore racists will come out to elect Pence. The Christians and homophobes might but Pence will likely lose the anti establishment and W supremacist voters.
Finally a thread about fighters!
EightWave
NPC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The chance of anyone's nuclear arsenal actually being used is so remote that it should never be considered in your political calculus. North Korea building a nuclear arsenal is not even meant as a deterrent to invasion as much as a fig leaf for China's blatant propping up of the Un regime. Making any decision based on who would be less likely to use nuclear weapons is like making a decision based on who would be better at repelling an alien invasion.
Voss
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EightWave wrote:
The chance of anyone's nuclear arsenal actually being used is so remote that it should never be considered in your political calculus. North Korea building a nuclear arsenal is not even meant as a deterrent to invasion as much as a fig leaf for China's blatant propping up of the Un regime. Making any decision based on who would be less likely to use nuclear weapons is like making a decision based on who would be better at repelling an alien invasion.

Eh. With sensible people it wouldn't be, but right at the moment it's two narcissistic nutbars who live and die based on what their mirrors whisper to them every morning. And it isn't just the nuclear option (which isn't as far off the table as you wish- I'd be willing to bet that Donald gets at least a half chub knowing he's in charge of the only country ever to use the damn things on people)

In a very real sense, it's become a very stupid game of chicken, and it's worth checking every damn day to see if one idiot or the other has completely crossed the line yet. North Korea would get squished, but if it's handled badly, it could draw China or Russia in, which would be just as bad as the nuclear option, for one, our economy is stupidly dependent on Chinese trade (as is theirs), and would probably collapse without it.

I also think you're misreading the Chinese side of things. Yeah, China likes having North Korea around, having a powerless nobody spewing crazy shit and doing senseless things like kidnapping movie directors or poisoning family members is a great distraction for what they get up to in the region.

But the blatant moves and tests are actually starting to hack China off, and embarrass them when they're trying to show off how much global influence they have (like the test during the big international conference of second tier governments they were hosting). Having a pet is one thing, having it chew at their leash is something else. The main reason it's gone as far as it has is Trump won't keep his fucking mouth shut, and they won't tolerate looking subservient to his crazy talk.
EightWave
NPC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

South Korea has one of the largest standing armies in the world and the US has about a third of a "The Surge" just kind of hanging out in South Korea and Japan at all times. North Korea's entire existence is predicated on it being a buffer state between China and this military presence as without Chinese support NK would collapse from within and be forced to start negotiating with Seoul, which would essentially initiate Korean reunification as North Korea gets conquered by smartphones and sandwiches.

No matter how much of a nutbar Un is, he knows that China will replace him faster than you can say "military coup", that's part of why he had his brother assassinated: so China would have a harder time replacing him.

And as much as it is enshrined in legend, I simply do not believe in a nuclear football that would make it as easy for 45 to launch a strike on NK as it is for him to tweet something before someone can take his phone away.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Tillerson almost resigned last summer, calling Trump a moron. Pence had to intervene to get him to stay on the rest of the year.

Trump is calling NBC fake news and demanding an apology to America.
hyzmarca
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EightWave wrote:

And as much as it is enshrined in legend, I simply do not believe in a nuclear football that would make it as easy for 45 to launch a strike on NK as it is for him to tweet something before someone can take his phone away.

The United States currently uses the two man rule regarding nuclear launches. The Secretary of Defense has to agree. But the President can fire the Secretary of Defense at any time, so this isn't actually a deterrent, since he could just work his way through the line of succession until he hits an acting SECDEF who agrees.
angelfromanotherpin
King

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2017/08/can-anyone-stop-trump-from-launching-nuclear-weapons/
Dimmy
1st Level

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

EightWave wrote:

It doesn't matter what you take comfort in "believing" -- it's true. The old Nixon-era question about "how do I know the order to launch came from a sane president?" is just as valid as it always was, and it has never been answered. And by-the-way, if you think that come the moment of truth, ANY of those spineless West Pointers would stand up and say "no sir, Mr. President, this is an unlawful order and I am relieving you of command" like they do in the movies....you clearly haven't been paying attention.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

On a related note:

Trump says that generals offer advice at too slow a pace during a crisis

Trump wrote:
I know that government bureaucracy is slow, but I am depending on you to overcome the obstacles of bureaucracy,
Stahlseele
King

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Of course he complains about the level of advice.
Because otherwise he'd have to accept that he is at fault.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 49, 50, 51  Next
Page 42 of 51

Jump to: