[Let's Play] 1-on-1 Adventure Gamebooks

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which 1-on-1 Gamebook set would you want to participate in, as whom?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 03, 2023 11:16 am

I would join the team playing the Red Dragon in Revenge of the Red Dragon.
No votes
I would join the team playing the Black Knight in Revenge of the Red Dragon.
50%
I would join the team playing the Fantastic Four in the Doomsday Device.
No votes
I would join the team playing Doctor Doom in the Doomsday Device.
No votes
I might spectate but wouldn't join in.
50%
Other (state in post).
No votes

Total votes: 2

Beroli
Prince

[Let's Play] 1-on-1 Adventure Gamebooks

Post by Beroli »

This gamebook series was published in the 1980s. Each boxed set includes two books, similar to the Duelmaster series. If we have enough interest, I'm considering two very different sets.

Set #3, Revenge of the Red Dragon, is a fantasy game where both sides have a case for being the story's protagonist. The Black Knight, Raven Quickblade, has robbed the lair of his ancestral enemy, Flametongue the Red Dragon; Flametongue wants to catch and kill him before he reaches his castle.

Set #8, the Doomsday Device, is a superhero game which is as straightforwardly good vs. evil as it gets. Doctor Doom has a new plan of conquest; the Fantastic Four wants to stop him.

Like Duelmaster, there is absolutely no guarantee of balance here.

If you're interested in playing in either of these, please vote in the poll. If you'd be interested in playing any of the four character options, vote for all four. Also feel free to ask any questions or state any caveats here.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Re: [Let's Play] 1-on-1 Adventure Gamebooks

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Are the books stat heavy? What numbers are the most important for each book? My vote will depend on the answers.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Yes, all the characters have hit points. All characters inflict fixed damage amounts. Combat is resolved by rolling two d20s and comparing the results on the X and Y coordinates of a table to discover whether the combatant scored standard damage, scored double damage, missed, or got a special event result (protagonists only for that last one). Basic hits and misses far outnumber the other two results on the combat table.
JourneymanN00b
Prince

Post by JourneymanN00b »

Tentatively voted for the Black Knight in Revenge of the Red Dragon, but my work schedule is chaotic for the next several weeks and I will be mostly dark for the Memorial Day weekend.
Say No To Fascism. The left is the one true way to go.
Beroli
Prince

Post by Beroli »

Poll ended as I pretty much expected, considering the state of the forum. Ah well. I'll test the waters again if things pick up more at some point in the future.