Let's Play - Duelmaster: Challenge of the Magi

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I'd like another game, playing a new mage, too.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

That's fine with me, too.

Either way, I'd like to confirm who I'd be facing before I finalize my character. Since I've seen 3 of SlyJohnny's games and knows a little more of his playstyle, it might affect my strategies and hence my character creation. You both know more about this game than I do, so I'd want to grab at any advantage possible. :tongue:
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I'll step aside in favour of SlyJohnny.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Thanks, Mr Shine.

I've rejiggered my character. Ready to go when you are :)
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Also, can I see the "different types of things mages can do for bonus points?"
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

SlyJohnny wrote:Thanks, Mr Shine.
No problem.

I've now read all of your thread and the last bit of Ikeren's, and will be reading the SlyJohnny/SGamerz showdown. Assuming Thaluikhain isn't thoroughly sick of it by the time there is a victor, I'd probably be interested with a game against someone else, both of us with access to the events of all prior games.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

SlyJohnny wrote:Also, can I see the "different types of things mages can do for bonus points?"
Wizard
Destroy the Altar of Darkness
Complete the quest to save the old man's daughter
Participate in the druid's Rite of the Seasons

Necromancer
Complete the quest for Sargash the Hermit
Find the horn that summons the Deathknight
Disrupt the druid's Rite of Rebirth

Pyromancer
Cause something to be stolen from your opponent
Destroy the Jug of Water (take it to a place of red magic and case the Spirit of Flame upon it)
Cause an Efreet to arise from the Oasis

Druid
Ride the unicorn
Use the Key to Limbo
Buy the Silver Scimitar

Sorceror
Sit upon the Seat of All-Seeing Wonder
Find three scrolls of greater magic
Kill the salamander

Magician
Visit all sixteen areas in the Land (Tick them off as you do so)
Save Radamanthis from Death
Hire a mercenary

I was only going to bring those up if someone actually fulfilled one. One person has fulfilled one of those for another kind of mage, and a wizard did participate in the Rite of Rebirth, which might be the same as the Rite of the Seasons (the Rite of Rebirth also being called the Ritual of Rebirth). It wasn't called that in any of the sections I can see, though, so maybe there is another druidic rite elsewhere in the book that I've not yet seen that is called the Rite of the Seasons.

Also seems odd that a wizard gets bonus points for participating in a druidic rite but a druid does not.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I've created my character in the Mage 3 thread!
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I stopped reading these, but I did look at this thread and am realizing that this is far more vast and complex than I realized.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

How do you mean? It's basically a CYOA you play simultaneously, and you fight if you bump into each other.
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

Like, actual quests that don't resolve in a single location, things only certain classes can do.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Congratulations, SGamerz! That was very enjoyable.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

And after a much longer game than usual we have a winner:
Lavan Firestorm

Boner wasn't doing as well as Lavan early on in the game, but was able to overcome this and put up a decent challenge

Oh, both mages fulfilled one of the objectives for their type of mage. Lavan also did one of the necromancers' and Boner did two of the pyromancers' and one of the wizards'. I think both visited every land.
A lot more of the Rainbow Land was explored, all sorts of items found (and some lost or stolen), sidequests completed and cunning plans made.

I do find it curious that there was no use of the Focus spell...ah well, saved you from bad Ariana Grande references, I guess.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Thanks for a really entertaining game, SlyJohnny and Thaluikhain!

I was getting really nervous when
the shield got stolen. After the first two encounters with each other, I'm sure both of us worked what spells the other mage has, and majority of my own spells were useless against him (and vice versa, for the most part), so whomever had the advantage in physical combat was pretty important. Once he stole the shield, my only likely chance of victory was to catch him in the Green zones, which was why I tried so hard to find the other half of the Ring of Summoning. That was why I wasted a theft on the gold ring, which i thought might be the ring to the Gem I was carrying.

Finding that Orb probably was the deciding factor. Being able to track your opponent all the time had the potential to be game-breaking. And it was a Necromancer's bonus quest too! I'm so glad I found that first. :)
Thaluikhain wrote:I do find it curious that there was no use of the Focus spell...
Didn't I use one of those? I needed that too, I almost ran out of CP no less than twice.
Last edited by SGamerz on Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I wish I could have stolen the Orb. Then I could've done that two-gold loop in the House of Masuolus one or twice, and stolen your Bones of the Earth. But I didn't know at the time what item was letting you see me.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

SGamerz wrote:
Thaluikhain wrote:I do find it curious that there was no use of the Focus spell...
Didn't I use one of those? I needed that too, I almost ran out of CP no less than twice.
Ah yes, looking back you did once.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

That grotto that gotI revealed seemed interesting. I wonder of that's where the Silver Key to that black door is. I think we found most of the good stuff between us, except that and "the horn that summons the death knight" and the scimitar.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Congrats to SGamerz. Watching both threads more or less satisfied all my curiosities about the Rainbow Land, enough that I no longer have any interest in playing another game.

If there are no further games though I do have some nagging curiosities I wouldn't mind the answer to. If there are further games I will just sit back and hope they get answered.

Spoilers naturally, don't read this box if you intend to play:
Assuming this is the same key, the most in depth quest we saw seems to be the key to Limbo. You need to go to the Garden, choose the right option from several, go to the forest, get forced to have a long WAIT, choose the right option with only one shot at getting it right, go back to the garden, go to the Rainbow Inn and unlock the door. What is in Limbo?

What does the crystal of power do if you're willing to be Creeping Doomed and then fight the aggrieved bloke to get it?

What is with the throne in the tower? Sgamerz tries it and it did nothing. Is is just a decorative red herring or was there codeword, item or alignment lock that Sgamerz failed? If so, what does the throne do if you have the right codeword/item/alignment?

You don't mention recording a codeword/being asked about a codeword when using the shrine. Is it a one-off thing or can it be used repeatedly?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

The shrine of death was repeatable, including mugging Ashmodel for his ring.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Ok, I've read the other thread and realized I had a closer call than I knew. If SlyJohnny hadn't lost the Efreet's magic bag that counters Spirit of the Flame's counterspell, the results might have been very much different due to loss of items!

I'm inclined to think that
the Shrine of Martyr was possibly the "good" counterpart to the evil shrine in the House of Mausoleum, so that characters of both alignments can have a place to repeatedly heal themselves. No idea if I'm right, though.
Adding on a question myself:
What happens if you tell the Black Knight you want to avenge your mother?

Does stealing the horse work? Does it only work if you have the Druid's spell to befriend animals?

What other animal companions can be picked up with the Druid's spell?

What does Bless actually do?
Mr Shine already asked about the crystal that I almost tried going for. Besides what it does, I'm wondering if:
Killing the wolf Silvermane who's reputed to have killed Illexmanan would be any help here, maybe make the mummy more benevolent?
Or maybe having the shield of the guy who waged war against Illexmanan would give any additional protection?
And of course there's the list of bonus stuff we haven't uncovered, how do we find these:
Find the horn that summons the Deathknight
Cause something to be stolen from your opponent
Destroy the Jug of Water (take it to a place of red magic and case the Spirit of Flame upon it)
Ride the unicorn
Buy the Silver Scimitar
Sit upon the Seat of All-Seeing Wonder
Save Radamanthis from Death
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

After looking at the Items with counter-to-counterspell powers and their location, I have an idea about the Crystal, not sure if I'm right:
Does it counter the counterspell to Creeping Doom (which is how the mummy can curse you with the spell without the player getting to use a counterspell)? He was an ancient Druid, after all. Although if so its power might be a little underwhelming.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Much of the Rainbow Land has been explored, I don't know if it'd be worth another game.

However, if anyone still wants to play, I'd hold out on answering those questions for the time being.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

If there're any other interested players I'm happy to play another round, although whomever that joins should definitely read the previous games first given how much I already know about the lands at this point.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

SlyJohnny wrote:The shrine of death was repeatable, including mugging Ashmodel for his ring.
I meant Emiterus's shrine.
On on hand he starts by saying "I haven't seen a duel for a long time", on the other Thaluikhain didn't give a codeword.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

While I'll wait a little while to see if anyone else wants another game before divulging anything secret, I can confirm that there's no codewords for that shrine, you can use it as many times as you want.

It says "It is some time since I have witnessed a good duel", so maybe if you fight but someone runs away rather than fighting to the death it doesn't count or something. Or maybe by "some time" he means 30 minutes, but I might be stretching a bit there.