The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Immigration for Americans to other countries
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
OgreBattle
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:15 am    Post subject: Immigration for Americans to other countries Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A friend of mine is considering fleeing to Australia, that got me thinking about where good places to run away to would be and what the requirements are.

For Australia I've heard it's basically $400 and having $5000 in the bank.
https://www.migrationexpert.com.au/australian_visa/

Last edited by OgreBattle on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:22 am; edited 1 time in total
GreatGreyShrike
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The website advertising Cape Breton if Trump wins is amusing, but there's a reason that population in CB has been in sharp decline - mostly people move away to find work. Canada is still a nice country though.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My wife has been talking about Canada. To the point that she didn't want to unpack the dishes we bought on Saturday, in case Trump won. Now, it looks like I have to talk her out of moving.
Lago PARANOIA
Invincible Overlord

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

People like you are the reason why Trump won, you know.
Your freedom to make rulings up on the fly is in direct conflict with my freedom to interact with an internally consistent narrative. Your freedom to run/play a game without needing to understand a complex rule system is in direct conflict with my freedom to play a character whose abilities and flaws function as I intended within that ruleset. Your freedom to add and change rules in the middle of the game is in direct conflict with my ability to understand that rules system before I decided whether or not to join your game.

In short, your entire post is dismissive of not merely my intelligence, but my agency. And I don't mean agency as a player within one of your games, I mean my agency as a person. You do not want me to be informed when I make the fundamental decisions of deciding whether to join your game or buying your rules system.
virgil
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Fuck you and your victim blaming. Trump won because of Trump supporters.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Mask_De_H
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lago, it's nice to see you back but you can fuck right back off to the hole you crawled out of.
Red_Rob
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I always wondered why Lago disappeared, I'm quite surprised to find out it was due to politics. I would have never figured that Lago did a Tzor.

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them, and these will continue till they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
Winnah
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Immigration for Americans to other countries Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OgreBattle wrote:
A friend of mine is considering fleeing to Australia, that got me thinking about where good places to run away to would be and what the requirements are.

I'll take a stab at your requirements. You're looking for a majority white, liberal, western democracy. That rules out South Africa, Zimbabwe or Hong Kong. Anywhere on the Asian or African continents, really.

South America and Central America is out of the question. That leaves Europe, Australia, North America and Antarctica. You obviously wont be going to Mexico, amirite?

re: Australia. Fuck off, we're full.

As for Europe, you'll probably want to avoid Turkey and anywhere east of Poland, with the communists.

You need useful skills or money to live in Antarctica, I'll assume you have neither.

So that leave you with western Europe and Canada. Europe is having something of an immigration crisis at the moment, so your only real choice is Canada. A fucking leaf. Stay out of Nova Scotia.
Count Arioch the 28th
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't think many countries accept barely functioning people with severe mental illnesses so it looks like I'm riding this one out. I'm kind of disinclined to leave the country anyway, I'm terrible at learning new languages and I'm not leaving my cat and spiders behind.
Shrapnel
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Couldn't you just take them with you?

sendaz
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The spiders probably wouldn't be a problem unless something really unusual. Cats would depend on country, but if they are microchipped, got their full list of shots and have their pet passport, a lot of times you don't need to quarantine like the old days.
Shrapnel
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I had no idea cats used to be dangerous.

sendaz
Journeyman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well its mostly for rabies control.
RobbyPants
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Lago PARANOIA wrote:
People like you are the reason why Trump won, you know.

Wait... Trump won because I voted for Clinton?

I guess anything you have to say to come back here and prove to us all you were right.
virgil
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My skills are being an experienced, yet mediocre, manufacturing engineer. Oh, and a 5 year old graduate education in energy engineering. To be honest, I'm essentially without value to any other country I might consider moving to.
...You Lost Me
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apparently it takes 6 years to become a Canadian citizen and may have to pay US taxes still? Either way, I am tied to the US for personal reasons until around the next election time, so I can't really contemplate moving to Canada.
Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:
I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Shrapnel
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
My skills are being an experienced, yet mediocre, manufacturing engineer. Oh, and a 5 year old graduate education in energy engineering. To be honest, I'm essentially without value to any other country I might consider moving to.

Ha! I am clearly the most valueless person here. I only had some community college experience before dropping out, and the only work experience I've had is just over a year working at Dunkin' Donuts! I don't think they even have those outside the States! I think the only country I'm qualified to work at is Alaska.

As an aside, most of my coworkers at Dunkins are Hispanic, black, or Muslim (some from India and some from Bangladesh). In fact, I'm one of literally three white dudes in a workforce of about thirty to forty. I honestly have no idea what will happen to them now in a Trump dictatorship.

deaddmwalking
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There may be a silver lining to all of this...

The Republicans have been extremely successful in part because of the redistricting that occurred in 2010. We have 4 years of a Republican President and at least 2 years of a Republican Senate/House. Over the last several years they've been obstructionist but haven't actually DONE anything. That's going to change. Now, as long as there is still a country in 2020, a massive Democratic wave would allow a 'reset' to balance Republican/Democratic positions going forward.
...You Lost Me
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

deaddmwalking wrote:
There may be a silver lining to all of this...

The Republicans have been extremely successful in part because of the redistricting that occurred in 2010. We have 4 years of a Republican President and at least 2 years of a Republican Senate/House. Over the last several years they've been obstructionist but haven't actually DONE anything. That's going to change. Now, as long as there is still a country in 2020, a massive Democratic wave would allow a 'reset' to balance Republican/Democratic positions going forward.

I agree, I think this is a possibility. Especially seeing how liberal our younger generation is. People who will be voting in the 2020 election are 14-17 right now. If Republican policies fall apart, and the gerrymandering isn't aggressive enough to cut out Democratic votes, we may get a surge in liberal policy.

The Supreme Court is still going to be conservative until at least 2030, but one can hope for the future.

Also, this should probably be in the Election 2016 thread.
Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:
I invented saying mean things about Tussock.

Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:17 pm; edited 3 times in total
spongeknight
Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Immigration for Americans to other countries Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Winnah wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:

I'll take a stab at your requirements. You're looking for a majority white, liberal, western democracy. That rules out South Africa, Zimbabwe or Hong Kong. Anywhere on the Asian or African continents, really.

This... this is a joke, right? You are discussing your options for escaping a government you call a "white supremacy dictatorship" and you immediately say black and latino countries are off the table? Please tell me you're trolling these other idiots and you're not actually that hypocritically stupid.

Voss wrote:
Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
virgil
King

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe they think that white nations are more likely to have English speakers? The language barrier is going to be hard
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

virgil wrote:
Maybe they think that white nations are more likely to have English speakers? The language barrier is going to be hard

Since they used that to rule out South Africa, where English is the primary language, I'm going to say nope, Winnah just a racist fuck.
Leress
Prince

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Seriously, it's hard to keep track of who said what.
Pixels
Knight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

It feels like every election people talk about moving to another country. So few actually do. Ripping up your life, leaving your friends and family behind, adapting to a new cultural and political environment - it will turn your life upside down. You have to really want it.

If you do, then I wouldn't immigrate in haste. Take some time to learn about the cultural and political environment in the country. Visit in-person, preferrably for several weeks. Put your ducks in a row - immigration requirements and paperwork, moving plans, housing, work. Begin to build a network of people you know there, even if it's just through the internet. Let the idea marinate for a few months, and if you're still as gung ho about it as you were just after the election, then go for it.
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'll totally marry one of you if you want UK citizenship. We're a couple years away from Brexit and our populace is just as dumb and rascist as yours, but our fascist leaders are usually more polite about it, and the dog whistling is more subtle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: