Chamomile's Humble Duplicate Giveaway

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

Chamomile
Prince

Chamomile's Humble Duplicate Giveaway

Post by Chamomile »

Digging through all the assorted keys that came along with various Humble Bundles I've purchased over the last nine months, I have a bunch of duplicates that came packaged with games I actually wanted, plus some stuff that's just far outside genres I have any interest in. If anyone wants a giftcode for any of the following games, post here and I will PM them to you. First come, first serve.

-Borderlands GOTY
-Stronghold: Legends
-Pony Island
-The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing (it's kind of like Diablo)
-Magicka
-Darkest Dungeon
-ARMA Gold Edition
-Poly Bridge (tragically, that's "poly" as in "polygon," rather than referring to large pieces of infrastructure in open relationships with one another)
-Kingdom: New Lands
-Mighty No. 9
-NBA 2K17, for some reason
Last edited by Chamomile on Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

I'll take one of everything!

More seriously, I'd love to take Darkest Dungeon off your hands and the missus would probably get a kick out of Pony Island, though I don't want to be greedy.

EDIT: While we're on the topic, I should have spare keys for They Bleed Pixels (a cute little Cthulhu-esque rage-lite platformer which I enjoyed), No Time To Explain Remastered (a mediocre Newgrounds-style platformer in which you propel yourself around with a laser cannon, like rocket jumping but not, and less fun), and SpeedRunners (which seems completely pointless if you don't have friends who are still playing it). I say 'should,' because my Humble is a confusing mess. If anyone wants any of those, let me know, and if they turn out to have already been redeemed I will be appropriately embarrassed and apologetic.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Darkest Dungeon is claimed. I'll sit on Pony Island for a couple of days, and if no one else wants it, you can have two.

EDIT: I got my copy of There's No Time To Explain and my spare Darkest Dungeon from the same bundle - you may wish to doublecheck and see if you already have an unredeemed Darkest Dungeon copy.
Last edited by Chamomile on Fri Apr 06, 2018 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Whipstitch
Prince

Re: Chamomile's Humble Duplicate Giveaway

Post by Whipstitch »

Chamomile wrote: -NBA 2K17, for some reason
I'd take it. It's been a while since I raged against the tyranny of career mode microtransactions.
bears fall, everyone dies
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

May I have The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing, good and kind sir?
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

If no one wants Mighty No. 9, I'd take that off your hands. Could use some good old fashioned megaman nostaligia
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

I'll take Magicka, if you don't mind. I've always wanted to try being a Swedish wizard.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

Gift codes for Magicka, Mighty No. 9, and NBA 2K17 have been sent out. Also, new rule: If you have wasted enough of my time to get put on my ignore list, I am not going to click through to your post just to give you a free video game. I'm pretty sure I hate Pariah Dog, but I can't actually remember why, and apparently it wasn't bad enough for me to put him on ignore, so he gets to stay, but I don't care to find out which game maglag is requesting.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Grek wrote:I'll take Magicka, if you don't mind. I've always wanted to try being a Swedish wizard.
Just remember; if you manage to blow yourself up with a spell, that's a solid proof of concept. Now do it again without that bit. This is the secret to ultimate cosmic power as discovered by Simon the Mostly Unsinged, shortly before his untimely death, having accidentally hit shift+RMB instead of shift+LMB.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sat Apr 07, 2018 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Chamomile wrote:Gift codes for Magicka, Mighty No. 9, and NBA 2K17 have been sent out. Also, new rule: If you have wasted enough of my time to get put on my ignore list, I am not going to click through to your post just to give you a free video game. I'm pretty sure I hate Pariah Dog, but I can't actually remember why, and apparently it wasn't bad enough for me to put him on ignore, so he gets to stay, but I don't care to find out which game maglag is requesting.
Oh well, still a nice gesture of you to go around sharing your extra game codes, plus I got to know about The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing which looks interesting enough to me I may just buy it myself later.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is cheesy ARPG fun. Gets a *bit* repetitive after a while. Grab the Final Cut version off GOG to get the whole trilogy as one game, instead of needing to do a bunch of save-importing shenanigans.

That said, I'd appreciate that copy of Poly Bridge. Streamer I watch recommends it highly.
Pariah Dog
Knight

Post by Pariah Dog »

Hadanelith wrote:The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is cheesy ARPG fun. Gets a *bit* repetitive after a while. Grab the Final Cut version off GOG to get the whole trilogy as one game, instead of needing to do a bunch of save-importing shenanigans.
Didn't know about the 3rd one, gave up on the second when it nerfed my build imported from the first into the ground.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

DSMatticus wrote:
Grek wrote:I'll take Magicka, if you don't mind. I've always wanted to try being a Swedish wizard.
Just remember; if you manage to blow yourself up with a spell, that's a solid proof of concept. Now do it again without that bit. This is the secret to ultimate cosmic power as discovered by Simon the Mostly Unsinged, shortly before his untimely death, having accidentally hit shift+RMB instead of shift+LMB.
The exploding ice thing? It's actually usable with shift+RMB without killing yourself if you also have a teleport item (could also use the teleport spell but it has a tendency to explode early sometimes if it hits something). Still kinda risky though. If you have and manage to cast summon phoenix before the explosion, you might be able to revive yourself, but the timing is tricky.

Anyway, there are some handy tips for Magicka on the links at the bottom of this page for anyone curious.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:24 am, edited 6 times in total.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

That's way more complicated than necessary. There are shield self-casts that will allow you to survive that spell and virtually any other you might want to risk - it's just that you generally don't need them for a shift+LMB because it directs the AoE away from you instead of around you, so you simply shuffle away as fast as your tiny little wizard feet will take you. But I was trying not to be too specific with my silliness, because half the fun of Magicka is finding out the rules of magic, and then how to apply them for maximum armageddon, and then how not to blow yourself up while doing so. Reading the 'meta' beforehand is like... reading spoilers. No, the only things I would really want to tell a new player is:

There are 10 elements; the 8 basic ones, water+cold combine to make ice, and water+fire combine to make steam. Each element has a 'type' for its behavior that decides what it looks like when you cast it, and these types have a priority order that decide which gets used when you're casting multi-element spells. From highest priority to lowest:
Shield (shield)
Projectile (earth, ice)
Beam (arcane, life)
Spray (fire, cold, water, lightning, steam)

So if you cast earth + life, the end result will be a healing rock and not a rocky healbeam. Projectile has priority over beam, so the end result is earth's projectile carrying the effects of the life element. There is some weirdness here. For example, earth and ice are both projectile spells, but they're not the same kind of projectile; earth is a boulder, ice is a barrage of icicles. I know that earth takes priority over ice, so earth + ice is an icy boulder. The various sprays behave differently, but I can't be assed to remember how that works and it rarely matters since they're all low priority and so many of them combine or are opposites and blah blah blah.

Shield is the most complicated and interesting element in the game, because the entire complexity of the rest of the magick system ocurs again within the behavior of the shield element. It can be used to create forcefields, walls (projectile-equivalents), mines (beam-equivalents) and storms (spray-equivalents). It's been years since I last played (though I'm feeling pretty tempted to revisit it now), so I have absolutely no idea what the finer specifics of those interactions are. Shield's name implies it is defensive, but with the right spell and the right casting method it can absolutely be used offensively.

The game does a terrible job of explaining its priority system, but once you understand it (and you've played long enough to see what the different priority types (shields, projectiles, beams, and sprays) do in each of the four casting methods (regular cast, area cast, self cast, and weapon enchant)) you can reproduce all the cool shit you'd find online by yourself. I didn't read about the 'exploding ice thing,' I just saw that I could do that while dicking around in my first playthrough (and was later pleased yet not at all surprised to learn it was a popular murder spell). The rules are simple enough to reason through on the fly, but the results are complex enough to make it fun to do so. But the priority system is definitely something I wish I'd read about before touching the game, instead of discovering it on my own. It's time-consuming to work through, not a particularly interesting exercise in trial and error, and yet incredibly easy to understand once you've figured it out. It's the perfect candidate for 'read the fucking pamphlet'.

The only other advice I'd give is that water/steam make people wet, even when used as elements on other spells, and wet is an extremely powerful status condition. Wet people take double damage from lightning, and are frozen by cold. People who are frozen take triple damage from everything. Wetting enemies helps turn entire categories of magick from 'meh' to 'viable,' and if you neglect it you will think the game is much more limited than it actually is. This is a mistake I made for a long time.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.