The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
Fallen London: GURPS Goblins online?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:51 am    Post subject: Fallen London: GURPS Goblins online? Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Some time last week I came across a web story game called Fallen London; and in playing the time-metered "storylets" that encapsulate various narrative paths a player can take; I kept wondering what seemed so familiar about this setting where In the 'Neath of London, Hell's Ambassadors court new agents, "Rubbery" Men attempt to communicate with untentacled landdwellers, and Clay Men are your arm-wrestling capstones.

In the end, I realized that this game was borrowing much of its narrative from Gurps: Goblins. The styles of occupations felt similar to what I read in the review made on Gurps Goblins. Rats are both a type of labourer (interesting); and hunted for food (wat?). Most of the "honest" labour involves being insulting in taverns or writing incendiary articles; robbing the rich or catching cats; fighting in bars or murdering giant rat queens; or being a professional stalker/investigator. As well as the heavy supernatural evil themes that the setting presents.

As a game, it's meh. Limited by the typical "action meter" on a timed refresh (albeit, 10 min per action, & 20 max isn't terrible). However it does rely upon a basic 4-stat system (Watchful, Persuasive, Dangerous, Shadowy) with other traits modifying the player character's status within the overall game world (e.g. you can't interact with horrible things; unless you have Nightmares at X+).
Lokamayadon
NPC

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:05 pm    Post subject: Lokamayadon Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

If you like the setting and writing you could try Sunless Sea.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, the FL page also has ads for their Zubmariner game as well.

The naval games are within the same setting, but their gameplay focus is very different from the naval games; and I've played countless games like (i.e. top down vessel navigation) them in the past.
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I will fight you for not liking Fallen London. The writing is absolutely stellar and the slow-burn narrative so captures that Lovecraftian feeling of impending doom and feeling outmatched by a vast, horrifying universe.

I can't big up the writing enough. The tone is usually wry, acerbically funny, deliciously cynical and laconic. It's my longest running addiction.
Blasted
Knight-Baron

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The writing's awesome, but I gave up after the grind started to take its toll.
Doing the same action again and again loses its luster quickly.
Longes
Prince

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Judging__Eagle wrote:
Yeah, the FL page also has ads for their Zubmariner game as well.

The naval games are within the same setting, but their gameplay focus is very different from the naval games; and I've played countless games like (i.e. top down vessel navigation) them in the past.

Zubmariner is a DLC for Sunless Sea.
While they do play differently from Fallen London, the focus is absolutely not on top down vessel navigation. The core part of the gameplay are port-bound text adventures. Everything else is just a grindy slog to get to them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: