Wulfenblimp
Gargantuan Object
AC 4 (-5 Dex, -4 size, +3 natural)
Gondola hp 90, hardness 5; 10’ by 15’ interior cabin
Envelope hp 60, hardness 0; ½ damage from ranged weapons
  • @ 30hp - Automatic descension
    @ 15hp - Falls as if under feather fall
    @ 0hp - Fall normally
Speed 120’ fly (special maneuverability)
  • Maximum Speed 120’; Acceleration 5’
    Elevation Change 5’/rd
    Rotate 45°/15’
Market Price 3.000gp

Airship Rules
Obviously, I’m setting these up to be relatively cheap for players. Maneuverability I’m using is very roughly ‘realistic’, and basically sets it up as immobile in combat time. I’m undecided at this exact moment on navigation and piloting, and am debating whether to steal from Pathfinder’s vehicle rules.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Steal the rules. Pathfinder practically stole D&D, so why not? Not like you're for-profit.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

JonSetanta wrote:Pathfinder practically stole D&D, so why not?
If it's not good, then using it would be 'meh'.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Grek
Prince

Post by Grek »

Check out Ships of Skyborne. It's actually quite good as far as vehicle rules go.
Chamomile wrote:Grek is a national treasure.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Using existing skills for piloting/repairing vehicles seems the least parasitic way to do vehicles. You can also add something like 'aid another' checks for a large crew, or the strong guy lifting heavy stuff and turning hard to turn things to help with combat repairs.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

The 3e Arms & Equipment Guide also has Soarwhales. I recall that I wrote out a "Soarwhale Express" write-up for a contest on the WoTC boards; The Whale's Stats, one or two NPCs, and some side-quests involving PCs netting birds living on the back of the whale itself; but it's probably lost when those boards shuttered.

[edit]
OgreBattle wrote:Using existing skills for piloting/repairing vehicles seems the least parasitic way to do vehicles. You can also add something like 'aid another' checks for a large crew, or the strong guy lifting heavy stuff and turning hard to turn things to help with combat repairs.
Look at how Koumei handled "vehicles" in Dungeon Crusade. I'd probably use that style of mechanics for just about any other game where PCs can ride vehicles. Possibly even for After Sundown.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Koumei wrote:Vehicles:

So, vehicles are handled like this: they are essentially animated objects that you control. Their type is Construct, and if they do not move they are flat-footed. If they do move, they treat their Dex bonus as +1 per ten feet moved in that round - so if a vehicle speeds 250 feet up to you, it seriously has +25 AC.

Additionally, vehicles have both a pool of HP and a pool of Temporary HP. This Temporary HP can be repaired up to its maximum just like regular HP. If anything causes it to suffer actual HP damage, then it must attempt a Fort Save (DC = 10 + damage dealt). If it fails, it is shaken up and cannot fire any weapons or make any attacks for 1 round.

If it fails by 5 or more then it spins to a halt and is treated as Stunned for 1 round.

If it fails by more than 10, something important is damaged, and the vehicle is rendered Immobile. It cannot move, has a Dex mod of +0, is flat-footed and can only fire weapons, not make melee attacks. If it was flying, it starts to fall and will crash.

Vehicles are totally subject to critical hits and sneak attack damage, it just requires a DC 15 Know (Engineering) check. Additionally, the Armour provides an Armour bonus to AC, and is also DR/-.

Chimera Military Transport:
Maximum Speed: 180' (Swim 100')
Armour: +7
Size: Huge (Long)
Carry Capacity: Gunner, Pilot and 12 passengers
HP: 60 Temp: 60
Fort +10, Ref +3, Will +6
"Trample" 4d8+20
Stability, Bullrush +28
*6 Hull-mounted Lasguns (passenger-operated)
*Optional: 1 Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter or Heavy Stubber
*Optional: 1 Hunter-Killer Missile
*Turret: Multi-laser or Auto-cannon or Heavy Bolter
*Hull: Heavy Bolter or Heavy Flamer
That's a straightforward way to do it. You could also write up swift/move/standard/full actions for different vehicles or states, like a damaged blimp takes a full round action to steer