[OSSR] Otherverse America Campaign Setting

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Leress
Prince

[OSSR] Otherverse America Campaign Setting

Post by Leress »

Wow it’s been a while. *Looks at last review*. Well, shit six years since the last review. So last time I reviewed the awesomely bad Black Tokyo, since then author Chris Field has made supplements to that setting, which I will review in due time. This time we are looking at a new setting in a future America after the Second Civil War which was based around the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life debate.

What to expect from this review product:
  • "Mature" subject matter
    Terrible art, hell I might put the SFW ones up
    Variable mechanics
    Jank-ass story telling
So pop your morning-after pill or just leave the condoms at the store because we are in for a wild ride* through the world of Otherverse America.

*rides may be wilder than they appear.

This is a free supplement:
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/601 ... gn-Setting

I will try to bring updates at somewhat regular basis over this month.
Last edited by Leress on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:22 am, edited 5 times in total.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Re: [OSSR] Otherverse America Campaign Setting

Post by Rawbeard »

Leress wrote: the Second Civil War which was based around the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life debate.
Is this a parody product?
Last edited by Rawbeard on Sat Oct 15, 2016 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Rawbeard wrote:
Leress wrote: the Second Civil War which was based around the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life debate.
Is this a parody product?
Nope.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Wait, it's serious? This gunna be gud.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

I'm guessing this is for d20 Modern, correct?
sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

maglag wrote:Wait, it's serious? This gunna be gud.
Depends, the Fetus-Grenades are not for the faint of heart.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

hogarth wrote:I'm guessing this is for d20 Modern, correct?
Yes.
]
Hadanelith
Master

Post by Hadanelith »

Having received this for free, and read through the whole thing with a kind of horrified fascination: brace yourself. This thing is Special. Couple of neat cyberpunk sorts of setting ideas, LOADS of terrible, generally offensive setting ideas. Minimal balance. Oh, and CONSTANT reference to mechanics and concepts from another one of the authors settings, which ends up being confusing as FUCK. This is a wild sort of ride, and it's going to offend you in some way, no matter who you are. Strap in.
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

I couldn't resist, I had to google this thing. the art is... amazingly Special.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Hadanelith: As a rule, things don't offend me. It's part of my philosophy that I do not take offense. I try to embody the belief that offense is only ever taken, never given, so the verb "offend" is meaningless.

That said I mean...yeah, I'm not perfect or even close. I don't adhere perfectly my to philosophy. I actually kind of suck at it?

But that's still saying, I doubt there is something in this book that will offend me. And if it does, it will probably be something like really bad game balance. The basic premise is...whatever.

Disclosure: I have been considering making a game along similar themes for years, but in my game it's the Cliven Bundy analogue-lead NRA-tards and the survivalists and the preppers (your kinda real-life proto-NSF from Deus Ex in other words) who start the second civil war over their "OBAMA GONE TAKE OUR COMPLETELY LEGITIMATELY NEEDED HUNTING/ASSAULT WEAPONS" paranoia, not the pro-choice/pro-life debate. I think this automatically makes my idea automatically less stupid because the people I just described are literally trying to stockpile more guns than the US military, making a civil war emphatically more likely. The twist obviously is that the game's default assumption is that you play as these hopelessly outgunned, sadly misinformed right-wing fucknuts, although I always planned to have an option to let PCs play as actual GI-Joes too, i.e. special forces doing raids across the border into...Washington State.

The working title of the project was "Gun" "Gun." or "Gun!" or "GUN", something to that effect, but I think there's a really bad Original XBox game with basically that name?
Last edited by Neurosis on Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Leress wrote: This time we are looking at a new setting in a future America after the Second Civil War which was based around the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life debate.
So, did they make peace by outlawing abortion but legalizing infanticide, thus making both sides happy?
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

hyzmarca wrote:
Leress wrote: This time we are looking at a new setting in a future America after the Second Civil War which was based around the Pro-Choice and Pro-Life debate.
So, did they make peace by outlawing abortion but legalizing infanticide, thus making both sides happy?
I will get to that when I start the review.
]
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Neurosis wrote:Hadanelith: As a rule, things don't offend me. It's part of my philosophy that I do not take offense. I try to embody the belief that offense is only ever taken, never given, so the verb "offend" is meaningless.

That said I mean...yeah, I'm not perfect or even close. I don't adhere perfectly my to philosophy. I actually kind of suck at it?

But that's still saying, I doubt there is something in this book that will offend me. And if it does, it will probably be something like really bad game balance. The basic premise is...whatever.

Disclosure: I have been considering making a game along similar themes for years, but in my game it's the Cliven Bundy analogue-lead NRA-tards and the survivalists and the preppers (your kinda real-life proto-NSF from Deus Ex in other words) who start the second civil war over their "OBAMA GONE TAKE OUR COMPLETELY LEGITIMATELY NEEDED HUNTING/ASSAULT WEAPONS" paranoia, not the pro-choice/pro-life debate. I think this automatically makes my idea automatically less stupid because the people I just described are literally trying to stockpile more guns than the US military, making a civil war emphatically more likely. The twist obviously is that the game's default assumption is that you play as these hopelessly outgunned, sadly misinformed right-wing fucknuts, although I always planned to have an option to let PCs play as actual GI-Joes too, i.e. special forces doing raids across the border into...Washington State.

The working title of the project was "Gun" "Gun." or "Gun!" or "GUN", something to that effect, but I think there's a really bad Original XBox game with basically that name?
There's actually a book that I'd like to make into an RPG setting. It's called Victoria: A Novel of Fourth Generation War. It's published by Castelia House, and was written mostly in the 90s by a monarchist, light rail enthusiast Pentagon reformer. It's absurdly sexist, absurdly racist, absurdly homophobic and absurdly Islamophobic. And it pushes 90s pentagon reformer ideas about warfare to an absurd extremes,

But the interesting part of the setting is how the USA breaks up into straw liberal enemies.
California is conquered by feminists and turned into an ultramisandrist matriarchy where all reproduction is done through genetic engineering and having male children is a crime punishable by death.

Washington State is conquered by Enviromentalists, who force everyone out of their homes and into caves without power or running water, pass a series of laws that elevate animals above humans, and then go mad with power and declare themselves gods.

Wisconsin is Nazi territory.

Boston is a Nation of Islam theocracy, supported by the Islamic World Council, which is made up of all Islamic nations.

The ultraracist Old South, headquartered in Richmond Virgina, is fighting a nuclear civil war against the liberal and progressive New South, headquartered in Atlanta.

Victoria, the protagonist nation, is a client of Tsarist Russia (yes, Russia has a Tsar again) and is ruled by a governor who is completely loyal to the Prince of Prussia (no the Kaiser has not be restored to power in Germany, yet). They're dependant on China for power (China owns their biggest power plant). Most of their GDP comes from East Asian tourists. Also, they practice an absurd idology called Retroculture, in which they refuse to use any technology newer than the 1920s. And they burn heretics at the stake. This includes Episcopalians. All of these things are presented as being ideal.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Is Islam featured in this RPG setting
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

OgreBattle wrote:Is Islam featured in this RPG setting
Nope. But there are other religions in this one. :wink:
]
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

69 Minutes into the Future

The book clocks in at 320 pages divided into three main chapters, I will not be doing a chapter per post and will just stop at a reasonable stopping point. Fields’s the lone credit for the writing of this setting, but not as editor. Most of the art is from stock photo’s and various art packs, the only drawn art is by Fields himself and still bad.

You know what it really awesome, when a book has no table of contents. Oh this book has an index, but for some reason there isn’t a table of contents. This pdf also doesn’t contain any bookmarks either, so navigating through this book is a pain in the ass. The layout of the text has problems too, text runs right to the edge of a box and sometimes over it, the tables a squashed and makes the text a bit hard to read. Now there is a printer-friendly version of the pdf, which I also own and the formatting is just as janky as the original.

This supplement uses the d20 Modern system so...yeah. Let’s get this train a chuggin’.

Chapter 1: Sexually Transmitted Future

So before this chapter starts we are greeted with some quotes that work as world building, the first is from a “future” wikipedia page about the beginning of the Second American Civil War, the next is a from an actual book “The Truth about Women” that is put under as being part of another in world book called “A Solider’s Book of Shadows”, and the last is a quote from Neal Horsley which is part of the in world book “The Manual of Pro-Life Tactical Doctrine”. If any of the names or book titles make you raise an eyebrow, you know that uneasy feeling that something heavy-handed this way comes, well just trust that feeling for now.

So the Second American Civil War officially known as the The American Abortion War started January 22, 2061 ended 30 years later which divided the nation into two main camps: the Lifers and Choicers. The Choicers won the war, barely. Now the year is 2107 the Choicers are the dominant social force and the Lifers are the oppressed class. Now if this was anyone else besides Fields I would think that they were trying to set up some Martyr complex with the Lifers, but then I remembered Black Tokyo and know that everyone will lose in this scenario. So the Choicers are rebuilding society their way and the Lifers are still struggling. The war isn’t really over just gone cold. Each side killing important figures of their opponents.

Then there is short section about adding integrating other products into the setting, don’t care.
The first chapter will be about civilian life in this new nation. The other two chapters will go into the life each camp.

Now the chapter starts with a three page story about a Choicer woman, during the Abortion War, in a birthing pool giving birth with aid of a priestess-midwife in front of her Covenant mates. The story goes it a lot of unnecessary detail about the birth that it hits levels of Harlequin Romance. Here is an excerpt:
Tendrils of liquid plastic exactly the same
shade of crimson as her blood crawl across the
straining, sweating woman’s belly. These tendrils
caress the pregnant woman’s brown skin with a soft,
pneumatic hiss, and as the tendrils move and writhe,
and push painlessly into the woman’s abdomen,
gently shoving aside muscle and fat deposits to view
the precious cargo within that distended belly, their
colors and patterns change.
The tendrils pulse with
yellow and red and orange and ochre light; their
colors match the flickering illumination of the candlelight
perfectly. And as these tendrils continue their
diagnosis and inventory of the brown woman’s
body, other tendrils slide beneath the bloody water
of the birthing pool, to hold the birth canal open.
He goes into detail about parts I guess we the audience are suppose to get squeamish about but since I watch way too much educational television, it just makes it look like he trying too hard too shock with detail overload.

After this story we are given a quote from I am going to assume an in world character name Alex Ross because I could not find the actual quote from a real person with that name.
“I tried to apply that kind of thinking to
all the characters… how they would breed, and
what would result.”
It does sorta sounds like something he would say.

We are given more information about the world, the genome is completely mapped and by the mid 2010s most of the fatal genetic diseases were eliminated in utero. Disease immunity was encoded into peoples very genome and tailor made viruses, based upon sexually transmitted diseases so that immunized people could pass it along to their sex partners. This was done since it was the cheapest and quickest way. Fucking title drop.

This leads to our first bit of crunch, technically, the new player species Homo Sapiens Panacean, same as regular humans (which are now rare), but with disease resistance which makes them immune to all non-magical terrestrial sexually transmitted diseases and +4 on Fort saves for getting other diseases. Also if they fuck unprotected any human or humanoids with similar genetics that person get the trait as well and can pass along as well. Oh and also
Modern Panacean humans look identical to
their non-modified human cousins. However, the first
versions of the genemod had several minor flaws,
which were quickly corrected during later immunizations.
Some older Panaceans bear minor physical
mutations associated with the genemod; in most
cases, these deformities are limited to blue-green
striations, resembling tiger stripes, which cover the
mutant’s face and chest.

Only a handful of modern
Panaceans retain this unique visual trait.
During the 2010s and 2020s, “Panacean
Stripes” were an especially desirable trait- they
marked a potential lover as an absolutely safe
partner, and heralded a new post-AIDS era of
sexual freedom. Even those who didn’t manifest the
stripes naturally used make-up, tattooing and
cosmetic genemods to imitate the appearance of
those who did. Today, the fad for striped lovers is a
thing of the past, as society has grown to accept
(and take for granted) this omnipresent gene-mod.
Why even put this in the game, Chris? You are not getting paid by the word. It’s not good fluff just pointless.

Then we get a new starting Occupation, Genetic Licensor, unmodified humans that sell their genome to genetic engineers as a control group. Generally found in the Lifer nations. So what do you get:
  • Choose a permanent class skill among a small list with the only good one being Diplomacy.
    If was already a class skill you get a +1 competence bonus to it.
    +2 wealth bonus
That’s it. The only prerequisites are being unmodified human to get in the occupation, but you can get mods later.

Well we made it to page 10 of 320… shit. Don’t worry the next part will have more crunch to go through and the holes can be seen, logically and mechanically.[/b]
Last edited by Leress on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
]
hogarth
Prince

Post by hogarth »

Leress wrote:
Now the chapter starts with a three page story about a Choicer woman, during the Abortion War, in a birthing pool giving birth with aid of a priestess-midwife in front of her Covenant mates. The story goes it a lot of unnecessary detail about the birth that it hits levels of Harlequin Romance. Here is an excerpt:
Tendrils of liquid plastic exactly the same
shade of crimson as her blood crawl across the
straining, sweating woman’s belly. These tendrils
caress the pregnant woman’s brown skin with a soft,
pneumatic hiss, and as the tendrils move and writhe,
and push painlessly into the woman’s abdomen,
gently shoving aside muscle and fat deposits to view
the precious cargo within that distended belly, their
colors and patterns change.
The tendrils pulse with
yellow and red and orange and ochre light; their
colors match the flickering illumination of the candlelight
perfectly. And as these tendrils continue their
diagnosis and inventory of the brown woman’s
body, other tendrils slide beneath the bloody water
of the birthing pool, to hold the birth canal open.
Needs more use of the word "tendrils".
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

hogarth wrote: Needs more use of the word "tendrils".
]
Rawbeard
Knight-Baron

Post by Rawbeard »

Couldn't read the entire thing before one important question popped into my mind... how do Choicers oppress Lifers? "You have to chose if you want to keep the baby!" "no, when you make me chose I might make the choice to abort it, but I want to keep it, so force me to keep it!" "no, the choice... IS YOURS!" I really suck at bigotry in real life, so this baffles me. But then again I was really surprised a man could not marry another man, so there is that...
Last edited by Rawbeard on Sun Oct 16, 2016 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spongeknight
Master

Post by spongeknight »

Rawbeard wrote:Couldn't read the entire thing before one important question popped into my mind... how do Choicers oppress Lifers? "You have to chose if you want to keep the baby!" "no, when you make me chose I might make the choice to abort it, but I want to keep it, so force me to keep it!" "no, the choice... IS YOURS!" I really suck at bigotry in real life, so this baffles me. But then again I was really surprised a man could not marry another man, so there is that...
I don't know how you've gone your entire life without once being exposed to an actual pro-life argument, but it's really fucking simple. Lifers don't believe there is a meaningful difference between a "real" baby outside the womb and a developing baby inside the womb, so killing a baby that has not been born yet is just murder. Which is morally wrong. So from a Lifer perspective, Choicers are demanding the right to murder babies and Lifers, who are opposing that on moral principle, are forced to accept the murders with no recourse for justice. Plus, a war was just concluded, which almost invariably means the losers were forced to accept some harsh reparations as punishment.
A Man In Black wrote:I do not want people to feel like they can never get rid of their Guisarme or else they can't cast Evard's Swarm Of Black Tentacleguisarmes.
Voss wrote:Which is pretty classic WW bullshit, really. Suck people in and then announce that everyone was a dogfucker all along.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

spongeknight wrote:
Rawbeard wrote:Couldn't read the entire thing before one important question popped into my mind... how do Choicers oppress Lifers? "You have to chose if you want to keep the baby!" "no, when you make me chose I might make the choice to abort it, but I want to keep it, so force me to keep it!" "no, the choice... IS YOURS!" I really suck at bigotry in real life, so this baffles me. But then again I was really surprised a man could not marry another man, so there is that...
I don't know how you've gone your entire life without once being exposed to an actual pro-life argument, but it's really fucking simple. Lifers don't believe there is a meaningful difference between a "real" baby outside the womb and a developing baby inside the womb, so killing a baby that has not been born yet is just murder. Which is morally wrong. So from a Lifer perspective, Choicers are demanding the right to murder babies and Lifers, who are opposing that on moral principle, are forced to accept the murders with no recourse for justice. Plus, a war was just concluded, which almost invariably means the losers were forced to accept some harsh reparations as punishment.
Yes, but that still makes no sense.

If I murder a member of your family, then I've committed a crime against you and in certain societies you would have the right to declare a vendetta against me.

But if I murder a member of my family, then that has absolutely nothing to do with you. You are not harmed or oppressed in any way. It's a private family matter. It might also be a public police matter, depending on the society.

Things might get dicey in situations where my family member is also your family member, but in this case that's pretty much limited to pro-life men who knock up pro-choice women who get abortions. Which happens, but not often enough to be a major concern.

Being told that you have to keep your nose in your own business isn't being oppressed. And complaining about it is just being a whiny bitch.

Harsh reparations are a different issue, yes. Though, I really don't see how that is enforceable. Being pro-life isn't exactly a country, or a solid organization that you can get reparations from. You can demand reparations from Germany because Germany has a treasury. But Pro-Life isn't a single unified group with a shared treasury. So you can't reasonably demand reparations from it.

And, most importantly, you can always just stop being pro-life, if it's too hard. It's not an ethnic identity, a race, or even a religion. It's just political belief.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momothefiddler
Knight-Baron

Post by momothefiddler »

hyzmarca wrote:But if I murder a member of my family, then that has absolutely nothing to do with you. You are not harmed or oppressed in any way. It's a private family matter. It might also be a public police matter, depending on the society.
No, no, it's a moral matter. You are doing Wrong Things and it's the responsibility of every upstanding individual to stop you. That's also why
Rawbeard wrote:a man could not marry another man
Obviously this is a bullshit stance, but that's the part that makes it work internally. It's your job to fix the world, so any Bad Thing anyone does is a personal affront to you. It being a moral matter also makes it (seem) impossible (from the inside) to just stop if it's hard, too.

(Granted, this is one of two approaches that leads it to being a societal matter in some societies - the other is "if people are allowed to murder each other, they're allowed to murder me, and I don't want that, so let's say nobody's allowed to murder other people, or at least other citizens." I think the fact that those match up in some cases and not others is what leads to the weird disconnect on what should be law and what shouldn't, with abortion and gay marriage being examples.)
sendaz
Journeyman

Post by sendaz »

Question, how often are abortions really happening now in the setting?

I mean they mention curing most of the genetic disorders/STDs/etc yet they haven't added a switch to toggle on/off the reproductive system so that a girl could actually control whether she even gets pregnant in the first place or not.

Just trying to get a feel for the level of control they have.
Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

(It should here be noted that the underlying motive for pro-life views that extend to withholding abortion is generally to oppress women and not at all to prevent murders. Consider that the main pro-forced-birth blocs are also anti-contraception, anti-sex-ed, and anti-welfare. Even the usual rape or incest exemptions to most anti-abortion laws are actually a damning window into what's actually going on - if you consistently hold that fetuses are people, then sure it's OK to kill a fetus to save its mother's life* because someone was going to die anyway, but I can't see a consistent approach that lets you compound a rape by adding murder to the mix if you consider terminating a pregnancy to be murder.

Which just makes the plotline of 'the forced-birthers are the oppressed underclass' that much dumber unless they really hammer home that the ideologies basically became their own nations with their own lands like this was Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri.

*A minority of forced-birthers do not actually think it is OK to kill a fetus to save its mother's life even if the fetus was going to die anyway, just ask Poland. Or any Catholic hospital in the US for that matter.)
Last edited by Omegonthesane on Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Okay for "clarity", this setting not only uses d20 Modern but the d20 Future version. The Progression Level is stated to be between 6 and 7

http://dmreference.com/MRD/Future/Progress_Levels.htm

So within the Fusion Age and Gravity Age.
sendaz wrote:Question, how often are abortions really happening now in the setting?

From what I gather from reading this book no more or less (leaning towards less) than what is going on now.
I mean they mention curing most of the genetic disorders/STDs/etc yet they haven't added a switch to toggle on/off the reproductive system so that a girl could actually control whether she even gets pregnant in the first place or not.
How should I describe this...in Chris Fields's books all roads lead to more sex. So if you have a question about the setting which ever one would lead to more sex that is the one that is more likely to be the case.
Just trying to get a feel for the level of control they have.
:rofl:
It maybe a while until you can get the whole picture since the first chapter is 149 pages which does cover the overall setting. The next chapter is about Choicers which is 72 pages long and the final chapter about Lifers is 80 or so pages.

@Everyone
I will try to answer you questions about the setting as best I can, but I may not answer if the area the question covers hasn't been brought up in the review yet.
]