Let's play-Tunnels and Trolls: Amulet of the Salkti

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Enter room
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The room must have been the workplace of an alchemist. Bottles of all shapes and sizes line the shelves. When you entered, you set off a trap causing several of the bottles to fall and crash to the floor. As the contents came in contact with the stone, a red steam rose. The stones have taken on a blob-like structure, joined together and are now attacking. The blob has a MR of 52. However, blunt weapons only do 3/4 damage and edged weapons do only 1/2 damage. The blob is nevertheless very sensitive to hellfire with will do it's normal 1 1/2 damage instead of the 1/2 or 3/4. If you die, it digests you.
5d=15 +40=55
6d=15 +26=41
blob takes 7, mr 45

5d=23 +40=63
5d=17 +23=40
blob takes 12, mr 33

5d=15 +40=55
4d=19 +17=36
blob takes 10, mr =23

5d=18 +40=58
3d=10 +12=22
blob takes 18, mr =5

5d=19 +40=59
1d=3 +3 =6
blob takes 27
Most of the bottles are empty or broken. The notable exception is a bottle which contains a very thick, blood-red liquid which has a primitive form of squirt-nozzle on top. You may take this and now leave the room by going to 175
You are in a north-south corridor. To you west there is a door. If you chose to enter the room, go to 119. If not, you may go north to 15 or south to 6.
Assuming still going south:
You are in a north-south corridor. To the south, you can see an arch.
Assuming still going south still;

You are at the end of a long corridor. In front of you, you see an arch which leads to a long ramp going through a cavern. Suddenly, you hear a voice say, 'Psst, buddy, want a clue?" With that, a secret panel on the west wall opens up revealing a small alcove. You may go north, enter the alcove, or go down the ramp.
Oh, and still wearing the skull I suppose?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Ramp; I suspect the alcove is a trap.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The ramp leads down into a huge cavern. At the bottom of the ramp, you see that the cavern is partially filled with water and functions as an underground harbour. One boat sits in the harbour, and you can board it without any problems. You may board the oat or head back up the ramp.
Assuming that the boat is boarded:

On the deck you find nothing manning the oars and sails except very small, lifeless, bloodless men. You need to use an item here. For each failure, you meet a wandering encounter on a roll of 1-4. If you think you do not possess the proper item, you may go back up the ramp to 155
Rick Troll/Eduard Khil
Str 42 int 16 luck 14 Con 40/48 dex 14 cha 15 speed 14 +34 personal adds

Spear 3d+1, spear 3d+1, dagger 2d+5
complete leather armour

1376gp 400ep

grappling snake. 4 eggs (p90). amulet. 2xde-magnet medallions. small unusual key. skull. red liquid in bottle with primitive squirt nozzle
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

None of the items look appropriate here....half a vote for back up the ramp.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Only place to go back would be the alcove avoided as possible trap.

As an aside, while I like being able to go back and forth, instead of having to keep going in one direction, going back and forth along featureless corridors sort of limits that. Also, where do wandering monsters come from? There should be no way in our out.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Squirt the red liquid on the bloodless men. Maybe its magic blood that will reanimate them and have them row the boat for us.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Squirt the red liquid on the bloodless men. Maybe its magic blood that will reanimate them and have them row the boat for us.
This, then
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Good guess.
The corpses absorb the liquid, grow in size, and come to life. You now have a crew of zombies. However, they are not doing anything. One of them absorbed a little too much blood and crashed through the deck into a small room. You can enter it or re-enter the main ruins by going up the ramp.
Assuming going into the room:

it appears to be the captain's quarters. You find nothing but a chest with a very unusual lock and a book. You may read the book, open the chest, or re-enter the main ruins.
Oddly, we are now at section 1. You start at section 107, for some reason, instead of, say, FF's usual start at the first number and end at 400 because it's the last number.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Read the book.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Most of the book is illegible, but the last entry, which was written in an old dialect of common, reads:
'I wish my page would get here with the key to the chest so i could get the Zombie Control Amulet. He keeps it because i lose things too easily. It doesn't matter. We're all going to die. At least the ship with the amulet got off safely. They were able to damage Sxelba enough with it to banish him for at least 200 years, but they did not have the time to kill him. Now, as the last bit of his destructive magic takes effect, we are dying. The outside is destroyed, and only our underground portion remains. It is truly a shame. The magnet was almost working and the magic mouth was just about functioning properly. I fear it will be taken over by some evil demon.
'What is happening? I feel like I am being snatched away. All that is left is the crew of the other ship and the amulet which is going to [smear].'

If you have the amulet, you may go above to the main deck. Otherwise, you may re-enter the ruins or try to open the chest.
Don't have the amulet, or at least not the Zombie Control Amulet, which is what the book means. They don't like specifying, or using different words like "Talisman" or something. Also, "going to [smear]"? He must have died while writing it.

Going to assume a decision to try to open the chest.

An item would be useful here. On the first failure, a small poison needle inside the lock sticks you. Unless you are immune, the poison removes 5 points from your DEX until you are cured. After that, you have unlimited tries. If you decide you lack the proper item, you may return to the main ruins, or you may read the book.
Eduard Khil

complete leather armour

1376gp 400ep

grappling snake. 4 eggs (p90). amulet. 2xde-magnet medallions. small unusual key. skull. red liquid in bottle with primitive squirt nozzle
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

unusual key for that unusual lock
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The chest opens to reveal an amulet which you now take. You may read the book or go to the deck.
Since the book was already read, going to the deck.
The zombies, once they see the amulet, immediately start rowing out of the cave. Using the amulet, you can command them to go in different directions, hence to different locations. The underground river empties into the ocean which you are now in.
You have just exited the caves of death. For surviving this far, take 2000 ep. In this part of the adventure, you are free to sail wherever you choose, picking up clues and items at various islands. For each journey, choose your destination and then consult the travel chart to see how low the journey will take in 12 hour increments. Every 12 hours, roll one die. If the result is a 1, roll on Random Encounter Chart #2 to see what the ship encountered. Because the zombies do not tire, they can row all day and all night, allowing you to rest.
Then there's some stuff about what yo do if you have rabies from being bitten by a random encounter that wasn't rolled.

Eduard Khil

complete leather armour

1376gp 2400ep

The 2000ep is more than enough to go to lvl 2.
When going up a lvl, the character increases stats.

Either add the new lvl number to STR or Con (or half to both)
OR
1/2 the new lvl number to INT, DEX or CHA
OR
twice the new lvl number to Luck

Traveling from the cave, it will take this long to go to a new location (in 12 hour increments)
Valeat 4
Freegore 1
Alscen 3
Kelsa 4
Esdurt 7
Kroam 7
And thus ends the long, featureless corridor filled pre-amble, and now to the actual amble.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Our Str and Con are both great so I think we should add it to dex.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Let's visit the closest location first (Freegore)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure, I'm cool with that.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

As your ships pulls into Freegore harbour, you feel a sharp jolt. A demon squid is attacking and destroying your ship. Some officials, citizens and wizards were able to get you onto land as your ship sank. Go to 159.
Thus ends Eduard Khil's career as captain of a zombie ship. It's still possible to get the lesser of the two good endings from here, but that skips a lot of the content. If people like, we could ignore that and travel somewhere else.

And, I know what you're thinking, you're thinking "how does Thaluikhain know what I'm thinking?" that this is a bit rubbish, but in the books defence it does mention that all of Freegore's ships were sunk by demons in the intro, and there's one or two later parts that say the city is surrounded. Still, an "are you sure?" or something would have been nice, the book can be a bit forgiving that way at other times.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Go to Alscen. While it's the next target after Freegore, it's probably safe for now and sympathetic to our cause.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Alscen, then.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

No random encounters en route.

You enter the port of Alscen without problem. You hire some guards to keep an eye on your ship for 25 g.p. (if you cannot afford the guards, you must leave). It is a normal city with two prominent features, Kalstain's palace and a shop with the sign 'Marton's magical trinkets'. You may enter the palace or go to the shop.
Would have thought normal cities have more than two prominent features, but still.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Check out Ye Olde Magick Shoppe.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

The paragraph with the shop has a "&" after the number, meaning that there's a special paragraph to go to when wearing the skull. Assuming the skull is still worn:
They do no recognise you as a human (or elf, dwarf, etc.) and will not deal with you. Take the skull off before they attack. There are so many that they would automatically win.
Which is a bit pointless. Ok, can see what they were going for there, but then the people at the port and throughout the city are ok with skeletons, just not shopkeepers. Could have had that when you first entered.
96&
The shop is a small one with a large red and blue sign posted with the items and the prices (as well as the paragraph you go to when you buy the item). the items that are for sale are:
Magical fishing nets 250gp each
Magical clay 25gp each
10 magic arrows 200gp
Meat preserver 100gp each
Lickum and stickum dagger 275gp
Magic door knocker 100gp
Fire extinguishers 100gp each

If you don't want to buy anything, you may go to Kalstain's palace or back to your ship.
Noticeably, you don't get to see what something does before buying it (and the in-universe sign tells you what paragraph to go to?). Not everything has "each" after if, either by omission or to indicate you can only buy one, not sure. Also, this city has a noticeable lack of normal stores, you can't buy, say, better armour or an arrow to fire the magic arrows with here.

Eduard Khil

complete leather armour

1376gp 2400ep

Edit, it's "magic clay", not "magic clap".
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Sat Nov 05, 2016 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Grabbing one of everything still leaves us with 226 gold. And a lot of these are specific enough that I'm not sure which are trap options. So buy all the things.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Since we have cash to spare, buy everything.