Preliminary Feat/Level List

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

That's why it would be helpful if you offered 'exemplar' feats that you are pretty sure match what you're looking for.

It's also important to consider relative benefit. If you get 20 feats but only 10 feats are relevant to a particular build, to any player of that build, you really only have 10 feats. Aiming for '20 required feats' for a build is bad, so feats that open up horizontal power is probably good. Essentially, you need feats that 'everyone wants' so at every level you always get something you want.

Personally, I think the concept of 'tiers' is useful. Having some feats with a prerequisite of 'level 9' and others of 'level 10' is bizarre. What makes those two levels so disparate that landlord is appropriate at one, but skill mastery is not?

Since everyone has access to feats equally under this paradigm, as long as the power-level of your feats are internally consistent, it doesn't really matter where you set the balance point. If you make them 'better than spells' they will be the single-most defining concept of your character. If you make them 'worse than skills', you can just drop them completely, because seriously, who cares at that point?

Caster supremacy versus martials is well-established. If you want to make 'martial' and 'general' feats better than 'magical' feats, that's a design decision you could justify - but to offer constructive criticism you have to share what that design decision is. 'Here is a list of feats, are they good or bad assuming you get one per level?' is a question that can't be answered without more information - clarifying your design intent is important.
-This space intentionally left blank
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

deaddmwalking wrote:That's why it would be helpful if you offered 'exemplar' feats that you are pretty sure match what you're looking for.
I presumed you understood context, but the entire feat per level example list thing. I can't find Frank's original list right now, but is that 'exemplar' enough?
Last edited by virgil on Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Lokey
Journeyman

Post by Lokey »

From before, an example of a maneuver is Robilar's Gambit (which is on your list, things that talk about stances usually are). Like feats they vary wildly in usefulness but it's better than being a fighter or monk. Book is generally noteworthy for Crusader and Swordsage, which are better paladins and monks but they aren't in the primary caster league for power and utility.

More ideas: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicFeats.htm but since they vary wildly in effectiveness...

Too powerful doesn't have too many easy tests, since it's usually only class + something else combination + this gets crazy and there's a lot of them to know. One test off the top of my head are feats that allow you to use a different mechanism that is flat better in all situations: skill check for save or something along those lines probably falls into that line, skill checks are cheap and easy to boost while the other things usually aren't.

Too weak is I'd never use that feat. Even a character that does that very specific thing would never take that feat, like the one for handling poisons that says you don't need to make a save when you mishandle them when things like perfect health are available.
Last edited by Lokey on Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

As I wrote in another thread, and I'll state again here, Epic feats should be relegated to the level 11 to 20 range.
The Adventurer's Almanac wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Nobody gives a flying fuck about Tordek and Regdar.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Lokey wrote:More ideas: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/epicFeats.htm but since they vary wildly in effectiveness...
I already taken a few feats from that list, though I ended up ignoring huge swaths due to them just being RNG-destroying bonuses. I've considered converting a couple more (tracker, exceptional deflection), but I'm delaying that until I get this current 90+ list managed better.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

Virgil. Do you mind if I use some of these feats for PMDD20?
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Sure, go ahead and use them.
Last edited by virgil on Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!