Tenser, Murlynd, et al.
9%
Other (please specify)
14%

Total votes: 44

Voss
Prince

Post by Voss »

And just think, you missed out on the Greyhawk Adventures book (for the 1e to 2e transition), which included such gems as Bigby's Feeling Fingers, Bigby's Dextrous Digits and Bigby's Strangling Grip
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

And then there's the joke spells that aren't even hand based, but still get attributed to Bigby, like Bigby's Crushing Tactical Nuke
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
GâtFromKI
Knight-Baron

Post by GâtFromKI »

souran wrote:This is complete horseshit. Knowing things about a person is EXACTLY what fucking fame and renown is. Your statement about Jesus is completely fucking ass backwards. People believe they know LOTS OF SHIT about Jesus. That is indeed, the ONLY reason he is famous. Weather those things are true or about a fictional character is the ancillary part. They know is motivation, his plan, his life story, the day of his birth and the day of his death.
No, no, no, no and no.

If people knew about his plan or his motivation or whatever, they wouldn't be arguing about his plan or motivations or whatever, there wouldn't be several hundred different flavor of christianism. Some people are killing in his name while some other think he's all about peace, both can't be right about his plan at the same time.

Jesus is famous because when you say his name to two different person, they immediately think "the dead guy on a cross", and they both indeed think about the same dead guy on a cross - they aren't thinking about some obscure president who happens to have the same name; and the dual statement, when you say "dead guy on a cross" to two people, they think "Jesus", and they are both thinking about the same guy.

The fact they don't know any detail about his life is irrelevant ; hell, knowing if he actually died on a cross is irrelevant. Nobody knows when he was born (and when he died), the given dates (if he was born at all) are between -4 before himself and 6 after himself, and that is still irrelevant.

Newton is more famous than me because when you say his name to two different people, they immediately think "the guy from the gravitation theory", and they are indeed thinking about the same guy - they aren't thinking about some obscure president who happens to have the same name. Conversely, when you say my name to two different people, the most common answer is "who?", and the second most common answer is about someone who happen to have the same name as me.

Again, the fact anyone knows if Newton actually created differential calculus or if an apple actually inspired his theory or what he did last summer is largely irrelevant.

And that's the same with Bigby: he's famous because when you say his name to a D&D player or a Neverwinter's player or some BG players, they immediately think "the guy from the hand spell", and they are indeed thinking about the same guy - they aren't thinking about some obscure president who happens to have the same name. And the dual statement, when you say "D&D wizard", many people immediately think "Bigby", and they are indeed thinking about the same Bigby.

The fact they don't know anything about Bigby is largely irrelevant as well.

Chamomile wrote:
GâtFromKI wrote:Yeah yeah, I know. Knowing if Newton actually created differential calculus isn't a significant detail of his life.
So what you've demonstrated is that if you come up with a sufficiently stupid definition of "significant detail," measuring fame by knowledge of significant details no longer works.
Wait; what ?

So you're saying the invention of differential calculus isn't *significant* in the life of Newton. Are you on drug ? Are you stupid ? Are you arguing about stuff you don't know at all ? Are you a monkey with a typewritter ? That's a real question: I can't understand how you can write something that stupid, and still have the ability to write.
Last edited by GâtFromKI on Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

GâtFromKI wrote:So you're saying the invention of differential calculus isn't *significant* in the life of Newton.
This is, again, a counterpoint whose rebuttal is contained in the post it is responding to. Try again.