The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
[LP] DestinyQuest: The Legion of Shadow
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:52 pm    Post subject: [LP] DestinyQuest: The Legion of Shadow Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List



This book was recommended to me as a gamebook that was published in 2012, and might have innovated the form. I don't think it really did. It's been a decidedly mixed bag, and I even posted a short rant about it in the 'Totally Lost You' thread. However, while The Legion of Shadow is gravely flawed, that doesn't exactly set it apart from (most of) the other books we've LP'd. Also, I think it's pretty interesting, because it definitely does have it's good points as well. I'll be commenting on good and bad as we go along, and I hope you will too.

The System
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

The Intro
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

The Map
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Where to?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegonthesane
Duke


Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 1856

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The House, because this isn't a videogame so it's not worth skipping to catharsis by going straight to questing without any info.
_________________
FrankTrollman wrote:
And if there are any weeds that grow better in barren soil than laziness and ignorance, I don't know what they are (and don't care enough to find out).
Kaelik wrote:
Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.
FrankTrollman wrote:
As far as death and human misery goes, Tobacco is basically World War II grinding on forever with no real sign of stopping in our life times. Death camps and nuclear bombs and stuff are certainly dramatic, but public health crises are always and forever bigger than wars on the global scale.


Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The track you are following widens, becoming a dusty road that leads into the village of Tithebury Cross. It is a small settlement – its timber framed buildings and cottages crowded in around a central main square where four roads come together.

The lanes and paths are mostly deserted. You imagine that most sensible people are staying indoors, taking refuge from the sun's merciless heat. A couple of farmers pass you by, grumbling about the weather. Neither of them offers you a word of greeting.

Reaching the main square, you consider your options. Ahead of you is the local tavern, its painted sign showing a plump black bird pecking at a pie. To your left are the remnants of a small market, set up under a series of grey awnings. With few customers to view their wares, the traders look bored and listless. To your right, a narrow path leads past a row of houses and then rises steeply, climbing the side of a sun-scorched hill. At its summit you can see a stone well, with several villagers gathered around it, deep in conversation.

• Visit 'The Pie and Black Bird'?
• Explore the market?
• Visit the well? (This starts a blue quest.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6069
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2016 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Go to the tavern.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The taproom of the 'Pie and Black Bird' is dark and muggy, the only light coming from a narrow window opposite the bar. The tables and benches are mostly empty - just a few customers sit sullenly over their mugs of ale, making little effort at conversation. At the bar, a group of elderly farmers are seated on stools, talking in hushed tones as they puff on their pipes. The barman listens in on their talk, fanning himself with a grime-stained dishcloth.

As you approach the bar, you notice a man sitting alone at the far side of the room. He appears to be watching you from beneath the brim of his hat, his long pale fingers shuffling and reshuffling a deck of cards.

• Speak to the Barman?
• Talk to the farmers?
• Walk over to the card player?
• Leave the building?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6069
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Start with the barman.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2197

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Go buy some booze from the bar.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2016 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The barman grunts as you approach, pushing himself lazily up off the counter.

'What can I do you for?' he asks, scratching his rotund belly. 'Need something to cool yer down? Ain't got nothing cold, I'm afraid. Warm beer's all yer getting here.'

• Ask if he has heard any rumors?
• Ask about Avian Dale?
• Talk about the weather?
• Turn back to the taproom?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6069
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ask about rumors.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
'Rumors, eh?' The Barman spits into his cloth, then proceeds to rub the counter with it. 'Well, latest news I 'eard is that a giant is causing problems along the eastern pass. Cut off the only trade route to Kimsbrook. Yer can imagine some of the locals ain't happy with that.' He nods towards the elderly farmers seated at the bar. 'Unless the locals can get their produce to market, not much to be made.' He shakes his head. 'Tough times, I think yer'll agree.'

• Ask about Avian Dale?
• Talk about the weather?
• Turn back to the taproom?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6069
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ask about Avian Dale, then about the weather if we're allowed.

Then talk to the farmers, about the giant if possible.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The barman gives another grunt. 'Not heard that name for a while now. Strange fella, lives in that castle, across the gorge. Been there for as long as I can remember, but he seldom comes 'ere.' He leans towards you, beckoning you to do the same. 'I'd stay away from the likes of him. Something ain't right when a man lives as long as I have, but doesn't look a day older.' The man taps his grey balding pate. 'Look at me, fifty years to me name. But that Avian– still looks younger than my son. I smell magic there, and no good ever comes of magic.'

• Ask for directions to Avian's castle?
• Ask if he has heard any rumors?
• Talk about the weather?
• Turn back to the taproom?

Hm, looks like the conversation tree is slightly deeper than anticipated. Well, I don't think this book's going to drop any dire consequences for talking in the opening town, so I'm going down that branch before finishing off the rest.
Quote:
The barman raises an eyebrow. 'Yer want to pay Avian a visit, do yer?' He grins, revealing two rows of rotted yellow teeth. 'God luck with that. the man keeps himself to himself - lives right across the gorge, south of 'ere. Only way across is a bridge, and I hears that a troll moved in now, made it his own. Unless you pay the toll, it's lights out for yer...' The barman slams his fist on the counter, making you jump. His face cracks into another grin. 'Truth is, I think Avian likes the troll - otherwise he would have done something about it. Keeps strangers away... and I hear Avian don't like strangers.'

• Ask if he has heard any rumors?
• Talk about the weather? √
• Turn back to the taproom?

Quote:
The barman whistles through his stumpy yellowed teeth. 'I says it's magic - some kind of curse. I ain't seen rain around 'ere for months.' He dabs at his brow with a dirty cloth. 'We're all tired of the heat. If I wanted this weather I'd pack me bags and travel south. This ain't normal, I tell yer that.' The barman casts a nervous glance over his shoulder, then leans in over the counter. 'They say it's that witch,' he says, dropping his voice to a whisper. 'The old crone that lives out in the woods. Since she moved to Tithebury two summers ago, things have been going wrong. Calves born with three legs, children with the pox... I reckon this weather is all her doing. If I were you, I'd pass straight through Tithebury and be on your way. Safer.' He gives you a wink, then settles back behind the counter.

• Ask about Avian Dale?
• Ask if he has heard any rumors?
• Turn back to the taproom? √

The taproom sends us back to the first tavern entry, where our options were farmers or card player, and since this just seems to be a consequenceless infodump area, I'll do like Darth pre-pathed and talk to the farmers.
Quote:
The farmers fall silent as you approach, looking you u and down suspiciously. You quickly explain that you are a traveler, and wonder if here is any work for a hired sword. The farmers glance at each other, then begin chuckling behind their pipes. One of them beckons you closer, blowing smoke out of the corner of his mouth.

'I tell yer wha' yer can do,' he says in a thick accent. 'Go kill the witch. She's the one tha' be bringing the curse to this land.' The other farmers nod, mumbling in agreement. Before you can ask any further questions, they turn their backs on you and resume their conversation.

Well, they're much less talkative than the barman. I'm just going to aggregate our options at this point.

• Walk over to the card player?
• Leave the bar and explore the market?
• Leave the bar and visit the well? (This starts a blue quest.)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2197

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Card players. See if we can make some cash.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
As you walk over, the man doffs his hat to you in greeting. You settle onto the bench opposite. 'Greetings, my friend,' he says. 'You care to make a little wager?'

• Agree to play cards?
• Ask about local rumors?

I'll get the rumors first.
Quote:
The man stops shuffling the cards and places them down on the table. 'Hmm, looking to make your fortune, eh?' He rests his chin on his hands, offering you a crooked smile. 'Well, if it's treasure you seek, that graveyard would be a good place to start. Haunted good and proper it is - the locals won't go near the place, even the priest. They say it's cursed. Something to do with an old legend about a book, buried beneath the church.' He chuckles to himself. 'Could all be nonsense stories. I mean, the heat is make the locals a little, you know,' he taps his forehead, 'crazy.' He picks up the cards again. 'But still, there has to be a reason why that place is always locked up tight. Protecting themselves, maybe... but when I sees a lock it usually means there's something important on the other side.' He gives you a mischievous wink. 'Now, enough ghost stories. Fancy a game of cards?'

Quote:
The man nods and starts dealing out two hands of cards. He asks you how much you wish to gamble. (Choose how many gold crowns you would like to bet. These are placed in the middle of the table. The man then matches your bet with the same number of gold crowns.) Once the cards are dealt, the gambler explains the rules of his game. You pick up your cards and begin playing.

Roll a die:
• If the result is 1...
• If the result is 2...
• If the result is 3...
• If the result is 4...
• If the result is 5...
• If the result is 6...

So, how much do you want to bet?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6069
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bet 3.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Bettin' three. The roll is a 1.
Quote:
You have an excellent hand and beat the gambler. You may take back double the amount of gold that you have bet.

• Bet again?
• Leave the table?

Leaving the table means leaving the bar, since it's fully explored, in which case it's market or blue quest well.

... or any of the map quests, because the village doesn't actually have an exit reference. I'd forgotten that, and it's a real flaw in the book, that the introductory village is an inescapable trap. Especially since it could be solved with one sentence.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6069
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We just won 6 gold, so check out the market.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You pass under the cloth awnings to explore the village market. Three stalls immediately catch your eye. The first is crammed full of herbs, jars, and bottles. Behind it, an elderly man is weighing ingredients on a small set of brass scales. On the stall next to him, an elegantly-dressed woman is sewing cloth. Displayed all around her are a number of embroidered garments, all neatly folded in colorful piles. At the end of the row, a rickety table has been set up, covered in a bizarre assortment of odds and ends - from wooden toys to battered pieces of rusty armor. The stall-owner is currently rummaging in a box underneath the table.

• Visit the apothecary?
• Visit the clothier?
• Visit the tinker?
• Leave the market?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6069
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Check out the tinker, I'm guessing they'll have the coolest stuff.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
'Wait up, wait up!' There is a thump as the man knocks his head on the underside of the table. 'Ugh, third time in as many minutes.' Rubbing his forehead, the man stands and holds out his hand. You shake it warmly, asking him what he has for sale.

'I'm a tinker,' says the man, stepping back and taking a bow. 'I find things and I repair them. Let's see... you look like the adventuring sort. Guess I might have some armor you might like. Not the good stuff, like what those mighty inquisitors wear. 'Although,' he makes a point of eyeing up your current equipment, 'beggars can't be choosers, can they?' He spreads out a choice of objects on the table. You may purchase any of the following, for 12 gold crowns each.

Notched Blade (main hand: sword) +1 speed, +1 brawn
Simple Coif (head) +1 brawn +1 armor
Buckled Boots (feet) +1 speed, +1 brawn

'If yer got any bits and pieces on you, I may be able to knock something together for you,' says the tinker.

• Show him your damaged shield and crocodile skin?
• Thank the tinker and leave?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)


Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2197

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

We can only afford 1 item, and I'm not sure I want to spend almost everything yet, considering there are more shops.

Can we access the tinker again later?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SGamerz wrote:
Can we access the tinker again later?

Yes. Given how it's set up, something very strange would have to happen to keep us from revisiting. Access presumably cuts off after we defeat Act 1's boss monster and progress to the next map, though.
_________________
"Now that we've determined that up to π angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine the specific number (or fraction) of angels dancing?"
"What if angels from another pin engage them in melee combat?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Omegonthesane
Duke


Joined: 26 Sep 2009
Posts: 1856

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

How about we just see the clothier and apothecary menus?

...lemme guess, one of them causes an irreversible choice.
_________________
FrankTrollman wrote:
And if there are any weeds that grow better in barren soil than laziness and ignorance, I don't know what they are (and don't care enough to find out).
Kaelik wrote:
Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.
FrankTrollman wrote:
As far as death and human misery goes, Tobacco is basically World War II grinding on forever with no real sign of stopping in our life times. Death camps and nuclear bombs and stuff are certainly dramatic, but public health crises are always and forever bigger than wars on the global scale.


Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath. He is a terrible person and a hack at writing and art. His cultural contributions are less than Justin Bieber's, and he's a shitmuffin. Go go gadget Googlebomb!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7345

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apothecary
Quote:
The elderly man looks up from his work, his expression one of surprise. 'A customer at last,' he says, pushing is glasses up his nose. 'Can I interest you in any of my wares?'

You may purchase any quantity of the following for 5 gold crowns each:

Pot of Healing (backpack) 1 use, use at any time in combat to restore 4 health.
Pot of Speed (backpack) 1 use, use at any time in combat to raise your Speed by 2 for one round.
Pot of Magic (backpack) 1 use, use at any time in combat to raise your Magic by 2 for one round.

• Visit another stall?
• Leave the market?


Clothier
Quote:
The woman puts aside her sewing, looking you up and down with interest. 'A traveler,' she says, nodding her head. 'So, I might sell something in this backwater village after all. Please, take a look at my fine silks. I use only the finest cloth and thread - from the deserts of the south, no less.'

You may purchase any of the following items for 12 gold crowns each:

Silk Robe (chest) +1 magic
Embroidered Gloves (gloves) +1 speed, +1 magic
Patchwork Cloak (cloak) +1 speed

'My skills are the finest around,' says the woman. 'If there's nothing here that interests you, perhaps I can tailor you something a little more... unique.'

• Ask about the unique items?
• Explore one of the other stalls?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2197

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Ask about the unique stuff...again on the assumption that we can come back for them later if we can't afford them now.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 1 of 28

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group