Relevant to Our Interests

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Neurosis
Duke

Relevant to Our Interests

Post by Neurosis »

For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

So basically they managed to read two entire combat feats from Races of War, and then they filled in the rest with dumb bullshit that still isn't very good.

Also they wrote some spellcasting interference thing that is either broken as fuck or totally useless.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Red_Rob
Prince

Post by Red_Rob »

Kaelik wrote:So basically they managed to read two entire combat feats from Races of War
Well, given that Quasar Knight Enterprises is actually Libertad who used to post semi-regularly here a few years ago, I'd say he's probably read more than two combat feats.

So is this basically Races of War regurgitated into a format that Paizans might accept?

edit: Relevant post http://www.tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?p=250214#250214
Last edited by Red_Rob on Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Simplified Tome Armor.

Tome item system and expanded Wish Economy rules.

Try our fantasy card game Clash of Nations! Available via Print on Demand.

“Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” - Voltaire
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

It pretty clearly shows the problem. The gulf between what a Fighter gets in Pathfinder rules and what a Fighter would need to be a co-equal party member with a full caster in a high level campaign is so vast that you can do things that are "nice" for Fighters that are lambasted as unconscionable power creep by Paizils that still aren't remotely sufficient to get the Fighter out of "second rate cohort" status after 8th level or so.

The game needed a 4th edition that wasn't a pile of rancid shit.

-Username17
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Well, given that Quasar Knight Enterprises is actually Libertad who used to post semi-regularly here a few years ago, I'd say he's probably read more than two combat feats.
THAT is interesting and I had no idea. I figured that the product name was more of a cunning jab at Den philosophy coming from the outside, more than a respectful nod coming from a former insider that has gone Paizil.

I remember Libertad, he was a pretty cool guy.

I also remember my own pretty heavily discussed "fighter with nice things" thread. I think my main point back then was to prove that tussock was retarded and could go climb cock mountain with his ideas, but the critique I got on the class from every non-tussock person was actually very constructive and helpful.

FWIW, my favorite fighter analogue that's actually in 3.X (with the exception of all the niftiness/craziness in Bo9S: those classes are way closer to being actually balanced with, say, a sorcerer, but they're also very complicated to play so they aren't what someone who wants to play a DMF is looking for) is Swashbuckler.

It doesn't actually fix the "fighters can't have nice things problem", but it does do some of the things I wanted my Kratos-esque fighter to do, especially if every time the player asks "can I do stupid acrobatic stunt X", the DM answers correctly with "yes, and take a +arbitrary bonus to your attack for thinking of it". I also like that swashbucklers get some FUCKING SKILL POINTS. Their damage output is shit due to being discouraged from using power attack. But the main buckler of swash in my current campaign is Laurana, and she has got enough ranks in Diplomacy that her Diplomacy bonus is effectively "you like me now and you do what I say", at least when that player's dice luck doesn't do what it do and make her roll natural 1s at least 40% of the time, and natural 2s the other 50% of the time, and every other number on the RNG only about 10% of the time. She has the worst dice curse I have ever seen.

I digress. I digress hard.
Last edited by Neurosis on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Schwarzkopf wrote:I remember Libertad, he was a pretty cool guy.
I remember Libertad. I never thought he was a cool guy, he was a fucking shitter, and then he briefly became slightly less of a shitter, and then he somehow became more of a shitter.

Libertad isn't a Den Regular who went paizial, he was on piazo, trolled Frank and K the whole time during the playtest, then showed up here when they left so he could troll more, mellowed out a little bit, then apparently decided he hates us all and left.

Also, he now spends his time stalking me on minmax and making the same post in response to everything I type which amounts to "Kaelik posts on TGD, so you should ignore him and everything he ever says because he is mean!" Or at least he did, until RobbiePants threatened to ban him the third time.
Schwarzkopf wrote:I also remember my own pretty heavily discussed "fighter with nice things" thread.
WTF! I missed a fighter fix thread? I live to shit talk Fighter Fixes!
Last edited by Kaelik on Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

So are they complaining that the low level 1-6ish fighter options are overpowered, or the 8+ things are overpowered, or both
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

WTF! I missed a fighter fix thread? I live to shit talk Fighter Fixes!
It was years ago.