Dragonlance 3.X: Unfucking The Wizard of High Sorcery PrC

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Schwarzkopf wrote:How about the language "Dealing an ally within 30 feet 3d6 damage, which bypasses all forms of damage reduction." Would that work?
Again. THERE IS ALREADY DAMAGE THAT DOES THAT! IT'S CALLED UNTYPED. Also under your weird version of thinking undefined damage types might be blocked by DR, they could just as easily be blocked by Energy Resistance, which isn't a Damage Reduction.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

So I just say "3d6 damage" and it goes through (for instance) a Barbarian's DR 2/--no problem?
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I know you address it somewhat, but the Betrayal 'ally' language is still just a rabbit hole of arguments waiting to happen, given how that distinction works in 3.5. I'd have the secret let you put some sort of minion mark on willing suckers in your downtime, which clearly delineates who you can siphon off of. The minion mark could have some minor benefit, or it could require you to make use of your class Bluff skill.

Also, I'm a little disappoint that you don't mention how they have to swear off all weapons except daggers in honor of Magius. After all, by the time they take the Test, they shouldn't need/i] that crossbow proficiency any more.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Schwarzkopf wrote:So I just say "3d6 damage" and it goes through (for instance) a Barbarian's DR 2/--no problem?
No, if you say 3d6 damage, it's undefined, and everyone who reads it hates you when they run into the problem.

If you say 3d6 untyped damage, then it goes through DR. likewise if you write vile or love or al;skdjf;lasdkjf;as damage all those go through DR.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I think it leads to unnecessary friction in game, but I'm the kind of person who plays evil characters that are team players because they understand their chances of survival are better when the barbarian is there to be another target for enemies.

I guess I should put it that I think Secret of Betrayal is great for NPCs or characters with mook followers, but for a PC it would be better to avoid mechanics which cause friction in the party.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Truthfully, you are just going to use Dominated People, or Followers, or random mercenaries, or Bound Outsiders, or Animated Dead, or just literally anything but other PCs anyway.

Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

Kaelik wrote:
Schwarzkopf wrote:So I just say "3d6 damage" and it goes through (for instance) a Barbarian's DR 2/--no problem?
No, if you say 3d6 damage, it's undefined, and everyone who reads it hates you when they run into the problem.

If you say 3d6 untyped damage, then it goes through DR. likewise if you write vile or love or al;skdjf;lasdkjf;as damage all those go through DR.
Gotcha. I think I will call it 3d6 douche damage. Editing the OP in five minutes.

The general consensus I'm hearing is that the PrC is mostly okay except for Magic of Betrayal (an idea from the actual published class, FWIW) which everyone thinks will either be exploited or shit all over party cohesion or both at the same time.
Also, I'm a little disappoint that you don't mention how they have to swear off all weapons except daggers in honor of Magius. After all, by the time they take the Test, they shouldn't need/i] that crossbow proficiency any more.
This was born of my burning desire to conflate Red Robed Wizards of High Sorcery with Red Mage.
Last edited by Neurosis on Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
For a minute, I used to be "a guy" in the TTRPG "industry". Now I'm just a nobody. For the most part, it's a relief.
Trank Frollman wrote:One of the reasons we can say insightful things about stuff is that we don't have to pretend to be nice to people. By embracing active aggression, we eliminate much of the passive aggression that so paralyzes things on other gaming forums.
hogarth wrote:As the good book saith, let he who is without boners cast the first stone.
TiaC wrote:I'm not quite sure why this is an argument. (Except that Kaelik is in it, that's a good reason.)
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Was there any point in Dragonlance where red robed mages sword people? I figured the FFI Redmage was more a D&D bard with his feather hat and all, but the black/red/white color scheme fits with Dragonlance.
Neurosis
Duke

Post by Neurosis »

No offense OB, but don't know, and don't care.

The idea of Red Robed Wizards of High Sorcery being Red Mages from 8BT just tickles me too much to not do it. Even though Raistlin himself's build is pretty much 100% the opposite of fighter/gish/bard.
He doesn't stay wearing red for long anyway.
I will point out that it's a feature not a bug of my class that can still play a Red Robe/Red Mage without ever picking up or swinging a sword, if you want. Just ignore your weapon proficiency and don't pick the Order Secret that gives you +class level to attack, damage, and AC for one round as one of your Order Secrets.
Last edited by Neurosis on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.