Tails of Equestria

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Tails of Equestria

Post by virgil »

So Hasbro is backing an official MLP tabletop RPG. It's being developed by people at River Horse. I do wonder what this says about the company's trust in Mearls+ when, at the decision to release an RPG when they have a dedicated roleplaying branch, they look to another company that's only tangentially worked with TTRPGs. That's like seeing Mattel deciding to outsource a Barbie card game.

There's not much in the way of information for mechanics yet, and it has a release date of this Winter. We do know the primary designer is Alessio Cavatore, who looks to have been the primary rules designer for Games Workshop over the last decade.
Last edited by virgil on Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Lokamayadon
NPC

Post by Lokamayadon »

I'm surprised to see a company recognizes and even commercially exploits the adult fanbase of one of their kids products.
I have nothing against bronies but is it really a smart move ? public image and all that.

PS : What kind of uniform Discord is wearing in your avatar, virgil, some kind of russian guard ? :confused:
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

There is a Ponyfinder already out, so it's a present market.

As for my avatar, that is the outfit Q wore in the first episode of TNG where he was judging humanity.
Last edited by virgil on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Lokamayadon
NPC

Post by Lokamayadon »

Okay, thanks
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

There's a joke about outsourcing a MLP game to a company named River Horse here, and I'm pretty sure the punchline is Mike Mearls.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Remember that, as far as WotC is concerned, the Magic division is Hasbro's darling, but they outsourced the MLP card game to Enterplay.

It doesn't necessarily say anything about their faith in Mearls (bad or good)
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Well, the RPG has finally been released and I got a chance to read it. It's essentially Baby's First RPG. Lots of art, splash pages, etc.

The actual rules, once you include equipment lists and such, can be condensed down to two or three pages. You have three stats; Mind, Body, Charm. Each one starts at a die size from d4 to d8. Resolution is "DM gives a target number, roll equal to or higher with the appropriate die." DCs have a chart of descriptors of how difficult something is; 2 is very easy, 3 is easy, etc. There are no modifiers. Combat is equally simplistic; opposed die rolls, winner deals its roll in damage.

Honestly, I'd rather they used FATE/FUDGE with a whiff of self-control on the fluff text to keep the pagecount low.
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Ugggggghhhhhh. I hate systems that rate skill by die size. Not that I was ever likely to play this, but still.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

OMG... I was THIS close to use THAT VERY SAME mechanic for a homebrew I'm working on.

I'm so glad I backpedaled on that idea. I mean, nothing against MLP, but I'm not sure I could endure being told "I ripped MLP."

...I guess I'm not as open a person as I fancied myself to be.
deaddmwalking
Prince

Post by deaddmwalking »

It's not like MLP used it first. The original (non-d20) Deadlands did that.
-This space intentionally left blank
erik
King

Post by erik »

deaddmwalking wrote:It's not like MLP used it first. The original (non-d20) Deadlands did that.
and earth dawn before that.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

A bunch of more recent games use it too. Danger Patrol does something similar to this, and I think Savage Worlds(?) does as well.

Doesn't mean it's the greatest arbitration mechanic however. It's really unpredictable; and people with lower capability are more likely to have maxed/exploding results. While those with higher capability are very likely to underperform.

Good for a comedy game I guess.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Wed May 03, 2017 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

Am I the only one who thinks "jesus fuck a ponies game for grown ass men?"

Then again, targeting it to young girls would grow the hobby, which in the long run is a good thing.
erik
King

Post by erik »

Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote:Am I the only one who thinks "jesus fuck a ponies game for grown ass men?"
One can only hope.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

I'm still sore that MLP got an official RPG, but Transformers didn't. It's just as popular! Maybe even more.

Fucking Hasbro.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Shrapnel wrote:I'm still sore that MLP got an official RPG, but Transformers didn't. It's just as popular! Maybe even more.

Fucking Hasbro.
Yep, all you have right now is

Battlechangers, written/designed by our Skortched Urf' Studios's Chris A. Field who may know as the writer/designer/sometimes artist of Black Tokyo and Otherverse America (which I need to finish). This time it is a custom system...so maybe it won't be bad.

And

Mechamorphosis by Fantasy Flight, which uses the d20 system. I haven't read it yet so who knows.

Or

D20 Mecha if you are really desperate.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Heaven's Thunder Hammer
Master

Post by Heaven's Thunder Hammer »

So it's out, reviews are published... Any takers?

https://www.google.com/search?q=mlp+tab ... bletop+RPG
Last edited by Heaven's Thunder Hammer on Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.