OSSR: Heroes of Horror

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Prak wrote:Oh man, I just looked at Tainted Scholar. What the fuck were the writers smoking when they wrote these prestige classes?
The idea is that if you play them, you die, and all of the ways to not die are NPC only, and that's all totally okay because fuck you for wanting to play an antihero or a villain and nothing on the DM side needs to be balanced anyway.

It's a design trope we've all certainly seen before. A terrible design trope, of course, but a familiar one nonetheless.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

Yeah, excessive corruption gives you a template that makes you undead and unplayable. Excessive depravity gives you a different template that makes you crazy and unplayable.

Sorry about the long laps in this. I'll try to get another chapter up before the end of the weekend.
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

This is the longest chapter so far, so it's suiting that I took the longest break. Sorry for the wait, Prak.

Chapter 5: Heroes and Antiheroes

This is the one where we get to all of the classes and feats. Also spells and magic items. Basically, it's the one chapter that the players will care about.

Archivist
"Stay a while and listen."

This is sort of the Deckard Cain class, or the cleric that casts more like a wizard. Now, despite it's weird-ass dual stat dependency for casting, this is one of the five classes to originally get ranked in JaronK's tier system at the top. Looking at it, the only reason I could possibly see why is cuz they get all teh spellz!!1! Other than that, they seem to be strictly behind the cleric in almost every way. I mean, warlocks were supposed to be able to get all teh spellz!!1! too, but everyone knows they suck.

So, what's this guy do?

You get a poor BAB advancement, good Fort and Will, and d6 Hit Dice. So, you're already two points behind the cleric on the chassis alone. Now, you get four skill points per level, and you're going to want a high Int score, so you're going to get more skills than a cleric. You get access to all Knowledge skills, which matters for some of your Dark Knowledge abilities you get. It's also nice for Knowledge Devotion, which wasn't yet published. You get simple weapon proficiency, and can use light and medium armor, but not shields. So, apart from skills, you're completely behind the cleric.

You get slightly more spells per day than a wizard (or a cleric plus their domain spell), so that's good. You have to cast off of a prayer book (which follows almost all the same rules as a spell book), so that's bad. You get access to all cleric spells when filling the thing up. That's good. You don't get domain spells, so that's bad. I think the part where everyone jizzed their pants is that when you copy from scrolls and texts to add spells, you can add any divine spell. Now, that's pretty good; however, your highest level spell and spell DCs are based off Int, but your bonus spells come from Wis. That's bad.

Sorry Frank and AH; I'm stealing your meme.

So, you're potentially drawing from a list more diverse than a cleric with two domains, but the cleric has a chance to pick any one random ass obscure spell they want within 24 hours, whereas the archivist needs to have it in his book. You could abuse some spell-level shenanigans where you get some Paladin spells that are only levels 1-4 and learn them at a reduced level or something. There's also cherry picking off of some weird lists to get stuff that a cleric never could. It pretty much involves book delving your ass off to come up with enough cool tricks to make it feel like it was worth choosing this casting mechanic.

As for actual class features, you actually do get things for 18 of your 20 levels (and the two dead levels are at 16 and 19). Note that none of these are Turn Undead, so that puts you a lot behind the cleric in terms of abuses of power. There are always divine PrCs that grant the feature, I suppose.

The feature you see the most for this guy is Dark Knowledge. You can use it 3/day at first, and eventually 9/day. It involves making the appropriate Knowledge check against a monster to gain some benefit. Your 1st level ability for this takes a move action and gives allies a +1 - +3 bonus to hit. The 5th level feature grants a +1 - +3 bonus on saves. You can grant +1d6 - +3d6 damage on attacks at level 8. At 11th level, you can dazzle, daze, or stun a creature for one round. 14th level unlocks a +1 - +3 bonus to AC. Really? That last one seems like they just ran out of ideas, or something. You think it could be rolled into the level 1 ability.

You also get Scribe Scroll, +2 to some Int-based skills, +2 to saves vs enchantment, and two whole bonus feats.

Verdict: The flavor of the class is pretty good. You're going to have enough going on for you that you will be viable at pretty much all levels. If anyone in the party rolled a cleric, you might feel a bit like a sucker.

Dread Necromancer
Pictured above: the battleaxe you will never use.

I'll admit: I have a bit of a soft spot for this class. The highest level character I ever ran (from 1st level!) was a 17th level Dread Necromancer. Actually, I lied. She was an 8th level Dread Necromancer with 9 levels between two PrCs. Anyone who's ever read Frank & K's Tome of Necromancy, and anyone who's really looked over the class knows this is an 8-level class.

This class follows the same format as the War Mage and the Beguiler. You get a poor BAB, a good Will save, d6 Hit Dice, light armor proficiency (and the ability to cast in it!), spells-per-day as a sorcerer, and full spontaneous access to your narrowly-themed spell list. Honestly, this was one of my favorite casting rubrics I'd seen come out of 3E. There was a period of time where any casting class I wrote worked this way.

The spell list itself is fairly narrow, but it's not bad. You get a lot of debuffs and some weird utility. You get some summoning, and a lot of your debuffs are pretty solid. As you gain levels, you get a lot of save-or-dies (of course). There are very few buff spells on this list. False Life and Death Ward are the two most notable ones. You get the Planar Binding line of spells... but no Magic Circle Against ___. Sadly, a class built around animating dead makes you wait three levels longer than the cleric to do so.

This class gets some pretty good class features over the first eight levels. You get an at-will touch attack that is about as strong as Inflict Light Wounds. You're not sturdy enough to want to be using it, but it's a touch attack, and not bad in a tight spot. You can also use it for at-will healing for undead, and yourself, if you took Tomb Tainted Soul (which of course you will) from Libris Mortis. You also get Rebuke Undead. This lets you do a lot of the Cleric's Turn Undead tricks.

2nd level gives you DR 2/nothing-at-this-level-is-going-to-overcome-it. It mixes oddly with your 2d6 Hit Dice. At that level, you're often taking little enough damage that you could become surprisingly tanky for a bit. It scales two points about every four levels. It will lag in effectiveness relative to what you will face as you gain levels. You get a 1/day negative energy nova at level 3. Like your touch attack, you're not ever going to run into the fray to use this.

Level 4 gives you an extra Necromancy spell to add to your list. Getting creative can bolster the versatility of your spell list. All you have initially is from the PHB and this book. You also get +2 on saves against some effects that don't normally affect undead.

At 5th level, you get a fear aura as a free action to make people shaken. The poor editing in this book doesn't actually limit it to one use per round, although a successful save means the creature can't be affected for 24 hours. Still, used as (probably) intended, it's a good free debuff to have. You can give fools who get close to you -2 on their saves, and stack it with other cheap effects to send them running.

Level 6 lets you effect a creature with a disease from a short list 1/day. Most of these are stupid, because you're doing relatively little damage to one or two ability scores. The one that jumps out is mindfire, which does 1d4 Int, and takes out animals quite nicely.

7th level gives you a familiar from a pretty good list. You can be casting Commune once a week (for no XP cost) at 7th level, which I found pretty nice. The ghostly visage familiar is off the fucking hook, with at will saves to paralyze anything you're facing. I took the imp familiar with my PC because I didn't want the DM to punch me.

8th level gives you some solid boosts to the undead creatures you just learned to animate. Also, you get another Necromancy spell to add to your list and another use of your tiny nova.

After this, it's mostly stuff you won't care about. Resistance to negative energy (not bad, but comes up infrequently), light fortification, bestowing a handful of negative levels with your touch attack per day (you could do this four levels ago at range with your spells), Craft Wondrous Item at 19th level (WTF!? The flavor is for your future phylactery), and then you become a lich at 20th level. Now, it's not a bad template to just get for free at 20th level, but there are way better things you could be doing with the 11 levels between when you PrCed out, and this.

Verdict: The spell list lacks a lot of the punch of the core casters (especially at high levels), but it's still a strong and surprisingly versatile class. If you're clever with your undead, you can have a lot of fun with it.

Corrupt Avenger
The first PrC in this book is heavily built around this book's favorite mechanic, because of course it is. The only thing I've seen in this book more is advice for the DM to target the friend and families of the PCs (which doesn't come up in this player-centric chapter). Basically, you're a non-evil fightar-type who's been exposed to too much corruption, and now you're all dark and troubled.

You need to be non-evil, BAB +6, and moderate taint (which is pretty high). For your troubles, you get d12 HD, good BAB, good Fort, 4-level casting, and some class features. Your spell list is mostly creepy spells, buff spells, and some good ones like Black Tentacles. Of course, you don't get that one until 13th level, so, who cares?

You get a weird mix of things, like armored casting, a ranger-like ability to pick a sworn foe, and "taint suppression". This one makes you just as crazy as anyone else with depravity, but you can hide your physical corruption unless you're in a tainted area. Of course, it doesn't do anything to lower your level of taint, so you die become unplayable just as fast as anyone else. Also, on a formatting note: I had to chuckle as I read Detect Sworn Foe, which referenced Sworn Foe. I reread everything above I'd skimmed only to realize that the referenced ability came right afterward. Dicks.

You get some smite stuff, so I guess you're like a creepy ranger/paladin. At 3rd level, you can add +Cha mod to saves, which explicitly stacks with Divine Grace. That's actually pretty good, in principle, except you're effectively playing a minimum 9th level fightar with some gimmicks, so it's not that good. You can debuff people by looking super creepy.

There's some stuff for fallen paladins, kind of like what they did with the blackguard. Since you can still be good, you don't have to use these features.

Verdict: Pretty much what you expect from a martial PrC. You get better stuff than you probably would if you hadn't PrCed, but you're not a caster, and most of your tricks come online many levels too late.

Death Delver
You're a weird pseudo-caster who is fixated on death. You need +2 Will, some skills (8 ranks in Concentration, among others), and you needed to have fallen below 0 HP and lived.

For your troubles, you get a cleric chassis, that shitty 4-level casting so many PrCs give out, and some class features. Your spell list is quite small, and is mostly Necromancy buffs and debuffs. You do get Animate Dead at 3rd level (read: 10th character level).

You can sense life as Deathwatch at will as a swift action. You can rebuke undead. You become immune to fear at 2nd level. You can cast Death Ward 1/day (at character level 8), which eventually goes to 3/day. At least it lasts 1 hour/level. You get the Diehard feat (lol). You can make a fear aura 1/day that acts like the Fear spell. You auto-succeed at your Fort save when someone does a Coup de Grace on you, but you still take the damage as normal, so that sucks. You can grant you and your allies +4 on Will saves, pretty much all the time.

At 10th level, you actually get 9 lives. So, you have to track lives on your character sheet, and when you die, you lose one.

Ha! I just glanced at one of the sample NPCs: Monk 5/Death Delver 7. They made a typo when they printed CR 12. This guy could probably play, as-printed, in a 7th level game without pissing any other players off. There's also an actual typo there where they say he has "7 lives left" on his ability to auto-save on CdGs. Wat? They mixed up Cheat Death and Nine Lives, I guess.

Verdict: You're a really shitty cleric with a handful of barely level appropriate abilities, a nice nearly-continuous Will save boost to you and your friends, and you're harder to kill. Of course, an actual cleric would be hard to kill by virtue of being a level-appropriate PC, so, there's that.

Dread Witch
This is the class Prak first mentioned, when wanting me to post this chapter. It's a five-level caster PrC that doesn't advance spellcasting at 1st level. When I first saw that, it pretty much auto-filtered it for me. Still, I remember looking at this thing from several different angles to figure out if I could make it worth it.

It's got a wizard chassis, requires a base Will save of +4, 3 ranks in Knowledge(Arcana), the ability to cast Cause Fear and Scare, and you have to have failed a save against a [fear] effect. So, this is one of those rare PrCs that you can qualify for before 5th level. It's only 4th level, but still.

So, at 1st level, you get no spellcasting, but you get Master of Terror and Unnatural Will. That first ability adds 1 to the DC of [fear] spells (that stacks with Spell Focus). You also add Band and Doom to your arcane spell list as 2nd level spells (ugh, they're not that good). Also, you add +2 to Intimidate per class level (this might be cheesable, if you have a good use for that skill). The second ability gives you the Unnatural Will feat from later in this chapter. This lets you add your Cha mod to all saves against [fear] effects.

Okay, so far, you're definitely taking on an effectiveness debt by taking one level of this class. Wizard 5 is way better than Wizard 4/Dreat Witch 1. It's almost like they timed the entry of this class to make you not get 3rd level spells just to fuck with you.

Level 2, you get Absorb Fear. You get +1 to +3 to caster level depending on if you are exposed to an effect that could make you shaken, frightened, or panicked. Of course, failing your save on the last two means you won't be casting shit, but you don't have to actually be affected by the condition to get the bonus. Alternately, you can forgo the bonuses to cast a single extra spell without using up a slot. This spell will be 0 to 2nd level based on the severity of the effect. You have a number of rounds to use this spell equal to your Cha mod. It's cute, but I don't see it coming up often, and it's not a super big bonus. If you were immune to fear, maybe you could try to drop AoE [fear] spells with yourself inside, but meh.

At 3rd level, you can add the [fear] descriptor to any spell you cast with a visual manifestation 1/day. This makes people shaken 1d4 rounds. You can do this 2/day at level 5. It's a fairly low-level effect for me to get excited about.

Level 4 lets you to delay fear effects by up to a number of minutes equal to your Cha mod. You can also do this to yourself (while taking advantage of Absorb Fear). You also get another +1 bonus to your save DCs for [fear] spells, you can affect creatures normally immune to fear (unless they're 4 levels higher).

At 5th level you get Horrific Aura, which lets you radiate an aura of fear. Creatures with 6 or less HD are shaken if they fail a save. You can make a touch attack Cha mod/day that makes someone panicked for 1d4+1 rounds (Will save makes them shaken 1 round). This works on creatures above 6 HD.

You also get Reflective Fear. If you make a save against a [fear] effect, the effect is immediately redirected to the source. You still can use Absorb Fear. If the source fails their save, any of the original target who failed their save get a second save to shake the effects.

Verdict: Honestly, I still can't see why you'd dump one caster level on this class. I could see it being a pretty good class if it were 5/5 casting, but it's still niche enough that not every wizard is going to take it.

Fiend-Blooded
This is a bad-touched sorcerer PrC. The one thing that jumped out at me in the prereqs is 8 ranks of Knowledge (The Planes), which sorcerers don't get as a class skill. I don't know if this is an oversight (probably), if they wanted you to wait until 13th level to qualify (probably not, looking at everything else, and it's 10 levels), or if they wanted you to multiclass to get in. Oh well.

This is a 9/10 casting class that give you casting for the first nine levels. You get class features every level, too. They're mostly small bonuses to things like AC, ability scores, and saves vs poison. Also, you get small amounts of energy resistance. Your familiar becomes fiendish right at level 1. You get a few extra spells known. You can make a "smiting spell" once or twice per day that does some extra damage if it already dealt damage.

At 10th level, in lieu of a caster level, you get +1 Dex, Con, and Int (on top of an earlier +1), +2 Str, poison immunity, and DR 10/magic. Out of all of that, the DR is kinda neat, but damn, a caster level.

Verdict: Assuming the DM modifies the Knowledge (the Planes) prereq, all you need to get in is 8 ranks in some skills you'd probably already have, the ability to cast 2nd level spells, and two shitty feats. Also, you can't be good. The two feats is the hardest part to swallow, but if you do, you get nothing but freebies for nine levels. They aren't good freebies, so I'd probably just keep the two feats and move on with my life.

Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine
This is another class based completely off of the taint mechanic. You're kind of like an anti-taint cleric, but you get a 1/2 caster level advancement over the next ten levels. Lets take a look and see if the sweet class features are worth the loss of five caster levels. I think we all know the answer before continuing seeing as how this book's been out for 11 years and no one remembers this class exists.

You get a cleric chassis, you need some easy skills, and the Pure Soul feat, that makes you immune to taint. If the DM ran the taint rules the way this book faps to them, this might be a stupidly overpowered feat. If not, this whole class is a waste of space.

At first level you stack levels with cleric/paladin for Turn Undead, you can use Detect Taint at will, and you radiate an aura of purity that makes you easy to spot by tainted creatures. Your spellcasting advances on odd levels, but you're still not going to dip one level into this class for those features.

You get Lay on Hands (just as lame as it's always been), Smite Taint x/day (heh), and some save bonuses to allies against taint. At 6th level (read: 11th character level), you can start removing tiny amounts of taint with a class feature, fueled by Turn Undead.

At 7th level, your "offensive spells" (this is not defined) cast against tainted targets are maximized. This is only 3/day, though. At 8th level, you can make an aura that blocks out creatures with even 1 point of taint.

And... that's it. The rest is just improvements of abilities you already had. You don't get a caster level at level 10; just your allies get an extra +2 on saves vs taint, and you can heal 3 points of taint per Turn Undead attempt instead of 2. Goodie!

Verdict: Yeah, fuck this class. If your DM runs the most tainted of taint-heavy campaigns, just take the Pure Soul feat and play a full cleric. You'll be way better at removing taint and murder hoboing in general.

Tainted Scholar
The last PrC, and also a taint-based one. For anyone who remembers the version of this from Unearthed Archana, it was an RNG-breaking class that let you set DCs based on something that in no way was bound to the d20 scale that saves are based off of. Also, it grants every feature you care about at level 1. It's so fucking weird. But that's not this class. This class, I'm sure, is way better. Lets find out!

The prereqs are easy for a 5th level caster, save that you need moderate taint. Also, it's open to warlocks, explicitly.

It's still a full-casting PrC that grants the same four abilities right at 1st level, but you get extra stuff, as well.

You can do 1 point of damage to yourself to raise the CL of your spell by 1 and get rid of any <1gp material components.

There's a weird ability there where you have to make a Will save (based on your depravity score, which is not in any way tied to the d20 RNG) or be forced to take another level in this PrC. The save is doable if you're at the low end of moderate depravity, but if not, you're not getting out of this class.

Well, it looks like this class also uses your taint score for casting. Depravity determines your spell levels available, and corruption determines the save DC. Any time you cast a spell, you must make a save or gain 1 depravity. All of your arcane spells are [evil]. Depravity scores are weird in this system, and are tied to your Wis score. Getting a higher Wis means you can have a higher score relative to the severity of the depravity (mild, moderate, severe). Same for Con and corruption. For example, the three ranges for a Wis of 10 is 1-5, 6-17, and 18-41 (you become unplayable at 42+). If you have a Wis of 18, the ranges are instead 1-9, 10-29, 30-69. These numbers are the same for corruption.

So, if you have the bare minimum of moderate corruption with a Con of 10, your spell DCs are 10 + spell level + 3 (1/2 your corruption score). If you have the minimum for a Con of 18, you have a DC of 10 + spell level + 5. If you're at the maximum for moderate corruption (with an 18 Con), you're looking at a save DC of 10 + spell level + 14. And that's before getting into severe taint. You can have an 18 Con and be hanging out with corruption 10 points below your "unplayable" threshold throwing around DCs of 10 + spell level + +30. This is in no way based on or limited by character level.
They're not much use after this point.
Well, it looks like this PrC broke the RNG at level 1, too. Of course, the DCs come from corruption, but casting increases depravity. Still, you can bet your ass that anyone who takes this PrC will spend all of their downtime hanging out at spooky locations, eating food they planted in mass graves, or some shit.

I'm going to skim the other class features because Jesus Christ. You can hide that you have corruption, just like the Corrupted Avenger. You get "secrets", limited by your depravity level. This involves taking Con damage to cast metamagic spells without increasing your spell level (because this class totally needs better class features), adding your depravity score (probably a number between 10 and 50) 1/day to a Wis check or Will save, adding your corruption score 1/day to a Con check or a Fort save, minor DR, a bonus feat, and some other weird shit. You get something like Bardic Lore, but you can add your depravity score instead of your Int mod to checks about spooky shit. Fucking fuck, do these guys know how a d20 works?

Damn, you get Contact Other Plane 1/day. It might increase your depravity, but who cares? You're totally in to that shit. You can detect taint in objects. You can cast Limited Wish 1/day, but it increases your depravity and corruption (yay!), and hits you with a Geas/Quest because you have to return the favor.

Verdict: A full-casting PrC that breaks the RNG completely open at 1st level, and the "cost" of your abilities is that you keep breaking the RNG harder. So long as you manage your two taint scores, this class is fucking baller. I suppose, once you've pissed the DM off too many times, he'll just hit you with something that does 5-10 Wis damage, bringing you immediately from moderate taint to "lol, now you're unplayable, no save". So, if you break the RNG too hard, you're looking at being one save away from "dying".

New Feats
We get lots of new feats. As expected from a WotC published book, most of these are kinda meh or downright bad. I'll do some highlights.

This book brings back [vile] and deformity feats from the Book of Vile Body Piercings.

This book introduces tainted feats, which you can only take if tainted. It might specifically require taint or depravity. Everyone also gets bonus tainted feats when they hit moderate and severe taint.

As an odd note, there are a handful of feats with prerequisites of even numbered ability scores. I cannot think of any other book where I have seen that.

Bane Magic: makes all of your damage dealing spells do +2d6 damage to creatures of a specific type. At low level, that's pretty tight if you're fighting a lot of the same type of creature. By mid level or so, you won't notice if you accidentally forget to roll the extra dice.

Corrupt Arcana: If you're a spontaneous caster, you can prepare [corrupt] spells that you find in written form. You still have to pay the corruption cost for casting them.

Deformity (Tall): You gain +5' reach, but you must be medium. So, I guess this doesn't stack with Enlarge Person.

Dreamtelling: This is one of those three shitty dream feats I mentioned a chapter or two ago. You make a Knowledge (the Planes) roll to interpret a dream. The DM makes up whatever the hell they want, you roll, and it's kind of like Augury if you roll okay, or Divination if you roll well. Also, you use Knowledge (the Planes) instead of Survival when in the dreamscape. This ability is likely to come up 0 - 1 times in a standard campaign unless the poor fool who took it bugs their DM repeatedly.

Oneiromancy: Shitty dream feat #2. Requires Dreamtelling and the ability to cast spells. Your spells work normally in a nightmare realm. You have Spell Focus (enchantment and illusion) in the dreamscape. You can deal nonlethal damage with your spells by targeting someone's "dream self" instead of their own self. Doesn't work on certain creature types.

Improved Oneiromancy: Shitty dream feat #3. Requires the first two shitty dream feats. You add several spells to your list of known spells. They're fairly underwhelming unless your DM lurvs dream realms.

Spirit Sense: You can see the sprits of those who have recently died. You can speak with these spirits, if you share a language, but you cannot command them. I'm guessing what they'll say, and if they'll even talk to you is based on circumstance. Could be nice in murder mystery campaigns, and it has some good flavor. It sucks to have to blow a feat on it.

Willing Deformity: A flat-out reprint in this book because it's used as a prereq, but it grants +3 to Intimidate instead of +2, to better line up with Skill Focus, I guess (Skill Focus used to only grant +2 to one skill in 3.0).

I should note that there are a whole bunch of [tainted] feats in this section that add bonuses to your d20 rolls based on your level of taint. It's typically something like +2/+4/+6 or +3/+6/+9. I'm not complaining about that in and of itself, but why the fuck is the Tainted Scholar PrC adding taint scores to their DCs when the feats add much more reasonable numbers? I'm hoping these two sections were written by different authors.

Dread Magic
There's a note that casting [evil] spells increases depravity on a failed save. [Corrupt] spells have been brought back from the BoVD.

I'm not going to go through every spell.

Bestow Wound: (1) A rare way for a sorcerer/wizard to heal. Deals 1 damage/round and heals you at the same rate. Lasts 1 round/CL or until you're at full HP.

Call Forth the Beast: (5) Once the target goes to sleep, they awaken in a bloodlust and go out attacking anyone who aggravates or irritates them. Then they pass out with no memory. This could be a nice seed to some weird murder mysteries.

Chain of Sorrow: (7) Deals 2d10 Cha drain (Will half). If the target fails their save, the next time he touches a friend or loved one, they get hit too. This chain continues until someone makes their save. Dag, yo. I guess I lied about not having anything about targeting friends or family in this chapter.

Dream Walk: (4) Only available to people who dumped three feats on the Oneiromancy feats. Works like Plane Shift, but you go to the dreamscape. I imagine in any sane campaign, the only people who have this are 7th level NPCs who the PCs use to get to the dreamscape for plot reasons.

Familial Geas: (8) Pretty much Geas but if the target dies before completing the quest, it passes to his closest adult relative.

Harm, Greater: (7) Deals 1d12 damage per CL, max 20d12. Of course, normal Harm deals a flat 10 damage per CL, max 150, and the average of 1d12 is 6.5. So, when you get this spell at 13th level, you can cast it for an average of 84.5 damage... or you could cast Harm for 130. Even at max CL, it still only averages 130 damage. What the fuck is this? Did someone just not math that day, or were they planning on it being 2d12 per CL, and someone edited it? I supposed you could do some metamagic to this or something, but fuck.

Greater Harm writer's side job

Harm, Mass: (9) As Greater Harm, but affects 20-foot radius. First of all, shouldn't it be called Greater Mass Harm? Secondly, can't I just have this be like Harm, plus the radius?

Master's Lament: (6) Any damage taken by a caster or their familiar is shared.

Magic Items and Artifacts

Rod of Scantity: It's a +2 bane light mace that affects tainted creatures. Improves the class features of a Purifier of the Hallowed Doctrine. Even if you got this for free at level 1 of that PrC (and couldn't sell it), it'd still be a shitty PrC.

And... that's it for magic items. The rest are artifacts.

Acerack's Robe: It appears to be a robe of the archmagi with a matching alignment to the observer. You get a DC 30 Will save to see past the deception if you have "reason to disbelieve". The robe grants all the abilities of the robe of the archmagi. Plus, 3/day you can cast finger of death with a range of touch (CL 20). Anyone slain comes back as a zombie. You can control 4 HD per level, separate from any other pool of undead control.

Of course, the robe is a dick, so there's a 10% chance any time you touch someone, it uses the ability. There's a 5% chance it will use this at range any time some poor sap spends more than 5 minutes within 20 feet of the wearer. You don't control any zombies animated when the robe kills them. The robe can't be removed unless you cast certain powerful spells.

It seems like the winning play here is to just use your 3/day ability first thing in the morning, every day. There's nothing in here about the robe getting extra uses when it decides to be an asshole.

Blade of Valgyr: This is a chaotic evil intelligent +4 keen unholy wounding bastard sword. It casts detect magic at will and darkness 3/day. It is tainted and forces the wearer to save each day. Each day it doesn't take the life of a lawful good being, it bestows a negative level on the wielder. Once you've drawin it in battle, you can't draw another weapon or get rid of this one.

Rod of Cas: This is Scary Moose's rod. It acts like a large +3 vicious heavy mace that deals bludgeoning and piercing damage (why isn't this just a morningstar?). It acquires the bane property when you take damage from a creature. The bane type can shift as you attack different creatures. It cannot be pulled from the wielders hand (and makes him immune to disarm) until the wielder is dead. Actually cold and dead. If an enemy picks it up, they get hit by Phantasmal Killer. Any attempt to destroy the rod causes it to instantly teleport to Scary Moose, himself. The person attempting to destroy the rod takes the damage they would have otherwise dealt.

Nothing really to add here. It seems obvious what they're going for with each of these.

And, that wraps up this rules-heavy chapter.

Next up: Creatures of the Night!
Last edited by RobbyPants on Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Best BBEG- undead tainted scholar who just cast Chain of Sorrow once and is waiting for the entire world to fall into a coma and starve to death.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Prak wrote:Best BBEG- undead tainted scholar who just cast Chain of Sorrow once and is waiting for the entire world to fall into a coma and starve to death.
It's up to the PCs, a group of friendless orphans, to save the world. They are the only ones to be safe.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

But they have to make sure they don't start caring about one another.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
TiaC
Knight-Baron

Post by TiaC »

Prak wrote:But they have to make sure they don't start caring about one another.
No, that's still fine as long as no one else cares about any of them.
virgil wrote:Lovecraft didn't later add a love triangle between Dagon, Chtulhu, & the Colour-Out-of-Space; only to have it broken up through cyber-bullying by the King in Yellow.
FrankTrollman wrote:If your enemy is fucking Gravity, are you helping or hindering it by putting things on high shelves? I don't fucking know! That's not even a thing. Your enemy can't be Gravity, because that's stupid.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I want this to be a dramatic teen anime, where the party is fighting connection to others and the Big Bad is sending different suitors at the party, trying to break into their uncaring circle, because even though it'd be less trouble to just Crushing Fist them, its not the plan, damnit.

Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

It looks like the thing to do with Dread Witch is stand near your friendly neighborhood Dread Necro, and cast literally every level 1 and 2 buff spell in existence on yourself while delaying the fear. It doesn't actually seem impressive, but I guess that's the thing you do.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Or get an item that casts a fear effect with a low DC at you every round.

Omegonthesane
Prince

Post by Omegonthesane »

I was gonna say, the recommended early-game behaviour for a Dread Necro per the Revised Necromancer's Handbook involved using Intimidate to stack with your Fear Aura so that your enemies ran away. Guessing no synergy with being a Dread Witch yourself.
Kaelik wrote:Because powerful men get away with terrible shit, and even the public domain ones get ignored, and then, when the floodgates open, it turns out there was a goddam flood behind it.

Zak S, Zak Smith, Dndwithpornstars, Zak Sabbath, Justin Bieber, shitmuffin
RobbyPants
King

Post by RobbyPants »

After stupid amounts of procrastinating, it's time to wrap this bad boy up. Three months for six chapters. Oh well.

Chapter 6: Creatures of the Night!

This isn't that big of a chapter. The first bit covers different ways to use monsters. It breaks them out by type. While it makes sense from a MONSTRUOUS MINEAL standpoint, I don't know how you begin to paint with such broad strokes with types as varied as outsider or monstrous humanoid. The second part has all of the new monsters for the book. Each is designed specifically to have some type of connection or use for a horror setting.

Villains in Horror
The book explains how players are likely to be more comfortable with familiar monsters and how we all tend to think of them as piles of numbers. This obviously sucks from a horror standpoint. We get some examples of ways to use existing monsters for a horror setting.

The first suggestion is new takes on standard gothic horror monsters (vampires, wolf-man, Frankenstein's monster, mummies, and ghosts).
  • Vampires can be sinners who can't get into heaven. Wait. which heaven? I guess we're using an alternate cosmology for this setup, or something. You're supposed to play up their predatory nature, making them fearsome beasts that can blend into society.
  • Werewolves are supposedly "nigh-well unstoppable" if you don't have the right equipment... I'm not sure about that. 20 HP and AC 16, even with DR 10/silver isn't going to last long at CR 3. It seems it'd make the difference between it going down in one round or two. Play up the notion that they don't remember what they did, and use it as a murder mystery that's harder to solve. Or, throw all that away and say that they're a symbol of rage that all humans have, and this is a curse of anger rather than a disease.
  • So, you can't really use a flesh golem to represent "Adam" unless you change the rules. Give them an Int score, hopes and dreams, and make this shit all tragic.
  • For mummies, we get a few twists. Maybe the mummy is cursed, but can pass the curse onto some other poor shmuck he kills. Maybe he eschews his wrappings and pretends to be a lesser undead (sneaky DM!). The wrappings might power the mummy, and even if a scrap survives, it can possess someone else. Or, the mummy is a dead king who came back, and assumes the throne, but doesn't remember what it's like to be human (<insert Trump administration zinger here>).
  • One twist on a ghost is that it doesn't want to die, so it starts trying to prevent people from fulfilling whatever it is that gives it rest. Maybe it's goal is insane and murderous, which basically drives the ghost to keep being insane and murderous. Or, what happens when a child or someone with a mental disability becomes a ghost. The child doesn't understand what happened, and tries to hang out with friends and family, but it's touch is fatal, and... damn. This shit is bleak. It certainly works for horror, though.
No place for you in this setting, Casper, unless you're going to accidentally kill that cat.

Next is the break out by type.

Aberrations: Basically, play up how alien these guys are. Don't worry about making them evil, per se. The example hook is a triad of illithids who have lost the ability to feel stimulation aside from observing other races. So they stage an area for slaves to have horrible fuck mutilation orgies. Depending on how the DM describes the scene, I'd put all the creepiness factor on the DM rather than the situation.

Animals and vermin: The first advice is to make certain types of animals malicious, such as spiders, wolves, rats, etc. This personally seems kind of lazy to me. I guess it could make a good story if the PCs were playing eight-year-old kids.

We're then told that you don't have to make the animals evil (thanks). Play up on the sheer numbers of them (like The Birds). The sample hook is a group of druids send a shit-ton of animals into the town, to the point that guards are reduced to skeletons by a carpet of centipedes, or kids are killed by dominated small animals. That's not a bad setup for a boss encounter.

dragons: Dragons are teh awesome, because it was built into their creature type. Play them like that. Maybe they hold super long grudges. They might see humans as lab rats. Maybe the dragons like treasure because of their perceived wealth. So, killing a commoner for its last copper piece is more satisfying than steeling one of a merchant's gold carts. Well, I guess that explains those randomly generated hordes with 10,000 cp. That's a lot of destitute commoners.

Assholes.

The sample hook is dragons that kidnap princess to rape and impregnate them. Ugh. There are so many other ways to make dragons scary than turning them into flying, fire-breathing dickwolves.

Fey: The idea here is to play them up as capricious, narcissistic little shits who care more about some arbitrary set of social mores than life. I guess they're cute aberrations? One example is a nixie that saves a girl, then gets pissed when she grows up and forgets to stop by and thank them annually. Then, a decade later, they drown her kid.

The example hook is to have non-good fey play "pranks" on people that are anywhere from horrific to downright lethal.

Giants: Play up on the whole bully and might-makes-right mentality. They might be predatory, man-eating beasts. The example hook is to have a giant that keeps a settlement as self-sustaining livestock. Too bad for the giant that their livestock can craft weapons and occasionally give birth to people destined to gain a few levels in PC classes. Not very genre savvy, giant...

"Oh, you little shits! That's what you've been doing with all that steel!?"

Humanoids: A super obvious staple. One suggestion is to have an onslaught of humanoids that drains the PCs resources. Or give them class levels. I guess, I can't really expect anything better in three paragraphs than this. How do you explain how to use goblins, elves, and gnomes in a remotely similar way? So, to make them scary, use a lot of them, or make them strong! Holy shit!

The hook suggests focusing more on what people are capable of rather than the individual humanoid. I like this relativistic shit, so this could make for some good stories.

Monstrous Humanoids: Play up the whole "darker side of humanity" thing: murderous yuan-ti, wantonly deadly medusa, deceptive dopplegangers, hags, who embody the creeping ravages of age... wait. What? That's what hags represent? No one has ever looked at a hag and had bad feelings because she's old; it's because she's tearing into their jugular with her ogre-strength and claws. Hags are awesome (compared to people), albeit ugly. I'm pretty sure they represent helpless-looking-people-who-surprise-murder-you. That's a good horror trope. Just go with that, instead.

The hook is a hag who gathers neglected children, gives them false affection, has them lure other kids, and eats some of them. See? Nothing about ravages of old age.

Outsiders: To keep this shit from getting stale, consider having good outsiders (with alien motivations) be the villains. Or, the heroes are forced to make a bargain with evil outsiders and are now on the run from inevitables.

The hook is about a person who made a pact that is fulfilled unto the tenth generation. Damn. These guys are two-and-a-half times as vengeful as YHWH.
Look out, Faust's great-great...great grand kids!

Holy shit! I just realized I got to the end of the advice-portion of this chapter, and not once did they advocate having the DM target the PCs friends or family! They must be getting lazy by this portion of the book. Lets delve into new monsters...

New Monsters
The idea is for each monster to have some sort of horror element to it. Most are pretty obvious. Some of these are actually pretty awesome, too.

Bane Wraith
These were mentioned a few chapters back. They're wraiths that are semi substantial, so you have to make a DC 18 spot check in good lighting to realize they're incorporeal. Also, we get some pimpen art from Daarken, which I love:

What makes these guys spooky is their ability to read the mind of someone, it knows the name, appearance, and where that person believes all of their friends and loved ones to be. It attacks by draining Wis in such a way that you need to make a DC 18 Will save to even notice you've been drained. It can also drain Str, but that is immediately noticed. Killed targets become (normal) wraiths in 1d4 rounds. They also get Detect Thought at will.

So, if you do anything do draw this thing's ire, he'll totally go and attack all of your friend and family (Ha! Looks like I spoke to soon!), and turn them into wraiths. Or, he just hangs around in a crowd of people in dim lighting creating a wraith every seven or so rounds.

Bloodrot
Also a Draaken picture, but not quite as cool:

This is an undead that resembles an ooze. It results from poor fools being liquefied by acid (always? Sometimes? Who knows?).

These guys creep around giving people a new disease called "blood fever". It attacks your Con and Cha, but doesn't go away until you hit 0 Con or get magically healed. You need Break Enchantment to fully get rid of it (this guy is only CR 7), so, that sucks. If you die from it, you become a bloodrot!

It can constrict and has improved grab. Also, it has a weird ability to jump inside of anyone it has already infected. This makes the person nauseated. It takes Remove Disease or Heal along with a DC 20 CL check to remove it. Otherwise, it comes out on its own within 24 hours, and the results are gross as hell.

It can split, like some oozes. The horror element of this guy comes from its ability to sense the direction and distance of anyone it's infected. So, if you run away from an encounter with one of these guys, you're not out of the woods yet.

Bog imp
This is one of my favorites from this book.

They're nasty fey that can breathe underwater. They wait with just their eyes sticking up in swamps, then use their signature sink ability to make you sink into the muck and start drowning. If they do this to an elf, they instead stay alive "pickled", and eventually become a bog imp.

They have a fucked up code of claw that is unique to each clutch. This could be used as part of a plot hook.

Boneleaf
This is an aberration that looks like a plant. It's a lot like an assassin vine that lulls you into approaching it, then murders you all Gygax-style. They have illusion abilities to aid in luring prey, and they favor the taste of decomposing sentient creatures.

What makes them notable is their weird "root system" composed of nerves, that connects them to other boneleaves in area (up to a mile away). There are always 1d6+6 of them in an area connected. So, anything one of them experiences is known by the others. Thus, the next one you encounter anticipates your tactics. It's like those fuckers in Edge of Tomorrow! Sadly, getting their blood on you doesn't confer their awesome save-scumming powers onto you.

Also, at any point, an individual boneleaf can burrow underground to escape.

Corruption Eater
This guy isn't super notable other than it interacts with the taint mechanic that this book lurvs. It attacks corrupted creatures with a bite attack and consumes some of their corruption. So, in a setting where taint is hard to remove, you might actually try to capture one, have it chomp on you for a bit, then heal up. There's really nothing horror-centric about it other than the taint thing.

Taint Elemental
So, in a setting that faps to taint, taint essentially becomes the fifth element.

Sorry, Milla. You got replaced by this fucker:

Similar to the last monster, there's not a lot to this thing in a horror sense other than tying it into the taint mechanic. They get Dimension Door 3/day, so I guess they can jump out and say "boo!". Other than that, they bestow taint.

Dusk Giant
These guys have three sets of stats. As they consume various amounts of HD of creatures, they grow. If the creatures are Int +3, it counts quadruple. If they go too long without doing so, they shrink, and it's painful. So, the idea is a giant that has a mechanical incentive to eat as many people as possible, and he gets really scary when he does.

Cadaver Golem
These guys are golems made of various pieces, but not like flesh golems. As different people get tacked on, they learn some of the people's skills. The golem can replace a limb or sense organ with that from another creature, learning it's skills in the process. This leads to a golem that hunts to improve itself.

Gray Jester
This is a malevolent fey that drains the Cha of people to mind-control them and also casts Tasha's Hideous Laughter. It's used in conjunction with a hag in one of the sample encounters from earlier in the book. It's otherwise a scary clown monster, but black-and-white.
Ha! A black and white one!

Phantasmal Slayer
This is by far the highest CR monster in here (15). Everything else clocks in under 10 (apart from a greater dusk giant). It's an outsider noted for being "fear incarnate". Viewing it under True Seeing reveals the viewers worst fear (awesome!).

The creature runs around under the guise of Phantasmal Killer, although a successful save makes you immune for 24 hours. It has a bunch of fear abilities it can use 1 or 3/day. It's also incorporeal (because if it's truly scary, or course it is). And it has telepathy.

Tainted Minion
This is one of two templates used for the taint mechanic in this book. If you die due to excessive corruption, you become this undead nasty.

It's a template that gets added onto a humanoid. They get a fear aura, change shape (into humanoids), DR, fast healing, and the undead traits. Of course, you're unplayable, so if you get too much corruption, the DM takes your sheet, ads a bunch of shit, and keeps it.

Tainted Raver
Same as above, but not undead, and happens if you get too much depravity. Like the tainted minion, the example version seems to like using the spiked chain, but because he's crazy, he holds the spikes in his hands and bleeds all over the place.

"All work, no play makes Homer something something"

He gets a barbarians rage, but with less limitations. Also, it gets fast healing, uses Cha instead of Wis for Will saves, immunity to confusion and insanity, and it deals depravity damage to anyone who tries to communicate with it telepathically.

Unholy Scion
This is the result of a pregnant women getting badtouched by something. It's sentient, can mind-control it's mother, gets a bunch of SLAs, can use the SLAs through its mother, gets various resistances, and is conceived with an adult's understanding of how the world works.

The idea is a template that makes for creepy, killer babies. Why the example creature in the template is a full-grown lizardfolk is beyond me. I mean, yeah, you can have this template as an adult, but it seems to be more of a low comedy trope than a horror trope to have a villain who's mother protects it. That shit works great for a baby or young child in a horror game, though. I guess this is what you get from a game that doesn't have stats for young humanoids.

Next up:
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Tainted Raver
Holy Shit, I have another thing to put on my old elf PC that just collects rage abilities. And it's not a class, and you just have to be super tainted. Fucking wow.

Count Arioch the 28th
King

Post by Count Arioch the 28th »

I want to comment about fapping to Milla Jovovich's taint except I don't really find her that attractive (pretty enough, but not to my tastes).
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.