DDO

Discussions and debates about video games

Moderator: Moderators

AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

DDO

Post by AndreiChekov »

I had heard that its a terrible game, and it is but I play it anyway. If any of you want to play with me, I'm on the Orien server as Leemoonyoung, moonyounglee, moonyoung, and moonlee.

Oh, and from this game, I have come to the conclusion that no professional game designer anywhere actually understands what they are doing, and have once again had it proven that people will blindly believe claims to balance whether or not they are true.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Fwib
Knight-Baron

Post by Fwib »

In what ways do you judge DDO to be horribly unbalanced?
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

The thing that initially caught my eye is how elves can access arcane archer without being a ranger. Which makes ranger archers completely obsolete. You can do everything they do, and have spells by being an elf cleric. Oh, and you get +1 to attack rolls with bows if you pick the right deity which offsets the penalty to BAB.

Also, the way traps work make so that new players will have a horrible time if there is no rogue in the party, and you can pretty easily run 1 rogue level and do everything a rogue does, but you have to plan carefully to do it, and it is a bit of a headache to make the numbers work out right.

And, again the same problem that existed in P&P with wizards rule, fighters drool. While the gap is closer, a party can easily run without a fighter, but trying to run with a good CC or buffer at high levels is nigh on impossible. Fighters get things like +1 to attack and dmg with a specific set of weapons, while wizards get +1 to save DCs. looks like similar numbers, but anyone here could tell you which matters more.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
Ikeren
Knight-Baron

Post by Ikeren »

I played it a few times on and off, getting clerics to 20, then 25, did a few reincarnates, a paladin and a barbarian. I had fun, but I think the bigger problem was that even with buying a fair bit of content (I probably spent ~$100 over a couple years), it was pretty easy to memorize most of the content even on just a few pass throughs. Once you got to higher end material, it got straight up very grindy.

And the "if you don't have a rogue, elite runs are fucked" problem was frustrating when TR-running
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

Oh yes. so very grindy. I'll go and play it for a month, and then stop for a couple. Only way I can forget quests and make them interesting again. the worst part of the grindiness is that you don't have enough quests available for free to get to level 20 the first time. and even if you have bought packs, once you reincarnate, the xp penalty is dreadful.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

I tried it for a few weeks when it first came out.

It's 4e all over again only worse, and the other players were all rude L33T.*

Of course, then again, so is WoW.

EDIT: * Wait. Maybe that was "Neverwinter" I was thinking of. I can't remember it's been so long. Either way, I have yet to see a decent D&D MMO.
Last edited by JonSetanta on Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

You are probably thinking about Neverwinter

DDO is 10 yrs old. and I think that makes it older than 4th ed, but I can;t be bothered to do the google search to find out. That being said, in that amount of time, they still have a game thats as large as wow when it first came out.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x