The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
New Fighter *PATHFINDER*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention...
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: New Fighter *PATHFINDER* Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well I posted this over on the Paizo forums and got some responses. I was wondering what people over here thought of it.

Please feel free to laugh and or make fun, but I would love some constructive along with the criticism so I can be less terrible.

Also be aware this is for a Pathfinder game so please keep that in mind.

I have also included my house rules for context on changes.

Google Drive Preview is being shitty about page breaks so please click the "Open with" button at top and select Google Docs.

House Rules

Fighter

Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.

Last edited by Covent on Wed Jun 15, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
...You Lost Me
Duke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

This is like way too many words for something that doesn't bring the fighter in line with cast-y types, which I assume is the default goal for classes posted on TGD.

This also doesn't work for of anyone who wants to use the fighter as a default 'simple' character, which is bad for NPC fighters and new players alike. Between those two, I don't see a reason to use this class.
Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:
I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep pretty much where I am at with this one, but funnily enough it is getting a response of much too powerful from the Paizo forums.
Being wrong is something that rightly should be celebrated, because now you have a chance to correct and then you'll be better than you were five minutes ago. Perfection is a hollow shell, but perfectibility is something that is to be treasured.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

You are still a shitty fighter that does shitty fighter things in combat. You are still a shitty fighter, so you have no out of combat abilities. You get to make all saving throws, because fuck RNGs.

I give it a 1/10.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
OgreBattle
King

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Muscle memory to shuffle around feats is interesting but doing it mid-combat would bog down gameplay for me. I think it'd be better if a Fighter had feat slots they could swap in and out in downtime, like a wizard's spell preparation.

Call it something like "Training montage". Also let them swap around weapon specialization with downtime. This way the Fighter doesn't run into the problem of "A magic hammer? Sorry I'm a spear fighter"

Quote:
it is getting a response of much too powerful from the Paizo forums.

That's to be expected, Paizo makes errata to nerf monks
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Made some changes to the Fighter still not my best work, but feel free to comment.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Maybe you should specify what they are, because there are like 50 abilities in that class, and they all look the same as last time when you also had 50 abilities, and I don't want to reread everything just to find out what changed.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2016 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Sorry my bad I collapsed the save bonus from bravery, armor training and Thews of steel into bravery and Steel. Removed the scaling down of weapon training. Removed the rerolls and added a Reroll pool ability called perfection, added a recovery ability called honed, added a armor training ability called beyond magic, and added a weapon training ability called steel is supreme.

Should have posted a change list. Thanks for even bothering to look.
OgreBattle
King

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

What feats would you recommend using muscle memory for?
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

My first thoughts were for style feats or item mastery feats. However I admit to not having done a comprehensive review.

Last edited by Covent on Tue Jun 21, 2016 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
radthemad4
Duke

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Martial Study/Stance (3.5) or Martial Training N (Path of War) comes to mind.

Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I am worried that Honed is too much a disassociated mechanic. Anyone have a better way to address it?
radthemad4
Duke

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Conditioning?
OgreBattle
King

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Resolve would fit if you don't mind it also being a PF samurai ability of similar use.

Maybe it can use the same resource as muscle memory so I can expend it for feats or for healing, then it's basically a ki pool...
Covent
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Thanks I will take a look at that!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> It's My Own Invention... All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: