A common trope in fantasy

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

A common trope in fantasy

Post by phlapjackage »

So I'm reading yet another fantasy novel series (Demon Cycle by Peter Brett) and it's another of the fantasy stories that has a premise of "it's actually our world in the far future after an apocalypse, oh and magic is here now". And so now I've been thinking back to many of the other fantasy stories I've read / heard that had this same premise:

- Demon Cycle
- Shannara books
- Saberhagen's Book of Swords
- Greyhawk
- Shadowrun (kind of a stretch, but...)
- McCaffrey's Pern series
- Planet of the Apes (no magic, but still a "surprise! it's been our world all along!")

This is probably something everyone else in the world has seen and thought about and is over it and I'm years late to the party. But I'm curious, is this a commonly acknowledged "thing"? Is it talked about as a common trope like the Hero's Journey and all that? Why? Is it just easier/more effective to base a fantasy world on things that are familiar, like you don't have to draw a whole new map or whatever.
Last edited by phlapjackage on Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Re: A common trope in fantasy

Post by Kaelik »

phlapjackage wrote:- McCaffrey's Pern series
From my memory, Pern was some random space world colonized from Earth.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Blicero
Duke

Post by Blicero »

The genre you would be talking about is often called the "Dying Earth" genre. It has existed for a while. An early D&D-like example is Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique stories, written in the 1920s and 1930s.

Edit: You also have stuff like Conan, CAS's Hyperborea, and even Tolkien I guess that nominally takes place in the distant past of our Earth.
Last edited by Blicero on Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Out beyond the hull, mucoid strings of non-baryonic matter streamed past like Christ's blood in the firmament.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Kaelik wrote:From my memory, Pern was some random space world colonized from Earth.
Yeah I think you're right, I couldn't remember if it was our world or some colonized world. I think my "common trope" idea would be better expressed as "finding out that this fantasy-world used to actually be advanced-science-world".
Blicero wrote:The genre you would be talking about is often called the "Dying Earth" genre. It has existed for a while. An early D&D-like example is Clark Ashton Smith's Zothique stories, written in the 1920s and 1930s.

Edit: You also have stuff like Conan, CAS's Hyperborea, and even Tolkien I guess that nominally takes place in the distant past of our Earth.
Cool, thanks, now I have some terminology to go explore!

As for Conan/Tolkien/etc, I thought about including those, but I don't think those fit in with the idea I'm ruminating on, expressed above as something like "fantasy-world that turns out to have been an advanced-science-world in the distant past".
Koumei: and if I wanted that, I'd take some mescaline and run into the park after watching a documentary about wasps.
PhoneLobster: DM : Mr Monkey doesn't like it. Eldritch : Mr Monkey can do what he is god damn told.
MGuy: The point is to normalize 'my' point of view. How the fuck do you think civil rights occurred? You think things got this way because people sat down and fucking waited for public opinion to change?
Mechalich
Knight-Baron

Post by Mechalich »

Sometimes these sort of explanations exist as a hedge against the idea of having a fantasy world that is just like Earth in all the important physical and biosphere ways as being too much of a stretch. It seems to be a thing that was somewhat more common in older fantasy. I think D&D may have actually helped to break through that particular barrier.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

Mechalich wrote:It seems to be a thing that was somewhat more common in older fantasy.
I had this thought too, but it was more a gut feeling and I couldn't come up with any concrete examples of it being more common back in the day than nowadays.

I guess at it's heart it's post-apocalyptic. Most older fantasy was set farther in the future after the apocalypse, far enough so that only very small hints remained of the previous world and there's a strong "lost knowledge" theme. Nowadays postapocalypse stories are set recently after the apocalypse, close enough so that it's very obvious where the story takes place (zombie movies, Waterworld, the Postman, Snowpiercer, that Denzel Washington movie, etc) and there's not as much of a lost knowledge vibe.
Artless
Journeyman

Post by Artless »

A bunch of D&D mechanics borrow heavily from the works of Jack Vance, and he is one of the big figures of Dying Earth fiction.

I'm biased to recommend it cause I enjoy his work for particular reasons but if you want another series to look into, Gene Wolfe's Book of the New Sun is worthwhile.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

You see it in real world mythology too. Vedic, Abrahemic, Norse, Greek and so on have stories of an age of the awesome people that lived with fantastic monsters, then something happened and the age the audience lives in takes place far after that.

You also have apocalypse and post apocalypse scenarios like ragnarok, various denominations of judgement day, and so on.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

The Legend of Zelda hints that "the world had a sci-fi civilization in ancient times"* a bit in several games, and rubs it quite heavily in Skyward Sword with sentient robots and your "magic" sword talking like an AI.

*dev word was that the first Legend of Zelda was planned to end with the triforce being a super computer.

Phantasy Star III seems like it starts on a fantasy land, but then you discover that the world you knew was actually a colony ship.

Phantasy Star I and IV kinda reverse the trope in that you start in sci-fi land but then the big bads are fantasy forces.

Phantasy Star II is sci-fi from the start but then goes into fantasy then flips around again with the final big bads being colonists from Earth.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Terranigma?
Arguably Cadillacs and Dinosaurs maybe?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

The Might and Magic series of games all end with hard left turns into science fiction land. But really we're all harking back to Jack Vance and Roger Zelazny when we do our far future fantasy barbarism thing. The Dying Earth books and Lord of Light are extremely influential on D&D and thus on modern fantasy in general.

-Username17
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

The Swords series is an intersting example in that its predecessor, the Empire of the East books are much more firmly in the "seems like fantasy but is still obviously postapoc to the reader", with functioning tanks and shit.
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

late 80's 90's sci fantasy's one of my favorite aesthetics for RPGs

Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

FrankTrollman wrote:The Might and Magic series of games all end with hard left turns into science fiction land. But really we're all harking back to Jack Vance and Roger Zelazny when we do our far future fantasy barbarism thing. The Dying Earth books and Lord of Light are extremely influential on D&D and thus on modern fantasy in general.

-Username17
Are they? I'm trying to remember anything that seems directly influenced by Lord of Light, and nothing comes to mind.
shau
Knight-Baron

Post by shau »

OgreBattle wrote:late 80's 90's sci fantasy's one of my favorite aesthetics for RPGs

I was about to ask you where that is from, but the image name gave it away. I was really thinking Shining force too but I could not remember either character displayed there.
phlapjackage
Knight-Baron

Post by phlapjackage »

OgreBattle wrote:late 80's 90's sci fantasy's one of my favorite aesthetics for RPGs
Yeah maybe this is why I like it too, 80's/90's was my growing-up years and I imprinted on this type of thing. And good point, besides books, there are tons of video games/movies/tv shows with this same trope. Most recent I've seen is that show being filmed in Louisiana called Into The Badlands.

I'm not sure this idea fits into the "Dying Earth" genre. Having read up on it, Dying Earth genre emphasizes, well, that the Earth (or wherever) is dying, with themes of "world-weariness, innocence (wounded or otherwise), idealism, entropy, (permanent) exhaustion/depletion". But the genre I'm thinking of has the "Earth" already dead, and now new life/culture is rising again, and it's a very different life/culture than what came before. Themes of exploration, discovery, old long-forgotten history, etc.

As OgreBattle said, I guess my idea is more like plain old sci-fantasy.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Dying Earth has so few elements of our Earth that is unrecognizable. All the peoples and place names are made up fantasy stuff.

The techno-magic artifacts of early D&D are more Lord of Lightish in their makeup, being as they are clearly of technological origin. The Machine of Lum the Mad is a thing that a character in Lord of Light might have, while in Dying Earth the future tech is basically Kryptonian power crystals and there's no real "super tech" vibe to anything. It's all indistinguishable from magic on a thematic level.

-Username17
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

shau wrote:

I was about to ask you where that is from, but the image name gave it away. I was really thinking Shining force too but I could not remember either character displayed there.
The one with the wheels is Guntz in his promoted form of Steam Baron. He is from Shining Force One. He was pretty much a literal Tank.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.