Game moments that were awesome

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Prak
Serious Badass

Game moments that were awesome

Post by Prak »

We started a new Runequest story arch tonight. I decided to play a mad scientist type potion maker/alchemist, heavily influenced by Prof. Farnsworth, and the GM used the short amount of time we had after character creation to get the characters together.

One character is a nomad from the savannah-like Prax, followed by a talking baboon sidekick, who wanders around with another character, a celtic/viking pastiche body guard. So they're in a tavern, drinking, while my character's in his little workshop trying to find a cheap alternative to potion reagents. The baboon goes to take a shit, and in his drunken wandering, comes to my workshop, pounding on the door. I have no clue what's going on, but the door is starting to take damage, so I open it to find out. In strolls the baboon, to go and shit in my potion pot, and leave.

"...well, it might work..." *cast damage spell into pot* "...now, where's that monkey...." *wanders off in search of baboon, carrying pot of water, rooks, booze and shit*

The baboon has returned to the tavern, and has just finished expounding on the differences between monkeys and baboons, finishing with "and monkeys go around throwing shit on people!" when I enter
"Ah! The monkey!" *splashes pot at the table of the body guard, nomad and baboon*

The baboon ducks under the table and rolls out of the way, and the nomad manages to evade. The body guard, my closest friend of the group, IRL, fails due to the drunkness penalty, and takes a point of damage to the chest, causing a very minor magical effect visual to go off. Cue him trying to punch my character in the face, and completely missing, as I say "Ah! It worked!" turning, and tottering off with my now empty pot as the body guard tries to grab me, again, drunkenly failing, while I go find a barrel. I run into the knowledge-god-worshipping Sage character of the group outside, whom I know before game, while the body guard throws a tankard through the window, missing again and causing it to sail right between our heads, and say "Armenia! I've just found that baboon shit is a viable reagent!"

I think I've found a character type that suits me, including my slight short-sightedness in matters of "a potion maker should be able to discern magic, so they know when the process worked without having to go test it on a monkey".

However, I know plan on paying the npc monkey side kick for his shit to use in potions of "hurt people."
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Krakatoa
Journeyman

Post by Krakatoa »

After a run in with an evil goddess growing magical crystals with a nefarious purpose, our fighter added this entry to her journal:
Molochio
Journeyman

Post by Molochio »

Mildly entertaining.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Oh, is this for anyone to post?

Because I have a lot of awesome moments to post.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
mean_liar
Duke

Post by mean_liar »

Yermak is being played by me. We've been hounded by assassins for two game sessions and I'm done with it, and have just barreled into the assassin's lair to bring an end to the harassment. Several assassins have died on the way in. The PCs are basically untouched.

Yermak and his mates are surrounded by assassins and negotiating with Master Cyex, the headmaster.

Yermak: “Master Cyex! I will kill you and your followers without end! You will cease your attacks or I will eradicate your guild single-handed! How much are these men worth?”

Master Cyex: “They are worth five-thousand apiece!”

Yermak: “Then this is the deal. You will pay us twenty-five-hundred for each assassin head I bring back to you for as long as you think you can kill me. Is this a deal?”

Master Cyex: “Fool, you think I am -“

Yermak: Interrupting. “That’s not a number.”

Yermak beheaded another assassin in a single stroke, a man Master Cyex had known for years as The Knotmaster. The axe was still dripping blood when Yermak artfully kicked the man’s head at Master Cyex.

Yermak: “I have changed my mind. You will pay me now or I will kill all of you, and you will bring us the contracts against us that I may see them.”

There was a brief pause. Master Cyex considered the odds: himself, eight assassins in the immediate area, a dozen more that could be called to action… against Sebastian, Yermak, and Zipper. He conceded without further hesitation: a wave of his hand send an underling to collect what coins they could and return the payment Sebastian had just rendered, as well as the contract. It was all collected hastily and presented to Yermak, who had one of the assassins open the offered chest and count its holdings.

All was there and Yermak, smiling, picked up the chest and turned from Master Cyex… in a spinning motion that took him right back, this time to smash the chest against Master Cyex’s head.

The battle that followed was bloody and awful, with Sebastian’s magic killing many and Yermak’s axe finding the rest that would otherwise hide and survive. Many men died, though none of them important to Yermak or Sebastian. When the bloodshed subsided and the last wounded man was executed, the Assassin’s Guild was experiencing a profound lack of leadership and ability to defend their tenancy.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

"I'd like you to line up a buyer for this object I 'found.'"
"Whoa, who'd you have to kill to get this?"
"Hey now, I didn't say that anyone 'gave' it to me."
Koumei
Serious Badass

Post by Koumei »

Well, some exerpts from the Touhous "It's Cold Outside" game I've been running on IRC:

First, the praise after last session:
<PurpleXVI> I definitely had fun. :3
<Dogstar> Thank you for running this game for us.
<PurpleXVI> Yeah, seriously, I appreciate it.
<~Sister_Acacia> No problem. I'm glad you're all having as much fun as I am
<PurpleXVI> I honestly don't think I'd enjoy this game if anyone else was running it.
<~Sister_Acacia> Because the basic core of it is "Go to ____ and stab ____ in the face", but I wrapped it up in... whatever comes out of my diseased mind?
<PurpleXVI> Pretty much, it's simple and direct. With another GM it'd be bland, with you, Reiz, Dogstar and Zep, it's fun. :D
<Dogstar> We add character to the concept.
<PurpleXVI> Pretty much.
<Zeplin666> it really is a fun game
<Dogstar> I've never played a Touhoulike character before.
<Dogstar> inb4 "You're still not."
<Zeplin666> i've got the hat to do it now
<Reiz> I'll be honest, I look forwards to this each week.
<Reiz> It's everything I love about 3.5 mixed with just really being rather silly, without it being lolrandumb.
General highlights:
[*]The plot started as a thinly redecorated "It's Winter in Europe, Ukraine are stealing heating supplies on route from Russia, STAB UKRAINE IN THE FACE". One of the PCs is now Baroness of "Ukraine".
[*]There is an ice fairy with low Int, high Str, and Str-powered Psionics. See: EYE AM THE STRONGEST!
[*]There is a Mummy, who serves the 4' tall Vampire Spawn Aristocrat around as a bodyguard.
[*]They now have affection gauges as though this were a dating sim.
[*]The best magic items are hats.

At one time, the Mummy went to attack a Worg, punching it in the head while shouting "Play dead!" She rolled a 1, so ended up patting it on the head.

It then rolled a 1 to hit, so I decided "What the fuck, why not?" and had it play dead (crushing the goblin sitting on its back), leading to a conversation.

So far there have been two magical tea parties, one of them involving ingredient-hunting and fighting the evil Overseer (the boss fight for the story arc) who had outlawed tea. Which means they levelled after a tea party.

So it's a huge success.
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:There is NOTHING better than lesbians. Lesbians make everything better.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

A few moments from games that were memorable:

In one of the first games I DMed, I made a novice mistake of allowing the Savage Species Shadow in my game.

And it was optimized up the wazoo by the player.

However, it led to what is widely considered by my gaming group to be the best moment in any game of D&D.

He had some sort of ability that allowed him to deal acid damage, and the lord of the city they were in's chariot rolled down the street they were on, and the shadow stayed in the way, and dissolved an axle (which I allowed.) The chariot continued on, as did the players (the people not playing shadows, i.e. all of them but that one, came out of hiding behind some barrels for cover) and my narration:
Me, DMing wrote:"The street gradually starts to run downhill. After you have walked about 200 feet, you hear "AAAHHH!" *crash*"
Everybody present burst out laughing, and I was told that it was the best ad-hocing of anything that any of them had ever seen.

Later, the same shadow captured a slaver in his ship, disfigured him using the acid, and sold him as a slave to the lord of town (who was now in crutches, and reported that "his wagon mysteriously broke.")

The same player later decided to play a feral mineral warrior half-ogre half-minotaur gnome barbarian (as we both agreed that the shadow was game-breaking, and explained in-game that the shadow wanted to pursue solo killing projects), who was not broken, although a very powerful melee combatant (basically a Frenzied Berserker that could be killed, and didn't run risks of killing his friends, that had a Strength in the 50s, but an Int of 3 and a Cha of 1).

The party sorcerer once introduced him as "his Pokemon."

Later, they entered a house in the same city, and there was the silhouette of an attractive woman, who was behind a curtain in her quarters. The sorcerer decided to seduce her, in order to get some information out of her (they knew she was prominent in town) and rolled a 20 on his Diplomacy check (he also had maxed out ranks and a maxed out Cha). The woman, as it turned out, was a yuan-ti half-blood with a serpent's head, who fell wildly in love with him and begged him to marry her, offering him anything. He said that he would meet up with her later, after receiving her fortune.

The mutant gnome (his player and I call him the proto-Mulk, as it started a trend of his producing DMFs called "Mulks," apparently named after a Hulk parody in a bad episode of the Simpsons) decided that he wanted to join in on the action, and, horrifically, pulled down his pants.

It turned out that something was gnome-sized on an ogre-sized creature.

The yuan-ti lady ordered him to put his pants on and leave, of course, and soon enough everyone had, trying to forget the ordeal, even though they were a lot richer.

Strangely enough, this wasn't the last time someone in my gaming group would have a character pull down his pants (but more about that later.)

So eventually, the party made their way to the BBEG (nothing out of the ordinary, a necromancer lich of a few levels above them)'s tower, and made it to the highest room, where they saw nothing but a cat (actually the lich in disguise). The sorcerer said that he hated cats, and fired a spell off at it, breaking the illusion and causing a rather hilarious way of preventing an ambush. His player later stated that he didn't know that the cat was anything more than a cat, and it really was just that his character hated cats.

In a friend's game, another player (not the one who played the shadow and the gnome) played an ogre who, in the middle of combat with some kappa fighters who wielded exotic weapons, decided to ejaculate on them.

No, really.

He did, although of course it didn't do anything besides gross everyone out, and it was up to the rest of the party to finish them off. After I killed the dual sai-wielding one with a fireball (which, in a reference to the old Turtles in Time arcade game, caused them to state "Forgot the sunscreen! We don't want his kind though,") the DM stated sadly, "Raphael was my favorite turtle."

Later the ogre went up to a woman guarding the entrance to a building, and tried to seduce her, which resulted in him getting punched in the balls. When he continued, he was captured (no one cared to rescue him) and we later found him castrated. We later found out what had happened to what he had lost, as this was an Oriental Adventures game, and it turned out that dried Ogre penis was considered powerful and valuable traditional medicine.

Needless to say, no one's character ever pulled their pants down in another one of any of our games again.

Nor did that player ever play a male character again.

Although, our characters did start selling ogre wang whenever we defeated an ogre in any game.

In a later game I ran, one of the players, a tiefling wizard, cast Tasha's Hideous Laughter on the BBEG, a devil who ended up rolling poorly on a Will save, and they sawed off his arms and legs, while he was still laughing.

I showed this as a depiction of what he looked like.

They later ended heading up to the same city where they had wreaked havoc in an earlier game, and by this point the ruler had found out what had happened to him, and they ended up hunting down the shadow (with my friend's permission, of course; it was actually his suggestion that we do that).

On the way there, they went around killing everyone in town (other than the Thieves' guild, who they were working with), and casting Speak with Dead to get info from them as to where they hid their valuables.

At one point another ogre PC (I don't know what it is with people playing ogres in our games, but this one never pulled down his pants, so it was OK) hit a bandit so hard (more than enough to kill him) that I ruled that he bashed the head off and over the wall of the city like a home run.

He also killed a leprechaun.

Green goo went flying everywhere.

In a 4e game (hey, I hadn't played it before), I played a warlock who used Intimidate to end an encounter with some kobolds, which, since nobody knew how the hell Intimidate was supposed to work, allowed me to get two kobold slaves.

Best. Reward. Ever.

And finally, my friend (the same one who played the shadow and the gnome) is running a Tome game, where I'm playing a quadruple kusari-gama wielding ghoul thri-kreen samurai (with a Dex of 36) who whores out on attacks of opportunity.

This is by far the most ridiculous game I've ever been involved in.

The game's premise is that all elves are inherently evil, and banded together when they realized that they could rule the surface world. Kraagik (the name of my character) was a leader of his people, who were slaughtered by the armies of an elven general named Megakill (one of the villains of the campaign). They were ancient enemies of the elves, and Kraagik himself was brought back from the dead as a ghoul by a wizard (Kraagik's Lord, who later turned out to be working with the elves, causing Kraagik to strike him down in rage). Tormented with the spirits of his people, who essentially functioned as his ancestors, Kraagik vowed to feast on the heart of Megakill.

On an aside, since the DM forgot to design a map for his world, he used a map of Middle-Earth, much to the dismay of the Lich Paragon (who used the method of destruction of his artifact phylactery as "the fires of Mount Doom," because there actually was a Mount Doom in this game.

The party, searching for a man named Flounder, as he supposedly knew a lot about the elves' plans and thus went into hiding in fear of retribution, got attacked by a Tyrannosaurus that charged headlong into a wall of force placed by the lich. The DM ruled that it died on impact, despite the player himself suggesting that it shouldn't.

It turned out to be Flounder's pet, and the lich's offer to bring it back as a zombie didn't seem to be much consolation, but he still eventually gave us the information we needed on Megakill's army.

There's also a running gag of us being attacked by giant constrictors. (Why does it have to be snakes?)

We spent much time in Bree, the last line of defense against the elves, which resulted in a lot of bad cheese puns (most notably, Megakill sent his advanced calzone golem (no, really, calzone golem, it's from some Wizards adventure) "Pizza the Hut" (a homage to Spaceballs, of course) and its follower Boba Feta, both of whom we soon dispatched of.)

Soon, we met with Megakill himself, who was coming to dispose of us personally. He was described as looking like Judge Doom (after he reveals he's a Toon) from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" wearing the Dark Knight Joker's makeup and Glasgow smile, with pointed ears, wearing the Comedian (from Watchmen)'s leather armor, and carrying a Colossal crossbow (he was a Jester, and the DM forgot the weapon sizing rules in RoW, but we all agreed that it was so ridiculous that it was OK for him to be able to wield it. There was Rule 0, of course, but again, nobody minded.) His spells all had verbal components of bad puns. After some Who Framed Roger Rabbit and The Princess Bride references (Megakill: Remember me, Kraagik? When I killed your clan, I sounded just... like... THIS! Kraagik: My name is Kraagik. You killed my clan. Prepare to die.) Leaving the rest of the party to dispose of Megakill's shadows (he had the Necromantic feat to create incorporeal undead,) I disposed of Megakill, and did indeed eat his heart. However, he had a contingent Magic Mouth cast on his heart, and it insulted my ability to eat it properly. He similarly had one cast on his head, making bad puns as always, but I still kept it as a trophy (houserule: the DM gives action points to anything that makes him laugh, and that includes bad puns, and agreed that having Megakill's still talking head was a good way to do that).

Kraagik was about to kill himself, considering his quest over, but was approached by the spirits of his ancestors, saying that Megakill was only the subordinate of a more powerful elf general, Death By Nitrous Oxide. After returning to Bree, we found out that the mayor heard that Death By Nitrous Oxide was preparing an all-out attack on Bree, and we headed to their encampment. Most of them were low-level warriors that were taken out by the lich's cloudkill. When the lieutenants saw us surrounded by so many dead, they asked what happened. The lich replied, completely deadpan, "I farted." I couldn't help but laugh. After killing them, we used Speak with Dead to find out where Death by Nitrous Oxide was, and discovered that he had taken the form of the mayor's son!

Heading back to Bree, we found the mayor, who told us that his son was dead. This was true, but now Death by Nitrous Oxide had taken form of the mayor. He revealed his true form. Death by Nitrous Oxide was Huge sized, had a face "resembling a cross between an ape and a lizard," with a Mad-Eye Moody style giant googly eye and "steam shooting out of his pointed ears like an angry cartoon character, only constantly", two "Popeye" arms, and four thri-kreen arms, which were sewn on, taken from a legendary thri-kreen hero. The rest of his body resembled a huge, muscular elf's, and he wore naught but underwear, suspenders, a cape, a top hat, and a monocle over his non-crazy eye. He wielded four trees (game mechanically: ironwood greatswords) and a tower shield taller than himself. Death by Nitrous Oxide could survive in melee combat with me, and save-or-dies from the lich (none of the other PCs had even a chance to hurt him), and although we eventually whittled down his health to near-death, he teleported away. Kraagik threw Megakill's severed head at the ground in rage.

We leveled up, as his fleeing counted as a defeat, but we were also warned that Death by Nitrous Oxide would return, even more powerful next time (read: he leveled up too.)

OK, that was a lot longer than I expected.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Tue Jan 18, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

In one of my last long-term games, I had played a few different characters. But the first character was an undead archer crafter. Virgil had given me an option of eating the dead body of the monsters we fought as a type of healing because of the whole neg energy thing. It wasn't a big deal but it was cool flavor. I mean i could have just used wands.

Having a fighter crafter was fun.

We were going through a story arc where a certain part of a world was being submerged by water and the kuo-toa tribes were taking it over. We caught a chieftain and were trying to interrogate him. Whatever we tried, we didn't get many results. Paras (undead archer) started to get frustrated and just bent down and took a bite out of his arm. It turned out to be the best intimidation tool and we had him telling us a lot of what they were planning.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

In my first D&D game, I was a level 47, dirty naked dwarf with a magic sword. I was playing DF adventure mode before ToadyOne even started his project.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Molochio
Journeyman

Post by Molochio »

@the_taken: I like this concept. Sounds similar to a, the end is the beginning, manner of story. Can you tell more of what became of this dwarf and how he came to such a state of being from the start?
"Come... Submit... Obey... I am your friend and master. Your thoughts are like water to me."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

So after a month of "oops, no game today, we're sick" and "no game, we're at a con" and "oh crap! that con is this week!" our GM got back and ran for us again. He could no longer remember what the hell, specifically, was going on in the game we were in, and, given that we're in con season and that's how he makes a living, was liking the episodic nature of Chaosium's Basic Roleplaying system.

So everyone picked a character from literature, movies, tv, or real life and we figured them out in the system. We wound up with Brainiac 5, Boba Fett, The Hulk, Fal lo She (Fu Manchu's daughter and basically Talia Al Ghul's Spiritual Precursor, I think) and The Joker (me).

Basically "you all wind up in a room, ripped from where you belong and have to work together to get back to where you belong" working through worlds in a Sliders kind of fashion.

The first world is Disney style Oz. We find the Tin Man, Lion, etc etc in the poppy field (Fal Lo and the Joker are determined to be familiar enough with the story to know what's going on, and we both happen to have gas masks, so we're wearing them, knowing about the Poppys). Hulk picks up the Lion, Fal Lo oils the Tin Man, I, having been reminded the living apple trees are a different copse, stop trying to harass normal trees and help stuff the Scarecrow (torn between knowing what's going on, and making DC shout outs) and the oiled Tin Man picks up Dorothy, and everyone heads off towards the Emerald Palace as flying monkeys are gliding around harmlessly above us.

That is until I decide the most in character thing for the Joker is to decide he wants to bag himself a flying monkey, pull out my revolver and plug one in the leg, making it fall out of the sky as it goes into shock. Boba Fett hears the shot, whirls around, and sees the world freeze a moment, and then the flying monkeys begin to dive bomb and take aggressive actions as I have forced the world to adjust nature with my aggressive and violent act towards it.

So we have the Tin Man, carrying Dorothy, The Hulk carrying the Cowardly Lion over one shoulder, a tallish asian woman in a gas mask, Brainiac 5 in his green skinned blond haired glory, and the Scarecrow running towards the Emerald City while the Joker and Boba Fett are taking pot shots at flying monkeys throwing green shit which causes struck locations to become monkey like.
Last edited by Prak on Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
the_taken
Knight-Baron

Post by the_taken »

Molochio wrote:@the_taken: I like this concept. Sounds similar to a, the end is the beginning, manner of story. Can you tell more of what became of this dwarf and how he came to such a state of being from the start?
I didn't know how to play D&D, being eight years old. Like, at all. The char gen rules were something along the lines of "You get 75 points to spend. Each level costs one point, stats cost >this< much, and gear costs >this< much."

I spent a bunch of points bringing up my attributes, then bough a magic sword, then put the rest of the point into my levels... I was a level 56 Dwarf Fighter when I started. I dunno why I picked dwarf. Then, because of the magic of the dungeon, the round after you die, you are resurrected with one less level.

First encounter was with an acidic blob. I drank it.

Next encounter was a bunch of Kobold Archers behind illusionary wall. I charged into the fireball area to slice them, and survived.

Then there where massive giant accountants. I got smashed, but I also stabbed one to death.

Then there was the old folks trapped in an illusion. I figured out that the way past them was up the chimney.

Then there was the massive room with the Chimera-Hydra-Demon. I jumped from a platform and sliced it's body off from it's heads. "It can grow new heads, but can it grow a new body?" It worked.

That's when the beholder came out and disintegrated me four times, before I got close enough to stab it's big ugly eye out... the party got upset because I removed the safest place to be from the battle. LOL! I kept stabbing it...

After that was some illusion crap, and I managed to disbelieve the dungeon somehow, which turned out to be a false disbelieving. So I was hallucinating that the dungeon was an illusion, but the impenetrable wall was real (it was actually an illusion).

Then there was the fight with this demon. I wrestled it, since my sword wasn't magic enough to hurt it. I couldn't hurt it, but I did manage to hold it still while the various other party members assaulted it with their magical powers.

At that point, someone got a hold of my character sheet, and saw my level... and face palmed.

For the final battle, I had several buff spells put on me. I didn't understand what all of them did, and don't remember any of them besides being 80ft tall and on fire... but for the final battle, I ate a demon leading cult. The surviving cultists started worshiping me from then on...

The other players sort of never invited me to play with them again, since I was eight and not an effective character otherwise.
Last edited by the_taken on Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I had a signature here once but I've since lost it.

My current project: http://tgdmb.com/viewtopic.php?t=56456
Molochio
Journeyman

Post by Molochio »

Quite the tale. Thank you for sharing.
"Come... Submit... Obey... I am your friend and master. Your thoughts are like water to me."
Molochio
Journeyman

Post by Molochio »

Double post.
Last edited by Molochio on Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Surgo
Duke

Post by Surgo »

I like the sound of your games, Koumei. More tales from the ice Ukraine please.
Datawolf
Journeyman

Post by Datawolf »

I ran a group of friends through the Night Below campaign in high school. There was a part where the (3rd level at that point) group came across a family of formorian giants who by all rights should have handed them their asses. The paladin bitch slapped them all into oblivion. I can't remember my exact words to the player but I think it was something along the lines of "Holy shit, dude, that was awesome."
Psychic Robot wrote:
Pathfinder is still a bad game
but is it a bad enough game to rescue the President?
Cynic
Prince

Post by Cynic »

Virgil and I once were players under a Monty Haul dm.

By the end of one session, Virgil and I had so much gold that we could possibly have built several mansions with the gold that was provided. So being good responsible civic minded characters, we chose to set up guard houses and safe houses every 10-15 miles across the world. The dm didn't understand what we were doing until we effectively told him that we had taken down all brigand activity around the world with our constant policing and also as a side-effect of the policing, we were now lords and masters of the world. He spluttered for several moments and then growled and gave up.

This was a funny and awesome moment because it was an end to an otherwise useless and unenjoyable game.
Ancient History wrote:We were working on Street Magic, and Frank asked me if a houngan had run over my dog.
MGuy
Prince

Post by MGuy »

I was a Gnome fighty type warrior who thoroughly enjoyed climbing mountains among other things. I had friend who was new to the game playing a fighter with big sword type thing. I am very serious about role playing my character whenever I'm on the player's side of the table and cut no corners when it comes to making sure my character stays consistent. One of my character's quirks was that he talked a lot about mountain climbing whenever he got bored or excited. This had been going on for a while (to hilarious effect) the entire campaign.

Now at one point we met with "another" one of the MC's penis extension characters. This one was a ridiculously high level bard. But being the player I am I felt the same about this character as I did any other one because I try to avoid meta gaming as much as possible. So while his penis extension started bragging about this or that my character got bored and started talking about mountain climbing, aloud in the background. His character turned to my gnome and said "Don't say another fucking word you insufferable annoying half person!". To which I, both in and out of character stared blankly at him, blinked twice and opened my mouth to speak. Before any words came out of my mouth and without even turning around to see me doing it my friend covered my mouth both in and out of character (I was seated behind him). We laughed for ten straight minutes at the perfect timing before we acknowledged that we had been playing together so long we've had begun to develop synergy.
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
If you want a game modded right you have to mod it yourself.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I played a game as a priest of cataclysm, who had a morningstar of random destructive effect. It came into play when I decided to smack a demigod's shield with it (long story).
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
tenuki
Master

Post by tenuki »

Epic chase scene:

I'm playing a somewhat cynical Dunadan ranger/rogue/minor mage in a late TA Middle-Earth campaign (Decipher's Middle-Earth RPG). The group, which includes a Prince of Gondor and a 2nd-degree niece of Theoden's, is on a diplomatic mission to Esgaroth (Lake Town, the city on the Long Lake that features in The Hobbit) to coordinate the war effort with the Northerners, the Dwarves of Erebor, and the Elves of Mirkwood. There is also a sham peace conference scheduled with Mordor in which we are supposed to participate. There has been a series of killings of envoys from Eastern peoples whom Mordor suspects of sympathizing with the Free Peoples. We identified the hit squad (led by a mercenary sorcerer from Dorwinion; great villain) and, together with a few doughty city guards, set to attack them just as they try to flee the town on a small ship.

The town guards hail the enemy vessel, telling them to surrender, but the bad guys won't have nothing of it. So we go alongside, throw grappling hooks and board.

The prince of Gondor (Morgonir of Morthond) is wearing chainmail and has a proper shield, so he goes first, closely followed by the light infantry (my ranger, armed with an Elven short sword, a buckler, and wearing light leather armor). The baddies loose a few arrows; the prince takes a minor hit in the leg, while the remaining shots thwack into his shield or sail past our heads.

Morgonir and Rosgalde (the Rohir lady) engage the archers, while Ciryantur (my character) spots the leader at the stern of the boat starting some kind of incantation. Ciryantur whips up an awe spell himself to dissuade the chaff from attacking and charges the mage at full tilt across the row benches (he's quite nimble for his 6'5"), yelling his war cry. The enemy mage gets his spell off in time, but I roll a massive crit on my resistance, so whatever it was, the spell encounters a brick wall. The GM decides that the mage gets a stricken look on his face and needs to save again vs. the awe spell. He shits his pants, screams something about Elvish demons and jumps overboard to make a swim for the city. Ciryantur ditches his buckler and takes to the water himself in pursuit.

The sorcerer is an excellent swimmer (being from the Sea of Rhun) and unarmored, so he gains a little on my ranger on the 500 yards or so to the city. When Ciryantur arrives at the docks, the bad guy is out of sight. 'Right', I say. 'He just came out of the water. I follow the puddles.' What comes next is a leisurely stroll on a sunny morning following a series of splotches across the warm wooden planks of Esgaroth, with innocent passersby giving me strange looks for my soaking wet condition. I keep tracking the guy for a few minutes and notice eventually that he seems to have gone through the back door of a warehouse in a dark alley.

Not wanting to confront a mage of unknown powers without knowing his exact location and after he's had time to prepare an ambush, I pause at the doorway, ostentatiously curse my bad luck and go on to skulk behind the next corner. Five minutes later I see the sorcerer coming out of a different door of the warehouse, heading for the main market. I follow - still can't attack; the townspeople don't know that I'm with the guard, and they take a very dim view to violence on crowded streets. On the other hand, the mage can't turn to the townspeople for help either - he's a foreigner and they would probably hold him (and me) until the guards arrive. However, I botch my tailing roll and the mage spots me. He bolts again. Shit.

Dispensing with all pretensions to secrecy, I give chase. We tear through the market kicking over the occasional stall or two until we arrive at another dock. Knowing by now that his best chance to lose me is in the water, the mage jumps into the lake again and swims underneath the city. I get into a half-loaded rowboat and tell the owner, 'You. Follow this guy. Quick.' The guy freezes, apparently terrified of the big, armed, wet, rough-looking stranger. So I push him overboard, chop the line and grab the oars myself.

This time I can catch up with sorcerer quite easily, and I tell him to surrender. However, the guy remains in panic mode and refuses, still jabbering stuff about demons. So I hit him a few times across the head and shoulders with an oar to soften him up, grab him by the scruff of the neck and haul him aboard. Mission accomplished.
Last edited by tenuki on Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the toys go winding down.
- Primus
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Well, there is a scene that stands out even years later from my long-running 3.0 campaign.

Somewhere around 8th The fighter-rouge had decided to declare himself "greatest swordsman in the land" and made a point of seeking out and taunting warriors from other lands to challenge them to duels (he'd often cheat, or the Diviner backing him up would cheat for him - but that was part of the fun) At some point during this game they realize that the elf queen is really behind a lot of villainy, so they decide she's gotta die. They raid her country estate - where she's got the crazy simulacrum experiments going on and an epic battle with the PCs and their various allies (players were running multiple characters) on one side and a bunch of elf guards, Simulacra, charmed and summoned monsters on the other side. But somehow the "honorable evil" martial cleric-type duelist rival heard about the raid - so he shows up in the middle of the session-long megafight, waits for the figher-rogue to be a little off from the main combat, then confronts the PC with a monologue about how such insults cannot be tolerated and we shall see who has the better blade - blah blah blah. The fighter mage quips back that this is hardly an "honorable" duel when another Bebilith might come around the corner any minute. The evil cleric takes the bait and burns a Blade Barrier to seal off their courtyard from the rest of the chaos "Very well, that should ensure we are not disturbed". The player then gets a twinkle in his eyes and yells "Ring of the Ram!", and one roll later, murder pinball == true.
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I happened to remember one of my favourite bits in a game yesterday on the way to run errands.

So, same GM as the previous Runequest games, still MRQ system. We had changed games again, and he'd decided to use a non-Glorantha setting, possibly because Glorantha games have me alternating between bitching about Glorantha, making stupid decisions because I have a hard time remembering how Glorantha works, or breaking the game over my knee because I'm just familiar enough with sympathetic and symbolic magic stuff that when there's blood on the ground from an amazingly powerful wizard who made magic a part of him on sitting on the ground not soaking into the soil, you damned well better know that shit is going in my arm.

So this time he had each of us right up the race/culture we wanted our character to be. The others just wrote up cultures, but I was confident enough in Runequest's race writeups that I went ahead and statted a race (two, actually, because I was really tempted to play an MLP pony, too).

The GM's wife was playing a fantasy Egyptian, one guy was playing a native american scout, and another guy was playing a Dwarf Fortress dwarf.

Basically the race I wrote up was a tielfing-esque race that was frequently touched by spirits such that they would display various traits like claws and horns and hooves and such. Basically I took a bunch of Glorantha Chaos traits and Planescape Tielfing traits and similar and made up a chart of stuff. They were basically built to be casters, and their culture was a mix of LaVeyan Satanism, animism, and Saints Row. Because I was replaying Saints Row the Third, and I couldn't resist making these quasi-demonic satanic libertarians function like an unholy combination of Spartans and gangs.

I wrote up a bit about them being able to call up demons to barter for spell knowledge, because one of the huge limiting factors in Runequest magic is access to spells as a murderhobo. This dealt with that nicely since it meant they could do it anywhere, and just needed an appropriately sized space and something to trade, with different kinds of spells being given by different kinds of demons for different kinds of payment.

We got in a fight, and the dwarf took some pretty heavy damage. We won, and we were managing it, but it was pretty serious. Healing magic isn't a given in Runequest. We badly needed healing magic, so I started asking questions- what kind of payment would be appropriate for [healing spell]? The GM said medical supplies and fresh fruit. So as we were in the wild, I went with the scout to look for food so I could look for fruit trees. And we found quite a bit. I looked over the trees, and asked more questions- If I pick all the fruit I can reach without a ladder I don't have, how much does it look like I'd get? What would be the market value of that much fruit? Unfortunately, that wouldn't get me enough.

So I thought. And I asked another question- If I took all the fruit I can pick, and all the fruit in one tree, how much would that be worth? It was, if I recall, more than enough.

So I drew the summoning circle around the damned tree, piled in some more fruit, and did the summoning.

I paid for a healing spell with a fucking apple tree. The imp was impressed at the ingenuity, as it sat on a chair made of toothpicks.

Laertes
Duke

Post by Laertes »

Quote from an Ars Magica session that literally just ended:

Pope Honorius XVI in conversation with St. Gregory of Hereford:
"St Gregory, please shut the fuck up! I know what God wants! Nobody in this room is in any doubt as to what God wants! But we have to deal with the real world."
Avoraciopoctules
Overlord

Post by Avoraciopoctules »

So I introduced a "secretly" evil NPC. His name is Bitt Rayus. It started with General Rayus offering sketchy aid to the PCs, and another ally warning them that "If you smell shit, it's probably Bitt." But we just called him General Betrayus after that.

The fun part was when he managed to betray literally every named character involved in the game in one session. The PCs were actually pretty happy about how things ended up, since they managed to figure out how he was planning to backstab them and just work around it. Battling an enemy fleet is a lot easier when their mech ace is being weakened by a virus and the flagship is blasting all the warships allegedly working for it from behind.

After the battle was over, there was a beautiful moment where he tried to recruit the PCs, and they just NOPED right back into shadowrunning rather than have him anywhere near them. Now every time we know he's involved in a battle, it basically goes "Oh man, they've got General Betrayus on their side. THE legendary survivor? Well, I'm marking that down as a definite advantage if we have to fight them."