[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy #54 - Legend of Zagor!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below meatgrinders do you prefer to play first?

FF9: Caverns of the Snow Witch
No votes
FF21: Trial of Champions
11%
FF26: Crypt of the Sorcerer
11%
FF46: Tower of Destruction
No votes
FF51: Island of the Undead
No votes
FF53: Spellbreaker
11%
FF54: Legend of Zagor
44%
FF58: Revenge of the Vampire
No votes
FF59: Curse of the Mummy
22%

Total votes: 9

ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

toss away !
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Insert coin.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

When you cast the Gold Piece into the well, the waters below seethe and boil, then all at once become placid again. The face of an old woman shines up at you, and the vision puts a thought into your mind: Beware the traitor-wizard Remstar, beyond the Heartfire. Then she is gone. Now will you explore the western side of the ruins if you haven't done so or make for the castle itself?
We already explored the other side, so time to head for the castle.....
The stone-built mass of Castle Argent stands before you! Its great, iron-shod gates lie at the end of the road, which then angle down into the earth so that any going into the castle must first enter by subterranean chambers. Above ground the walls of the castle are far too high for you to climb. You see that the castle has a central keep, with east and west wings, and on the side of the castle furthest from where you are stands the northernmost Great Tower, rising to a spire among swooping seagulls. At its highest point is a throne room where scores of kings have undergone the Ritual of the Sword before ruling Amarillia from this mighty fortress. Surely, you feel, that is where the monster, Zagor, is growing in evil might. There is no time to lose; you stride forward to the seemingly unguarded citadel. The massive iron gates, their brass plaques now defaced by crude, Orcish scrawl, are closed. If you can, and wish to, use an Open spell to enter, turn to 103. If you cannot use this spell, your only option is to try to force the doors, turn to 6.
Again, we're playing the one character with this option at the moment. Do we want to spend a Magic point to open the door here?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I guess if we don't spend the Magic point we'll take some Stamina damage due to fatigue. Perhaps risk a Skill penalty as well if we sprain something.

Unless it's a trap designed to hurt magic users that would prefer casting a spell to using brute force.

Argh. I don't know. Half a point to cast the Open spell.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Conserve magic, open it up the old fashioned way.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The gates are massive and also iron. Blue option it.
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

metagaming it, I don't think opening should be too hard. Then again, it could bring a fight where we might roll wrong, or a Luck test we'd better avoid…

First, eat, since I believe we're still at 12 Stamina ? Then, go for it and magic the door like a boss.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd magic these gates open. Also eat.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yes, one more vote for eating.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We stuff ourselves to bring our STAMINA up to 16 before casting our spell...
Opening the door requires a SKILL test with -2 modifier, failing which we take 2 STAMINA damage....also we'd have to test our LUCK to avoid the tripwire trap mentioned in the upcoming text, failing which we alert (and have to fight) 2 pairs of Great Orcs guards.
There is a tripwire trap behind the doors, but fortunately you see it and step over safely. You now stand in the great entrance hall of Castle Argent. Flanking the long walls here are pennants and shields of the provinces of Amarillia, but many have been defaced or broken and flung to the stony floor. Irregularly placed wall-torches burn dimly and provide a low light, enough to see by, but they also suggest there must be living creatures herein, and this spells danger. There is a door to either side of this entrance, and from behind one of them you can make out the grunts and guttural speech of Orcs! They will surely be simple guards, with no gold or items of value, so it's pointless wasting your strength on them. You edge forward as quietly as you can. Before you there is a small door to your left and one to your right, and a pair of larger doors directly ahead. Will you now open:

The right-hand door?
The left-hand door?
The large doors ahead?
Already we're back in familiar territory.....random left/right option!

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Jallarial
SKILL 10/10
STAMINA 16/24
LUCK 9/9
MAGIC: 6/7
Equipment: Staff, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, knife, Potion of Stamina (restores half your Initial STAMINA), rope, Plague Antidote, empty glass bottle (x2)
Provisions: 9 Meals
Gold: 3
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

go left
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Left is always right.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Right.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Right.
I assume you want to go right and not that you agree it's right that left is always right. :tongue:

Anyway, don't have access to the book today. The next update will come tomorrow.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

SGamerz wrote:
Darth Rabbitt wrote:Right.
I assume you want to go right and not that you agree it's right that left is always right. :tongue:
That would be correct. I was voting to go right.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You have entered a huge drill hall, a marching square with banners and replica weapons lining the walls - or such as remain after the rampagings of the servants of the Demon. A half-burned pile of smashed-up weaponry and tom pennants and banners lies at the foot of the far wall. Far above you, great oak-beams crisscross the ceiling. If you want to walk over and search through it, turn to 394, but beware, your footfalls echo loudly in this high-ceilinged chamber! Alternatively, you can leave and open the door opposite you or make for the double doors at the far end of the entrance hall.
The wordings seem a little awkward, as if asking if you want to search the ceilings....but yeah, obviously the question is whether to search the drill hall itself. Do we?
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

the text is elaborately warning us, so is it a way to scare us off from something useful or a way to troll us once we've blundered into a trap ?

Maybe we'll have to take a Luck test - is it worth it ?

Also, what could we find here potentially useful ? Obviously some weapon or armor. Is it worth it ? Or has something more important carelessly been dumped there ?

Jallarial is unsure :confused: Say half a vote for leaving and moving directly onward, not going right.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Vote to search, there's probably something useful either here or behind the opposite door.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I'm inclined to search, after springing the inevitable trap.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Let's see what the door on the other side looks like, and then possibly come back here.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

^ I can agree with that plan, if the book gives us the option to revisit this room.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thirding SlyJohnny's plan.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You find yourself in a barracks complex, where many of Castle Argent's brave defenders were once stationed before they and King Kraal fell, victims of the terrifying Bone Demon and his War Dragons. The air here is musty, the floor is covered in dust, and the area appears long deserted. If you want to make a prolonged search, turn to 53. If you prefer to leave and open the door opposite, not having done so before, turn to 318. If you want to leave and open the double doors at the far end of the entrance hall, turn to 376.
Very similar options here.....except it says here that we can only try the opposite room if we haven't done so before, so that means we can go back to the drill hall (the text says "open" and not "search", which means the option should be closed even if we hadn't searched that room before).

Do we search the barracks now?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd search.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Search.