[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy #54 - Legend of Zagor!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below meatgrinders do you prefer to play first?

FF9: Caverns of the Snow Witch
No votes
FF21: Trial of Champions
11%
FF26: Crypt of the Sorcerer
11%
FF46: Tower of Destruction
No votes
FF51: Island of the Undead
No votes
FF53: Spellbreaker
11%
FF54: Legend of Zagor
44%
FF58: Revenge of the Vampire
No votes
FF59: Curse of the Mummy
22%

Total votes: 9

Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Yeah, just hit it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

COMBAT LOG:
Fog Wyvern 20, Jallarial 19. Jallarial is at 19.
FW 16, Jallarial 17. FW is at 14.
FW 14, Jallarial 17. FW is at 12.
FW 16, Jallarial 15. Jallarial is at 17.
FW 22, Jallarial 14. Jallarial is at 15.
FW 15, Jallarial 19. FW is at 10.
FW 17, Jallarial 17. Tie.
FW 19, Jallarial 21. FW is at 8.
FW 16, Jallarial 13. Jallarial is at 13.
FW 14, Jallarial 20. FW is at 6.
FW 15, Jallarial 16. FW is at 4.
FW 18, Jallarial 18. Tie.
FW 19, Jallarial 22. FW is at 2.
FW 16, Jallarial 18. FW is killed.
We get healed back to full STAMINA after beating heroically the wyvern to death with our staff.
After many days at sea your vessel is within five kilometres of Tower Island itself. Even from that distance you can see the great towered mass of Castle Argent rising into the leaden skies just beyond the shoreline. The galley can go no further in the shallow bay, so you thank the crew who brought you here and take your belongings into the stout rowing boat being lowered for you. Carannus shakes your hand firmly and says, 'We head for the River Geld and, hopefully, a greeting from my own people - those few who remain in the lands upstream. We will come back for you when the moon is new, hoping for your safe return - and news of a triumph. If you are not waiting,' he pauses, 'we will come once more, when the moon is new over the world. All our hopes ride with you.' You leave and row for the shore; turn to 75.
You stand on the shoreline of Tower Island. Before you is a long, straight stone road leading up to the gates of Castle Argent itself, but on either side of that road are many ruined buildings, razed by Orcs and Zombies in the war against the Bone Demon. In the shattered ruins, little or nothing of any value or use to you is likely to be left after the destruction here. There may be some remnants of the Demon's armies here, scrounging what they can. However, if you want to explore the ruins, you may do so. Will you now:

Explore ruins to the west?
Explore ruins to the east?
Head straight for Castle Argent
Where do we go first?
Last edited by SGamerz on Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

There's an error in the combat log, we began at 21 (3 Stamina lost for wyvern bad breath )

Otherwise, since we have been going to the SW, West is right and East is left. So my vote is, explore Eastern ruins and hope the book works that way.
Last edited by ashimbabbar on Fri Apr 08, 2016 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I doubt that we will find anything of use here. But I'm fine to go along with whatever you guys decide.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

No, always go right. This is a Livingstone book.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:No, always go right. This is a Livingstone book.
Actually, it was written entirely by Carl Sargent. But you may be right as far choices go - he may have integrated the Livingstone tropes.

I'll stick with east though, and may the gods smile on us.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

ashimbabbar wrote:There's an error in the combat log, we began at 21 (3 Stamina lost for wyvern bad breath )

Otherwise, since we have been going to the SW, West is right and East is left. So my vote is, explore Eastern ruins and hope the book works that way.
Oops, you're right.

Fortunately, there was still enough left for us to win, so our STAMINA was still back to full.

We're tied with where to go at the moment...
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Go West, life is peaceful there
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You spend some hours sifting through the least destroyed homes, so you must eat a meal. You find a 10-metre length of rope and an empty glass bottle. You also find some gold; roll one dice to discover the number of Cold Pieces you find hidden in a leather purse that has been stuffed into a hole in a wall. However, you also run into a prowling group of Orcs as you make your way back to the main road. Three of them jump out from behind a crumbling stone wall and, while their armour is ragged, their axes look sharp enough. To your dismay, you observe that these are Great Orcs - and, worse still, one of them is a mutant with exceptionally powerful limbs and shoulders. You must fight them all together as they encircle you!

First GREAT ORC SKILL 7 STAMINA 6
Second GREAT ORC SKILL 7 STAMINA 6
MUTANT ORC 8 STAMINA 9

If you win, the Orcs have no treasure and you cannot eat the rats they have in their food pouches! If you want to search the ruins on the other side of town, not having already done so, turn to 351. If you want to make straight for Castle Argent, turn to 192.
Damn, we found items that we already bought! At lest we can get back the gold we spent on those....

I'm not sure if we'd benefit from carrying items of the same kind in this book....you guys think we should take at least the extra empty bottle. At least it won't hurt.....

I'll take that unless there's objections.

Die roll for amount of gold found: 4!

It is mentioned that the PC (no matter which character) doesn't eat rats, so I guess that means dwarfs in Amarillia have an entirely different diet from dwarfs in Discworld.....

Once again, the presence of spells give us extra options, and since we're in a 3-on-1 fight, do you guys want to try a spell before we proceed?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Jallarial
SKILL 10/10
STAMINA 24/24
LUCK 9/9
MAGIC: 7/7
Equipment: Staff, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, knife, Potion of Stamina (restores half your Initial STAMINA), rope, Plague Antidote, empty glass bottle (x2)
Provisions: 11 Meals
Gold: 4
Last edited by SGamerz on Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

How are you interpreting the loss of MP for spells life Fireball that fail because we lose the combat round? Do we still lose the MP?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Mr Shine wrote:How are you interpreting the loss of MP for spells life Fireball that fail because we lose the combat round? Do we still lose the MP?
I think it makes sense that we should lose the MP as long as we try to cast a spell, even if it doesn't work.
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

SGamerz wrote:
Mr Shine wrote:How are you interpreting the loss of MP for spells life Fireball that fail because we lose the combat round? Do we still lose the MP?
I think it makes sense that we should lose the MP as long as we try to cast a spell, even if it doesn't work.
Seconded.

Damn, I bet every other encounter will leave us another empty bottle. Maybe we can sell them in the end and recoup our expenses.
Anyway, take the whole loot when we have successfully pacified the local fauna.

I don't think we should waste MPs since we have 2 Skill points over the ablest enemy, if by mischance they wound us 4 times or more it'll be time to use either luckses or magickses.
However, if the majority decides to use spells, I'll go for a Skill spell ( +1 Skill point for 1MP )
Last edited by ashimbabbar on Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Yeah, let's hold off on magic for now.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Thirded. Also agreed on using a SKILL spell if things go sour.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Just fight. Mutant Orc first; more time with 3 opponents, but gets us a +3 modifier on all remaining opponents once dropped
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Sure, fight them.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sirocco wrote:Thirded. Also agreed on using a SKILL spell if things go sour.
We can't cast Skill spell during combat, just before.

Anyway, majority decision is to just fight. For multiple-opponent combats in this book, we only need to roll once for our Attack Strength and compare it with all of theirs (in some books we have to roll against each opponent).

Targeting the mutant first.....

COMBAT LOG:
Great Orc#1 13, Great Orc#2 15, Mutant Orc 12, Jallarial 16. Mutant Orc is at 7.
GO1 14, GO2 15, MO 11, Jallarial 18. MO is at 5.
GO1 18, GO2 19, MO 14, Jallarial 15. MO is at 3. Jallarial is at 20.
GO1 14, GO2 19, MO 15, Jallarial 18. MO is at 1. Jallarial is at 18.
GO1 15, GO2 15, MO 13, Jallarial 17. MO is killed.
GO1 16, GO2 15, Jallarial 17. GO1 is at 4.
GO1 16, GO2 11, Jallarial 15. Jallarial is at 16.
GO1 15, GO2 12, Jallarial 12. Jallarial is at 14.
GO1 16, GO2 14, Jallarial 17. GO1 is at 2.
GO1 12, GO2 14, Jallarial 16. GO1 is killed.
GO2 14, Jallarial 12. Jallarial is at 12.
GO2 14, Jallarial 17. GO2 is at 4.
GO2 15, Jallarial 17. GO2 is at 2.
GO2 13, Jallarial 16. GO2 is killed.
The numbers game actually played a pretty big role. We won, but our STAMINA is down by half.

Do we want to explore the ruins on the other side now (east), or head for the castle now?
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

Ouch.

Eat, then go east, young woman.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

East.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

If we have to eat a meal, do we get the +4 STAMINA bonus?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Depends on the book, methinks.

Anyhow, go east.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sirocco wrote:If we have to eat a meal, do we get the +4 STAMINA bonus?
Yes, and no. In such situations, we lose 2 STAMINA f we don't have any meals.

This rule has been in quite a number of other FF books (most prevalently Martin, who's suspected to be the writer of this one).
There is neither treasure nor anything else of use to you among the razed and looted buildings on the east side of town. You must eat a meal during the time you spend here. However, on your way back to the main road you stumble across a small stone well, which has no buckets beside it and no mechanism for drawing up water. Then you remember dimly that there was said to be a Well of Visions outside Castle Argent; is this small, inconspicuous well that very one? If you want to pitch a Gold Piece into it to find out, turn to 240. Alternatively, you can explore the western side of the ruins if you haven't done so, or make for the castle itself.
Not even a wishing well? Oh well.....

Do we want to drop a gold piece? We just picked some up earlier.

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Jallarial
SKILL 10/10
STAMINA 12/24
LUCK 9/9
MAGIC: 7/7
Equipment: Staff, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, knife, Potion of Stamina (restores half your Initial STAMINA), rope, Plague Antidote, empty glass bottle (x2)
Provisions: 10 Meals
Gold: 4
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

May as well toss a coin and see.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Toss a coin.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron