[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy #54 - Legend of Zagor!

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Which of the below meatgrinders do you prefer to play first?

FF9: Caverns of the Snow Witch
No votes
FF21: Trial of Champions
11%
FF26: Crypt of the Sorcerer
11%
FF46: Tower of Destruction
No votes
FF51: Island of the Undead
No votes
FF53: Spellbreaker
11%
FF54: Legend of Zagor
44%
FF58: Revenge of the Vampire
No votes
FF59: Curse of the Mummy
22%

Total votes: 9

Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Try to earn money
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

Yaztromo's speech seems to implies Castle Argent grows more demonic as time goes; so shop fast, leave young and make Zagor an incinerated corpse :viking:
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Guess some more cash wouldn't hurt.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I can't imagine we'll lose for trying to make a quick buck. Attempt a fundraiser.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Agreed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You have a few hours before your ship sets sail on the next tide. You may be able to acquire some gold by putting your hands to use, helping out with laboring work at the docks or you could try gambling in a tavern. If neither prospect appeals, will you now:

Buy some equipment?
Consult one of the king's sages?
Wait for the ship to take you to Tower Island?
Do we want to work for money, or gamble for them? (Have to say, neither sounds particularly fitting for a lady wizard. Can't we just tell fortunes? All we have to do is make up some ambiguous rhymes!)
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Neiher really appeals, let's just buy stuff with what we've got
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Buy!
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Eh, life is short. Gamble away!
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

In the markets and shops of the peaceable town of Sanctuary you can buy many things, but your most likely purchases may well be:

Chain mail armour - 7 Gold Pieces
Longbow and arrows - 4 Gold Pieces
Crossbow and arrows - 4 Gold Pieces
Potion of Stamina - 7 Gold Pieces
Magic Ring - 5 Gold Pieces
Vial of Plague Antidote - 6 Gold Pieces
Empty glass bottle - 1 Gold Piece
Rope (10 metres long) - 1 Gold Piece
Flask of herbal liqueur - 3 Gold Pieces
Potion of Fire Resistance - 5 Gold Pieces

If you wear chain mail armour this does not add to your Attack Strength during combats, but it does provide some protection against certain hazards you may encounter during your adventures. With either type of bow, you will be instructed when you can use it in later paragraphs. The Potion of Stamina, when drunk, allows you to regain STAMINA points equal to one-half of your Initial score (round fractions up). The Magic Ring stores 1 Magic Point. A vial of Plague Antidote will cure one (and only one!) form of plague which you may be unfortunate enough to pick up during your exploration of dire Castle Argent, restoring all losses from Initial (but not Current!) STAMINA due to the effects of plague. The flask of herbal liqueur is refreshing and invigorating: when you drink it, you regain 4 STAMINA points. The Potion of Stamina, the liqueur and the Potion of Fire Resistance can be drunk al-any lime, except during a combat. Once drunk, the effects of the latter last for the duration of the next combat in which you are attacked by fire (such as Dragon breath or a Fireball spell); during this time, you can halve the STAMINA loss such attacks do to you (rounding fractions up). When you have decided what to buy, amend your Adventure Sheet accordingly. Now, you can consult the king's sages if you want to, try to earn some extra gold if you haven't tried this before, or leave Sanctuary by ship.
Jallarial starts with the maximum 20 Gold. Note that she can't benefit from the chainmail or either of the bows, so that should help shorten our shopping list.

What do we buy?
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Potion of Stamina
Magic Ring
Rope
Empty bottle. (on the basis it seems so pointless, we're bound to come across a "do you have a spare bottle...?" question

leaving us 1 GP spare.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I think MrShine's list leaves us with 20 - (7 + 5 + 1 + 1) = 6gp spare, so I propose we buy a vial of Plague Antidote as well.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Plus 5 we gave to the sage earlier.
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

Herbal liqueur is worthless with our stats, so I suggest

- Potion of Stamina
- Plague Antidote
- Empty Bottle
- Rope

( maybe the rope will only spare us a Skill test we'd probably succeed, but it doesn't hurt to be sure )
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I prefer ashimbabbar's plan.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Well, between the Plague Antidote and the Magic Ring, I prefer the former as well.

ETA: @MrShine, good point; I had forgotten about that.
Last edited by Sirocco on Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We spend all our remaining goal for the Potion of Stamina, Plague Antidote, rope and empty bottle.
The Glory of Amarillia is a fully armed war-galley, and to your amazement the captain is a Barrabang Centaur! Centaurs are hardly renowned for seamanship, but the magical iron shoes on the Centaur's feet allow him to walk on water, as you discover when he literally walks aboard after you.

'There is a fair northerly wind,' Captain Carannus says as he sniffs at the bitterly cold air. 'We should get to the end of the Icecap Islands without fog to worry about. Only icebergs and whatever monsters of the deep may wait in store, eh?'

The voyage bears out his optimism. The great vessel skirts the warm Stream of Zephyrs and, after some days, tums south-west past the coast of the Frozen Lands. But on the margins of the warm sea fronts, fogs begin to spring up as you head for Tower Island itself. You just keep your fingers crossed and hope that no predator of the deep are sensing the great ship above them. If you want to spend a point of LUCK Lo avoid even the chance of such an encounter, turn to 44. Otherwise, turn to 98.
"Centaur ship captain who walks on water" has to be one of the coolest random flavor character in this series.

Do we want to spend a LUCK here?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Jallarial
SKILL 10/10
STAMINA 24/24
LUCK 9/9
MAGIC: 7/7
Equipment: Staff, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, knife, Potion of Stamina (restores half your Initial STAMINA), rope, Plague Antidote, empty glass bottle
Provisions: 12 Meals
Gold: 0
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

With 12 provisions in stock, I don't think we fear a random encounter. Save the LUCK and brave the dangers of the sea.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, risk random encounters.
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

meet random denizen.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Here's your not-so-random encounter!
Shortly after dawn, when you are stretching your legs on the deck, there is a sudden churning of the seas on the starboard side of the vessel. You draw your weapon but, just as you are looking over the side of the ship, the true danger swoops down from the foggy skies above. A great white reptile, many metres long, with ragged-edged, horny claws, a great mouth and a spiny, barbed tail is heading straight for you. You are surprised, and the monster's claws knock you down; deduct 3 points from your STAMINA. Now you must fight for your life!

FOG WYVERN SKILL 10 STAMINA 16

If you win, the captain and crew help you to your feet and bring food and healing draughts of a herbal brew to you (restore your STAMINA to its Initial level) as other men begin the work of getting the huge reptile's carcass off the deck. Carannus looks unhappily at the monster. 'That's not a natural monster.' he say. 'I know these Wyverns, and that tail's malformed. Look at that crooked claw and the way the bones of the spine protrude through its back. There's some bad magic at work here.' The Centaur's eyes harden and he turns lo help his men throw the carcass into the sea.
Same SKILL as us (but at least we get healed if we win)! As the wizard we have access to spells that other PCs don't yet have. Do we want to try something that makes the fight easier, or just do a straight combat?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Let's not waste our precious, precious magic points. We might be able to beat it with our superior stamina, we can use a Luck if it seems dicey. We get a full heal if we win anyway.
ashimbabbar
Journeyman

Post by ashimbabbar »

we need to hit it 8 times and it needs to hit us 11 times, we have something of a buffer although I'd wish for a bigger one.

Let's fight wthout magic but use Luck only if we fall to 3 Stamina ( since the idea of taking this fight was to spare Luck :mrgreen: )
Last edited by ashimbabbar on Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If we didn't get the free heal (or I didn't know we did) I'd have recommended casting a spell but as is just we should just use the wizardly arts of face-stabbing.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah, since we're getting fully healed after combat, there's no point in wasting LUCK, unless it is to save our life.