Let's play FF#44 Legend of the Shadow Warriors.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Just to be contrary I'll say Left. :tongue:
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I actually would have gone straight, but since this seems to be a purely random choice I'm happy to go with whichever direction that has the most votes.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Your road brings you to a small courtyard filled with fruit and vegetable stalls. The only way not barred by city guards is to take a sharp left up a narrow street, Before going round this turning, you may try and delay your pursuers by tipping over some of the stalls. If you want to do this... If you would rather keep on running....

However, if you would like to stop and give yourself up before things get too serious,..
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Tip the stalls. It's a time honoured tradition.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Just fruits and vegetables? Oh well, then we don't have to worry about pissing off the stallholders and miss out on any important loot that they may sell! Tip 'em over!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Spoopy Cojones has no respect for stalls that don't sell phat lewt. Tip them.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Spoopy does his best Buster Keaton impression.
Some of the barrows can be flipped over with a nudge of the shoulder, other stalls are large affairs requiring a hefty shove. Whatever the method, the result is the same, chaos. The guards get caught up in a tangle of vegetables and angry traders, hurling abuse in their distinctive accent. Smiling, you grab some food (add two meals' worth of Provisions to your Adventure Sheet) and are about lo head up the narrow street when you trip over a pile of spilt mangoes. Test your Skill. If you succeed, you may continue on your way but if you fail, you stumble and are captured by the guards
Getting captured here goes to the same reference as submitting straight away. Do you want to burn a charge from the ring to turn the 11/12 chance of passing into a certainty?
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Nah, I think we're good (famous last words).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Yeah, save the ring.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

We roll an 8
With the guards in hot pursuit, you rush up the lane but pause when you notice a manhole in the middle of the roadway. Suddenly it occurs to you: possibly you could lose the guards by sneaking down into the sewers. You are considering what to do when a fist-sjzed metal ball bounces in front of you then comes to a halt on the cobbles. It came from somewhere to your right. You look in that direction and see a mysterious figure, clad head to fool in black robes, scurrying away up a narrow alley between two biddings. Will you pick up the metal sphere, leave it and go down into the sewers or ignore both options and keep on running up the street?
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I'm a little nervous that this could be some explosive weapon meant to blow us up, in which case the smart I to ignore it, but the temptation of possible useful loot is too much for me to resist.

Half a vote to pick up the sphere.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

That's totally gonna be a bomb. The question is whether or not it's an active one. Even if it's not it's going to go off picking it up is going to slow us down and tipping over the stand didn't actually buy us any extra time.

Let's jump into the sewer.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Yeah, let's not get blown up. Into the sewers we go.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

You lift the circular lid and climb down a set of rungs into the dark sewers- though no guards follow, you hurry on, your path running alongside a stomach turning river of sewage. Soon, however, you are hopelessly lost in the meandering underground complex and cannot find a way back up to ground level. Things get even worse when you hear an awful moan arise from the depths of the sludge. It is with a sense of despair that your worst fears are confirmed for lifting high out of the water to tower above you is a dread Slygore. It is said that these creatures are unwittingly created by the city's many alchemists and sorcerers who, despite public protests, are forever polluting the city sewers with the potent by-products of their esoteric experiments. Such wastes react with the effluent to form Slygore, shambling mounds of murderous filth. Will you
  • Attack it?
  • Look in your pack for something which
    may defeat it?
  • Flee from it?
Last edited by Mr Shine on Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I suppose the real question is whether or not these things sleep or catch fire easily. I see the latter as possible and the former as very unlikely.

Just attack the damn thing.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We should have picked u that bomb and lobbed it at this thing, right? :tongue:

I say check for plot coupon. Don't think there'll be much harm.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I say we try a firecracker if it's applicable.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

If you have a Firecracker...√
If you have a skin of oil (the lantern is not needed)...
If you have both, you may choose either.) If you have
neither, you will have to flee.

You hurl the Fire-cracker down on to the stone floor- In the confining darkness of the sewer, the flash is all the more blinding, the explosion ali the more deafening. The Slygore moans with fear and drops into the water, splashing its sewage all over you. Ears ringing and half-blind, you flee before the creature can recover its unearthly composure. Eventually you find a ladder leading back up to the surface. You scramble out of the sewers and are pleased to see that Quinsberry's men have apparently given up the chase. If you still want to visit the east side of the market...√, if you want to visit the west side... You may not return to an area you have already visited. When you have finished any excursions, you must leave the city.

It does not take you long to find the things which may be of use to you on your adventure. Except for the battle axe and the armour you may use items only when instructed to do so by the text. Finally unless otherwise stated you may only buy 1 of each item.

Battle axe (3GP): Each time you hit your opponent in battle you cause it to lose 4 STAMINA points, (6 points if you Test Your Luck and are Lucky, 2 if Unlucky) However because of the axe's weight you have to suffer a penalty, deduct 1 from your Attack Strength rolls when you use it.

Calthrops (1GP): These spiked metal balls are thrown to the ground to deter pursuit. You may buy any number of sets.

Chainmail armour (3GP): Each time you are hit in combat you lose only 1 STAMINA point (0 points if you Test Your Luck and are Lucky, 2 if Unlucky). However due to its bulk you must add 1 point every time you are instructed to Test Your Skill. It only protects you in battle and is useless after receiving 10 hits.

Lantern and oil (1 GP for lantern and one skin of oil, 1GP for each additional skin): Useful in dark places, each use of the lantern uses 1 skin of oil.

Manacles (2GP): These chains can bind most humanoid creatures.

Metal Rot (4GP): This alchemical solution dissolves most known metals but leaves flesh unharmed. You may buy any number of vials.

Rope and grapple (4GP): About 20 metres of thin lightweight rope with a small metal hook affixed to one end.
What would you like to buy? Please also indicate if you want to leave by the East Gate or the South Gate, (the East Gate is nearer).

I find it odd that you can't buy food anywhere on this side of the market, given that despite eating a few meals' ability to revive someone back from the brink of death to full health, they are still inherently non-magical and common and there should be food traders all over the place.
Spoopy Cojones, Gallantarian ex-captain

SK 10/10 ST 19/19 LU 11/12
Sword
11 Gold Pieces
Loaded Die
Chameleon Cloak
1 fire cracker
4 Provisions
Mirror
Ring of Agility (3 charges)
Sleeping Draught
Last edited by Mr Shine on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

I vote for:

Calthrops (1),
Metal Rot,
Rope and grapple,
Lantern and oil (1).

No preference on exit; half a vote for the south gate in case we run into anything interesting on our way there, since it's farther away.
Last edited by Sirocco on Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So the battleaxe is the same as the silver-tipped mace from Beneath Nightmare Castle. It's still not a good tradeoff.
If the armor didn't break it'd probably be worth it. As is it isn't.
Sirocco's plan is probably the best, but I'd prefer to head east in case the guards come back with a vengeance.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I think we'll need an extra flask of oil more than the caltrops, but eh, I'll go with that plan.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The caltrops sound like they'll win us one encounter super hard or be absolutely useless. The second flask of oil will definitely be of some use, although I suspect we'll only -need- one. So I could be convinced to take the oil instead.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

If we really use up a flask every time we ever go somewhere dark, though? I dunno, it might be that we find more and one for now is perfectly sufficient. I'm good either way!
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

We can always take one calthrops and two flasks of oil.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Sirocco wrote:We can always take one calthrops and two flasks of oil.
OK judging by other responses this seems to keep almost everyone happy.

Buying

Calthrops (1),
Metal Rot,
Rope and grapple,
Lantern and oil (1)
Extra Oil skin

for all our money.

And at 1 vs 0.5 we take the East Gate.
Mere streets away from the huge East Gate, you come upon a rarity on the streets of Royal Lendle, a rubbish cart standing unattended, A few citizens are wealthy and cultured enough not to throw their litter out of the window; instead, they save it for the Lendle rubbish collectors who take it to a large quarry just beyond the city wall. Gate Wardens always stand watch over the four city gales as a matter of course, but now they could also be on the lookout for you. Therefore, you reckon it may be a good idea to sneak aboard the rubbish cart and hide among all the garbage That way, you might just be able to slip through the gate unseen.

lf you decide to climb aboard the cart..., but if you would rather approach the East Gale in a more noble manner, on foot...
Spoopy Cojones, Gallantarian ex-captain

SK 10/10 ST 19/19 LU 11/12
Sword
Loaded Die
Chameleon Cloak
1 fire cracker
4 Provisions
Mirror
Ring of Agility (3 charges)
Sleeping Draught
Calthrops (1),
Metal Rot,