Let's play FF#44 Legend of the Shadow Warriors.

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Test your Luck. If you are Lucky...

'What! I? A cheat? How dare you!' Despite the pain caused by your tight grip on his puny wrist, Bartolph is still able to put on a show of offended outrage that seems a little too well practised As far as the onlookers can tell, you lost fair and square. When you pick up the die and roll 1 seven times in a row, however, they make it quite clear they like cheats even less than they like bad losers. They grab Bartolph and prepare to drag him into the back yard. Before the rogue disappears altogether, you search him for any gold which you have already lost to him; in addition you take 6 GP belonging to him. Satisfied that justice is about to be done you close your ears to Bartolph's whining and leave the tavern. taking his die n with you. Add the Gold Pieces and the Loaded Die to your Adventure Sheet

Leaving the tavern behind, you walk towards the sprawling market area in the centre of the city. Ironically, the market stands next to Royal Lendle's poorest district, a warren of dilapidated buildings housing beggars and thieves. All in all, it is a sad and dangerous place The sort of things you want would normally cost you a small fortune; luckily, you have a good many merchant friends, who will sell you their wares for next to nothing. The eastern side of the market is where you will find all the hardware you may need: weapons/basic equipment and so on. On the Western side, more unusual items are to be found Which side will you visit first, the eastern or the western?
Spoopy Cojones, Gallantarian ex-captain

SK 10/10 ST 19/19 LU 11/12
Sword
26 Gold Pieces
Loaded Die
Last edited by Mr Shine on Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

West for the weird shit!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

West side.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

West, why not.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

On the west side of town, you spot five characters skulking in an alleyway. They are the Shadow Warriors! They attack you all at once.

SW#1 SK 4 ST 2
SW#2 SK 4 ST 2
SW #3 SK 4 ST 2
SW #4 SK 4 ST 2
SW #5 SK4 ST2

Round 1:
Spoopy 22, SW#1 10, SW#1 is killed
Spoopy 20, SW#2 12, Spoopy blocks
Spoopy 16, SW#3 11, Spoopy blocks
Spoopy 18, SW#4 13, Spoopy blocks
Spoopy 13, SW#5 10, Spoopy blocks
Round 2:
Spoopy 16, SW#2 12, SW#2 is killed
Spoopy 18, SW#3 12, Spoopy blocks
Spoopy 16, SW#4 11, Spoopy blocks
Spoopy 20, SW#5 12, Spoopy blocks
Round 3:
Spoopy 22, SW#3 10, SW#3 is killed
Spoopy 20, SW#4 12, Spoopy blocks
Spoopy 16, SW#5 11, Spoopy blocks
Round 4:
Spoopy 16, SW#4 9, SW#4 is killed
Spoopy 17, SW#5 10, Spoopy blocks
Round 5
Spoopy 14, SW#5 9, SW#5 is killed

Congratulations, you beat Legend of the Shadow Warriors!!!!!!
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Nice :ecstatic:
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Sorry, wrong reference :roll:*
It does not take you long to find the things which may be of use to you on your adventure. Except for provisions and the Amulet of Luck (which may be used at any time outside of battle) and the Ring of Agility (which may be used whenever you Test Your Skill you may use items only when instructed to do so by the text. Finally unless otherwise stated you may only buy 1 of each item.

Amulet of luck (4GP): You may use this talisman once only, after which it is useless. Using it restores your LUCK to its Initial level

Chameleon Cloak (3GP): Woven by elven craftsmen, this fine cape takes on the hue of any natural background. It is not effective against man made backgrounds such as brick walls and works best during the hours of darkness.

Fire crackers (1GP each) Thrown at a hard surface, these tiny magical devices explode with a loud noise and a blinding flash of light. Though harmless they may frighten or shock opponents. You may buy any number of them.

Mirror (1GP) Although seemingly useless, mirrors have proved useful time and again in the course of your many adventures.

Provisions (1GP each) Standard FF provisions. (+4ST when consumed). You may buy any number of meals

Ring of Agility (4GP) When you are told to Test Your Skill you may draw on the power of the ring. If you do, deduct 2 from the roll. You must decide beforehand, and it has 3 charges.

Sleeping Draught. (3GP) One vial of this will knock even a Manticore out for days. You may buy any number of vials.

If you have not yet visited the eastern side of the
market...√

If you have....
Unlike most other FF books there is no hard limit to the number of provisions you can carry. What would you like to buy?

*For anybody viewing this later and confused, check the date stamp.
Last edited by Mr Shine on Fri Apr 01, 2016 1:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Shopping list (we are rich!):
- Amulet of Luck
- Chameleon Cloak
- a couple of fire crackers
- a couple of Provisions (open to buying more if you guys want.)
- Mirror
- Ring of Agility
- ... how much is the Sleeping Draught? I vote we buy one either way, just in case.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Sleeping Draught is 3GP sorry.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Oh, I missed that we didn't get the usual food and potion. Hmm.

Sirocco's list looks good, but I'd skip the Ring of Agility so we have a few coins left for the eastern market.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Oh, I missed that we didn't get the usual food and potion. Hmm.

Sirocco's list looks good, but I'd skip the Ring of Agility so we have a few coins left for the eastern market.
By the mid-40s book titles I think the starting potion was a vanishing rarity, gone the way of the the "one true path which even minimum stats characters should be able to prevail at"
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Seeing as we're full of luck and at mid-to-high skill only, I'd prefer to forgo the Amulet of Luck over the Ring.

I agree with the rest of the list
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

MisterDee wrote:Seeing as we're full of luck and at mid-to-high skill only, I'd prefer to forgo the Amulet of Luck over the Ring.

I agree with the rest of the list
I'd go with this.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Thirding MisterDee's plan.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Just to confirm, by "a couple" you're meaning "exactly 2" for bothe firecrackers and provisions?
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

It's what I assumed too, but we might need Sirocco's confirmation (or a couple of the others voicing their agreement as majority).
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Same.
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Sorry for the delay, I was on the road. Yes, by "a couple", I meant two. Unless you guys want more.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

So by consensus we're buying
Chameleon Cloak
2 fire crackers
2 Provisions
Mirror
Ring of Agility
Sleeping Draught

for 15 GP

If you allowed yourself to be diverted and gambled with Bartolph in the First Step tavern...

Turning away from an annoying shyster who's trying to sell you a mongoose paperweight made of plaster, you find your way blocked by six men dressed in heavy armour; they are city guards. Once you see the gnarled old weasel who is leading them, you understand what all this is about: it is Quinsberry Woad, Gallantaria's chief tax collector with his personal retinue. Woad produces a scroll from the depths of his over-large robes and says, 'Captain, I am hereby authorized to serve you with this Bill of Taxes. which must be paid forthwith. In lieu of satisfactory fiscal settlement, I have an open warrant for your arrest.' He presents you with the scroll and continues, 'The original balance, charged at compound interest| half-yearly and at a fixed annual percentage rate for five years, comes to 568 Gold Pieces precisely. Do you have the money?' You clearly have not got and cannot afford to pay such a vast sum; now you regret ever returning to the capital. But what will you do? You could plead poverty and let the guards arrest you, try to bribe Quinsberry Woad or tum on your heels and make a run for it.
Spoopy Cojones, Gallantarian ex-captain

SK 10/10 ST 19/19 LU 11/12
Sword
11 Gold Pieces
Loaded Die
Chameleon Cloak
2 fire crackers
2 Provisions
Mirror
Ring of Agility
Sleeping Draught
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Cheezit!
Sirocco
Knight-Baron

Post by Sirocco »

Give the finger to The Man and make a run for it.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Yeah, GTFO. We can't afford a bribe or a Game Over.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

You give Quinsberry a shove so that he totters back into his guards, and they all fall over in an untidy heap. The troops raise the alarm and the taxman squawks with rage; never has he been so humiliated in his entire life. Rather than restrain you, however, the bystanders just stand there, laughing loud and long at the pompous official's plight. Before the guards can regain their feet, you flee. A few metres ahead, you come to a junction. Will you go left, right or straight ahead?
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Blind choice!

Go right.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Right!