[LP] Blood Valley: The Quarry

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

The Archveult is asking you for location codes. He is searching... somewhere.
(Ka-riim the assassin is not lurking near the monastery.)
(You leave tracks.)

There is no cover here near the river below the tarn. The river flows strongly to the south towards the Great Fen. To the north you can see tamed farmland.

• Cross the river (if you are the barbarian or the thief)?
• Flee north? √
I assume nobody wants to go back (and meet the snake again), having taken the trouble to come this way.

You are in an area of farmland north of the White River. To the north you can see a track which runs east-west here, from the shelf of grey rock near the cataract, to become a paved road that leads to a monastery, a magnificent white building with enormous wooden gates.
WAIT

• Hide away from the road?
• Strike north towards the foothills of the mountains at the valley's northern side (crossing the road)?
• Take the road to the monastery?
• Take the track to the gorge and the cataract?
• Go south.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Well, we're here for the unlabeled building which apparently turned out to be the monastery, so I guess we go there and hope to be done in time to escape.
edit:
Damn, he's got two allies.

(The only thing I remember about this book is one potential ally of ours, but I don't know where they are or how to earn their favor.)
Last edited by Starmaker on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Starmaker wrote:
Damn, he's got two allies.

(The only thing I remember about this book is one potential ally of ours, but I don't know where they are or how to earn their favor.)
He's got 3
Your opponent has three allies or henchmen: Kritos Bloodheart, the Captain of the Archveult's guard, an evil and bloodthirsty warrior; Ka-riim, the Hashishin, the Archveult's assassin; and the Demiveult, a large winged reptile which some say is a Firedrake in its larval form, while others believe it is a product of the Archveult's genetic experiments.
Well, we're here for the unlabeled building which apparently turned out to be the monastery, so I guess we go there and hope to be done in time to escape.
I'll agree, let's test out the monastary.
Last edited by Mr Shine on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

(Ka-riim the Assassin is not lurking near the Monastery.)

Outside the gates of the monastery you see several monks working in the vegetable garden.

(Neither you nor your opponent have a relevant codeword.)

They are wearing yellow habits and there is an inscription in gold leaf above the massive gateswhich reads 'Eo, Wholeness, the Prince of Peace and Weal, Guardian of the Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion.' A golden flag flies atop the chapel spire. These monks are good people, but followers of Eo are very strict in their religious observances.
WAIT

• Greet the monks?
• Steal in through the open gates?
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Show respect, and greet them
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Actually, given that these authors' definition of "good people" includes a Klan Wizard (see the Overlord! LP), we might just get booted out of here because the monks are required to respect the local authorities. I vote sneak in.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I have no problem with the sneaky approach if that is what you prefer. We are after all a thief.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I think this place is where the priest character should flee from the Hunter after the bridge trap, since he's the only character who can't swim upstream. It follows that the Barbarian and the Thief will get booted out of here.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

(You record a codeword.)
(You are a thief.)
You are soon safely inside the main hall, the monk's refectory, which is deserted. It is poorly-furnished and the religious texts which adorn the wall lack embellishment of any kind, but there is one thing of outstanding beauty on the top table. It is a silver cross with a golden serpent entwined about it. Unable to believe your luck, you seize the serpentine cross and slip out of the monastery once more.

• Take the road east to the gorge?
• Go southwest?
WAIT first.
Jeez, lady, priorities! In other news, that's the 13th WAIT, night falls soon.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

SW towards the city? We have "contacts". Seems they're most likely to be found in a city. E is just heading back the way we came.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Yep, we need to build up some distance.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

(Ka-riim is not lurking near the monastery.)

You are in the hinterlands of the Great Fen. The marsh stinks and is full of unpleasant insects and leeches. It is unthinkable to hide in the reeds here. The mountains to the northwest do not quite come to the marsh's edge. There is a strip of land between the two. To the south the flat marsh stretches to the horizon. To the northeast is farmland and some way off you can see a magnificent white monastery.
WAIT

• Go southwest?
• Northeast to the Monastery?
• South into the marsh?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

It is unthinkable to hide in the reeds here.
Southwest to the forest then, where it might be possible to hide?

Mr Shine wrote:He's got 3
I'd thought/hoped/misread he'd get a pick of one, who we might have a chance of satisfyingly killing. Sigh. And the map is smaller that I'd thought it would be. (Double sigh.)
Last edited by Starmaker on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I'm up for SW
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

(Ka-riim is patrolling this area!)
You are standing among the trees of a dark and forbidding wood when, suddenly, a grey figure leaps as if from nowhere, catching you by surprise. You jump back as a gleaming blade appears in the figure's hands. It is Ka-riim, assassin of the Archveult. Clad in close-fitting grey robes, you can just make out his gaunt features hidden in the folds of his grey cowl.

As you circle each other, Ka-riim brings out a crystal ball, and speaks into it: 'I have found the quarry, O Lord of Firedrakes, he is at the Forest of the Living Dead.'

(Your opponent has been informed of your position.)

Ka-riim's short sword is coated with a black ichor and he wields it with frightening skill. You must fight – your opponent can roll dice for Ka-riim as he knows what is going on via the crystal ball.

KA-RIIM THE HASHISHIN
Healthy (Strike +1)
Injured (Damage -1)
Badly Wounded (Strike -2, Damage -2)
Crippled (Strike -4, Damage -3)
Dead
If Ka-riim's poisoned sword strikes you, it deals an extra wound on a roll of 5 or 6. When Ka-riim becomes Badly Wounded, he will flee on a die roll of 5 or 6. When Ka-riim becomes Crippled, he will flee on a die roll of 4, 5, or 6. If he flees, Ka-riim will not be lurking anywhere for you until the Archveult places him again.

(He starts with a 2-point edge on a 2d6 RNG and the quarry's usual HL edge is negated this fight, but if you get a lucky hit, his threat drops quickly. Your life is in the hands of Fate.)
Round 1: Quarry 4-1, Ka-riim 3+1; Damage 3 (1 HL), no poison, Quarry is Wounded!
Round 2: Quarry 7-1, Ka-riim 5+1; No hit.
Round 3: Quarry 5-1, Ka-riim 10+1; Damage 3 (1 HL), no poison, Quarry is Badly Wounded!
Round 4: Quarry 6-1, Ka-riim 2+1; Damage 1 (1 HL), Ka-riim is Injured!
Round 5: Quarry 7-1, Ka-riim 4-1; Damage 4 (1 HL), Ka-riim is Badly Wounded! Ka-riim does not flee.
Round 6: Quarry 11-1, Ka-riim 9-2; Damage 3 (1 HL), Kariim is Crippled! Ka-riim does not flee.
Round 7: Quarry 5-1, Ka-riim 4-4; Damage 3 (1 HL), Ka-riim is Dead!
Ka-riim lies dead at your feet. You may take his sword which will add one to your strike rolls if you use it in combat. Whenever you strike with it, roll an additional die after the damage roll – if you roll 6 the poison on the sword takes effect and your enemy takes an additional Wound Level. As you search the body of Ka-riim you dislodge the crystal ball – you are staring face-to-face with the Archveult, his evil alien features glare at you hatefully. At this point you can talk freely with your opponent, but you must tell him what you are wearing and what weapons you possess.

WAIT THREE TIMES
Technically those WAITs were broken up a little more, but in a way that made the timing of your communication with the Archveult make little sense. Taunting in the main thread, please.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You are standing at the edge of a dark, forbidding forest. You feel strangely uncomfortable here. It is as if the wood radiated an aura of evil. To the northwest, barren hills surround a great smoking volcano. To the northeast, mountains rise to the skies, and to the east is a steaming swamp. There is a short strip of solid ground between the mountains and the swamp.
WAIT

• Search the forest for a suitable place to hide?
• Head towards the volcano?
• Head for the pass between mountain and swamp?
• Go southwest into the wood?
• Go southeast into the wood?
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Half a vote for hiding. Sure, he knows where we are, but discovery is most likely a random roll. Wherever we go, we're more likely to run into a trap or another of these kill-stealing assholes.

edit: alternatively, we might pick a direction at random. As long as we're going "into" the woods, we won't trigger a trap/minion placement and just might run into something useful.
Last edited by Starmaker on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I have some bad news. Before your choice can be made, you hear the baying of the Hounds of Hell. The hunter is upon you!
The Archveult has caught you. Any creatures simply move away at the sight of the Archveult. You may exchange any insults or threats you think appropriate at this stage.

(The Archveult is considering whether to unleash his hounds against you, or face you himself.)
Well, this is pretty bad, but at least you have a decent weapon. And unlike most enemies, you can try to flee from the Archveult. More on that when and if it comes up.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The hounds leap towards you, snarling and snorting flame. You must fight them whilst the Archveult watches, an evil smile on his reptilian features.

(The hounds have a couple of specials. First, they are less good at fighting the Priest. Second, after each combat round they have a 1/3 chance to breathe fire, which has a 1/2 chance to hit and cause a damage roll. Nasty, if it goes off.)
HOUNDS OF HELL
Savage (+2 strike, +1 damage)
Vicious (+1 strike)
Wounded (-1 damage)
Whimpering (-1 strike, -2 damage)
Dead

Round 1: Thief 6+2, Hounds 2+2; Damage 3 (1 HL, no poison). Hounds are Vicious. No firebreath.
Round 2: Thief 5+2, Hounds 10+1; Damage 1 (1 HL). Thief is Crippled. No firebreath.
Round 3: Thief 7+2, Hounds 8+1; Damage 5 (1 HL, no poison). Hounds are Wounded. Firebreath, misses.
Round 4: Thief 7+2, Hounds 5; Damage 4 (1 HL, no poison). Hounds are Whimpering. No firebreath.
(Combat ends!)
The hounds suddenly sprint back toward the Archveult, tails between their legs. The Archveult has called them off rather than risk their loss. You can mock your opponent now, exchange insults or whatever before closing for hand to hand combat.
You circle each other warily. For each combat round you must choose one of eight combat options (listed below), the results of which will modify the next strike roll on top of any other modifiers you both may have. The Archveult will be making a choice from the same moves. There is a table at the back of the book in the main thread explaining the combat choices.

• Charge forward and execute an overhead cut?
• Make a cautious jab?
• Sidestep to the left and slash to the right?
• Sidestep to the right and slash to the left?
• Slash to the left?
• Slash to the right?
• Parry and riposte?
• Flee?
The Thief

Wound Levels:
Healthy/Bruised/Injured/Wounded/Badly Wounded/Crippled/Dead

Combat:
-1 Strike (until you find a weapon).
+1 Strike (with a weapon).

Equipment:
Ka-riim's Sword (+1 Strike, 1/6 chance of poison on hit)
Silver Cross.

Special Abilities
Weapon skill
Stealth
Average Swimmer
Contacts
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Welp, that doesn't look good. I don't know how we're going to get out of here without a wound, as a I assume fleeing will always incur a free hit. Without much hope, I'll suggest Parry and Riposte on the basis Flee is probably auto-fatal.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Mr Shine wrote:Welp, that doesn't look good. I don't know how we're going to get out of here without a wound, as a I assume fleeing will always incur a free hit. Without much hope, I'll suggest Parry and Riposte on the basis Flee is probably auto-fatal.
There are no free or auto-hits. Check the matrix in the main thread.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

OK, sorry. So looking at the table, if we flee we have 1 round of combat at a disadvantage unless he charges so we can't flee or he parries or flees, in which case we escape.

I still don't like our chances fleeing. We're almost certainly dead either way but fighting and winning seems the less hopeless option. I'll change to sidestep left, as it's a neutral or better move against everything except "slash right", and particualy good against "charge".
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Looking at the table again, is there an error?

Everything else seems symmetric, however a cautious jab v a sidestep is coming up for the quarry either way. Should one of them be for the Archveult?
Last edited by Mr Shine on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

There is an error, in the book as opposed to in my transcription. Fortunately, the text has the correct result. Cautious Jab vs Sidestep is advantage to the jabber.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:There is an error, in the book as opposed to in my transcription. Fortunately, the text has the correct result. Cautious Jab vs Sidestep is advantage to the jabber.
Even so, I'll still stick with sidestep left as my provisional vote.