The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
[LP] Blood Valley: The Quarry
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The Archveult is asking you for location codes. He is searching... somewhere.
Quote:
(Ka-riim the assassin is not lurking near the monastery.)
(You leave tracks.)

There is no cover here near the river below the tarn. The river flows strongly to the south towards the Great Fen. To the north you can see tamed farmland.

• Cross the river (if you are the barbarian or the thief)?
• Flee north? √

I assume nobody wants to go back (and meet the snake again), having taken the trouble to come this way.
Quote:
(Ka-riim the assassin is not lurking near the monastery.)

You are in an area of farmland north of the White River. To the north you can see a track which runs east-west here, from the shelf of grey rock near the cataract, to become a paved road that leads to a monastery, a magnificent white building with enormous wooden gates.

WAIT

• Hide away from the road?
• Strike north towards the foothills of the mountains at the valley's northern side (crossing the road)?
• Take the road to the monastery?
• Take the track to the gorge and the cataract?
• Go south.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2330
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Well, we're here for the unlabeled building which apparently turned out to be the monastery, so I guess we go there and hope to be done in time to escape.
edit:
Quote:
(Ka-riim the assassin is not lurking near the monastery.)

Damn, he's got two allies.

(The only thing I remember about this book is one potential ally of ours, but I don't know where they are or how to earn their favor.)


Last edited by Starmaker on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Starmaker wrote:

Quote:
(Ka-riim the assassin is not lurking near the monastery.)

Damn, he's got two allies.

(The only thing I remember about this book is one potential ally of ours, but I don't know where they are or how to earn their favor.)

He's got 3
Quote:
Your opponent has three allies or henchmen: Kritos Bloodheart, the Captain of the Archveult's guard, an evil and bloodthirsty warrior; Ka-riim, the Hashishin, the Archveult's assassin; and the Demiveult, a large winged reptile which some say is a Firedrake in its larval form, while others believe it is a product of the Archveult's genetic experiments.

Quote:
Well, we're here for the unlabeled building which apparently turned out to be the monastery, so I guess we go there and hope to be done in time to escape.

I'll agree, let's test out the monastary.


Last edited by Mr Shine on Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:34 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
(Ka-riim the Assassin is not lurking near the Monastery.)

Outside the gates of the monastery you see several monks working in the vegetable garden.

(Neither you nor your opponent have a relevant codeword.)

They are wearing yellow habits and there is an inscription in gold leaf above the massive gateswhich reads 'Eo, Wholeness, the Prince of Peace and Weal, Guardian of the Golden Road to Unlimited Devotion.' A golden flag flies atop the chapel spire. These monks are good people, but followers of Eo are very strict in their religious observances.

WAIT
• Greet the monks?
• Steal in through the open gates?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Show respect, and greet them
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2330
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Actually, given that these authors' definition of "good people" includes a Klan Wizard (see the Overlord! LP), we might just get booted out of here because the monks are required to respect the local authorities. I vote sneak in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have no problem with the sneaky approach if that is what you prefer. We are after all a thief.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2330
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think this place is where the priest character should flee from the Hunter after the bridge trap, since he's the only character who can't swim upstream. It follows that the Barbarian and the Thief will get booted out of here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
(You record a codeword.)
(You are a thief.)

Quote:
You are soon safely inside the main hall, the monk's refectory, which is deserted. It is poorly-furnished and the religious texts which adorn the wall lack embellishment of any kind, but there is one thing of outstanding beauty on the top table. It is a silver cross with a golden serpent entwined about it. Unable to believe your luck, you seize the serpentine cross and slip out of the monastery once more.

• Take the road east to the gorge?
• Go southwest?
WAIT first.

Jeez, lady, priorities! In other news, that's the 13th WAIT, night falls soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

SW towards the city? We have "contacts". Seems they're most likely to be found in a city. E is just heading back the way we came.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SlyJohnny
Knight-Baron


Joined: 23 Jan 2012
Posts: 953

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yep, we need to build up some distance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
(Ka-riim is not lurking near the monastery.)

You are in the hinterlands of the Great Fen. The marsh stinks and is full of unpleasant insects and leeches. It is unthinkable to hide in the reeds here. The mountains to the northwest do not quite come to the marsh's edge. There is a strip of land between the two. To the south the flat marsh stretches to the horizon. To the northeast is farmland and some way off you can see a magnificent white monastery.

WAIT
• Go southwest?
• Northeast to the Monastery?
• South into the marsh?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2330
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
It is unthinkable to hide in the reeds here.

Southwest to the forest then, where it might be possible to hide?


Mr Shine wrote:
He's got 3

I'd thought/hoped/misread he'd get a pick of one, who we might have a chance of satisfyingly killing. Sigh. And the map is smaller that I'd thought it would be. (Double sigh.)


Last edited by Starmaker on Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm up for SW
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
(Ka-riim is patrolling this area!)

Quote:
You are standing among the trees of a dark and forbidding wood when, suddenly, a grey figure leaps as if from nowhere, catching you by surprise. You jump back as a gleaming blade appears in the figure's hands. It is Ka-riim, assassin of the Archveult. Clad in close-fitting grey robes, you can just make out his gaunt features hidden in the folds of his grey cowl.


As you circle each other, Ka-riim brings out a crystal ball, and speaks into it: 'I have found the quarry, O Lord of Firedrakes, he is at the Forest of the Living Dead.'

(Your opponent has been informed of your position.)

Ka-riim's short sword is coated with a black ichor and he wields it with frightening skill. You must fight – your opponent can roll dice for Ka-riim as he knows what is going on via the crystal ball.

KA-RIIM THE HASHISHIN
Healthy (Strike +1)
Injured (Damage -1)
Badly Wounded (Strike -2, Damage -2)
Crippled (Strike -4, Damage -3)
Dead
If Ka-riim's poisoned sword strikes you, it deals an extra wound on a roll of 5 or 6. When Ka-riim becomes Badly Wounded, he will flee on a die roll of 5 or 6. When Ka-riim becomes Crippled, he will flee on a die roll of 4, 5, or 6. If he flees, Ka-riim will not be lurking anywhere for you until the Archveult places him again.

(He starts with a 2-point edge on a 2d6 RNG and the quarry's usual HL edge is negated this fight, but if you get a lucky hit, his threat drops quickly. Your life is in the hands of Fate.)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
You are standing at the edge of a dark, forbidding forest. You feel strangely uncomfortable here. It is as if the wood radiated an aura of evil. To the northwest, barren hills surround a great smoking volcano. To the northeast, mountains rise to the skies, and to the east is a steaming swamp. There is a short strip of solid ground between the mountains and the swamp.

WAIT
• Search the forest for a suitable place to hide?
• Head towards the volcano?
• Head for the pass between mountain and swamp?
• Go southwest into the wood?
• Go southeast into the wood?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Starmaker
Duke


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 2330
Location: Redmonton

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Half a vote for hiding. Sure, he knows where we are, but discovery is most likely a random roll. Wherever we go, we're more likely to run into a trap or another of these kill-stealing assholes.

edit: alternatively, we might pick a direction at random. As long as we're going "into" the woods, we won't trigger a trap/minion placement and just might run into something useful.


Last edited by Starmaker on Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I have some bad news. Before your choice can be made, you hear the baying of the Hounds of Hell. The hunter is upon you!
Quote:
The Archveult has caught you. Any creatures simply move away at the sight of the Archveult. You may exchange any insults or threats you think appropriate at this stage.

(The Archveult is considering whether to unleash his hounds against you, or face you himself.)

Well, this is pretty bad, but at least you have a decent weapon. And unlike most enemies, you can try to flee from the Archveult. More on that when and if it comes up.


Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Sun Mar 20, 2016 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
The hounds leap towards you, snarling and snorting flame. You must fight them whilst the Archveult watches, an evil smile on his reptilian features.

(The hounds have a couple of specials. First, they are less good at fighting the Priest. Second, after each combat round they have a 1/3 chance to breathe fire, which has a 1/2 chance to hit and cause a damage roll. Nasty, if it goes off.)

Quote:
HOUNDS OF HELL
Savage (+2 strike, +1 damage)
Vicious (+1 strike)
Wounded (-1 damage)
Whimpering (-1 strike, -2 damage)
Dead

Round 1: Thief 6+2, Hounds 2+2; Damage 3 (1 HL, no poison). Hounds are Vicious. No firebreath.
Round 2: Thief 5+2, Hounds 10+1; Damage 1 (1 HL). Thief is Crippled. No firebreath.
Round 3: Thief 7+2, Hounds 8+1; Damage 5 (1 HL, no poison). Hounds are Wounded. Firebreath, misses.
Round 4: Thief 7+2, Hounds 5; Damage 4 (1 HL, no poison). Hounds are Whimpering. No firebreath.
(Combat ends!)

Quote:
The hounds suddenly sprint back toward the Archveult, tails between their legs. The Archveult has called them off rather than risk their loss. You can mock your opponent now, exchange insults or whatever before closing for hand to hand combat.

Quote:
You circle each other warily. For each combat round you must choose one of eight combat options (listed below), the results of which will modify the next strike roll on top of any other modifiers you both may have. The Archveult will be making a choice from the same moves. There is a table at the back of the book in the main thread explaining the combat choices.

• Charge forward and execute an overhead cut?
• Make a cautious jab?
• Sidestep to the left and slash to the right?
• Sidestep to the right and slash to the left?
• Slash to the left?
• Slash to the right?
• Parry and riposte?
• Flee?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Welp, that doesn't look good. I don't know how we're going to get out of here without a wound, as a I assume fleeing will always incur a free hit. Without much hope, I'll suggest Parry and Riposte on the basis Flee is probably auto-fatal.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mr Shine wrote:
Welp, that doesn't look good. I don't know how we're going to get out of here without a wound, as a I assume fleeing will always incur a free hit. Without much hope, I'll suggest Parry and Riposte on the basis Flee is probably auto-fatal.

There are no free or auto-hits. Check the matrix in the main thread.
_________________
"Now that we've determined that up to π angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine the specific number (or fraction) of angels dancing?"
"What if angels from another pin engage them in melee combat?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OK, sorry. So looking at the table, if we flee we have 1 round of combat at a disadvantage unless he charges so we can't flee or he parries or flees, in which case we escape.

I still don't like our chances fleeing. We're almost certainly dead either way but fighting and winning seems the less hopeless option. I'll change to sidestep left, as it's a neutral or better move against everything except "slash right", and particualy good against "charge".
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Looking at the table again, is there an error?

Everything else seems symmetric, however a cautious jab v a sidestep is coming up for the quarry either way. Should one of them be for the Archveult?


Last edited by Mr Shine on Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7446

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

There is an error, in the book as opposed to in my transcription. Fortunately, the text has the correct result. Cautious Jab vs Sidestep is advantage to the jabber.
_________________
"Now that we've determined that up to π angels can dance on the head of a pin, how do we determine the specific number (or fraction) of angels dancing?"
"What if angels from another pin engage them in melee combat?"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Jan 2014
Posts: 706

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

angelfromanotherpin wrote:
There is an error, in the book as opposed to in my transcription. Fortunately, the text has the correct result. Cautious Jab vs Sidestep is advantage to the jabber.


Even so, I'll still stick with sidestep left as my provisional vote.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group