[LP] Blood Valley: The Quarry

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I think we should anticipate a cautious jab, and therefore Charge him, first round. They're going to expect us to cut and run, but will likely not commit to a Charge/Chop, so if we charge, we can get a good hit in and then maybe bail later.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I wonder if he's got a wound penalty track, otherwise, he can just switch between Charge/Chop and Cautious Jab (the two options where he always gets a strike in on a Flee attempt) and wait for us to guess wrong or just be plain unlucky. But between these two, us Charging gives him no bonus, plus it's moderately emotionally satisfying.

Those three WAITs were bullshit flavored bullshit. <.<
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

He always gets to attack unless he parries or flees, only him charging guarantees him a second round if we choose to flee. I'm up for charging him though if that's your consensus.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

Starmaker wrote:I wonder if he's got a wound penalty track, otherwise, he can just switch between Charge/Chop and Cautious Jab (the two options where he always gets a strike in on a Flee attempt) and wait for us to guess wrong or just be plain unlucky. But between these two, us Charging gives him no bonus, plus it's moderately emotionally satisfying.

Those three WAITs were bullshit flavored bullshit. <.<
Ooof. Hadn't thought of that. I was thinking we'd trick them into thinking that we intend to go down fighting, and then escape second or third round when they'd hopefully slash or sidestep, but you're right that the Archveult can likely just suck up the negative penalty for charging or jabbing unfavourably, and still probably either outlast us, or get in a good strike and kill us if we flee.

Can we tell if the Archveult is unwounded? My vote's the same either way.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Starmaker wrote:Those three WAITs were bullshit flavored bullshit. <.<
I'm ambivalent. An ally fight comes with two WAITS, probably because having the ally locate you isn't worth much if you aren't bogged down there for a little while, and I'm okay with that, even if having such a fight last two in-game hours is logically iffy. It's the third one that bothers me, because it's the result of an unavoidable body-looting, which really shouldn't eat a whole WAIT by itself.
SlyJohnny wrote:Can we tell if the Archveult is unwounded? My vote's the same either way.
He's unwounded. He also doesn't degrade his combat mods as he loses Health Levels.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You rush forward, delivering a great overhead blow at the Archveult, screaming as you do so.

(The Archveult has made a cautious jab.)

You batter his tentative thrust aside and catch him off balance - add three to your strike roll.
Round 1: Quarry 6+2+3, Archveult 8+2; Damage roll 2 (no poison, no armor save: 1 HL) The Archveult is Bruised.
You circle each other warily. For each combat round you must choose one of eight combat options (listed below), the results of which will modify the next strike roll on top of any other modifiers you both may have. The Archveult will be making a choice from the same moves. There is a table at the back of the book in the main thread explaining the combat choices.

• Charge forward and execute an overhead cut?
• Make a cautious jab?
• Sidestep to the left and slash to the right?
• Sidestep to the right and slash to the left?
• Slash to the left?
• Slash to the right?
• Parry and riposte?
• Flee?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

He's found armor?? Sheesh. I'm guessing heading south from the start was the way to roll.

I'm guessing they'll charge this round (they'll want to change, possibly, but I doubt they'll go defensive right away and they still want to guard against us fleeing), so I vote for Sidestep Left.

If that works, then third round, we book it. Forest is looking good as we have the cross, which probably repels undead, though I'm worried that even an auto-win encounter will give us a WAIT.

But that's getting ahead of ourselves and we're probably going to die here.
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Mon Mar 21, 2016 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The Archveult starts with armor. It's ancestral.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I think he'll anticipate a sidestep and jab at us again. I'd go for a second charge/chop.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I'll change my vote to that.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You rush forward, delivering a great overhead blow at the Archveult, screaming as you do so.

(The Archveult has charged and chopped.)

You meet with a resounding clash.
Round 2: Quarry 7+2, Archveult 6+2; Damage Roll 6 (no poison, armor saves!: 1 HL). The Archveult is Injured.
Fortune is with you, for the moment.
You circle each other warily. For each combat round you must choose one of eight combat options (listed below), the results of which will modify the next strike roll on top of any other modifiers you both may have. The Archveult will be making a choice from the same moves. There is a table at the back of the book in the main thread explaining the combat choices.

• Charge forward and execute an overhead cut?
• Make a cautious jab?
• Sidestep to the left and slash to the right?
• Sidestep to the right and slash to the left?
• Slash to the left?
• Slash to the right?
• Parry and riposte?
• Flee?
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

I vote to flee now. Hopefully we've convinced them that we're a suicidal beserker by this point and they'll sidestep. If they don't buy it and elect to just mostly charge with the occasional jab or slash to keep us on our toes, then we're screwed anyway; we'll likely die even if we choose the right counter moves
Last edited by SlyJohnny on Wed Mar 23, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I'm against fleeing, but won't vote against it if that's what you want to do. Even if we succesfully escape, daybreak is coming quickly and with it instant death unless we heal. I will provisionaly abstain from this round.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

You turn tail and flee, hacking wildly behind you as you do so.

(The Archveult has charged.)

He rushes after you, aiming a great blow at your exposed back. The Archveult adds 4 to his strike roll and 1 to his damage roll.
Round 3: Quarry 4+2, Archveult 9+2+4; Damage Roll 9 (3 HLs). The Quarry is Dead, dead, dead.
Alas, you were outguessed. Your spirit must console itself with the knowledge that despite the long odds against you, you gave a good account of yourself.
SlyJohnny
Duke

Post by SlyJohnny »

: / Sorry guys, bad call on my part.