Newschool F/M/T

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Newschool F/M/T

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Ok so yesterday on annoying game questions I said I was going to post a remake of the F/M/T for 3.5. Not specifically for tome but with the spells, skills, and if the bonus feats were changed to be able to grab tome feats you'd be set for a mildly impressive character.

So here it is

Fighter/Mage/Thief

Hit Dice: D8
Skills: 6+ Int
Bab 3/4
Fort good
Reflex bad
Will good

1 - Trapfinding, Spells, Armored Mage
2 - Summon familiar, sneak attack 1d6, Bonus feat
3 - Armored Ease
4 - Insightful Strike
5 - Bonus feat, sneak attack 2d6
6 - Arcane Armor
7 -
8 - Bonus feat, sneak attack 3d6
9 - Dispelling strike
10 -
11 - Bonus feat, sneak attack 4d6
14 - Bonus feat, sneak attack 5d6
17 - Bonus feat, Sneak attack 6d6
20 - Bonus feat, Sneak attack 7d6

Proficiencies: F/M/T is proficient in all simple, martial weapons, and one exotic weapon of his choice. He is proficient in light, medium, heavy armor, and all shields including tower shields.

Armored Mage: the F/M/T can cast in all armor he is proficient in without arcane spell failure.

Trapfinding: as Rogue

Spells: F/M/T casts as a wizard, with a spell book and everything. He may pick spells of the bard and wizard spell lists. At first level the F/M/T learns eight cantrips and three plus intelligence modifier in first level spells. He learns three spells every level thereafter.

Summon Familiar: as sorcerer

Bonus Feats: F/M/T gets bonus feats indicated by the table. He must choose feats off the fighter, metamagic, item creation, or reserve feat lists

Sneak Attack: as rogue, indicated by the table.

Armored Ease: F/M/T lowers the armor check penalty to armor by his intelligence modifier. He adds the same number to his armor's max dexterity bonus.

Insightful strike: F/M/T adds their intelligence modifier to attack and damage rolls on all weapon attacks within 40ft.

Arcane Armor: As a swift action a F/M/T can expend a spell. He gains damage reduction three times spell level for a number of rounds equal to his intelligence modifier.

Dispelling Strike: As part of a weapon attack a F/M/T can declare the attack as a dispelling strike. If the attack hits the target has a targeted dispel magic, greater, cast on it. You can use this ability 2+int mod per day, but only once per round. Caster level equal character level.

Spells per day is similar to bards but one more per day per spell level and you get 1st level spells at first. Does any of this need written clearer? I know this a generic and boring chassis that doesn't really bring anything new to the table, but I miss my Baldur's Gate. I just want to emulate him without all the bullshit multi-classing and min-maxing.

Edit 2: added shit and started tome-ing it up.
Last edited by RedstoneOrc on Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

I haven't even read the class, and I never fucking will because your stupid poll convinced me to put you on ignore. But based on everything else you've said, I'm going to guess that your class is fucking garbage.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

Wow put on Ignore for a stupid fucking poll. I know this is th3 d3n but hot damn that is some thin skin/ mega autism coming from a board that a good portion browses 4chan.
I have currently hit the ignore feature 5 times on accident, and only once on purpose. This has got to be some kind of record.
Wiseman
Duke

Post by Wiseman »

It's honestly a toss up as to whether anything Kaelik says is worthwhile or just pointless anger and insults. I'd just recommend ignoring him.
Keys to the Contract: A crossover between Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Kingdom Hearts.
RadiantPhoenix wrote:
TheFlatline wrote:Legolas/Robin Hood are myths that have completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a bow".
The D&D wizard is a work of fiction that has a completely unrealistic expectation of "uses a book".
hyzmarca wrote:Well, Mario Mario comes from a blue collar background. He was a carpenter first, working at a construction site. Then a plumber. Then a demolitionist. Also, I'm not sure how strict Mushroom Kingdom's medical licensing requirements are. I don't think his MD is valid in New York.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

Kaelik wrote: ArchDemon of Rage
I wouldn't worry about it.

But the class is awful. The SA damage isn't enough to make it actually useful, the spells look like they were just lifted at random the wizard list instead of fitted to the class, and I do not give a damn about bonus feats unless they're from Races of War (which I don't think you're considering).

... I guess it's on par with the Bard? But I'd consider that more damning than anything else. It's also much messier than the bard, with the random assortment of spells. It doesn't help that F/M/T comes pre-loaded with the baggage of "bad (but not terrible) at everything", which makes the concept a non-starter outside of oldschool games.

2/3-caster rogue-ish casters that you should look at:
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Jester_%283.5e_Class%29
http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Assassin,_Tome ... e_Class%29

I'd probably make this class 5 levels long, and give it selectable SLAs instead of forcing casting on it.
Last edited by ...You Lost Me on Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
fbmf
The Great Fence Builder

Post by fbmf »

RedstoneOrc wrote:Wow put on Ignore for a stupid fucking poll. I know this is th3 d3n but hot damn that is some thin skin/ mega autism coming from a board that a good portion browses 4chan.
[The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
Don't post a bullshit poll.
[/The Great Fence Builder Speaks]
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

...You Lost Me wrote:
Links and words
Thanks for the links they're helping flesh out the class some. But on reducing the class to five levels long when Barbarian, Fighter, and Paladin have been change enough to warrant 20 levels, is bullshit of the highest regard. The class as first posted was better than a straight phb barbarian or fighter and any medium paladin character in a dungeon.

Anyways I need at least five more higher level abilities, preferably out of combat ones. I don't mind a few dead levels but the class seems Kind of empty right now.
...You Lost Me
Duke

Post by ...You Lost Me »

The Races of War fighter fix is essentially only a fighter in name and number of feats. The Races of War barbarian fix leverages the theme of rage as an excuse to create high-level class features. Thus those two manage to warrant 20-level classes -- and I'd honestly say they're barely skirting by.

The above class sticks to the themes of PHB fighter, PHB rogue, and PHB wizard. Basically two of its running themes are on a short clock, while the third is a diluted copy, and you haven't added anything. So unlike both the Barbarian and the Fighter, this class has no reason to go to 20 levels.

The reason I suggest 5 is because I'm comparing this to the RoW Knight (10 levels) and the ToF Fiendish Brute (10 levels). The knight leverages wacky pseudo-magic stuff and leadership, but still has a 10-level expiration date. The fiendish brute caps at 10 because even crazy fiend feats aren't good enough to extend its lifespan. This class has no excuse for high-level abilities on par with the knight or brute, and thus deserves something lower. Level 5 is where weaknesses of the class become obvious, so it seems like a good cutoff.
DSMatticus wrote:Again, look at this fucking map you moron. Take your finger and trace each country's coast, then trace its claim line. Even you - and I say that as someone who could not think less of your intelligence - should be able to tell that one of these things is not like the other.
Kaelik wrote:I invented saying mean things about Tussock.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Hey, RedStoneOrc, here's my stab at the Elf class you asked for. I'm putting it here to keep this all in one thread. Let me know if that's a problem and/or if you have any comments. Dwarf coming.
The Iconic Elf
A master class for the master race.

Are you looking at my Halfling?

There are places where the most traditional image of an Elf is as a warrior-wizard, and this class is for people who appreciate that tradition.

The Iconic Elf is mostly copied from one of the Tome Eldritch Knight prestige classes (whose contributor was not credited for me to recredit), assuming base classes of Tome Fighter and Beguiler. It stops at level 10 because so did the BECMI Elf it's intended to be a call to.

Starting Age: As Wizard.
Starting Equipment: 6d4x10 gp
Alignment: Any.

Hit Die: d8
Base Attack Bonus: Good minus one.
Good Saving Throws: Fortitude and Will.
Skill Points: 4 + Intelligence modifier (x4 at level 1)
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival.
LevelBABSpecial0th1st2nd3rd4th
1+0Armored Caster32---
2+1Combat Focus, Trapfinding53---
3+2Arcane Strike64---
4+3Subtle Spell65---
5+4Channel Spell663--
6+5Subtler Spell664--
7+6/+1Duration Spell6653-
8+7/+2Resistance Break6664-
9+8/+3Chains of Disbelief66653
10+9/+4Clanholder, Second Nature66664

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Iconic Elf is proficient with all simple weapons and martial weapons, as well as light armors, medium armors, heavy armors, shields, and tower shields.
Spells: An Iconic Elf is an Intelligence-based spontaneous arcane caster, with spells per day as listed in the table above, and knows all spells on the Beguiler spell list that they are of sufficient level to cast.
Armored Caster: An Iconic Elf does not suffer arcane spell failure from armors they are proficient with.
Combat Focus: As Tome Fighter.
Trapfinding: As Beguiler.
Arcane Strike: At 3rd level, when an Iconic Elf makes a melee attack, they deal +Xd6 damage, where X is the level of the highest-level spell slot they have unused. This bonus damage is not applied to bonus attacks except for those granted by Base Attack Bonus.
Subtle Spell At 4th level, an Iconic Elf gains Subtle Spell as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a bonus [Combat] or [Metamagic] feat of their choice instead.
Channel Spell: At 5th level, an Iconic Elf can channel spells through a melee attack. To be eligible to be channeled, a spell must have a target, be a ray, or be an area of effect spell that affects certain kinds of targets. The Elf uses a single Standard action to cast the spell and make a single melee attack; if the attack hits, the spell's effects apply to the creature or object struck. A channeled spell has +3 to penetrate spell resistance and +2 to its save DC. An Iconic Elf can hold the charge on a channeled spell as per touch spells.
Subtler Spell: At 6th level, an Iconic Elf can altogether ignore Somatic components when casting spells.
Duration Spell: At 7th level, an Iconic Elf gains Duration Spell as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a bonus [Combat] or [Metamagic] feat of their choice instead.
Resistance Break: At 8th level, when an Iconic Elf deals weapon damage to a creature, that creature's Spell Resistance is suppressed for 24 hours.
Chains of Disbelief: As the alternate class feature from Unearthed Arcana.
Clanholder: At 10th level, an Iconic Elf gains a [Leadership] feat of their choice as a bonus feat; if they already have one they gain a [Combat] feat of their choice instead.
Second Nature: At 10th level, an Iconic Elf always has Base Attack Bonus equal to their character level minus one, so they can multiclass into a casting prestige class and not fall behind on stabbing.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Level -1 BAB is obnoxious. Just give them full BAB.

This feels more like a beguiling eldritch knight kinda thing than an elf thing (though I think something like this could be one approach to a fighter/mage/thief).

I've always liked the Duskblade's spell channeling thing (hit a dude who then gets teleported off a cliff or as high as possible so you can hit him again when he falls through your threatened area). I think any gish class should have something like that.
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

That Iconic Elf class looks fun. BAB-1 does feel kind of weird though. 2/3rds would feel 'fair' to PHB classes as you're effectively an arcane cleric at that point, but I don't think anyone on here cares that it's better than a phb fighter or pathfinder magus.

Perhaps a way to shoot magic through your arrows could be added in, but balanced in some way against melee magic.
---

I figure for an E6-E8 scale game it should be possible to design a Fighter, Mage, and Thief class meant to be multiclassed with one another. BAB and Fort/Ref/Will would have to be messed with for sane numbers though.
Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice

Post by RedstoneOrc »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Hey, RedStoneOrc, here's my stab at the Elf class you asked for. I'm putting it here to keep this all in one thread. Let me know if that's a problem and/or if you have any comments. Dwarf coming.
The Iconic Elf
A master class for the master race.

Are you looking at my Halfling?

There are places where the most traditional image of an Elf is as a warrior-wizard, and this class is for people who appreciate that tradition.

The Iconic Elf is mostly copied from one of the Tome Eldritch Knight prestige classes (whose contributor was not credited for me to recredit), assuming base classes of Tome Fighter and Beguiler. It stops at level 10 because so did the BECMI Elf it's intended to be a call to.

Starting Age: As Wizard.

Base Attack Bonus: Good minus one.
Good Saving Throws: Fortitude and Will.
Class Skills: Balance, Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Decipher Script, Diplomacy, Disable Device, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge (all), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Search, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Spot, Survival.
LevelBABSpecial0th1st2nd3rd4th
1+0Armored Caster32---
2+1Combat Focus, Trapfinding53---
3+2Arcane Strike64---
4+3Subtle Spell65---
5+4Channel Spell663--
6+5Subtler Spell664--
7+6/+1Duration Spell6653-
8+7/+2Resistance Break6664-
9+8/+3Chains of Disbelief66653
10+9/+4Clanholder, Second Nature66664

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Iconic Elf is proficient with all simple weapons and martial weapons, as well as light armors, medium armors, heavy armors, shields, and tower shields.
Spells: An Iconic Elf is an Intelligence-based spontaneous arcane caster, with spells per day as listed in the table above, and knows all spells on the Beguiler spell list that they are of sufficient level to cast.
Armored Caster: An Iconic Elf does not suffer arcane spell failure from armors they are proficient with.
Combat Focus: As Tome Fighter.
Trapfinding: As Beguiler.
Arcane Strike: At 3rd level, when an Iconic Elf makes a melee attack, they deal +Xd6 damage, where X is the level of the highest-level spell slot they have unused. This bonus damage is not applied to bonus attacks except for those granted by Base Attack Bonus.
Subtle Spell At 4th level, an Iconic Elf gains Subtle Spell as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a bonus [Combat] or [Metamagic] feat of their choice instead.
Channel Spell: At 5th level, an Iconic Elf can channel spells through a melee attack. To be eligible to be channeled, a spell must have a target, be a ray, or be an area of effect spell that affects certain kinds of targets. The Elf uses a single Standard action to cast the spell and make a single melee attack; if the attack hits, the spell's effects apply to the creature or object struck. A channeled spell has +3 to penetrate spell resistance and +2 to its save DC. An Iconic Elf can hold the charge on a channeled spell as per touch spells.
Subtler Spell: At 6th level, an Iconic Elf can altogether ignore Somatic components when casting spells.
Duration Spell: At 7th level, an Iconic Elf gains Duration Spell as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a bonus [Combat] or [Metamagic] feat of their choice instead.
Resistance Break: At 8th level, when an Iconic Elf deals weapon damage to a creature, that creature's Spell Resistance is suppressed for 24 hours.
Chains of Disbelief: As the alternate class feature from Unearthed Arcana.
Clanholder: At 10th level, an Iconic Elf gains a [Leadership] feat of their choice as a bonus feat; if they already have one they gain a [Combat] feat of their choice instead.
Second Nature: At 10th level, an Iconic Elf always has Base Attack Bonus equal to their character level minus one, so they can multiclass into a casting prestige class and not fall behind on stabbing.
Man this is great, and it's fine putting it up here.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Iconic Dwarf
The Iconic Dwarf
"Have you ever heard of Croesus, Goldfinger, Scrooge?"
"Yes."
"Casuals."

Contrary to the popular meme, our dwarves are not all the same; hell, some of them don't even have beards. But really quite a lot of them dig in the ground for wealth, and this is a class for people who like digging, treasure, and digging for treasure.

Starting Age: As Fighter.

Base Attack Bonus: Good.
Good Saving Throws: All.
Class Skills: Appraise, Balance, Climb, Craft, Escape Artist, Forgery, Knowledge (Architecture & Engineering, Dungeoneering, or History), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Search.
LevelSpecial
1Delve, Nose for Treasure
2Mage Slayer
3Delve Harder, Mettle
4Giant Slayer
5Delve Faster, Hear Through Stone
6Stone Sphere
7Delve Better, Forge Lore, Heavy Mettle
8Blindfighting
9Delve Stronger, Locate Object
10Great Fortitude
11Tremorsight, We Need To Go Deeper
12Iron Will

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: An Iconic Dwarf is proficient in all Simple and Martial weapons, as well as Light Armors, Medium Armors, Heavy Armors, Shields, and Tower Shields.
Delve: An Iconic Dwarf has a Burrow speed of 10 (earth only) while they have a digging tool in hand (pick, shovel, trowel, whatever); if the digging tool is masterwork, they can leave a stable tunnel behind them if they wish.
Nose for Treasure: An Iconic Dwarf can detect precious metals and gemstones as if he or she had the Scent ability and those substances were fragrant enough to be detected at 30 feet; if at least 500 gp value is kept in a single 5' square, it counts as strongly scented (double range) and overpowering if at least 5000 gp value (triple range). Intervening earth and stone does not block this ability.
Mage Slayer: At 2nd level, an Iconic Dwarf gains Mage Slayer as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a [Combat] feat of their choice instead.
Delve Harder: At 3rd level, an Iconic Dwarf's Burrow speed can be used through stone.
Mettle: At 3rd level, an Iconic Dwarf treats Fortitude Partial and Will Partial saves as Fortitude Negates and Will Negates saves respectively.
Mage Slayer: At 4th level, an Iconic Dwarf gains Giant Slayer as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a [Combat] feat of their choice instead.
Delve Faster: At 5th level, an Iconic Dwarf's Burrow speed increases to 30.
Hear Through Stone: At 5th level, an Iconic Dwarf can perform Clairaudience/Clairvoyance as a spell-like ability at will, with the following restrictions: first, they can only choose to hear at the chosen location; second, they must press their ear to the ground (this can be a wall if they are underground) for the duration or the effect ends immediately when they stop; and third, the sensor can only manifest on a significant surface of earth and/or stone (at least 5' square), if no such surface is in the target locale, the effect fails.
Stone Sphere: At 6th level, an Iconic Dwarf gains basic access to the Stone Sphere.
Delve Better: At 7th level, an Iconic Dwarf no longer needs a digging tool to use their Burrow speed and can leave a tunnel behind or not at their whim.
Forge Lore: At 7th level, an Iconic Dwarf can produce magical weapons and armor as if they had a Caster Level equal to their ranks in Craft.
Heavy Mettle: At 7th level, when an Iconic Dwarf fails a Fortitude Partial or Will Partial save, they take only the partial effect.
Blindfighting: At 8th level, an Iconic Dwarf gains Blindfighting as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a [Combat] feat of their choice instead.
Delve Stronger: As the Tome Samurai's Blade of Devastation, but without the ancestral weapon requirement.
Locate Object: At 9th level, an Iconic Dwarf can cast Locate Object as a spell-like ability at will.
Great Fortitude: At 10th level, an Iconic Dwarf gains Great Fortitude as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a [Combat] feat of their choice instead.
Tremorsight: At 11th level, an Iconic Dwarf ignores all concealment on things it can detect with its tremorsense.
We Need To Go Deeper: At 11th level, an Iconic Dwarf can tunnel between worlds, using Plane Shift as a spell-like ability a number of times per day equal to their Constitution bonus.
Iron Will: At 12th level, an Iconic Dwarf gains Iron Will as a bonus feat; if they already have it, they gain a [Combat] feat of their choice instead.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

angelfromanotherpin wrote:Iconic Dwarf
That's some good thematic content there.

Pic related: