[Ars Magica] Request for Help with Seduction Rules

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

[Ars Magica] Request for Help with Seduction Rules

Post by virgil »

I have a player who's companion is a secretive Redcap (postal worker with the full legal rights of any wizard) that tries to keep their feminine gender a secret, using an enchanted girdle when outside of the covenant. Not only her gender, but even her shapeshifting talents are something she tries to avoid advertising. Otherwise, she's a dedicated worker among the Redcaps.

She wants babies. Ideally, babies whose daddy is a Bjornaer (wizards with an animagus) out of hope it will increase the chance of producing shapeshifter offspring. The biggest hurdle is the fact neither of us are 100% comfortable roleplaying the whole 'seduction' portion of the storyline. We're fine with the lead up of finding an eligible bachelor, infiltrating their covenant to get an idea of their chances, and even the fallout should the magus ever finds out they slept with a shapeshifter for the purpose of producing more of her kind (Bjornaer are racist against any other kind of shapeshifter). But the scenes that involve getting close and convincing him to lay with her for at least a night; those are awkward for both of us.

This is where figuring out rules for a tryst to be both fair, consistent, and circumvent the need for RP for those scenes. Yes, I am fully aware that I can just throw an arbitrary EF for Pre+Charm and call it good, but I don't trust my gut instinct and I want something that can be used again (which is a non-zero chance with this group) and therefore maintain consistency.
Last edited by virgil on Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Roll Target's heterosexuality modified by PC's attractiveness.

I actually know nothing about Ars Magica, but that makes the most sense to me. Instead of having the PC make a seduction roll, have the NPC make a "I want to have sex with you" roll, modified by whatever attributes the PC has, and whatever effort they made in seduction.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

It most likely is Presence plus Charm. Or you can just say that she succeeds after a long and arduous lead up, and now has to deal with the consequences.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Yeah, eyeball an EF and apply personality mods. The NPC has no agency to violate, and the whole point is to abstract it until you're not uncomfortable, right?

Maybe do some side rolls, like Stealth or Carouse, to see if anyone got suspicious, make it less binary. Otherwise, just rip off the bandaid.
Daniel
Journeyman

Post by Daniel »

Easy solution
We are not talking romance here. Just fucking. So just let the mailwoman visit a chantry with a couple of the most :viking: Bjornaer imaginable and throw herself at them. Couple of Presence/Communication + Carouse, Guile, Charm, Intrigue, Folk Ken (and with certain people Leadership) rolls.

If she wants to actually marry one and take advantage of him beyond a sperm donation, just stat one out and give him to another player as new pc. Let them sort it out from there.

There are disputatio mechanics in Art&Academe you could probably repurpose for this, but really :roll: