The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
So... Star Wars [Spoilers]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shrapnel
Prince


Joined: 06 Jan 2012
Posts: 2578
Location: Clockworks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
I don't have kids so I don't know but how do you keep young children in line before they develop the ability to consider the consequences of their actions? Judging by people my age with children the answer of choice is "do nothing" and raise unbearable little shits, but I don't think that's the best possible choice


You do realize there are other methods of discipline than just corporal punishment, right?
_________________
Fuck you, Trump.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
virgil
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5833

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrapnel wrote:
You do realize there are other methods of discipline than just corporal punishment, right?
You sic ghosts at them?
_________________
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Count Arioch the 28th
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 5573

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Shrapnel wrote:
Count Arioch the 28th wrote:
I don't have kids so I don't know but how do you keep young children in line before they develop the ability to consider the consequences of their actions? Judging by people my age with children the answer of choice is "do nothing" and raise unbearable little shits, but I don't think that's the best possible choice


You do realize there are other methods of discipline than just corporal punishment, right?


I was asking for examples actually.
_________________
In this moment, I am Ur-phoric. Not because of any phony godís blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my int score.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ETortoise
Journeyman


Joined: 26 Jan 2010
Posts: 114
Location: Brooklyn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm a preschool teacher (ages 2-5), so I'll list some of the things we do.

First however, I want to make it clear that discipline at school isn't the same as at home. While we have to deal with more children at a time our day with the children ends and they go home. A lot of kids are able to hold their behavior together for the school day then lose it over something at home because they've been working so hard. Also, our day is a familiar routine that's built around the children. Real life isn't so simple; moms and dads have to get errands done, take care of kids who are different ages or get everyone to bed. As I say to parents a lot, it's never 9PM at school.

If a child is doing something that is dangerous to themselves or others I will remove them from the situation. If I cant get to them in a timely manner I will "use my strong voice."

If a child is having a tantrum I'll usually just wait. (This is a luxury parents don't always have.) While I'm waiting I'll say things like "you sound mad," or "you're mad" if they're around 2. Giving small children the words to express their emotions can help a lot. 2 to 3-year olds are sometimes not yet able to comfort themselves. Once their done with the angry part of the tantrum they'll start crying and will need some comforting to get themselves together. This is a case where you have to listen to the tone of their crying and just know the kid.

We don't say time-out at my school, though we do use it as a technique. Th reason is that consequences for disruptive behavior are more effective and meaningful when their presented as natural consequences rather than imposed punishments. We'll say things like "you don't seem ready to be here right now, please go take a break in a chair."

In all of these situations it's important to check in with the child after they've calmed down and explain what happened and why. Kids want to do the right thing and this is when they're receptive to reminders of what that is. It's also when you give them strategies to use instead of the behaviors you're trying to correct.

When it comes to conflict with another child we try to mediate the problem even if one of the children was more in the wrong (inasmuch as they can be since they're freaking 3.) Small children are incredibly self-centered so they needs to have their feelings validated if they're going to be part of the discussion at all. We also don't make kids say sorry. "Sorry" is either completely meaningless to a preschooler or it's a magic word that you say to not get in trouble. We guide children to "check in with their friend" and see how they can "fix it."

That's a bit of an off-the-cuff overview, but I'd be happy to answer more specific questions or recommend books to read.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 11862

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

ETortoise wrote:
In all of these situations it's important to check in with the child after they've calmed down and explain what happened and why.\


This, if you don't talk to your kids and try to explain to them why what they did was "wrong" then how do you know it doesn't work?

99.99% of people who advocate hitting kids advocate it without having ever tried talking to the kids, because they are lazy (or ignorant, or both) shits who don't understand that immediate responses to a problem to make it not a problem, and long term corrective solutions to make it not become a problem in the future are not the same thing, and if you are looking for one thing to do both, they think hitting does that.

But evidence suggests that it is less effective than talking at the second thing, and certainly not more effective at the first thing than simple context dependant responses (like, picking kids up and carrying them away from the light socket and not beating them).
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
RobbyPants
Prince


Joined: 06 Aug 2008
Posts: 4246

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

A significant part of the population believes the Bible specifically instructs them to hit their children, and will be skeptical of any evidence that suggests they should do otherwise.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MGuy
Prince


Joined: 21 Jul 2009
Posts: 3289
Location: Indiana

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

RobbyPants wrote:
A significant part of the population believes the Bible specifically instructs them to hit their children, and will be skeptical of any evidence that suggests they should do otherwise.
For me it was a legacy thing. I'd been subjected to it and so I didn't think twice about it until it didn't produce the results I desired. If it had worked, as many believe it does, I too wouldn't really take advice from others. I have gotten my sister to go with different methods over time but simply telling her what some study said would not have done the job. She still believes in corporal punishment but only saves it for more extreme cases of bad behavior. Her friend is as skeptical as she was but I don't interact with her as much. I'd be willing to believe that even the bible thumpers do it more out of tradition than faith.
_________________
The first rule of Fatclub. Don't Talk about Fatclub..
I've always thought it best to never hit a lady, but be sure to beat a bitch. -TOZ
MGuy wrote:
Finally a thread about fighters!


Last edited by MGuy on Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
Chamomile
Prince


Joined: 03 May 2011
Posts: 3717

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Most Bible-thumping is done out of tradition rather than faith. It's not like these people are pouring over their Bibles and following its teachings to the letter. They just have a few passages memorized which justify their continuing to do whatever they were already doing anyway.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 5788
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

OgreBattle wrote:
On Quora a bunch of folks are going "HAN SOLO IS BEST DAD HE DIE FOR GOODNESS" so I wrote my own hateful tirade on it:

https://www.quora.com/In-The-Force-Awakens-was-Spoiler-s-death-pathetic/answer/Andy-Lee-Chaisiri


_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 11862

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Honestly, in a universe where racism is totally acceptable because the races actually do have specific personalities that they all share and there exists a power source that turns all emotions into magical corruption that turns you into a monster, the best parenting is probably to smother your kids in their sleep.
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 11862

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Apparently Thrawn is being added to the New Star Wars Canon...

Good thing they reset the Canon, so they can rewrite the same material with worse authors. (Though I suppose if they rewrite Exar Kun(sp?) Sun Crusher, and Kyp Durron, I suppose I'll say "so they can rewrite the same material with better authors.")
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Mechalich
Knight-Baron


Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

They're actually mostly rewriting the canon with the exact same authors, at least in part. Disney axed the EU canon without bothering to fire most of the people who were actively contributing to it at that time. Meaning that instead of doing anything new and interesting and different, they're inevitably going to get a tired rehash. I knew this was going to happen when they axed the EU in the moronic way that they did.

What's the over/under on years until the OT reboot at this point? Twenty years? I think if someone gave me good odds I might go as low as fifteen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 11862

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mechalich wrote:
They're actually mostly rewriting the canon with the exact same authors, at least in part.


You know what, I was going to say, "Well they probably kept a bunch of the same authors and all, but in this case I'm specifically talking about how they are re-adding Thrawn without Timothy Zahn, who was the only guy who wrote him before, and whomever they have writing him now is probably worse."

But then I looked it up, and apparently TIMOTHY FUCKING ZAHN IS WRITING A BOOK/SERIES CALLED THRAWN TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR 2017!

WHAT THE FUCK?!

So yeah, literally the same content by the same people. Good thing they did that reboot aye?
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
maglag
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Apr 2015
Posts: 933

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Kaelik wrote:
Mechalich wrote:
They're actually mostly rewriting the canon with the exact same authors, at least in part.


You know what, I was going to say, "Well they probably kept a bunch of the same authors and all, but in this case I'm specifically talking about how they are re-adding Thrawn without Timothy Zahn, who was the only guy who wrote him before, and whomever they have writing him now is probably worse."

But then I looked it up, and apparently TIMOTHY FUCKING ZAHN IS WRITING A BOOK/SERIES CALLED THRAWN TENTATIVELY SCHEDULED FOR 2017!

WHAT THE FUCK?!

So yeah, literally the same content by the same people. Good thing they did that reboot aye?


The point of the reboot was that they could do whatever they wanted with the new movie without needing to check if it did not contradict any of the huge piles of shit around the EU.

Now the rewrites will need to make sure they fit with the movie and not the other way around.
_________________
FrankTrollman wrote:

Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Stahlseele
Prince


Joined: 14 Apr 2010
Posts: 4634
Location: Hamburg, Germany

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

And they are fucking with the movies too.
Appearantly several weeks of reshooting scenes for rogue one, because it was deemed too dark and not fun/kidfriendly enough . .
_________________
Welcome, to IronHell.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mechalich
Knight-Baron


Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maglag wrote:
The point of the reboot was that they could do whatever they wanted with the new movie without needing to check if it did not contradict any of the huge piles of shit around the EU.

Now the rewrites will need to make sure they fit with the movie and not the other way around.


That only works for Force Awakens though. Disney intends to make a Marvel-like quantity of new Star Wars films, and there is already new EU canon that, at least in theory the new movies will have to respect. For example, Rogue One has to interact with the Tarkin novel by James Luceno (a principle EU content manager who straddles both sides of the divide).

Every time one of the old authors makes something in the new EU they pull a giant pile of stuff out of the 'Legends' pile and into the new continuity, but doing so in a way that leaves everything unconfirmed. Mention a planet - now that planet exists again, does all the stuff that happened to be there before exist again? Nobody knows.

The actual merits of removing the old EU aside, Disney's approach to Star Wars continuity management - which is a thing that matters a lot to the people who actually buy Star Wars books and is therefore important if you're going to have books at all - has been shamefully bad from the start.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
maglag
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Apr 2015
Posts: 933

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I don't see what the complication is. If something has not been re-published, then it simply isn't part of the new continuity (yet).

Like when Lex Luthor gets rebooted in DC comics, it doesn't automatically mean he's gonna go around stealing forty cakes in a purple suit when nobody is looking.
_________________
FrankTrollman wrote:

Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RedstoneOrc
Apprentice


Joined: 24 Feb 2014
Posts: 96
Location: The Continental USA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Mechalich wrote:
Disney intends to make a Marvel-like quantity of new Star Wars films


Two Star Wars movies a year and Netflix shows galore? Can a man dream for so much and have it happen? The world says no but my heart hopes.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 11862

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maglag wrote:
I don't see what the complication is. If something has not been re-published, then it simply isn't part of the new continuity (yet).

Like when Lex Luthor gets rebooted in DC comics, it doesn't automatically mean he's gonna go around stealing forty cakes in a purple suit when nobody is looking.


His point is that by the time the third star wars movie comes out, there will be 20 new books that are now "canon" and the movie will still have to conform to the books.

And yes, it really does matter. There are certain things that make Lex Luthor Lex Luthor. If a Star Wars book or movie mentions Ukio, does that mean Ukio is a breadbasket world? Or does that mean it is a quantum Ukio that has no traits at all? And when it turns out 6 movies later, that Ukio is actually a gas giant, how the fuck does that effect the movie six movies ago?

The obvious answer that just like "Corporate enemy of Superman who uses brains and money to fight him" is essential to Lex Luthor, something is essential to everything, so when a movie mentions the name of a planet or people or species or technology, it means to inherit something from the EU Legends, or it wouldn't use the name at all. But what it means to inherit is completely unclear. For example, there is now a New Canon Kessel, and it doesn't inherit the lack of atmosphere of old Kessel. But it is still a planet that outputs spice using a thing called the Kessel Run. So even though the movies never explicitly say so, Han Solo is still a spice smuggler specifically, even though you could argue not from the movies.

But now the Kessel Run is, instead of a completely stupid path really close to black holes, a completely stupid series of weird jumps that involve dropping off cargo and picking it up midflight while turning, that is measured in distance because... well because some guy said parsec and now we have to pretend that makes sense (even if we don't).

But obviously, the Kessel Run had to inherit being a spice run for some reason, and so if they mention Ukio, it will be because they want to take something from some actual description of Ukio.
_________________
"DSMatticus" wrote:
Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
maglag
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 Apr 2015
Posts: 933

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

20 books is still a lot more manageable than the 200 or so produced before.

And ironically, Lex Luthor started as a mad "scientist" that used crazy experiments to try to earn money and supes just happened to get on his way (and occasionally trying to conquer the world/universe).

The second iteration of Lex Luthor was the evil corporate businessman that wasn't actually that smart. He hires scientists to do the thinking for him and then gets himself heavy radiation poisoning for not listening to their advice that using a ring of kryptonite for long periods may not be very healthy. Plus he's now completely obsessed with screwing over supes while original Luthor was in just for the money/power, things that the new Luthor throws away in spades to get to supes.

Point being that those two Luthors may as well be completely different characters just sharing the same name and looks. Later iterations mixed bits of both, basically creating a third Lex Luthor.

However using familiar names is a staple of storytelling. Lex Luthor indeed came to mean "supes nemesis". But if he's gonna pilot giant robots with death lasers that he built with his own sweat and blood or if he's gonna sit on a luxury apartment smoking and drinking while hiring an army of regular thugs to blackmail and politically manipulate supes, that's up to each reboot.

So yes, in the new Star Wars too they'll seek to use familiar names instead of trying to redo everything from scratch.
_________________
FrankTrollman wrote:

Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.


Last edited by maglag on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:18 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3280

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maglag wrote:
20 books is still a lot more manageable than the 200 or so produced before.

And ironically, Lex Luthor started as a mad "scientist" that used crazy experiments to try to earn money and supes just happened to get on his way (and occasionally trying to conquer the world/universe).

The second iteration of Lex Luthor was the evil corporate businessman that wasn't actually that smart. He hires scientists to do the thinking for him and then gets himself heavy radiation poisoning for not listening to their advice that using a ring of kryptonite for long periods may not be very healthy. Plus he's now completely obsessed with screwing over supes while original Luthor was in just for the money/power, things that the new Luthor throws away in spades to get to supes.

Point being that those two Luthors may as well be completely different characters just sharing the same name and looks. Later iterations mixed bits of both, basically creating a third Lex Luthor.

However using familiar names is a staple of storytelling. Lex Luthor indeed came to mean "supes nemesis". But if he's gonna pilot giant robots with death lasers that he built with his own sweat and blood or if he's gonna sit on a luxury apartment smoking and drinking while hiring an army of regular thugs to blackmail and politically manipulate supes, that's up to each reboot.

So yes, in the new Star Wars too they'll seek to use familiar names instead of trying to redo everything from scratch.


Current Lex Luthor is a member of the Justice League who thinks that Superman is an idiot but worked pretty well with him, and took up his mantle after he died.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mechalich
Knight-Baron


Joined: 04 Nov 2015
Posts: 572

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

maglag wrote:
20 books is still a lot more manageable than the 200 or so produced before.


Not necessarily. The actual quantity of content is largely irrelevant because, in a universe as massive as Star Wars most of it won't ever interact with anything else, but a small percentage will, and that percentage will be important.

The thing is, prior to the Disney reboot, the continuity people had figured out all the thorny issued with material produced from 1983-2014. They'd made two largely comprehensive reference books: The Essential Atlas and The Essential Guide to Warfare that had put the continuity of Star Wars on the firmest ground that it had ever possessed. Then Disney chose to axe it in the messiest way possible and they took no steps whatsoever to insure that the same problem wouldn't simply accumulate over time, which of course it will. That has already happened before, with the EU expanding exponentially in size with the release of the Prequels (and if Disney gives in to fan pressure and makes SWTOR canon again, then they're well and truly screwed because that one source is larger than everything in the previous legends EU put together and also includes pretty much every single historical plot point ever produced in the legends continuity.).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
hyzmarca
Prince


Joined: 14 Mar 2011
Posts: 3280

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Doing post-Return movies meant dropping the post-Return EU continuity. That was an inevitability. The same thing would have been necessary if Lucas made the sequels. That's the reason they axed it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Occluded Sun
Knight-Baron


Joined: 02 May 2014
Posts: 925

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Not to mention that the sole purpose of the Extended Universe was to get money out of fans. If they have any reason to abolish and then re-establish canonical setting information, making lots of money in the process, why wouldn't they take it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> MPSIMS All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
Page 9 of 9

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group