[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 64(?)-Night of the Necromancer

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Who do we want to play as?

Anvus Ravalan, Nightsbane & Remorseless Hunter
No votes
Evrain Peredur, the Zombie Killer
17%
Isolde Laodegan, Shield Maiden of Libra
83%
Create our own character
No votes

Total votes: 6

angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I do. There's no telling if this specific weapon is going to be the key to an otherwise arbitrary endpoint.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Also, there was a lot of stuff to get past to get to the scythe. It's probably worth taking.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Besides, Marrok can sell it once we're done with his body. Grab it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

As you approach the statue to claim the grim blade, the Spirit Door slams shut behind you with a resounding boom. As the echo fades away a new sound reaches your ears, that of bony feet and hands scratching at the stone-flagged floor of the chamber. Spotting movement out of the corner of your eye, you snap your head round and see a tiny imp-like creature, wearing a coarse sackcloth robe and wielding a tiny scythe in its sharp-clawed hands emerge from behind the statue. It is only the first of many. If you are going to claim the Amethyst Blade as your own, or even just escape from this chamber in one piece, you are going to have to fight the invidious Deathlings.

First DEATHLING SKILL 6 STAMINA 3
Second DEATHLING SKILL 6 STAMINA 2
Third DEATHLING SKILL 5 STAMINA 3
Fourth DEATHLING SKILL 6 STAMINA 4
Fifth DEATHLING SKILL 6 STAMINA 3
Sixth DEATHLING SKILL 7 STAMINA 2

Fight the Deathlings three at a time. You will soon discover that whether you are in your ethereal form or a borrowed body, the imps' scythes are just as effective against incorporeal creatures as they are against flesh, bone or metal. If the Deathlings really are the death of you, write the number 154 on your Adventure Sheet and turn to 100. If you manage to defeat them all, however, you are able to take the Amethyst Blade without further hindrance and quickly leave the room before anything else unpleasant can crawl out of the stonework and attack.
The name and appearance are a little ambiguous, so I'm not sure whether we can count them as undead. I'll treat them as normal opponents (but at least they're weak enough that we probably don't need that advantage).

COMBAT LOG:
First Deathling 9, Isolde (Marrok) 22. FD is at 1.
Second Deathling 16, Isolde (Marrok) 17. Marrok evades attack.
Third Deathling 6, Isolde (Marrok) 21. Marrok evades attack.
FD 9, Isolde (Marrok) 15. FD is killed.
SD 11, Isolde (Marrok) 21. Marrok evades attack.
TD 15, Isolde (Marrok) 14. Marrok is at 18.
SD 15, Isolde (Marrok) 21. SD is killed.
TD 15, Isolde (Marrok) 20. Marrok evades attack.
Fourth Deathling 16, Isolde (Marrok) 22. Marrok evades attack.
TD 12, Isolde (Marrok) 22. TD is at 1.
4th Deathling 12, Isolde (Marrok) 14. Marrok evades attack.
5th Deathling 11, Isolde (Marrok) 22. Marrok evades attack.
TD 10, Isolde (Marrok) 17. TD is killed.
4th Deathling 11, Isolde (Marrok) 17. Marrok evades attack.
5th Deathling 10, Isolde (Marrok) 23. Marrok evades attack.
4D 15, Isolde (Marrok) 16. 4D is at 2.
5D 10, Isolde (Marrok) 23. Marrok evades attack.
6th Deathling 15, Isolde (Marrok) 15. Tie.
4D 8, Isolde (Marrok) 21. 4D is killed.
5D 13, Isolde (Marrok) 21. Marrok evades attack.
6D 14, Isolde (Marrok) 14. Tie.
5D 9, Isolde (Marrok) 20. 5D is at 1.
5D 14, Isolde (Marrok) 21. Marrok evades attack.
5D 13, Isolde (Marrok) 18. 5D is killed.
6D 15, Isolde (Marrok) 22. Marrok evades attack.
6D 12, Isolde (Marrok) 14. 6D is killed.
One of the pesky things actually gave us a scratch, but Marrok took care of this without much problems! The Amethyst Blade does seem to give any particular combat bonus though, so I guess we'd keep using Nightslayer until we find the appropriate time to put that scythe to use.
The passageway ends at the sturdy oak door but someone has been careless, and left it open. Passing through into the chamber beyond you are hit first by the size of the space and secondly by the absolutely appalling smell. The room, if it can be called that, is at least thirty feet long, its high ceiling supported by crumbling pillars ten metres tall. Burning braziers illuminate the vast vaulted space also allowing you to see the pool that lies at its centre. In fact, this pool looks more like a vast sewer.

The pool crosses the chamber from one side to the other without leaving so much as a ledge for you to skirt round it. And it is no wonder that such a disgusting stench fills the chamber. The pool is filled with a stomach-turning soup of putrefying flesh and worse. Amidst puddles of foaming bile you see leg bones, skulls, ribcage and calcified hands poking above the surface. Looking at the pool you have no idea how deep it could be, but there is a way across it. One of the pillars that once helped support the roof now lies across its width, forming huge stepping stones across the middle of the pool.

On the other side of the vile pool of putrescence another tunnel leads away from this chamber, deeper underground, but this exit is blocked by a spiked iron gate cast with a grinning demonic face. You will obviously need to cross the pool to proceed any further and find your nemesis, but by what means? Will you:

Use the Spirit special ability (if you have it)?
Cross by means of the broken pillar?
Step into the pool in the hope that you can wade across it?
Attempt to leap across to the other side?
We never learned to fly, but even if we did it wouldn't have worked for Marrok. So......use the convenient bridge? Get this body wet? Or just jump?
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

I'm guessing one of these options is good, one is really bad and one is somewhere in between, but I can see how any of them can fill any of the roles. I vote to use the bridge.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

This stuff is almost certainly going to kill us if we go into it and I doubt we can make a 30' jump. Try the pillar.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

I vote for jumping, it's probably a skill test and our hero(ine) is pretty good at that, in particular with the shiny new shield that'll help jump further!

I bet going across the pillar would result into some kind of luck test (it starts to crumble midway!), and that water just seems bad news.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Cautiously, you step out onto the broken column spanning the putrid pool. If your ethereal form you easily make it across the other side without anything untoward occurring. If you re inhabiting a physical body you must Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you also make it safely to the other side, but if you are Unlucky, one of the broken pieces of column tips under your weight, sending you stumbling into the foul pool.
Indeed, a Luck test!
And yes, maglag was spot-on in his analysis.
Dice roll = 6 (Lucky!)
And so you stand before the barbed iron gate, cast with a leering demon's face. It is too heavy for you to lift and is even resistant to ethereal methods of entry. There is only one thing that will cause the gate to open as it tells you with relish, in a gurgling growl of delight: 'Flesssshhh!'

If you have some Ironbane and want to try that on the gate, turn to 68. If you have the codeword Revenant or Host recorded on your Adventure Sheet and you are willing to make an offering of your own flesh to the Demon Gate, turn 438. If you have the codeword Armoured written on your Adventure Sheet or you have one of the other two but do not want to offer up yourself to the blood-thirsty portal, turn to 24. If you have none of these codewords currently written down, turn to 197.
We already took some liberties with our crusader friend by borrowing his body without permission.....now do we want to take more liberties by sacrificing some of his flesh?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Well, that was lucky indeed.

If flesh is really the only way it opens then we have to be a dick and make our old friend self-mutilate. So let's do exactly that.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

There's got to be a way for Armoured to get through. I'd prefer to see what that is rather than sacrificing bits of Marrok to weird gates. Let's refuse.
maglag
Duke

Post by maglag »

Ruthlessly refuse. Bet the gate is hungry and will jump at us since we have a delicious, tasty body right there, resulting in a battle.
Last edited by maglag on Mon Feb 22, 2016 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FrankTrollman wrote: Actually, our blood banking system is set up exactly the way you'd want it to be if you were a secret vampire conspiracy.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Yeah, eat a barrel of cocks, door. Not ours, though, we like it.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

MisterDee wrote:Yeah, eat a barrel of cocks, door. Not ours, though, we like it.
Except Isolde doesn't have one (I hope!). :tongue:

And if you were referring to Marrok's, I'm not sure Isolde would appreciate that remark either!
Whether you are unwilling or unable to subject your physical form to the Demon Gate's demands, you still need to source flesh and blood from somewhere. But where are you going to find an offering of flesh for the gate down here? You could retrace your steps through the dungeon but that would take time, and time is something you do not have. And then the answer strikes you - the putrescent pool! It is full of decomposing flesh!

Not relishing the necessity of what you are about to do, you approach the edge of the pit. You scoop a handful of the green-black slime from the pool and are horrified to see it start to eat away at your gauntlet hand. (Lose 2 STAMINA points and 1 SKILL point, for as long as you remain in this metal body.) The surface of the pool suddenly heaves and something truly awful rises from its depths.
Ewwww......

Thing is....we don't have a metal body. The book seems to have forgotten that it's possible for players to refuse to use their own flesh even if they have some.

I'm not too sure whether we should still take the stat penalty.....I've deducted the stats, but if most of you object to that, I'll restore them.
You are frozen into inaction as something truly grotesque rises from the filth of the pool. In form it is nothing more than a gigantic worm-like shape but formed entirely from a gelatinous necrotic jelly which, you soon realize, is the rendered remains of the corpses that have been festering in the pit. Suspended inside the rippling, jelly-like body are the bones of the creatures that ended up here, which give it a vague internal skeletal structure. Where you imagine its head is supposed to be is a jawless human skull. Moving with peristaltic convulsions, its body rippling like some gigantic slug, the Necros oozes towards you, leaving a trail of acidic slime in its wake.

You are going to have to face this new undead horror in battle, but how will you choose to defend yourself? If you have the Oil of Midnight with you and want to use that, turn to 280. If you do not have this particular item then you have no choice but to draw your weapon, or you could try to fight it using one of the burning brands that light the chamber.
How do we fight it?
Last edited by SGamerz on Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

If this things "home", or nest, is that bad for us, I bet that this thing's attacks will probably totally ruin us. This does feel like a good time to use the Hidey Potion.

Besides, it's not like we're likely to get any good loot from this; nor that killing monsters in a Fighting Fantasy game nets any increase in power (by default that is).
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Blue option.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Unstoppering the flask of oil you hurl it at the Necros. Vicious black fluid splashes over the repulsively rippling gelatinous body but it does nothing to slow the monster's advance. But oil is highly flammable. Grabbing a burning brand from a wall-bracket you hurl that after the oil onto the back of the Necros. The highly combustible oil bursts into flame with a satisfying roar and the undead horror emits a high-pitched scream as it begins to burn.
In its final death-throes, the Necros' body spasms and it rises to its full height before crashing down across the stone-flagged floor on the far side of the spiked gate with the leering demon's face. A feral voice that you realize is coming from the gate itself gurgles one word in gleeful satisfaction: 'Flesssshhh!'

Its spikes draped with gore, the gates grinds open. Not wanting to spend another moment in this gruesome chamber, you hurry through it.
It's certainly not a picky eater!
Beyond the Demon Gate you descend another flight of steps and enter a rock-cut tunnel that is shored up with the ribs bones of some great creature - a Bullwhale perhaps - so that it feels as if you are walking down the gullet of some rapacious behemoth. But eventually this ends too and you find yourself entering a near-spherical underground cavern. Ahead of you, across a narrow stone causeway, stands a column of rock upon which rests a circular gateway of black stone. Surrounding the column is a fiery pit, the hungry flames filling the cavern with an infernal glow. You are certain that you have reached the deepest part of the dungeon now but there is no sign of the villain you have been pursuing. The only figure present is a large, rotting corpse, standing beside the black gate, wearing ancient rusted armour and carrying a skull-headed mace - a potent weapon against both the living and the dead. Somehow you know that to find your nemesis you must pass through the gate - wherever it may take you - but to earn that right, you are going to have to battle the gruesome Gatekeeper first. Stepping onto the bridge you prepare to meet your destiny.

GATEKEEPER SKILL 10 STAMINA 10

If the Gatekeeper wounds you, roll one die. If you roll a 6, turn to 216 immediately. If you roll any other number, right on. If you manage to best the Gatekeeper, turn to 309. If the Gatekeeper vanquishes you in battle and your spirit-form is destroyed, write the number 309 on your Adventure Sheet and turn to 100.
That sounds sufficiently undead to me, so Nightslayer gets its bonus!

COMAT LOG:
Gatekeeper 17, Isolde (Marrok) 19. Gatekeeper is at 7.
Gatekeeper 18, Isolde (Marrok) 18. Tie.
Gatekeeper 21, Isolde (Marrok) 20. Isolde then rolls 2 and avoids some unknown special effect. Marrok is at 14.
Gatekeeper 18, Isolde (Marrok) 20. Gatekeeper is at 4.
Gatekeeper 14, Isolde (Marrok) 17. Gatekeeper is at 1.
Gatekeeper 17, Isolde (Marrok) 13. Isolde then rolls 1 and avoids some unknown special effect. Marrok is at 12.
Gatekeeper 13, Isolde (Marrok) 19. Gatekeeper is destroyed.
And so you step up to the forbidding gateway. Within the circle of black stone is a whirling vortex of starlight and some sixth sense tells you that your destiny lies beyond it. Taking your courage in both hands, you step through it...

You emerge on a windswept hillside overlooking a circle of nine standing stones. But that is not all you can see before you. At the end of the headland jutting out into the cold, dark Diamond Sea ahead of you, stands Valsinore Castle. The magical gateway has transported you to virtually the very spot where the drama of this night's unfolding adventure began. Not far away lies the moorland road where you were struck down by the murdering band and the cruel-hearted Death Acolyte. And here you are again, as Chamberlain Unthank prepares to bring his evil plans to fruition. But what are they exactly?

Looking out across the wind-blasted heather you can see the traitorous necromancer standing before the altar stone of the Nine Maidens. He is clad in black and holding an obsidian dagger in both hands over the body of the sacrificial victim that has been bound to the stone with glowing chains of magical power - your sister, the Lady Oriana!

Standing within the ring of standing stones, forming a second circle around the altar, are the members of Unthank's death cult. There are five black-clad acolytes, three Dead Knights of the Order of the Black Shroud, and four faceless shadow-born creatures, trailing smoky tendrils, with claws formed of impenetrable darkness. With the necromancer that makes thirteen - a full coven.

Everything about the scene before you gives the impression that the ritual being enacted here is approaching its climax. It is then that the moonlight itself fails and fades. Looking up at the cloudless heavens you see a dark shadow fall across the face of the moon, as a lunar eclipse plunges the world into total darkness. You can't shake the feeling that this darkness could well last longer than the duration of the eclipse if something isn't done to stop Unthank and his death cult. Do you want to rush to attack the necromancer and save your sister from certain death, or will you fight every instinct that tells you to do otherwise and take your time to consider your actions more carefully?
Charge in now?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Think things over.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

Think... and nomnomnomnom. (in fact, if we've gone through several sections, retroactively eat to bring us closer to full)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Oh, right. Agreed.
Judging__Eagle
Prince

Post by Judging__Eagle »

There's a full Coven of 13 cultists, monsters and dread warriors. We need to figure out a plan in order to stop their ritual. We need to feed our stamina to full.

Too bad... we can't unpossess our friend, who would not turn their back on all of those monsters.. Plus two people would be better than one; and we could use our ghost powers to potentially haunt/possess Unthank directly.
Last edited by Judging__Eagle on Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
The Gaming Den; where Mathematics are rigorously applied to Mythology.

While everyone's Philosophy is not in accord, that doesn't mean we're not on board.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Although we've been through 4 section, there was only one section after the last combat, so we'll eat one meal, STAMINA back to 16.
Certain that the ritual is at its height, if you don't act quickly you will forfeit your sister's life. But what can you do to disrupt the blasphemous rite? Will you:

Try to penetrate the stone circle by stealth?
Use a Jet Amulet (if you have one)?
Use a Spirit Stone (if you have one)?

Use the Codex Mortis (if you have it)?
There's no combat in this section either, so down goes another meal....STAMINA to 20!

Alas, we only have one of the three items listed. Do we want to use the "evil" book of magic?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Isolde Laodegan
SKILL: 12/12 (Host: 11/12)
STAMINA: 19/19 (Host: 20/22)
LUCK: 6/7
WILL: 13
Equipment: Deathsbane, Nightslayer (does 3 STAMINA damage on Undead), Velvet Purse (worth 6 GP), Potion of Fortune (restire LUCK to full), Potion of Strength (restore STAMINA to full), Codex Mortis, Soul Shield (+1 SKILL), Amethyst Blade
Abilities: Apparition, Poltergeist, Shade, Spook, Fizzgig the Homunculus (2 uses out of 4 following spells: Banish Undead, Luck, Skill, Strength)
Codewords: Ironheart, Barking, Best Friend, Steed, Gateway, Devourer, Rest In Peace, Banshee, Catacombs, Watcher, Host, Hellfire
Provisions: 3 Meals (+4 STAMINA each)

Note: When fighting opponents with physical forms, opponents' Attack Strength is reduced by one while Korzen ("Best Friend") is with us.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

Go mad with dark power, then use ebil book.
MisterDee
Knight-Baron

Post by MisterDee »

The Codex should give us, at the very least, a nice game over.

Read the book.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I think the Codex is more likely to work than just trying to enter the magic circle. See if it has a "Dark Arts for Dummies" section.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

I assume the three items are designed to be (almost?) mutually exclusive, thus, not having anything is the loser's option, and any of the three is better than that (although effects may vary to add REPLAY VALUE!!!). Evil book.