Poke-dominion the card game

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

OgreBattle
King

Poke-dominion the card game

Post by OgreBattle »

So Dominion is a deck building game and that's all I know about it but it seems like that "players build from a shared resource" playstyle would fit a "Catch Pokemon in the wild and train them" kind of deck building pokemon card game.

Would Dominion be a good fit, or are there other games better suited for this.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

You probably want to go closer to Ascension or Legendary, the two-resource variants. You use Catch cards to buy Pokemon cards, then play those Pokemon cards to buy Gym Badge cards.
K
King

Post by K »

Star Realms is probably the best game with a mechanic of this type.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Dominion is to deckbuilders what D&D is to ttrpgs. It came along first and has the most recognition and largest number of players, no two play groups use the exact same set of expansions when playing the game, and for designing new games you are better off picking something else as your starting point.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Dean
Duke

Post by Dean »

K wrote:Star Realms is probably the best game with a mechanic of this type.
This. Star realms is the best possible version of this and is an incredible game. Games are short, tactically interesting, and different every time. It seems highly mappable to a pokemon theme.
DSMatticus wrote:Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you, fuck you. I am filled with an unfathomable hatred.
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Star Realms is quite possibly the best introductory deckbuilder out there, but I'm not entirely sure if I'd use it for a Pokemon theme or if I'd want to go with something a bit more complex:

Pokemon generally have three areas:

Capturing - this does map very nicely to something like Star Realms's Trade Row, where which Pokemons are available changes throughout the game.

Tactical one on one poke-battles. This would take some effort, but could possibly be mapped onto something close to Star Realms's bases and outposts setup. You would have an active pokemon in a single "outpost" slot, and they would stay until swapped out or defeated by your opponent's Active Pokemon. You would then have other Pokemon on your team waiting in non-outpost base slots, where they can take damage that gets past your Active pokemon. Of course, with the Star Realms model, there would have to be an allowance for Pokemon to damage opposing trainers in some way - which doesn't really reflect the source material. So maybe handle that as forced discard or something rather than as hit point ("Authority") damage.

Training and coaching of Pokemon. If you're going with Star Realms, this has to be mapped onto the non-persistent ships cards. So you would play cards that would give your Active or Team-in-Reserve Pokemon bonuses for a single turn or allow use of particular moves for that turn.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

It seems like if the deck you're trying to build is Pokemon, then you basically go with a "Gotta Catch Them All" win condition, and stick to the original 150, or just a "whoever has the most when [condition is met] wins" and throw in whichever pokemon you feel like. Either option in "Literally try to catch everything, but you can't have Sableye" or "You can have Sableye, but you're just trying to catch more than anyone else" is less than satisfying to me, so what about making the major goal be Gym Badges?
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Zaranthan
Knight-Baron

Post by Zaranthan »

Gym Badges as victory points sounds like a more satisfying game than just the standard points race. Also, you can then put in mechanics that encourage players to release pokemon rather than letting them keep track of 151 tokens. (If having a hundred pokemon is a good strategy, everyone will do it and the game sucks. If it's a bad strategy, then only newbies will do it, and they'll get frustrated and quit playing.)
Last edited by Zaranthan on Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.