Tempo RPG: an experimental med-crunch system based on cards!

The homebrew forum

Moderator: Moderators

upogsi
NPC

Tempo RPG: an experimental med-crunch system based on cards!

Post by upogsi »

Google Docs Link:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1E4X ... sp=sharing

PDF Link: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By8-wg ... sp=sharing

Tempo RPG is my attempt to make a game that pushes characters to take risks and push their luck as a team, and grow and change as a result. It is also an attempt to use a deck of cards as a core resolution mechanic. Here is the bullet point summary:
  • - Generic med-crunch system I want to get the mechanics and feel down before I bring in setting details.

- Core mechanic: play x cards from your deck, pick one and adding bonuses. Additional cards from your check can be pitched for bonus effects.

- Keep it simple I tried to make character creation easy and quick, and cognitive load during gameplay low. Complexity should increase as you advance. not hammer you all at once.

- Changing Characters Characters are defined by traits,adjectives and backgrounds that are improved or changed during the game.

- Group Character Sheet keeps track of things everyone needs to know, has group features and advances with the characters.

- Abstract stress/trauma system encourages tension and pushing your luck.

Progress
  • - I have done: The core rules and mechanics, Character creation, group creation advancement system for traits in game a decent and coherent math base and basic gameplay

- I still need: Mechanical Character Abilities, classes/archetypes/bundles, Full GM section, Editing and proofreading, Between-session advancement

So long story short,the document and pdf links are above. It is 20 pages, with plenty of whitespace.
  • - What do you like about it? What should be changed? What do you want to see more of?
    - To you, is this project worth continuing?
    - I am an unemployed student with no money. If this project is worth continuing, what should I do from here?
This entire thing has been a massive learning experience and I would really love any questions, comments, feedback or criticism.
upogsi
NPC

Post by upogsi »

If it helps, here is a sample character made by a playtester. Note that the mechanical abilities aren't done yet, as I really want to nail the core before branching into that.
Old McGee
Mind 2, Voice 3, Body 1
Attributes: Manipulative, Adaptable, Slow
Backgrounds: Used-Car Salesman, Half-Orc
Traits:
- Wants to prove himself to his parents by succeeding in business
- Owes debts to the mafia from business loan.
- Would do anything for his daughter
- Pulls cars for Exercise