42%
Human
26%

Total votes: 19

JonSetanta
King

SC Brood Wars problems

Post by JonSetanta »

OK so I played Starcraft for years, maybe too many years, thousands of game sessions, and finally stopped when I saw a documentary on video games briefly showing Korean kids playing in a cafe.
I thought, "were these my opponents all along? Ten year olds?" and promptly gave up.
None of my IRL friends played so I was alone.

Then I switched computers to a Windows 7 laptop.

I thought, "Maybe I should play for nostalgia".
I re-installed due to registry errors, game worked fine, except... it's in rainbow colors, splashed with cyan. Apparently this is an incompatibility issue with Windows 7. How do I correct this? Which emulation do I have to click?

And no one is on the BattleNet servers.

Maybe it's time to switch to Starcraft 2...
Chamomile
Prince

Post by Chamomile »

GreatGreyShrike
Master

Post by GreatGreyShrike »

The cyan/rainbow is a problem that fixes itself if you kill explorer.exe before starting SC2

I have a batch file that looks like this for my Win7 x64 (may have to be modified if you are running 32-bit):
taskkill /F /IM explorer.exe
start /wait C:/"Program Files"/"StarCraft"/"StarCraft.exe"
start explorer.exe
Create a .txt text file with Notepad, put that in the file, change the extension to .bat and run it.

This kills explorer, starts SC, and when you are done SC it restarts explorer.exe

As for opponents... yeah, it seems pretty dead. Not sure how lively SC2 is, but IIRC the newest expansion just came out so it's probably as good as it ever gets.
Last edited by GreatGreyShrike on Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JonSetanta
King

Post by JonSetanta »

Thanks folks