Identity Politics and Representation in Comics

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

CaptainComics wrote:I absolutely had to register and add my two cents for this particular topic. I am a huge comics fan and I have been for a long time. A lot of the information in this thread seems to be the kind of thing people pick up from Wikipedia, which is factually accurate but lacks nuance. Sorry if this makes me the "um, actually..." guy, especially for my first post here.
Wow, an apology. You really must be new here, the more acceptable etiquette is generally buckets of profanity ;)

Seriously, thanks for your perspective.

You're right in that I am not part of the target market for today's comics, and I am therefore uninformed about these particular incarnations of the characters. But I did read a lot of Marvel way back when I was growing up and Devil Dinosaur still roamed the shelves, so I'm going to talk about similar character transitions back in those days, because I can't help but see parallels.

In the early 80s, Tony Stark lapsed into alcoholism and Jim Rhodes took over as Iron Man for several years, including the franchising of the West Coast Avengers and the original Secret Wars. Like most lengthy marvel runs, this certainly had some silly stories and off notes, but by and large it worked. However what worked better was Stark's recovery and return leading to first rivalry, then reconciliation and Rhodes eventually getting the now-iconinc War Machine Armor as his own.

The 70s also saw the death of Mar-Vell and 1982 had Monica Rambaeu "accidentally" co-opt the name Captain Marvel. And while there was rather a lot of silliness in that era of the Avengers, the character by and large worked as a distinct identity with a somewhat different powerset than their previous character of that name.

And while I'm talking about Captain Marvel in the 70s, I also have to point to Carol Danvers. The original Ms. Marvel was both a blatant attempt to cash in on a big culture wars issue of the times and full of slop-hokey writing that's painful to reread. In the early issues, Carol transformed accidentally and couldn't even remember her superheroic adventures. That's sloppy and happened years before the big Rape issue and Claremont's attempts to retcon things so that kids would realize "Rape is Bad, mmmkay". Moving past that, she was sufficiently Claremonted that I can't even explain her transitions from Binary to Warbird to Ms. Marvel, and say only that her taking on the name of Captain Marvel as homage to Mar-Vell should probably have happened a decade or two earlier than it did.

And when Carol Danvers finally did that, it left the Ms. Marvel name free for Kamela Khan to take. And while everyone agrees the Kamela Khan's stories have been (at least mostly) awesome, it's interesting to note that a young female character taking up the superheroic mantle of an older female superheroine is really rare in comics. While my knowledge is incomplete, I cannot think of a single other case in Marvel Comics. For comparison: Sam Wilson is at least the fourth dude to become Captain America, while the Hulk and Spider-Man each have multiple official rule 63 variant characters in the main continuity. Heck, the Rule 63 version of The Thing was *also* briefly Ms. Marvel, so while it's apparently okay for multiple people of either gender to emulate accomplished male heroes, Ms. Marvel is the only female legacy worth emulating in marvel's main continuity.

Moving on, there's another iconic 70s Marvel character who is took the name of a previous white character:
The white guy villain used the name first.

It's interesting to me that the villain is minor comics trivia while the hero is still going strong enough to get his own TV series next year. Especially when Power Man was a blatant attempt to cash in on the popularity Blaxploitation films that shifted into a pastiche of race/buddy flicks with the addition of Iron Fist - and was wonderfully hokey throughout the entire run.

PS: There in addition to the other comics thread is also the other other thread about recasting Thor and Cap as different race / gender
Last edited by Josh_Kablack on Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I really didn't like Gail Simone's Barbara Gordon Batgirl, precisely because she spends so much time freezing up and having PTSD. I know we're supposed to regard Gail Simone as some kind of feminist icon or something, but I found her Barbara Gordon to be a whiny coward. I think maybe I was supposed to hang in for the long haul for some sort of strength in adversity payoff, but I was out in a few issues. We got rid of Stephanie Brown Batgirl and Oracle to get that bundle of fears and tears? Fuck. Off.

Anyway, on the Ultimates issue, Ultimate Marvel was mostly bad. There was a lot of change for change's sake, and I would say only about a third of the changes were actually good. The point everyone agrees that it's bad is Ultimatum, but I would argue that it's basically kinda shitty all the way through. For every really positive change (and there are a lot of them, to be fair), there's another change that just leaves you asking "Why?" and another change that is actively bad.

I'm kinda glad in hindsight that Ultimates happened, because it gave a bunch of extra canon versions of things for Marvel movies to sift through. I'm quite happy that Nick Fury in the movies was Sam Jackson and not David Hasselhoff.

-Username17
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

I will say that there is basically no way anything involving new minority characters could possibly be as insulting and dumb as that thing which traumatized Lago.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

On the Batgirl cover- I recognized the reference, I appreciated the reference, but I objected to the characterization of Batgirl for the cover (has Barbara ever been the type to react with paralyzed ugly-sob fear to danger?). I understood both sides of the fray, but given that the "Pro-Cover" side was basically "THESE DAMNED ESS JAY DOUBLE YOUS ARE CENSORING US! MENS RIGHTS! MENS RIGHTS! IMMA GO RAPE SOMEONE TO PROVE IM NOT A RAPIST" fedora wearing shitheels... I was not inclined to actually take their side.
Okay let's put the straw-man away. Not everyone who objected to the cover were that. I have friends, big comic book fans, that wanted that cover to stay. So you not agreeing because of who they were is a poor way of thinking.
Like I said, I appreciated the reference, and I think it's a killer idea for a cover, if Batgirl had not been drawn so out of character, and it was a variant, and it could have been (and probably would have been, at least going by the shop I worked at) kept behind the counter, and yeah,

It was a variant cover.

it started with someone taking their triggers and trying to influence a publishing company based on what they personally found psychologically distressing, but at the end of the day, it was the artist who suggested it not be printed, and basically the whole thing couldn't have been further from censorship.
Self censorship is still censorship. Now, not all censorship is bad. A parent not letting their child watch a rated R movie for example.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Sacrificial Lamb
Apprentice

Post by Sacrificial Lamb »

I haven't purchased comics in many years, due to disgust over the obnoxiously obvious identity politics in mainstream comics. Marvel and DC are progressive cesspools, cynically pandering to social justice warriors and Tumblrites.....so I just don't feel comfortable giving my money to people focusing on perpetuating a radical political agenda.

These companies struggle to create new minority characters that readers actually care about, so they cynically pander to the SJWs by REPLACING the original "cis white male" (how I hate that bullshit pseudointellectual term) character with a minority character. A few examples of strong white straight males superheroes, made into.....something else:

* Hawkeye (female Hawkeye introduced, do they give her a unique code name and superhero identity of her own? NO.)
* Wally West (retconned, and made into a delinquent black kid after decades of character development as a white male)
* Orion (no longer the manly and craggy warrior of before, now comes across as a sexist college fratboy, as the stereotypical meathead football jock; he is an utter travesty of Jack Kirby's original character)
* Captain America (made black, and made obnoxious)
* Spiderman (made black, and Hispanic)
* Thor (Thor has boobs now; made female under the dumbest and most obnoxious feminist story line ever, and is so obviously intended to appeal to asshole progressive feminist SJWs who blatantly want to troll "cisgendered" white males)
* Jimmy Olsen (on the Supergirl TV show; Jimmy is now a 6' 4" tall muscular black guy in his 30's, seducing the show's protagonist....instead of the young, red-haired white guy he always has been previously)
* Henshaw (on the Supergirl TV show; in the comics he was white and was the evil Cyborg Superman; he originally gained his powers in a cosmic accident that paralleled what happened to the Fantastic Four, now he's inexplicably black because.....reasons)
* Nick Fury (I used to like the Ultimates version of Fury, because he wasn't a replacement of original white Nick Fury; now the Nick Fury character is being "blackwashed", even though the original white Nick Fury has a different appearance, different personality, and is MORE INTERESTING than the Samuel L Jackson version)
* Johnny Storm (in the Fantastic Four movie; he's made black, even though he's explicitly a white character)
* Lobo (no longer the UBER-MASCULINE "Biker From Hell", now he looks like "Emo Boy")
* Green Lantern (the original Green Lantern, Alan Scott.....is now homosexual. Why? Because SJWs scream loudest.)
* Ms. Marvel (not male like the others, but still relevant; Marvel created a new Muslim version of the character; I am ideologically opposed to Islam....for many reasons, so even if I like her as a character....I reject giving Muslims unearned legitimacy, considering how cruelly dangerous so many of them are in the modern world)

I am deeply tired of this politically "progressive" social justice warrior horseshit. I don't want this obnoxious identity politics PROPOGANDA in the comics that I buy, so I have refused to reward the "Big Two" companies with my money for many years now.

I originally stopped purchasing comics after the "Civil War" comics event, and "Death of Captain America" storyline, because it was more bullshit politics making an indirect negative statement about the American government (and their political policies)....and obnoxiously injecting itself into one of my favorite pastimes. Back then, I didn't want to be reminded of the injustices of the Bush administration, but Marvel insisted that I think about this shit....ALL THE TIME, by making superheroes behave OUT-OF-CHARACTER for the purpose of perpetuating a comics event blatantly influenced by the writer's perception of American politics. I used to read comics to avoid that political bullshit, but now it's EVERYWHERE within the comic book medium.

And you know what alienates me even more? If I object to this identity politics crap in any way, and refuse to reward companies with my money (when they replace white straight male legacy characters with minorities, in a cynical attempt to pander to "progressive" SJWs).....I am labeled as a misogynistic, homophobic, transphobic, neckbearded, overprivileged, narrow-minded, "cisgendered" white male BIGOT.

So, yes. I just don't feel welcome in the comic book hobby or industry any more. The "progressive" SJWs have made the comic book hobby and industry into an emotionally toxic environment, and "shitlords" like me no longer have a place in mainstream comics.

So I stopped buying comic books.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sacrificial Lamb wrote:So, yes. I just don't feel welcome in the comic book hobby or industry any more. The "progressive" SJWs have made the comic book hobby and industry into an emotionally toxic environment, and "shitlords" like me no longer have a place in mainstream comics.
Sacrificial Lamb, I believe I speak for "SJWs" everywhere who are fucking tired of having our basic right to exist and be represented in the media we consume refused us when I say- Good. Now go fuck yourself.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

Dorks:“If you want more representation in games and comics, then MAKE YOUR OWN!”
Marginalized Dorks:*Creates media with strong female characters, LGBTQ leads, disabled characters, and diverse casts of PoC”
Dorks:“OMG What is this “politically correct” social justice feminazi bullshit!!!!?!? Stop FORCING diversity!!!”
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Josh_Kablack
King

Post by Josh_Kablack »

Sacrificial Lamb wrote: I am ideologically opposed to Islam....for many reasons, so even if I like her as a character....I reject giving Muslims unearned legitimacy, considering how cruelly dangerous so many of them are in the modern world)
:shocked:
"But transportation issues are social-justice issues. The toll of bad transit policies and worse infrastructure—trains and buses that don’t run well and badly serve low-income neighborhoods, vehicular traffic that pollutes the environment and endangers the lives of cyclists and pedestrians—is borne disproportionately by black and brown communities."
Sacrificial Lamb
Apprentice

Prak wrote:
Sacrificial Lamb wrote:So, yes. I just don't feel welcome in the comic book hobby or industry any more. The "progressive" SJWs have made the comic book hobby and industry into an emotionally toxic environment, and "shitlords" like me no longer have a place in mainstream comics.
Sacrificial Lamb, I believe I speak for "SJWs" everywhere who are fucking tired of having our basic right to exist and be represented in the media we consume refused us when I say- Good. Now go fuck yourself.
See? That's exactly what I'm talking about. You make my case for me.

Yes, you have "the basic right to exist", and "be represented in the media you consume". But please do me a kindness, and spare me the Strawman Argument bullshit, because I never said otherwise.

But I do hate it when legacy characters are either forced to act out-of-character, or are REPLACED by minorities simply for the sake of cynically pandering to the "progressive" SJW Tumblr crowd. That's lazy writing, and blatant political pandering. It's awful.

The comic book companies should NOT try to CO-OPT pre-existing characters for the sake of furthering a POLITICAL AGENDA.

Instead, comic book companies should create completely NEW characters. You want modern superheroes to be black, Hispanic, gay, female, transgendered, "pansexual", or whatever? Fine, but please don't co-opt pre-existing legacy superheroes. Doing that is a disservice to fans of continuity, and fans of the original characters. It's just plain wrong.

But what else should I expect? "Progressive" SJWs are selfish, childish, and are always fond of character assassination when dealing with people that they don't agree with.

So yeah, your obnoxious bullshit response is not the least bit surprising. And it's part of why I stopped spending money on this stuff.

Hell, that type of toxic behavior is why I stopped playing AD&D and reading the books for it, between 2000 to 2008. Why? Because the Gygaxian grognards behaved like such obnoxiously overzealous assholes, that whenever I opened up a book written by Gygax, my mind would inevitably think about the Gygaxian grognard shitcocks on the Internet.....and my joy of the game would become tainted, so I stopped playing it for many years.

The "progressive" (yes, I put this in quotes, because I see it as ironic) SJWs of the comic book hobby and industry are actually becoming much more obnoxious, emotionally toxic, and culturally prevalent than the Gygaxian grogs ever were, and those very same grogs drove me away from Gygaxian games FOR EIGHT YEARS.

So yeah, it's really NOT a surprise that I now feel so alienated by modern comic books, and also feel very alienated by the rabidly obnoxious "progressive" SJWs (who fucking LOVE to engage in doxxing, who struggle to engage in honest discussion, who LOVE strawman arguments, and engage in social shaming, character assassination, and other such bullshit).

Identity politics used to replace the identity of legacy comic book characters is now shoved down the fucking throat of readers of modern comics, and many people do not like it......myself included.

Of course, if you're a political "progressive" social justice warrior asshole.....then you'll absolutely love this shit. So carry on.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

See this is why I don't use the term SJW because people will say it and then some people will think it means "any one for social justice" and others will think it means "any one for social justice that is a zealot", and other think think a whole host of different meanings.
I am ideologically opposed to Islam....for many reasons, so even if I like her as a character....I reject giving Muslims unearned legitimacy, considering how cruelly dangerous so many of them are in the modern world)

Citation needed.

So because there are some bad people who are Muslim, that means no practitioner should get legitimacy or is it only unearned legitimacy
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
]
Sacrificial Lamb
Apprentice

Leress wrote:See this is why I don't use the term SJW because people will say it and then some people will think it means "any one for social justice" and others will think it means "any one for social justice that is a zealot", and other think think a whole host of different meanings.
I am ideologically opposed to Islam....for many reasons, so even if I like her as a character....I reject giving Muslims unearned legitimacy, considering how cruelly dangerous so many of them are in the modern world)

Citation needed.

So because there are some bad people who are Muslim, that means no practitioner should get legitimacy or is it only unearned legitimacy
Forget it. I refuse to hijack this thread on a topic that is only tangentially related to the point of this thread, and Islam is NOT a subject I care to elaborate about with anyone on this site anyway.

And as soon as you say, "citation needed".....in regards to my perception of the evils and injustice of ISLAM, then something about that phrase makes it hard for me to take you seriously. Just by saying that, I can sense that you would disingenuously deconstruct ANY argument I make on this subject, legitimate or not.

So....not interested.

I'd rather discuss modern identity politics in comic books instead.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Are you a Christian?

If so, you and your association with the largest chemical terror attack in history can kindly fuck off.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

I was going to remark on having a nominee for November's "Racist Poster of the Month," but I forgot that FatR already has the title.

If you could have just waited till December, Sacrificial Lamb, you could have had your own ignominy!
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

And as soon as you say, "citation needed".....in regards to my perception of the evils and injustice of ISLAM, then something about that phrase makes it hard for me to take you seriously. Just by saying that, I can sense that you would disingenuously deconstruct ANY argument I make on this subject, legitimate or not.
Actually I would not, but since you want drop the subject, that is fine.
]
Sacrificial Lamb
Apprentice

name_here wrote:Are you a Christian?

If so, you and your association with the largest chemical terror attack in history can kindly fuck off.
No, I am not Christian. But I don't care to discuss my religious affiliation in any way, so I won't elaborate any further.
Prak wrote:I was going to remark on having a nominee for November's "Racist Poster of the Month," but I forgot that FatR already has the title.

If you could have just waited till December, Sacrificial Lamb, you could have had your own ignominy!
Islam is not a race, and I'm not going to be baited into this disingenuous bullshit. Just stop it.
Leress wrote:Actually I would not, but since you want drop the subject, that is fine.
Thank you.
Last edited by Sacrificial Lamb on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhoneLobster
King

Post by PhoneLobster »

See, now I'm not really current on comics, but I think we can largely discount the Captain Comics "some of these are just comics I personally didn't like" angle because essentially the main face of this opinion as represented to us, and as a point of contention is what we are getting from Sacrificial Lamb, FatR and Darkmaster.

No one really cares if you don't like the writing on the latest Thor run, it's not a big deal.

But when you have a bunch of other guys ranting about SJWs and how blacks and women haven't earned any rights, and how comics have just been RUINED with girl germs and racial, religious and sexual impurity... I don't think a complex case needs to be made, you can just largely point at their posts and say "wow, check out that asshole".

I mean the opening argument was basically that "identity politics" in comics is just a cash grab (bad thing) that also isn't a cash grab because it is noncommercial ideological pandering (also a bad thing) even though actually it's at least as old and successful as Wonder Woman and soon it will inevitably be replaced by bland white male ideological pandering (now a good thing) "again" even though "again" itself is pretty questionable what with Wonder Woman at well over 70 years old being older than most people posting on this board meaning no one here has ever actually lived in an era without this "bad" thing, but it WILL all end soon thanks to a need for commercial cash grab (now a good thing) by appealing to racist sexist crazy white males.

And if you are wondering why I keep mentioning Wonder Woman...
Wonder Woman's Creator wrote:"Wonder Woman is psychological propaganda for the new type of woman who should, I believe, rule the world"
Yes that's from wikipedia, what of it, punk?
Last edited by PhoneLobster on Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phonelobster's Self Proclaimed Greatest Hits Collection : (no really, they are awesome)
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

I think the argument is that comics are only doing it for a cash grab and not because the comic companies believe in representation, in essence the companies are taking advantage of the people wanting representation and are just giving them the bare minimum, by making poor stories/one dimensional characters, to satisfy the people wanting the representation.

I've been paying attention to both sides and a lot of people do the whole labeling and not really listening to what some people are actually saying.

EDIT:
Phone's quote link

http://psychcentral.com/blog/archives/2 ... superhero/
Last edited by Leress on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
]
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Sacrificial Lamb wrote:
Prak wrote:I was going to remark on having a nominee for November's "Racist Poster of the Month," but I forgot that FatR already has the title.

Islam is not a race, and I'm not going to be baited into this disingenuous bullshit. Just stop it.
Oh bullshit. Anti-islam ideologies are rooted in fucking racism. Because what the christians of the Western World and the racist atheists are really afraid of is "them dangerous brown people!" If Islam came from a caucasian population, it would be seen as just another flavor of judeo-christianity. But the fact that it never meaningfully expanded out of the Middle East and take hold in western european caucasian populations, as christianity and judaism did, and trade its originating language for something more European, as christianity and judaism did, it's still a Big Bad Scary Foreign Religion practiced by Evil Brown People.

White christian terrorists are overlooked as fringe lunatics. If white jewish terrorists exist, my ignorance of them shows how fucking overlooked they are, and Israeli army terrorism and genocide is only overlooked because any criticism of anything done by jews is immediately labeled as Antisemitic, and people don't want to be lumped in with nazis, so they shut up about their concerns over the murder of civilians under the watch of Netanyahu.

But extremist Islamists are brown, and those that aren't are so rare that a narrative of corruption is easy to craft, so racists are all up in arms about The Evils of Islam, despite the fact that the majority of domestic terrorism in the US is carried out by guys who were baptised and pronounce "Jesus" as "Ja-YEE-ZUS" and we have about as much to worry about from Islamists like DAESH as a guy in the middle of Death fucking Valley has to worry about from sharks.

name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

While it's true that they're really just doing it to make money, darkmaster was implying that they'll stop because it isn't making them money because people don't actually want to read comics about the new characters, and as it happens they have actually been making more money.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Prak wrote:Oh, hey, I can do that-
You're sort of making my point - those characters absolutely fall into the "Miles Morales" category of building on an existing legacy. They are not original identities so much as variants. Also absolutely none of them are as popular or successful as, say, Deadpool - who is something of a newcomer in comic book terms. The comic book industry is deeply entrenched and new entries that truly take root and join the "there will be movies and videogames and blackjack and hookers and everyone will know who you are even if they only kinda sorta ever read comics or just hang around people who do or because internet" upper-echelons are few and far between.

Comic books as a whole have just been retelling the same stories over and over slightly different each time for more than half a century. And while no one ever fucking complained that the umpteenth straight white male Flash was a priori an illegitimate entry into the Flash's legacy, suddenly someone tells a story about a spiderman who happens to be black and oh god everybody panic this is unacceptable it can't be a legitimate Spiderman story without a protagonist whose dick is white! You've changed something radically important to the character!

Comic book characters are replaced all the fucking time. That is how comics work - that is how comics have always worked. Certain people just never gave a shit before, because, well, they're bigoted shitbags who aren't actually bothered by the evolution of characters in principle so much as offended by the notion that the latest evolution isn't also a straight white male - as though somehow that were important?
Sacrificial Lamb wrote:No, I am not Christian. But I don't care to discuss my religious affiliation in any way, so I won't elaborate any further.
To be frank, no one gives a shit. The point is you're a bigoted shitbag who ignores all of the tragedies and terrorist attacks perpetuated by Christians at the behest of their insane fucking holy book and leaders, but are perfectly willing to condemn 1.5 billion people in one fell swoop like somehow (metaphorical) sin is a contagious disease instead of personal culpability for wrongdoings committed.

Are you sure you're not a Christian? Because that sounds really fucking Christian.
Last edited by DSMatticus on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

Prak, Lamb is right. Islam = religion, Muslim = practitioner of Islam. You haven't heard why Lamb doesn't like Islam (I have a thought about what Lamb is talking about). You are jumping to conclusion based on an assumption before the person has said why.
]
Sacrificial Lamb
Apprentice

PhoneLobster wrote:See, now I'm not really current on comics, but I think we can largely discount the Captain Comics "some of these are just comics I personally didn't like" angle because essentially the main face of this opinion as represented to us, and as a point of contention is what we are getting from Sacrificial Lamb, FatR and Darkmaster.

No one really cares if you don't like the writing on the latest Thor run, it's not a big deal.

But when you have a bunch of other guys ranting about SJWs and how blacks and women haven't earned any rights, and how comics have just been RUINED with girl germs and racial, religious and sexual impurity... I don't think a complex case needs to be made, you can just largely point at their posts and say "wow, check out that asshole".
Who the fuck here is saying this? The answer is:

Nobody.

STOP IT with this Strawman Argument bullshit. Just stop.

This is ONE of the things I said:
Me wrote:But I do hate it when legacy characters are either forced to act out-of-character, or are REPLACED by minorities simply for the sake of cynically pandering to the "progressive" SJW Tumblr crowd. That's lazy writing, and blatant political pandering. It's awful.

The comic book companies should NOT try to CO-OPT pre-existing characters for the sake of furthering a POLITICAL AGENDA.

Instead, comic book companies should create completely NEW characters. You want modern superheroes to be black, Hispanic, gay, female, transgendered, "pansexual", or whatever? Fine, but please don't co-opt pre-existing legacy superheroes. Doing that is a disservice to fans of continuity, and fans of the original characters. It's just plain wrong.
Create a black superhero. Or a female superhero. Or a gay superhero. Knock yourself out. Creating such characters doesn't bother me in the least, because I have no fucks to give. But I resent the rabid, overzealous "progressive" SJW assholes that want to crucify and slander people for rejecting multiple attempts to co-opt the identities of white straight male superheroes......all for the sake of perpetuating "progressive" political propaganda.

Fuck that shit.

I may still superficially pay attention to the comic book industry, but for many years.....I have refused to reward the comic book companies with actual money......because they persist in engaging in SJW pandering, and political bullshit that I think is horribly wrong.

DO NOT WANT.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So racism is wrong but bigotry is OK. And sjw propaganda is somehow worse than racist or Cold War propaganda (the latter fucking oozes out of comics despite it being over for more than my lifetime) because reasons.

I probably should clarify because of how crazy some people are being. I am being snide here.
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Wed Nov 04, 2015 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Sacrifical Lamb wrote:Who the fuck here is saying this? The answer is:

Nobody.

STOP IT with this Strawman Argument bullshit. Just stop.
PhoneLobster last page wrote:I just want to bring this in from the other thread...
FatR wrote:I must say that the political agenda you are actually defending is "women and blacks should have the rights to everything white men have earned, while shouldering none of the responsibilities"
...and just... sorta... point at it, while making a very disapproving face.

I'd do more, but, apparently, as a white man I just have too many responsibilities and all my time is tied up in constantly earning my basic human rights.
We're done here.
Occluded Sun
Duke

Post by Occluded Sun »

Darth Rabbitt wrote:So racism is wrong but bigotry is OK. And sjw propaganda is somehow worse than racist or Cold War propaganda (the latter fucking oozes out of comics despite it being over for more than my lifetime) because reasons.
The people you disagree with use propaganda. The people you agree with are simply stating the truth.

Where's Ultron and his humanity-extincting East European city when you need him?