Table Top Industry Defeatism

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

LR
Knight

Post by LR »

Prak wrote:Actually, thinking about this stuff about FATAL on this thread yesterday, it made me sort of want to overhaul FATAL with a sledgehammer to make a decent hentai game.

I don't think there'd really be a whole lot remaining of actual FATAL other than xp for fucking, though.
If you want to do that, you'd probably just want to just use MAID. Just use a broader range of 'monster girls', make Actually A Guy easier to hit, have people award Favor based on how satisfied their characters are at the end, and only use the Seduction rules if people are actually interested in non-consensual stuff. That should give you a decent spread of scenes from hentai manga. N-not like I've ever done anything like that.
Aryxbez
Duke

Post by Aryxbez »

Longes wrote:Well, you've just sold me on DSA setting. I only need to learn German now, and find a group.
Same here, though I've been a bit into it when I played an action game that seemingly using some of the Tabletop RPG's mechanics (if so, makes sense that granular junk adapts well to something a computer handles well), and focused on the "Dark Fantasy" aspect.

The various kind of character concepts Rasumichin mentioned actually sound kinda awesome (lizard-wizard crystal users, and yes, even the "Belly magic"). "Not-Divine" actually sounds like a good way to give phlebtonium to non-caster type characters, & just discard the notion of Fighter/Rogue entirely (everyone least has some Phlebtonium or "magic"). Obviously this setting doesn't capitalize on this, but the various concepts possible, how could they be adapted for D&D or other RPG systems?
Rasumichin wrote:one book with arcane magic rules, one book with divine magic-but-not-actually-magic rules, one book with setting description
This game is a serious need of a fraggin Wiki by the volume of content it has, seems like one akin to SR's various should exist? Sounds like I'd only want half of the "core" line, as Arcane/-not-Divine have the only monsters I'd care about, and learning about the setting. Speaking on that:
Rasumichin wrote:So yes, this dark fantasy stuff is an integral part of TDE lore, but it's a relatively recent addition and they're in the process of toning it down and running an anti-demon reconquista.
I suppose with the notion of making everything "dark & edgy" these days, it could be seen as tiring. However screw that, seems like most interesting bits in the Dark Eye world are there, and I'm curious to what book(s) you recommend checking out to read out on that Darker, yet undersupported lore? (As depicted in Dark Eye: Demonomicon)

I'm sorta interested in seeing the Dark Eye setting adapted (using the coolest & most interesting bits) for mid-level D&D Murderhobo hijinks that has them buttstabbing at the settings various Demon Lords, Demigods, and even challenging the Dark Mother itself.
Last edited by Aryxbez on Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
What I find wrong w/ 4th edition: "I want to stab dragons the size of a small keep with skin like supple adamantine and command over time and space to death with my longsword in head to head combat, but I want to be totally within realistic capabilities of a real human being!" --Caedrus mocking 4rries

"the thing about being Mister Cavern [DM], you don't blame players for how they play. That's like blaming the weather. Weather just is. You adapt to it. -Ancient History
Daniel
Journeyman

Post by Daniel »

DSA has a wiki.
http://www.wiki-aventurica.de/wiki/Hauptseite
What it needs is a SRD.
Rasumichin
Apprentice

Post by Rasumichin »

Wiki-Aventurica is sadly not as well-maintained as the two German Shadowrun wikis. This goes doubly for the English part of the wiki, which is as bare-bones and stubby as it gets.
Which is surprising, because there's a lot of fan sites for this game and i'd expect that archiving things is something that hardcore DSA players are really into.

The only recent setting description in English is the DSA4 basic rulebook that's been OOP for like a decade. It contains a very brief overview of the setting in general and a more detailled description of the warring kingdoms of Nostria and Andergast that you can actually use to run a game up there. They specifically went for that part of the setting because it's kinda close to the major parts of the setting like the Middenrealm, but requires less detailled knowledge of Aventurian theology and politics due to being a podunk backwater that's largely isolated and has a lot of localized, syncretistic cults that you can just make up on the fly based on the few general bits of setting description.

The Shadowlands description is spread out over various sourcebooks.
This one deals with the parts that are still under cultist control:
http://www.f-shop.de/rollenspiele/das-s ... g14?c=1283

It contains a description of Transysillia, the Necromancer Council of Warunkia and the civil war meets Predator meets Cronenberg clusterfuck that Maraskan has become, as well as description of the reconquista's bridgeheads.

There was also a queendom of a Captain Planet villain-style ice witch up North. What's left of it is in this book, together with goblins, yetis, not-Poland, not-Russia and not-Sami:
http://www.f-shop.de/rollenspiele/das-s ... g13?c=1283

The rape janissary matriarchs which are now an eyes wide shut conspiracy that secretly tries to corrupt people is in one of the two sourcebooks on not-Arabia. The other not-Arabia sourcebook contains a description of the lizard people and not-Innsmouth, and the not-Himalayans with one of Aventuria's many brands of barbarian and not-Shambala. Both sourcebooks are OOP. I actually own both of them and may do an OSSR at one point, probably during the winter holidays.

It should be a given that these books get a reprint/rework in the next years, but Ulisses' publishing schedule is dangerously low ATM, which is never a good sign for an RPG publisher. Particularly not when they're rolling out a new edition. I feel uncomfortably reminded of Shadowrun (and DSA) in the last days of FanPro.

As far as adapting DSA to D&D goes, i'm not very familiar with D&D. So i can't offer any help on the mechanical side.
Most races shouldn't be a problem. You can mostly copy/paste the core races, swapping halflings and gnomes for dwarf varieties. You'd need a writeup for orks, goblins, and lizard folk without LA. Elfs are tricky, because all DSA elfs are spellcasters. Some are more on the sorceror side, most are magic fighters or rangers or craftsmen or songsmiths. If you want to stick to the source material, you actually need specific elven classes and most of these would be sorcerer/fighter/ranger hybrids, which is hard to pull off from what i know about D&D.
Magic in DSA is non-Vancian and runs off spell points/karma points. Of course, it would be easier to just nameswap things. Assign D&D domains to the various gods and such. Lizardfolk crystallomancy would be tricky, and druids work a lot different than in D&D. Rebranding witches as sorcerors would lose a lot of the flavor, and i have no idea how to transfer changelings or the weirder magical traditions like barbarian shapeshifter warriors or magical belly dancers.

Honestly, it's a lot of work. A pointbuy system without classes may actually be easier, but i don't know which one would work best.