TTRPG system selction: gaming with young players

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

decay
NPC

TTRPG system selction: gaming with young players

Post by decay »

I'd like to be able to run a game for two children: 3 and 9 years old. I'm assuming that the young one will drift in and out, rolling dice occasionally (as a previous 3-year-old player did, ~15 years ago).

I'd rather not something like FUDGE, which is essentially story telling with some die rolls mixed in. I want something with educational "legs" (encouraging the elder to read rules, look at probabilities, etc.) without being so free-form that I need to keep shooting down extremely-naive plans.

Two types of TTRPG systems that seem like they could work are:

1. Die rolls for direct and clear contests ("Do I hurt the monster?"), and mechanics or easy improvisation for non-contest activity ("How much can a horse carry?"), with most of the rest (convincing a stranger to cooperate) left to roleplay rather than mechanics. D&D before 2nd edition fits in this group, and is similar to what I used previously when I had a 3-year-old player.

2. Die rolls for near everything, including interpersonal and purely-internal challenges ("Can I resist the temptation?"), along with much more complex character generation -- since there's much more in scope. GURPS is my main experience with this type of game, though HERO fits as well.

My inclination is for a Type1 game, but am fine making characters for a Type2 game (doing character creation out of the players' view) to make it work.

The strength of D&D for the type(s) of gaming I do is that it is (at least in simpler editions) primitive enough to stay out of the way of "normal" human activity. But would I need to go back to the original AD&D to get rules suitable for child's play? Is 5E, with all its flaws, "dumbed down" enough for children to play (not create/run)? Is there another system that is clearly better for cross-generational play?
Last edited by decay on Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leress
Prince

Post by Leress »

This rule set may help:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/289 ... e-v10?it=1

It is dice-less and uses rock-paper-scissor for resolution.
Koumei wrote:I'm just glad that Jill Stein stayed true to her homeopathic principles by trying to win with .2% of the vote. She just hasn't diluted it enough!
Koumei wrote:I am disappointed in Santorum: he should carry his dead election campaign to term!
Just a heads up... Your post is pregnant... When you miss that many periods it's just a given.
I want him to tongue-punch my box.
]
The divine in me says the divine in you should go fuck itself.
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

Hey Jigoku, come tell this guy about RPGKids.

I kind of think this, or something along the lines of "So you want an RPG for [X]" needs to be stickied, since we seriously get threads about kids and gaming every Fall/Winter.

I also had the idea once of letting younger kids play a familiar or other intelligent companion in a normal game, but that requires a certain level of development that's probably more around 5 or so.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Stinktopus
Master

Post by Stinktopus »

Savage Worlds?

PC's have awesome protagonist powers, there is a concrete method for rewarding good behavior, and the "exploding dice" mechanic seems targeted to a child audience.
Wife: "Peppering your argument with the word 'fucking' is going to make you seem angry and less intelligent."

Me: "This is The Gaming Den. Any indication of mental filtering will be seen as dishonesty, and you'll be branded a liar, right-wing extremist, and Apocalypse World shill."
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Mouse Guard could work.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Pick the system you personally like and want these kids to like in 5 years and run that with heavy intervention on your part to keep the game flowing. As long as they associate positive memories with it they'll like the system when they're able to comprehend it.
JigokuBosatsu
Prince

Post by JigokuBosatsu »

There are some threads already here about this topic, I can't be arsed to find them again.

After some rumination since the last time, I have to say I agree with Ogrebattle. Find a system that appeals to you and run in a flexible manner until it works for the little sprouts.

Or write one yourself. And have your 9yo help. (3yos are excellent monster manual entry creators, BTW) That would be much more instructional as far as mathy probability stuff than just throwing a bunch of dice and harlot tables out there and hoping a lesson emerges. :mrgreen:
Omegonthesane wrote:a glass armonica which causes a target city to have horrific nightmares that prevent sleep
JigokuBosatsu wrote:so a regular glass armonica?
You can buy my books, yes you can. Out of print and retired, sorry.
shlominus
Journeyman

Post by shlominus »

i also agree with ogrebattle, pick something you enjoy and feel at easy running flexibly.

the 9-year old is (almost) old enough to be able to understand most systems, if you simplify them (as much as necessary) and don't overwhelm them with options. the 3-year old won't care, whatever you choose. ;)

all the educational bits will come naturally if they are having fun, no matter what system you use.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

I would reply to the thread, but then Shlominus above already put a perfect reply. :thumb:
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
AndreiChekov
Knight-Baron

Post by AndreiChekov »

If you want to introduce them to a simplified 3.5, try microlite. It is horrible, but it uses a similar engine.

With my kid group, I just played wheel of time, and asked them what they wanted to be, and then made their characters for them giving them choices like, "Do you want better armour, or better weapons?" and shit like that. and in the case of spell casting, "do you like fire or earth more? Fire burns things, earth drops rocks on things."

It worked well enough they are now all fluent in the system, and I've been playing with them for 3 years.
Peace favour your sword.

I only play 3.x