Most Powerful Vampire Strain?

Mundane & Pointless Stuff I Must Share: The Off Topic Forum

Moderator: Moderators

virgil
King

Most Powerful Vampire Strain?

Post by virgil »

There are lots of different types of vampires, we know this. I'm curious as to which type would be considered either the most powerful or with the fewest weaknesses. This is in regards to entire strains rather than specific individuals, as WoD's Cain and Hellsing's Alucard personally beat the pants off most vampires.

Now, one could argue that true vampires in Hellsing are some of the most powerful without using Alucard as the specific example, because even a newbie like Seras Victoria is exceedingly potent and with few weaknesses. A little hard to make a firm declaration, because she and Alucard are the only non-artificial vampires depicted in the series.
Last edited by virgil on Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Strong case to be made for the Tsukihime True Ancestors. They are absolutely exempt from harm during the night of the full moon, immune to most forms of attack even during daylight, can manipulate the environment to produce any physically possible effect, and are empowered by Gaia to be stronger than their opponent.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

That sounds pretty hardcore, but I don't know if they can properly be considered vampires, because they aren't former humans but rather nature spirits or fairies. Still, a lot of vampire bestiaries include the baobhan sith, so maybe?

I'd nominate the Cullens, part of why that series is so fucked is that vampirehood comes with x-men powers and no downsides.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

The True Ancestors are original vampires, which seems to be a common theme in Japanese media. They were never humans but they do drink blood and turn humans into vampires. They don't technically have to drink blood, but they do have an extremely strong urge to and get more powerful when they do.

The Dead Apostles are former humans somewhere down the chain from True Ancestors. Their top guys are tremendous badasses, but new converts are mostly basically high-end zombies.
Last edited by name_here on Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
virgil
King

Post by virgil »

We don't have much to go off of, but the Great Vampires were a threat to the Time Lords, which is certainly a point in their favor toward strength; no idea how much of it was raw personal power of the species and how much of it was access to technology (and similar trained techniques).
Come see Sprockets & Serials
How do you confuse a barbarian?
Put a greatsword a maul and a greataxe in a room and ask them to take their pick
EXPLOSIVE RUNES!
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

Well, from what I remember of that story, they were able to empower three otherwise normal humans to the point that they could control an entire planet. Not only that, but the Great Vampires were also considered such a threat to the universe that if any Time Lord came across a Great Vampire, they were bound to stop whatever they were doing and dedicate themselves to destroying it.

That, and the Great Vampires were friggin' HUGE.
Is this wretched demi-bee
Half asleep upon my knee
Some freak from a menagerie?
No! It's Eric, the half a bee
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

Shadowrun has the Ordo Maximus.
They tempered with the normal Vampyr Strain and made Vampires compatible with cyberware, unaffacted by sunlight, able to digest normal food and drink without actually needing the blood anymore . .
While still keeping the regeneration, the longevity, the immunity to age and diseases, their magical abilities, good looks . . Arguably, the most powerfull Vampires ever . . But are they still vampires at that point?
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
RadiantPhoenix
Prince

Post by RadiantPhoenix »

Stahlseele wrote:Shadowrun has the Ordo Maximus.
They tempered with the normal Vampyr Strain and made Vampires compatible with cyberware, unaffacted by sunlight, able to digest normal food and drink without actually needing the blood anymore . .
While still keeping the regeneration, the longevity, the immunity to age and diseases, their magical abilities, good looks . . Arguably, the most powerfull Vampires ever . . But are they still vampires at that point?
True Ancestors from Tsukihime:
Type Moon Wiki wrote:[...] can literally change reality to create any naturally occurring effect [...]
Much easier to write such powers into single-author fiction than to make them work in a TRPG.
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

Last edited by OgreBattle on Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

What... what am I looking at?
Half asleep upon my knee
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

Shrapnel wrote:What... what am I looking at?
YOU ARE LOOKING AT DIO BRANDO, MONGREL!
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

RadiantPhoenix wrote:
Stahlseele wrote:Shadowrun has the Ordo Maximus.
True Ancestors from Tsukihime:
Type Moon Wiki wrote:[...] can literally change reality to create any naturally occurring effect [...]
Much easier to write such powers into single-author fiction than to make them work in a TRPG.
Yeah, pretty much. It's worth noting that in Tsukihime, the character who has it will, depending on the route, either spend most of the time unable to use it courtesy of recovering from being gratuitously overkilled with a power that prevents regeneration or apparently runs off to Vegas to get married to the biggest combat monster among the antagonists and is of no plot relevance whatsoever.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

Honorable mention goes to the vârcolac.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Longes wrote:
But that's not Dio Brando. That's Wamuu.
Pseudo Stupidity
Duke

Post by Pseudo Stupidity »

I'm pretty sure Alucard from Hellsing is beyond overpowered. He can summon all the people he has ever killed and maintains their powers. Since he's immortal this is larger than all the armies ever. That's in addition to all his regular vampire bullshit, and being double-super immortal.
sandmann wrote:
Zak S wrote:I'm not a dick, I'm really nice.
Zak S wrote:(...) once you have decided that you will spend any part of your life trolling on the internet, you forfeit all rights as a human.If you should get hit by a car--no-one should help you. If you vote on anything--your vote should be thrown away.

If you wanted to participate in a conversation, you've lost that right. You are a non-human now. You are over and cancelled. No concern of yours can ever matter to any member of the human race ever again.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

We're doing this by vampire strain, not individual; your typical Hellsing-verse vampire can be killed by special forces guys with blessed weapons.

Tsukihime actually has Chaos, one of the Dead Apostles, who has a similar deal, except that he's got 666 increasingly badass animals instead, and if they're killed he resurrects them on contact, so unlike Alucard you can't kill him by running him out of familiars. He is also responsible for one ending where the main character is eaten by a shark on the top floor of a hotel.
Longes
Prince

Post by Longes »

name_here wrote:We're doing this by vampire strain, not individual; your typical Hellsing-verse vampire can be killed by special forces guys with blessed weapons.
They never really elaborate, but it seems that Hellsing vampires' strength depends on the ammount of people they ate and also on their progenitor. Ceras ate one person, but her sire is Alucard who ate thousands, so Ceras is a badass and fights the nazi illusionist-vampire and nazi werewolf on equal grounds. Alucard himself got a direct curse from God, but got taken down by four muggles, one of which proceeded to do experiments on Alucard buffing him up. The nazi-vampires are artificially made from Mina's remains. Mina herself ate zero people, and the nazis are nowhere near as well fed as Alucard is.

Alternatively, Alucard's strain is completely different from the nazi strain - both Alucard and Ceras can use the souls of the people they ate, while the nazi vampires are either unaware of this ability, or don't have it.
Last edited by Longes on Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stahlseele
King

Post by Stahlseele »

OgreBattle wrote:The Pillarmen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yvsJn9Ncsk
For some reason that reminds me of Friendship is Manly O.o
Welcome, to IronHell.
Shrapnel wrote:
TFwiki wrote:Soon is the name of the region in the time-domain (familiar to all marketing departments, and to the moderators and staff of Fun Publications) which sees release of all BotCon news, club exclusives, and other fan desirables. Soon is when then will become now.

Peculiar properties of spacetime ensure that the perception of the magnitude of Soon is fluid and dependent, not on an individual's time-reference, but on spatial and cultural location. A marketer generally perceives Soon as a finite, known, yet unspeakable time-interval; to a fan, the interval appears greater, and may in fact approach the infinite, becoming Never. Once the interval has passed, however, a certain time-lensing effect seems to occur, and the time-interval becomes vanishingly small. We therefore see the strange result that the same fragment of spacetime may be observed, in quick succession, as Soon, Never, and All Too Quickly.
DSMatticus
King

Post by DSMatticus »

Stahlseele wrote:
OgreBattle wrote:The Pillarmen:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yvsJn9Ncsk
For some reason that reminds me of Friendship is Manly O.o
That's no coincidence. Friendship is Manly is inspired heavily by JoJo's... distinctive masculine flair.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Longes wrote:
name_here wrote:We're doing this by vampire strain, not individual; your typical Hellsing-verse vampire can be killed by special forces guys with blessed weapons.
They never really elaborate, but it seems that Hellsing vampires' strength depends on the ammount of people they ate and also on their progenitor. Ceras ate one person, but her sire is Alucard who ate thousands, so Ceras is a badass and fights the nazi illusionist-vampire and nazi werewolf on equal grounds. Alucard himself got a direct curse from God, but got taken down by four muggles, one of which proceeded to do experiments on Alucard buffing him up. The nazi-vampires are artificially made from Mina's remains. Mina herself ate zero people, and the nazis are nowhere near as well fed as Alucard is.

Alternatively, Alucard's strain is completely different from the nazi strain - both Alucard and Ceras can use the souls of the people they ate, while the nazi vampires are either unaware of this ability, or don't have it.
The impression I got was that the nazi artificial vampires were at least roughly in line with what was typical for fresh vampires in the setting. I don't remember anyone saying they seemed conspicuously weak.
darkmaster
Knight-Baron

Post by darkmaster »

Well, Alucard's bloodline at least seems fairly strong. After Ceres had her first meal she apparently immediately took on a fair number of Alucard's godlike powers. So presumably given enough time she could become his equal. Plus, most of the time Alucard just seems to be fucking about, toying with his opponents like a cat playing with its food. So... maybe it's just his blood line, or maybe all the Helsing universe's vampires could reach that point given enough time but they simply die before they get the chance.
Kaelik wrote:
darkmaster wrote:Tgdmb.moe, like the gaming den, but we all yell at eachother about wich lucky star character is the cutest.
Fuck you Haruhi is clearly the best moe anime, and we will argue about how Haruhi and Nagato are OP and um... that girl with blond hair? is for shitters.

If you like Lucky Star then I will explain in great detail why Lucky Star is the a shitty shitty anime for shitty shitty people, and how the characters have no interesting abilities at all, and everything is poorly designed especially the skill challenges.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Millinum's vampires were weaker because of how they were created. The standard method of making a new vampire is for an existing vampire to bite a virgin of the opposite sex. Non-virgins and people of the same sex die without transforming (sorry gay people, it's a heterosexual rape metaphor).

Millennium didn't do it that way. They instead used SCIENCE! By performing hideously unethical medical experiments on Mina Harker they were able to make artificial vampires. But artificial vampires aren't nearly as good as the real thing. Mina never completed her transformation, for one thing, and thus wasn't a real vampire herself. And the process that they used wasn't perfect, either.

The Major, interestingly enough, was contacted by the devil, or whatever, the way Alucard was. But he turned the offer down.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

I think straight up Eastern European folkloric vampires are often plenty stupidly powerful. While I admit that a lot of them are basically "kinda strong dudes" that can be defeated by just being "pretty good with a sword" or some shit, there are a lot of those guys who can only be killed by situations so contrived that they require author fiat to ever get in a situation where death is possible.

The hyperbolic displays of power at the high end of Serbian folkore are fucking insane. Like punching mountains out of the ground insane.

-Username17
OgreBattle
King

Post by OgreBattle »

DSMatticus wrote:
Longes wrote:
But that's not Dio Brando. That's Wamuu.
Here's Wammu's boss, Cars:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxlJJdh_0Kc
Shrapnel
Prince

Post by Shrapnel »

What. THE. HELL.
Half asleep upon my knee