Paradox Buys White Wolf from CCP

General questions, debates, and rants about RPGs

Moderator: Moderators

Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Well, I have to agree with FatR, I don't care either way about the bestiality in the WoD.
So if someone fucked an (imaginary) wolf in an roleplaying session, why should I care?
If someone tried to do that in real life on the other hand, I have to ask... is there an video? (not interested in dog videos, want to see the wolf biting the would be alpha wolf.)
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Korwin wrote:(not interested in
I'm interested in you shutting up.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
silva
Duke

Post by silva »

So what if its rape ? its a piece of fiction, not reality. What´s next ? Lets prohibite murders, face slaps and bad words in fiction too ?

Oh, and before someone brings up the "but rape is worst than murder!" again, I must remember it is so only for your shitty christian/abrahamic values, and not everybody in the world share them. What's next ? Saying everybody who don't agree with you will burn forever in hell ? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The traditional playstyle is, above all else, the style of playing all games the same way, supported by the ambiguity and lack of procedure in the traditional game text. - Eero Tuovinen
Mistborn
Duke

Post by Mistborn »

Because dog rape squicks people out in a way that "I hit the Orc with my axe" doesn't you dolt.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

silva is too hipster to need informed consent from his sex partners.
Korwin apparently wants to watch the Mr. Hands video?

:freakedout:

-Username17
Kaelik
ArchDemon of Rage

Post by Kaelik »

Somebody PM in a couple months when new information that isn't about dog-fucking makes it into this thread.
DSMatticus wrote:Kaelik gonna kaelik. Whatcha gonna do?
The U.S. isn't a democracy and if you think it is, you are a rube.

That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

FrankTrollman wrote:silva is too hipster to need informed consent from his sex partners.

-Username17
fortunately I have no glue what the Mr. Hands video is?
Or is it about an wolf biting an naked guy?
That migth be sort of amusing...
Red_Rob wrote: I mean, I'm pretty sure the Mayans had a prophecy about what would happen if Frank and PL ever agreed on something. PL will argue with Frank that the sky is blue or grass is green, so when they both separately piss on your idea that is definitely something to think about.
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

Korwin wrote:
FrankTrollman wrote:silva is too hipster to need informed consent from his sex partners.

-Username17
fortunately I have no glue what the Mr. Hands video is?
Or is it about an wolf biting an naked guy?
That migth be sort of amusing...
Mr. Hands is a guy who had sex with horses. He died of a perforated colon after one particularly intense session.
Last edited by hyzmarca on Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Well didn't really need to know that. But I asked for it... 😉
John Magnum
Knight-Baron

Post by John Magnum »

Rock Paper Shotgun interviews the new White Wolf CEO

Almost nothing but "no comment yet" for any specific projects. Some talk about how the new White Wolf is relatively autonomous as a daughter company of Paradox.

Does anyone know anything about this Martin Ericsson dude who's now "Lead Storyteller" for WW? They mention that he's done some development for White Wolf in the past and run LARPs. No idea what the quality of his previous work is.
-JM
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Martin Ericsson was senior content whatsit on the failed CCP Vampire MMO. I don't doubt that talented and dedicated people were involved in that project, but that project was a total failure. It's not really the kind of resume bullet point you want to see.

-Username17
hyzmarca
Prince

Post by hyzmarca »

FrankTrollman wrote:Martin Ericsson was senior content whatsit on the failed CCP Vampire MMO. I don't doubt that talented and dedicated people were involved in that project, but that project was a total failure. It's not really the kind of resume bullet point you want to see.

-Username17
Video game projects tend to fail in the coding and financing stages, not the creative ones. So it doesn't reflect too badly on him, not the way a failed game book or novel would.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Yeah, being the content developer for a failed MMO says basically nothing.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Whipstitch
Prince

Post by Whipstitch »

silva wrote:So what if its rape ? its a piece of fiction, not reality. What´s next ? Lets prohibite murders, face slaps and bad words in fiction too ?

Don't be a dipshit. The problem I have isn't with playing make believe, it's with people blatantly arguing that White Wolf wasn't really writing transgressive dog rape bullshit. Because they totally were. White Wolf canon NPCs are by and large bad people who do bad things. The best of the lot are typically anti-heroes and there really is a bunch necrophilia, bestiality, torture, human sacrifice, murder and incest to be found between the covers of white wolf products. This should not be a surprise to anyone but for some reason people keep trying to act like it's other readers who are the perverts just for noticing this shit instead of acknowledging what is actually on the page. Fuck that noise.

And you know what? Pointing out that people here play murder hobos, shadowrunners, or hell, even White Wolf characters isn't necessarily a "gotcha" moment. The very term "murder hobo" is disparaging given that it says right on the tin that they engage in unjustified killing. Go ahead and play bad people if you want, just quit fronting like they're not bad people.

Christ.
Last edited by Whipstitch on Tue Nov 10, 2015 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
bears fall, everyone dies
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

name_here wrote:Yeah, being the content developer for a failed MMO says basically nothing.
Actually, being the content developer of a game that was meant to have no game content at all and being nothing but a glorified chatroom where you paid a monthly fee to relive the worst parts of high school IS something bad, because it means you had a joke job title that meant nothing.
name_here
Prince

Post by name_here »

Dogbert wrote:
name_here wrote:Yeah, being the content developer for a failed MMO says basically nothing.
Actually, being the content developer of a game that was meant to have no game content at all and being nothing but a glorified chatroom where you paid a monthly fee to relive the worst parts of high school IS something bad, because it means you had a joke job title that meant nothing.
I think you have MMORPGs confused with something else.
DSMatticus wrote:It's not just that everything you say is stupid, but that they are Gordian knots of stupid that leave me completely bewildered as to where to even begin. After hearing you speak Alexander the Great would stab you and triumphantly declare the puzzle solved.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

name_here wrote:I think you have MMORPGs confused with something else.
Au contraire, I know exactly what an MMO is, they have been my hobby for over a decade now, but chances are, back in the day you didn't read any of the interviews regarding WoD Online's mission and vision.

The "game" was going to have no story, no missions, and no enemies. It was just you and the other players in some Second Life knockoff without user-generated content, and the "XP" was going to be handed down by the GMs at the Prince's discretion. Also, the "Prince" was supposed to be an elevated fanboy from the playerbase. So basically the game was about either being a bootlick in the Prom Queen Prince's clique, or being bullied day in and day out, and players were supposed to pay a monthly fee for the privilege.

Does that still sound like an MMO to you? If so, I invite you to actually try an MMO.

P.D: No, Spreadsheets in Space doesn't count.
Last edited by Dogbert on Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mord
Knight-Baron

Post by Mord »

I wonder whether the new corporate overlords at Paradox will have anything to say about the fourth edition of Masquerade that's supposedly in the works in richt's basement at Onyx Path.
Last edited by Mord on Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dogbert
Duke

Post by Dogbert »

Mord wrote:I wonder whether the new corporate overlords at Paradox will have anything to say about the fourth edition of Masquerade that's supposedly in the works in richt's basement at Onyx Path.
Hopefully, Paradox will revoke all licenses before we see the first Vampire game designed by committee.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

Dogbert wrote:
Hopefully, Paradox will revoke all licenses before we see the first Vampire game designed by committee.
Too late for that. nWoD Vampire credits fourteen people for "concept and design," five of those fourteen people for "second stage concept and design," eight people (seven of whom are in the first list) for "third stage concept and design," and three additional people for "additional conceptual and design assistance." Requiem was not only designed by committee, it was designed by a committee that had eighteen people in it and had to be divided into four subcommittees.

Paradox will hopefully revoke the license for Vampire table top. Because if they do that, it means that they think the Vampire tabletop game is actually worth something and they might throw some money behind it. But if they've bought into the big purple meme that sales of a couple thousand books to a dedicated but dwindling core of internet fanboys is the best they can hope for, they probably won't. Because that is bullshit money and not worth chasing for a multi-million dollar company.

-Username17
Prak
Serious Badass

Post by Prak »

FatR wrote:
Heaven's Thunder Hammer wrote: Even me, an avowed prudish conservative gamer got squicked out by the realization that you can fuck wolves if you want as a garou to make lupus babies. Ew. That isn't an attack on the players of Werewolf, it's just blatant fucking reality.
And nobody cares, really. Terry Pratchett wrote a fucking love triangle between a human, a werewolf and a normal wolf, well past the point when the Diskworld books got largely serious, and nobody cared. So, even before browsing actual WoD-related forums, we can safely say that the problem only exists in the mind of Frank and local TGD prudes

Frank's whole point, besides containing several factually incorrect statements, also entitely hinges on the very bizarre assertion that fucking a wolf (or, say, a magical pony) who can say "Let's fuck" in human words is perfectly OK, while fucking a wolf who can indicate the same through the normal wolf (which you, being a fellow wolf, perfectly versed in wolf communication, can interpret with just as much certainty) means is somehow repulsive. And is rape. I guess all sex that ever happens in the animal kingdom must be rape in Frankverse.
The problem isn't whether you can understand them or not, precisely. What makes Garou-on-wolf sex rape is the difference in mental faculties. A minor can also say "let's fuck" in human words that you can understand, whether that's "let's fuck" or "vouloir baiser?" But the fact that you can understand, and they can show a genuine desire to have sex doesn't mean that fucking a 15 year old is not rape.

In a similar way, whether you can understand wolf-ese, or are just going by their turgid dog cock, a human or a being of human-level sapience fucking a wolf is rape because the wolf is not at the same mental level as the human(oid).

I read The Fifth Elephant after the den went over the whole "dog rape in WoD" thing, and Angua's sub-plot came off bitter tasting because of it. Even with the sapience level that wolves are portrayed as having in Discworld.
Cuz apparently I gotta break this down for you dense motherfuckers- I'm trans feminine nonbinary. My pronouns are they/them.
Winnah wrote:No, No. 'Prak' is actually a Thri Kreen impersonating a human and roleplaying himself as a D&D character. All hail our hidden insect overlords.
FrankTrollman wrote:In Soviet Russia, cosmic horror is the default state.

You should gain sanity for finding out that the problems of a region are because there are fucking monsters there.
Mask_De_H
Duke

Post by Mask_De_H »

What the fuck even compels a man to defend dogfucking, even if the dog in question is semi-sapient? Even if it isn't straight animal abuse, it's zoophilia which isn't really a market you want to corner, horsefuckers be damned.
FrankTrollman wrote: Halfling women, as I'm sure you are aware, combine all the "fun" parts of pedophilia without any of the disturbing, illegal, or immoral parts.
K wrote:That being said, the usefulness of airships for society is still transporting cargo because it's an option that doesn't require a powerful wizard to show up for work on time instead of blowing the day in his harem of extraplanar sex demons/angels.
Chamomile wrote: See, it's because K's belief in leaving generation of individual monsters to GMs makes him Chaotic, whereas Frank's belief in the easier usability of monsters pre-generated by game designers makes him Lawful, and clearly these philosophies are so irreconcilable as to be best represented as fundamentally opposed metaphysical forces.
Whipstitch wrote:You're on a mad quest, dude. I'd sooner bet on Zeus getting bored and letting Sisyphus put down the fucking rock.
Korwin
Duke

Post by Korwin »

Mask_De_H wrote:What the fuck even compels a man to defend dogfucking, even if the dog in question is semi-sapient? Even if it isn't straight animal abuse, it's zoophilia which isn't really a market you want to corner, horsefuckers be damned.
I would call it animal abuse too.
But some arguments on this site are so overblown hyperbolic black and white, they tempt to argue against them.

Let's just call it animal abuse and stop this thread derail.
Miniature Colossus
Apprentice

Post by Miniature Colossus »

Didn't see this posted yet, so here you go. From Onyx Path:

Announcing Chronicles of Darkness!

So Onyx Path gets to keep publishing nWoD but under the name Chronicles of Darkness, while oWoD is back to being just WoD and will be published by the new White Wolf.
Username17
Serious Badass

Post by Username17 »

We can hope that no longer being able to use the "World of Darkness" imprint will finally make dumbasses on the internet stop taking Onyx Path seriously. In the long run, obviously, it will. But I fear that with Onyx Path freelancers being entrenched as moderators on rpg.net, that it will take a long time. Like, years for that fucking "company" to go away altogether.

-Username17