[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 34 - Stealer of Souls

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

What should be the name of our Hero?

Harry Balzac
43%
Dick Hertz
14%
I.P. Freely
14%
Grabsack Moorcock
29%

Total votes: 7

SGamerz
King

[Let's Play] Fighting Fantasy 34 - Stealer of Souls

Post by SGamerz »

So.....after running a 5-book-running series with more complex rules (and not really doing that good a job at it), I'm going back to something much simpler for now. FF34 is pretty much a "back to basics" book in this series that really just sticks to the basic system with no additional new rules. Hopefully, the adventure itself will still be fun enough to make this game enjoyable. :)

This probably won't be the only FF gamebook I run after this, since we went through 5 non-FF ones prior to this, but Ill take a look at what's left from my collection after we run through this one: there're lot of FF books left, but the ones that can be fairly completed in a single playthrough are rapidly running low!

Let's take a look at the cover:
And the back cover blurb:
"The name Mordraneth strikes fear into the hearts of all who dwell in Titan. Now he has found a way to unleash a magical army of fear upon the land. The wizard Aslander has been kidnapped and you must rescue him from the Isle of Despair. But will you also enter the Empire of Illusion, confront Mordraneth and save Titan?"
A generic straight-forward FF plot for a simple book: save the Good Wizard, kill the Evil one.

Let's see if the introduction inside the cover tells us anything else:
"YOU are a hardy and experienced adventurer. When the wizard Vanestin summons you and offers you the chance of riches and glory, you can hardly wait! But wealth and fame are less important to the world of Titan than the success of your mission; for if you fail, the Stealer of Souls will ravage the land- The Stealer of Souls is Mordraneth, an evil Archmage who has found a magical way of unleashing all fears and nightmares upon the innocent - and even the not-so-innocent - inhabitants of Titan! This is what he is poised to do - and only YOU can stop him!"
I think this is the first time I've seen a gamebook specifically tell its readers that he also needs to save the not-so-innocent people.

And of course, the rules....it's been a while, but this particular book doesn't require anything more than the Standard FF Boilerplate Rules!:

Skill, Stamina, & Luck
SKILL score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. We roll a 3 and get 9.

STAMINA score: Roll two dice. Add 12 points to the result. We roll a 5+3 and get 20

LUCK score: Roll one die. Add 6 to the result. We roll a 4 and get 10

SKILL score reflects your expertise in combat, your ability with weapons, and your dexterity. STAMINA is your general constitution and "Life points" . LUCK score shows how lucky you are. None of them may exceed their Initial score unless specifically stated.

Eating a meal restores up to 4 points of STAMINA; you may only eat one meal at a time.

Testing your Luck: When instructed by the book to Test your Luck, roll two dice. If the result is equal to or less than your current LUCK score, you are Lucky. If the result exceeds your current LUCK score, you are Unlucky. Whatever the outcome, you must deduct one point from your current LUCK score every time you Test your Luck. The more you use your LUCK, the less likely you are to be Lucky.
So...we got an average fighter who's moderately tough and lucky. In most FF (like Deathtrap Dungeon), this adventurer probably just signed his death warrant, but in this book, it might just be enough (this book isn't as easy as Keep of the Lich Lord, but it's far from impossible).

Combat:
SKILL and STAMINA scores are given in the text for each adversary that you face.

The combat sequence is then:
1. Roll two dice for your opponent. Add the total rolled to its SKILL score. This is the Attack Strength of your enemy.
2. Roll two dice and add the total to your own current SKILL score. This is your Attack Strength.
3. If your Attack Strength is the higher, you have wounded your opponent: deduct 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA..
If your opponent's Attack Strength is higher, it has wounded you: deduct 2 points from your own STAMINA.
If both Attack Strengths are equal, you have avoided each other's blows.
4. Begin the next Combat Round, starting again at step 1. This procedure continues until either you or your opponent has a STAMINA score of zero. If your opponent's STAMINA score reaches zero, you have killed it and can continue with your adventure. If your own STAMINA score reaches zero, you are dead.

Often you will have to fight more than one opponent at a time. Sometimes you will treat them as a single opponent; at others, you will be able to fight them one at a time; and sometimes all of them will be able to attack you, while you defend yourself and may attack only one of them. Specific instructions will be given whenever you meet more than one opponent.

Using Luck in Combat

You can use your LUCK in combat to inflict a particularly serious wound, or to minimize a wound that has been inflicted on you.

Whenever you wound an opponent, you may Test your Luck. If you are Lucky, you have inflicted a severe wound: deduct an extra 2 points from your opponent's STAMINA. If you are Unlucky, you have merely grazed it, and you deduct 1 point less than normal from its STAMINA.

If you have been wounded, you can Test your Luck in exactly the same way. If you are Lucky, the wound upon you was only a glancing blow and you can deduct 1 less point of STAMINA than usual. If you are Unlucky, the wound is serious: deduct 1 extra point from your STAMINA.
Again, nothing new here....just like our Starting Equipment:
We're armed with a sword, dressed in leather armour, carries a shield, and a backpack that contains enough provisions for 10 meals.
Again, standard FF-fare here!

Speaking of standard.......does how Hero still get the traditional penile-related name? That's up to you, of course! :tongue:

Any takers?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: ???
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 20/20
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield
Provisions: 10 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Last edited by SGamerz on Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

I don't even remember if there's a dick joke we haven't used yet, so I'm going to try a slight variation and propose Harry Balzac.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I had done a whole list of all the dick jokes we've done already but my computer decided to eat the list, and by extension all the dicks. :sad:

Harry Balzac is good by me.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

How about Dick Hertz or I.P. Freely?
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd be fine with any of those, or with Grabsack Moorcock.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

We've got 4 names suggested, so I'm putting them up in a poll. :biggrin:

In the meantime, we can begin our adventure...

First, here's the map provided in the book. Most of the adventure is actually in a dungeon, though, so this map really only relevant to the first portion of the book:

And here's the "BACKGROUND":
Vanestin of Pollua . . . a mage, You don't know him, but he has requested your presence, and his messengers were gracious. They had even made all the arrangements: coach fares paid, money for meals and indulgences along the way . . . whatever it is that he wants, he knows how to treat a valiant warrior. And now that you are with him, you can see from his beautiful home that he is a man of means and, surely, of power and influence. After greeting you, he has breathed simply one word to begin his proposition to you: a name . .

. . . His origins may be unknown, but his is a name whispered in secret places, and it has come to your ears before: Mordraneth. Dark mage, a man of guile and cunning, one who has mastery of arcane secrets shunned by good magicians, a dealer in death and destruction who smiles as he slays. The Elves have spoken of him with fear, and you have drunk Skullbuster - that fearsome brew - with a grizzled Dwarf veteran who slapped you on the back with the only arm he had left after an encounter with Mordnneth. You weren't certain what to expect from the man who uttered his name simply to test your reaction, but you weren't expecting this.

You keep your reactions to yourself as he gazes at you; you take the time to study him. Vanestin is a powerful man, tall and strong, lean and still young. Not what you might have expected in a wizard! You sit in his sumptuous chamber, overlooking the harbor in Pollua, sipping his fine wine. You raise your eyebrows at the name but say nothing. Vanestin looks hard at you, and then proceeds with his story.

'You've heard of him, of course. A servant of Evil and Chaos, a mage of no mean skill, and possessed of a fiendish cunning. To defeat his purpose, we need your skill and courage. If you will accept the task I offer . . .' Now he stops pacing the room, sits down, and his voice has a keener edge to it.

'Two weeks ago, agents of Mordraneth kidnapped a wizard here, Alsander, who was occupied in magical research into Mordraneth's schemings. I last saw Alsandera few days before he disappeared, and he was excited and worried then. He warned me that Mordraneth was using magical energies to draw power in some way from the realms of the dead, and he urged me 6 consult with him again when he had had a little more time to study the problem. Alas, when I called upon him he was gone, with all his notes.

'But by magical scrying, we have found where Alsander is, and he is still alive. Your task is not as desperate as you may have thought when I spoke Mordraneth's name. We do not require you to slay him; we need you to bring Alsander back to us.' He pauses to offer you more wine, and he sees that you are a little disappointed - what a scalp Mordraneth's would be to boast about! Vanestin is quick to counter that.

'If you can rescue Alsander, you may gain the knowledge and power to overcome Mordraneth himself. I can't think of anyone more capable to undertake it.' You smile at his flattery. 'Interested?' He hardly needs your nod.

'Mordraneth has tried to fool us, but for once his ruse has failed. From our spies we know that the evil one is in Allansia . . . but we have also discovered that Alsander is imprisoned elsewhere. Mordraneth expects us to come for him, in the belief that he has Alsander with him. Well, we won't disappoint him. A ship has already sailed for Allansia with warriors and mages aboard. Just a diversion, of course, although we've made sure that his spies have heard of it as a serious mission. But you, my friend, will be making for the real quarry.

'Mordraneth has hidden Alsander on the Isle of Despair, a small island just off the eastern coast of the Island of Scars. Deep within the Iron Crypts he has hidden him. Why he has not slain him, I do not know - but this I do know: we need desperately to find out what Alsander had discovered, and we must get him back alive. And you are the warrior to do it. One brave hero can penetrate defenses secretly and silently, where a group would raise too many alarms and thereby fail. And a wizard would be useless there; no magic works within the Iron Crypts save that which Mordraneth himself uses. No, it is a brave and fearless warrior we need. A small ship, the Petrel, is waiting.

'Will you accept this quest? If you don't, then my magic will ensure that you will remember nothing of what I have said when you leave. I cannot afford any idle gossip. . .' but he is smiling, for he has seen your hand move to your scabbard at the prospect of the adventure. 'Gold and glory, my friend, I can promise you both in abundance! Let us drink to it - but not too much. The tide will be favourable in but a few hours!'
That's just slightly more than the standard "this bad wizard/demon/monster is destroying the world, go kill him" routine. Just slightly.

Although if he can afford to hire an entire adventuring party as a pure diversion, can't he give us a single companion to help us? Or even better, hire someone with a higher SKILL than 9.

Anyways, moving on to Section 1....
Fair weather and a good easterly breeze have sped you along your way. You should reach the Isle of Despair in but a day or two. Garaeth, the ship's captain, has been well paid, and you had no problems arranging for him to pick you up after you have completed your quest. But now dark clouds are gathering and a gale is picking up. The captain gives orders for battening down the hatches, and prepares to run before the wind. The first heavy drops of rain splatter down on the wooden deck. As you prepare to go below, a cry goes up from a crewman and your gaze follows his pointing finger; a huge black bird with a wing-span of yards - and outstretched talons - is plummeting down from the leaden sky, straight towards you! If you want to flee, tum to 55. If you wish to stay and fight the menace, turn to 127.
And we're dropped right into the action! They sure didn't waste any time!

Run of fight?
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

We're on a boat, there aren't a lot of places to run to. Fight!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's kick Big Bird's ass.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You are in combat with a Giant Stormbird; you must fight it alone, since the sailors are too far away and can't get to aid you through the rain and gale and lashing waves which spill on to the deck.

GIANT STORMBIRD SKILL 8 STAMINA 12

If you are slain by the Stormbird's slashing talons and cruel beak, your firct adventure has ended here! If you win, tum to 157.
Slightly weaker than us, so we'll probably win, although it may be a costly win if the dice don't favour us.

COMBAT LOG:
Stormbird 18, Harry 21. Stormbird is at 10.
Stormbird 18, Harry 19. Stormbird is at 8.
Stormbird 14, Harry 14. Tie.
Stormbird 15, Harry 19. Stormbird is at 6.
Stormbird 17, Harry 27. Tie.
Stormbird 12, Harry 18. Stormbird is at 4.
Stormbird 17, Harry 15. Harry is at 18.
Stormbird 13, Harry 18. Stormbird is at 2.
Stormbird 15, Harry 14. Harry is at 16.
Stormbird 12, Harry 19. Stormbird is dead!
The rolls are actually really close most of the time, but our 1-point SKILL advantage actually made a difference on more than one occasion, allowing us to win after taking only relatively minor damage!
Did you turn your back and try to flee before fighting the Stormbird? If you did, tum to 347. If you made no attempt to run away, turn to 223.
What kind of question is that? Of course we stood and fought like a real hero! Because we realized there was nowhere for us to run.
Captain Garaeth and his men congratulate you on your bravery. You may take Provisions from the ship's galley in order to recover any STAMINA points you may have lost in your combat with the Stormbird 'Well done,' Garaeth says, 'but this encounter troubles me. It is very rare to see such a bird in these latitudes Perhaps someone already knows of your coming and has attracted such a creature by magic.' This is not a good thought on which to settle down to sleep; but you get a good night's rest, and in the early morning you feel refreshed and ready to set out for the Isle of Despair.
Nice to see heroism actually paying off! I take this to mean that we can regain all our STAMINA without using any of our own Provisions.
If we tried to run, the sailors think we're a coward, and we'd need to use our own Provisions for healing instead. We also miss out on the minor quest token that well be given in the upcoming section.....
One of the sailors gives you a small jar of ointment (add this to the list of Equipment Carried on your Adventure Sheet). He explains that on the Isle of Despair there may be insects which bite and spread disease, and this will help repel them. He commends you on your bravery and says he hopes his gift will help you. You thank him, and collect your gear for the adventure to come.
Once again, it's nice to see people actually expressing appreciation and gratitude at our heroism!
On this foggy morning, you make out the Isle of Despair, a short distance away to starboard. Captain Garaeth explains that there is no natural harbor here, and you must make your own way from now on. The crew lower a rowing-boat into the water and, taking all your equipment and Provisions, you lower yourself into the boat and row for the shore, as the Petrel glides slowly away into the gloom.

You are nearly ashore when a huge pair of grey pincers, trailing green and purple strands of sea-weed, rise from the shallow water and snap at your oar! The streaked grey shell, beady eyes and hooked jaws of a giant Skull Crab emerge after them! Will you:

Fight the creature?
Throw some food at it?
Try to row to shore quickly and get away?
This place is full of giant hostile animals! This time we have an extra option besides run or fight, so....flee, fight or feed?

Adventure Sheet:
Name: Harry Balzac
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 20/20
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Jar of Ointment
Provisions: 10 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Feed.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Take the option that wasn't available with the Stormbird.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You throw some food towards the crab, which grabs at it and misses. You now have time to row away while the dim-witted crab finds and gobbles down the food. Reduce your Provisions by 1. You row to the shoreline without further incident; turn to 102.
You beach your boat and look around. To the west is a trail leading towards the hilly interior of the island, and to the south there is a tall white cliff which bars your way. Appearing out of the wispy mist to the north looms a huge figure - a giant, almost sixteen feet tall, clad in green and his hair a tangle of kelp and shells that he wears for decoration. He is muscular and carries a massive club. 'Hello, human,' he booms. Will you:

Attack him?
Greet him in return?
Run away to the west?
Giant again? Is everything living on this island suffering from Gigantism? They should call this the Isle of Giants instead.

No feeding option this time (I doubt we have enough food to satisfy him anyway), but we can chat.

What to do here?

(BTW, I only just noticed that my map link earlier was screwed up. It's fixed now.)
Last edited by SGamerz on Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Say hi back.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

He does look better at fighting and running than us, but I bet we can best him in a duel of words.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

'Sorry about Edwina,' the Sea Giant says, 'she's frisky today. I hope she hasn't hurt you? Good.' He looks around at the mist. 'It's going to rain. Would you care for food and shelter?' If you want to accept his offer, tum to 118; if you decline and set off west along the trail, tum to 257.
Yes, Edwina is the name of his pet Giant Crab.

We did just lose some food to the crab. Now is the time to get some back from her master, right......?

....or is he just planning to feed us to his pet (or himself)?
Last edited by SGamerz on Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Accept.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Let's accept.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You set off north together and soon reach the giant's cave, which is set into a hillside sloping down to the shoreline. You enter and look around. There's some fine fish stew simmering, and he offers you HUGE bowl of it! You eat with relish. The giant looks thoughtful and says,' This is becoming increasingly evil place. I'm not afraid, for I can look after myself, but you. . . you must be on some kind of quest here. 'You nod, but say nothing, determined to give nothing away. 'I don't know if this will help you, but it might mean something,' he says, and he retrieves an old scroll which he had carefully hidden under a large pile of shells and conches. You read it:

Singing in the wind is the harbinger of death,
and the Stealer of Souls shall tear terrors from
the minds of the damned to make his home.

It seems to make little sense to you, nor can you make out all of the date inscribed in one comer. The numbers are smudged, and only three are legible: 3. . .5. . .0 in that order. But you thank the giant; he tells you you can keep the scroll (add the Message Scroll to the list of Equipment Carried on your Adventure Sheet and make a note of the date numbers - 350 - too). Soon it begins to rain heavily and you stay in the giant's cave for the night.

The next morning is sunny and clear; the giant wishes you well and gives you some salted fish, enough for three meals (add 3 to your Provisions). You set off to the west, to seek the trail inland; turn to 257.
We got our food back and more! I don't think they started setting maximum limit to provisions yet (they do in later books), so we now have 12 meals....
You set off west along the trail. Misty drizzle begins to fall, and you feel wet, uncomfortable and miserable. At mid-day you must stop and eat a meal; as you take out some food, you find that the damp seeped through your backpack and some of you food is spoiled. Reduce your Provisions by 2.
....and promptly lost all 3 meals again. :/

(well, at least we also got a plot coupon. Besides, we'll go through this section either way, so without the visit to the giant, we'd be down to 6 meals.)
Also, if we fought and killed the giant crab earlier, the giant gets mad at us and tries to kill us to avenge his pet.
The trail splits; you can either head north, where you can see hilly terrain and bracken in the distance, or you can continue west along what appears to be a fairly well-used mud track.
Take the sidetrack or not?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 20/20
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Jar of Ointment, Message Scroll ('350')
Provisions: 9 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Sidetrack. Roads less traveled are less watched.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Agreed.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

You trudge on; the light begins to fail. Not far away, you make out a small cave in the hills to the west of the path. It's too dangerous to sleep out in the open, so you approach the cave carefully and move in. It looks empty, so you light your lantern and peer into the gloom. The floor is littered with rocks, but not too wet. Do you want to settle down to sleep immediately or check under the rocks on the floor first?
Oops, I think I missed that we also have a lantern in our Possession. I'm pretty sure the book never actually checks us for light source, though , so it doesn't really affect anything.

Sleep or search?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 20/20
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, Jar of Ointment, Message Scroll ('350')
Provisions: 9 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

I see no good reason not to search.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Check under the rocks.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

All you find for your trouble is a large centipede that scuttles out from under a rock and nips you with poisonous bite. You crush it angrily under your heel, but you suffer the loss of 2 STAMINA points.
Yes, this leads to the same section as going to sleep anyway. Looks like the author doesn't think caution is always a good thing?
You must eat another meal before sleeping, or lose 2 STAMINA points. After you've eaten, you unroll your blanket and try to get some sleep. The wind howls outside and during the night a storm thunders overhead, but you snatch a few hours of sleep, enough for you to get reasonable rest.
Down to 8 meals.....Keith Martin seems to like the "mandatory meal" system. He has done this more than any other FF author that I can remember (most significantly in Master of Chaos).
Just before mid-day you notice that the trail ahead is petering out and the hills are getting very steep indeed. This can't be the right way! Suddenly, a weird croaking voice sounds from your left: 'Greetingssss! Have you lost your way?' You spin round to see a very large grey lizard with a yellow ruff of skin-folds around its neck. poking out its head from behind a rocky outcrop at you. Do you want to:

Attack the lizard?
Stay where you are and say 'hello' or something similar?
Run away back south?
At least this one isn't a giant. Just a "very large" one.

How do we react?

Adventure Sheet:
SKILL 9/9
STAMINA 18/20
LUCK 10/10
Equipment: Sword, Leather Armor, Shield, Lantern, Jar of Ointment, Message Scroll ('350')
Provisions: 8 Meals (+4 STAMINA)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

So far we've been rewarded for taking the most friendly option available. I'm not sure if Keith Martin is going to buck this trend right now.

Given that, I think we should try to befriend the giant talking lizard. At worst it'll be amusing.