[LP] LKG: Middle-Earth Quest 5? – A Spy in Isengard

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Starmaker
Duke

Post by Starmaker »

Yeah, but it's not like we're going to discover Saruman's super secret diary listed in the catalog, or that all references to Big S and the Ring have been redacted. The library strikes me as a place to go after we have a topic to research. But I'm not sure, and we're already here and have exhausted a dummy option, thus, only half a vote.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I figure seeing what books are here won't hurt. At the very least we might get something out of this trip if we do.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Post by angelfromanotherpin »

It hurts to the tune of 10 minutes.
187 (Time: 10)

You go to the catalogue: three huge hand-written volumes listing the contents of the Library. Considering your situation, you might want to learn more about the following topics: Rings of Power, Palantíri, or maps of Rohan and the Nan Curunir (the 'Wizard's Vale': the area outside of Isengard).

• If you look for 'Rings of Power,' turn to 206.
• If you look for 'Palantíri,' turn to 323.
• If you look for maps of the Wizard's Vale and Rohan, turn to 166.

Name: Spedwine

Strength: 7
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 11

Endurance: 34
XP: 20
Time: 60

Melee OB: +1
Missile OB: -3
DB: 0
Running: 0
General: +1
Trickery: +3
Perception: +3
Magical: +3

Spells Known: Calm (5), Clairvoyance (5), Healing (0), Luck (5).

Gear: Backpack, Pouch of Healing Herbs (3).
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If we think Saruman's up to something, and we know that he's been dicking around with the Palantir that we're not allowed to use, we might want to see what reading material he has on those.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I suspect that information about Palantir or the Ring are information that Saruman prefers to keep to himself. Chances are he's already looted most of the useful information he can find here and locked them up in his own bedroom or somewhere only known to him.

Maps, on the other hand, should be useful (I suspect they'll be useful right around the time we go to meet our contact at the farmhouse), and also less likely to be considered dangerous information by Saruman.

I vote for maps.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Well, in the case of this particular dilemma, I'm going to do both.
323 (Time: 20, Exp Pt: 3)

At first you despair at finding any pertinent material on the Seeing-stones, until by chance you come upon several volumes and scrolls stacked on a side-table: the very manuscripts you seek! Apparently Saruman is using them as well. Not a very good sign, you think grimly.

The Palantíri were made by Fëanor, the greatest smith of all time (it was Fëanor who made the Silmarils). They were originally used in the Undying Lands, but were later given to Mortal Men in gratitude for their help in the Wars against Morgoth in the dimness of the First Age. After so long, their resting places have come at last to Middle-earth. Some have been lost: two of Arnor's stones are said to be at the bottom of the great ice-bay; another is in the Grey Havens, its powers of sight locked onto the distant Undying Lands. In Gondor, the Palantír of Minas Ithil is now in the clutches of Sauron, along with the city itself. There was once a Seeing-stone in Osgiliath, the former capital of Gondor, but it fell into the Anduin when the city was razed.

Only Minas Tirith and Orthanc house the remaining free Palantíri. They can see far, and into any illuminated place, but are linked to each other and naturally drawn so. It also requires a great will to command a Stone, or it will reveal only shifting, unclear images.

All of these things you learn, along with many pages of specific instructions on their use. As you ponder the information, ideas run through your mind: Could the Dark Lord have taken possession of the Ithil-stone? If so, he could use it to watch everywhere! You fight down panic at the thought of Sauron spying on you at this moment. If my master used the Orthanc stone, he might be drawn into contact with Sauron... The idea of the two sorcerers locked in mental combat makes your blood run cold. You have read enough of this; you close the book and stand up.

• If you look for information on 'Rings of Power,' turn to 206.
• If you look for maps of the Wizard's Vale and Rohan, turn to 166.
• Otherwise, move on.
166 (Time: 10)

After only a few minutes of searching, you find the maps you are looking for. You carefully roll and pack them in a small leather travel tube. Check Clue D.

• If you look for a book on 'Rings of Power,' turn to 206.
• If you look for a book on 'Palantiri,' turn to 323.
• Otherwise, move on.
If you vote to move on, please mention which exit you're in favor of.
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Now I think we should leave.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

angelfromanotherpin wrote:If you vote to move on, please mention which exit you're in favor of.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

We're still on the third floor, right? Can we take the door that leads to the stairs/ladder/whatever down to the second floor?
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

Hmm... I'd vote for heading for either the armory or treasury, both via S11, conveniently enough. Maybe we'll find some evidence of dealings with orcs! Or loot!
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I changed my mind. Go to the armory so we can pick up a weapon.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

The exits from the Library are the four stairwells. All will access the second floor (and also the first floor). In addition to S11 which leads up to the treasury and down to the armory, there is:

- S9, which leads up to Saruman's study, and further up to the Palantir chamber, laboratory, and observatory; and also down to the drawing room.
- S10, which leads down to the guest bedroom and up to your bedroom.
- S12, which leads down to the dining room and up to Saruman's bedroom.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

S9 seems to lead to places where we're most likely to find evidences (study, Palantir room), but I have no objections to looking in the armoury first.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

Okay, making for the armory to end this dreadful weaponless gamble we've embarked on.
S11 (Time: 5)

Here, on the third level landing lies the entrance to the Library of Orthanc – one of the most extensive gatherings of knowledge east of the Sea. The library door is tall and narrow, set deep in a shadowy niche in the inner curving wall of the tower. Finely made of carved panels of dark cherry, the heavy door leads into the library of Orthanc – one of the finest collections in all Middle-earth. From here you can either climb up (to S15), down (to S7) or enter the Library (V12). Move on.
The library so nice, it gets flattered twice. Way to edit, guy. Goin' down.
S7 (Time: 5)

The stairwell leads both up and down, and from this landing you can enter the Armory. A deeply recessed, reinforced iron door guards the Armory of Orthanc, which is kept locked. To your knowledge, only the Captain of the Guard and Saruman himself have keys. However, your keyring has many keys on it whose purpose even you do not know. One might open the door.

• If you try to enter the Armory, turn to 167:
• Otherwise, move on to S11 or S3.
Worth a try, right?
167 (Time: 5)

You carefully examine the keyhole beneath the large iron latch. Surely one of these will work, you think to yourself as you flip through the many intricate keys on your chain. Pick a number and add your Perception bonus:
• If 2-7, turn to 410.
• If 8-12, turn to 147

Ugh, a 3. Even with our hefty Perception bonus, that gets us the low result.
410 (Time: 10)

After going through your entire set, you conclude that you have no key which has a chance of opening the Armory door.

• If you try to pick the lock, turn to 333
• Otherwise, move on.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Lock picking should presumably be testing our Trickery, which we're good at (although I'm not sure why a wizard's apprentice would be good at this).

Try lock picking.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Lockpick.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

333 (Time: 10)

After carefully bending a piece of wire saved from Saruman's laboratory, you go to work on the lock. Pick a number and add your Trickery bonus:
• If 2-9, turn to 225.
• If 10-12, turn to 193.
The roll is a 7, but thanks to our hefty bonus, that's enough!
193 (Time: 10)

After many minutes of cursing and wrestling with your wire, you are rewarded by a series of dull clicks within the mechanism. You have done it! The door is unlocked. Move on to U10.

U10 (Time: 5)

Dim light, filtering in through very narrow barred windows, reflects from hundreds of metallic surfaces. Racks and racks of swords and maces, helms and shields, gauntlets and hauberks, march the length of the room. You walk silently between rows of weapons, knowing that collected here are the finest of Saruman's hoard, a small part of the dozens of storehouses set into the outer Ring of Isengard. These weapons and armour are reserved for the captains and other officers of the Wizard's army. Pick a number and add your Trickery bonus:
• If 2-10, turn to 103.
• If 11-12, turn to 127.

The roll is 8, so just enough.

127 (Time: 10)

You notice a chest in the far corner of the room. You hurry over to it and quietly lift the lid. Inside, folded between fine cloth, lies a suit of silvery mail. It is very light, yet seems strong. I could probably wear this under my tunic and it would not be noticed, you think to yourself.

You should not stay in the Armory; Saruman would be angry if he caught you here.

• If you put the mail shirt on, turn to 372.
• Otherwise, move on.

I think it's a bit lame that we're not allowed to try taking any of the other gear here. All I can think of is that maybe it would be too much of a giveaway if we were armed with more than a short sword? And all the armament here seems to be bigger than that.

Name: Spedwine

Strength: 7
Agility: 6
Intelligence: 11

Endurance: 34
XP: 23
Time: 150

Melee OB: +1
Missile OB: -3
DB: 0
Running: 0
General: +1
Trickery: +3
Perception: +3
Magical: +3

Spells Known: Calm (5), Clairvoyance (5), Healing (0), Luck (5).

Gear: Backpack, Pouch of Healing Herbs (3).
Last edited by angelfromanotherpin on Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

If it's so well hidden I doubt it's cursed. Put it on.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

Sounds like mithril, and that's too damn good to pass on.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

372 (Time: 5)

The mail shirt is made of mithril! (It protects as Plate Armour (+3 to DB) yet there is no minus to your Trickery, Running, or Magical bonuses normally incurred when wearing plate.) You eagerly put it on and cover it with your tunic. Move on.

These books are of course all about enthusiastically gushing about the setting, and one of the neat things about Orthanc is that it's filled with treasures that a very powerful and educated person has accumulated over several human lifetimes, so it can plausibly contain quite a few things that would stretch credulity elsewhere.

I imagine that Saruman would wear this shirt on his forays outside his fortress. He might even have snuck it out when he left in disgrace (canonically, he died of a cut throat that such a shirt wouldn't have helped with). However, unless he catches us and takes it back, in this timeline he doesn't have it because we took it from him.

Anyway, moving on from here only takes us back to S7.

S7 (Time: 5)

The stairwell leads both up and down, and from this landing you can enter the Armory. A deeply recessed, reinforced iron door guards the Armory of Orthanc, which is kept locked. To your knowledge, only the Captain of the Guard and Saruman himself have keys. However, your keyring has many keys on it whose purpose even you do not know. One might open the door.

• If you try to enter the Armory, turn to 167.
• Otherwise, move on to S11 or S3.

Up to the Treasury? Down to the reception hall? Or pass through the library to a different stair and destination?
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd like to head to S9 now. Let's get some dirt on Saruman.
SGamerz
King

Post by SGamerz »

I think we might as well take a look in the Treasury since we're at the right stairway.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Good point. Changing vote.
angelfromanotherpin
Overlord

S11 (Time: 5)

Here, on the third level landing lies the entrance to the Library of Orthanc – one of the most extensive gatherings of knowledge east of the Sea. The library door is tall and narrow, set deep in a shadowy niche in the inner curving wall of the tower. Finely made of carved panels of dark cherry, the heavy door leads into the library of Orthanc – one of the finest collections in all Middle-earth. From here you can either climb up (to S15), down (to S7) or enter the Library (V12). Move on.
S15 (Time: 5)

At the fourth level this stairwell ends in a narrow landing. Straight ahead the cold iron door of the Treasury bars your way, while on either side stand iron statues of tall men in full plate armour. You have come here few times, but on every occasion the looming presence of the twin statues has sent chills through your body. Saruman has assured you that the guards are no more than sculpture, but his words somehow fail to convince you.
• If you move on, climb down to S11.
• If you try to enter the Treasury (W15), turn to 338.
We didn't let the armory door stop us, so here goes.
338 (Time: 5)

You carefully examine the keyhole beneath the large knob of faceted black glass. Surely one of these will work, you think to yourself as you flip through the many intricate keys on your chain. Pick a number and add your Perception bonus:
• If 2-7, turn to 122.
• If 8-12, turn to 376

7+3 is 10.

376 (Time: 5, Exp Pt: 1)

One key seems different from the others, and might actually fit the lock. You deftly try it, turning the black metal key silently. It works! The door is unlocked. Move on.

W15 (Time: 15)

The heavy door swings inward on its gleaming alloy hinges, revealing a chamber dimly illuminated only by narrow shafts near the ceiling. You slip inside and carefully close the door behind you, leaning against it as your eyes adjust to the sparse light.

Seven niches are delved in a row in the curving wall (corresponding to the outer wall of Orthanc), and above each niche is one of the slanting shafts which bring in light. The seven beams of illumination all focus on one spot in the room: a pedestal about seven feet in diameter and rising three feet above the floor. You have the feeling that at one time this room had some strange mystical purpose, but that purpose was forgotten long ago.

Now the pedestal is stacked with boxes and small chests, and as you move further into the room, you see that a small wooden chest is set into each of the niches.

• If you leave the Treasury, move on to S15.
• If you investigate the items on the pedestal, turn to 202.
• If you examine the chests in the niches, turn to 436.
Shiritai
Knight-Baron

Post by Shiritai »

aaaand a blind choice. Investigate the pedestal, for no reason.