The Gaming Den Forum Index The Gaming Den
Welcome to the Gaming Den.
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Google
 Search WWW   Search tgdmb.com 
[LP] LKG: Middle-Earth Quest 5? – A Spy in Isengard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Shiritai
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 526

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Continue the ruse!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep on bluffin'
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7448

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The roll is 7+3=10.
Quote:
379 (Time: 10, Exp Pt: 2)

You boldly stride down the steps, and one of the half-orcish guards marches up to face you. "I must ask what your business is outside Orthanc," he says, barely able to master the common speech. You feel his hot foul breath and wonder why Saruman would have such minions, even outside of Orthanc.

"I need to check the working of the forges in the southern district," you manage to say with authority.

He pauses for a moment, then steps aside. "Very well," he says gruffly. Relieved, you hurry past. Move on.

We're on the outdoor map at 11F and our destination is 4C. Which way now?

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiritai
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 526

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

South, to the forges!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

South
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

South.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7448

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
10F (Time: 5)

The long road from Orthanc to the Gates in the southern wall stretches before you, lined on either side with black pillars joined by heavy iron chains. Plumes of steam rise all across the plain of Isengard, and stone domes set in the ground glow with unearthly light, evidence of the furious activity below. Move on.

Where to next?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Continue south
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, keep at it.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7448

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
9F (Time: 10)

The marble paved road ends at the inner doors to the Gate of Isengard. Beyond those steel portals is a long tunnel running beneath the ringwall, and then another set of doors between you and freedom. Two large guards, hulking Half-orcs, stand sentry at the open inner doors. You have passed this way before (though accompanied by your master) and must bluff or fight your way through this time if you are to win freedom.

• If you try to bluff past the guards, turn to 360.
• If you fight the guards, turn to 367.
• If you successfully run away, turn to 389.

I'm going to assume that the bluffing strategy continues, if only because we still don't have a weapon (that isn't a one-shot fire ring) and fighting is dubious at best.

Quote:
360 (Time: 10)

Your only hope of getting past lies in the chance that the guards have not yet been told of your treachery, and would let you by as a trusted lieutenant of Saruman.

• If you have heard no alarms, you have not checked Clue H, and have no reason to believe that your plan has been discovered, turn to 386.
• If the alarm has been sounded, you have checked Clue H, or you know you are being pursued, pick a number:
- If 2-10, turn to 382.
- If 11-12, turn to 386.

Fortunately, we have not been caught or otherwise blown our cover.

Quote:
386 (Time: 5, Exp Pt: 10)

You boldly approach the gate, and both Orcs come to attention as you draw near. They squint through the fog to get a better look at you. You are about twenty feet away when one cries out: "Stop! Who comes to the gate of Isengard?"

"It is I, an apprentice of Saruman from Orthanc! Let me pass!" you reply, in the harsh orc-tongue, trying to sound commanding.

Both hold up their weapons in salute as you pass. You cannot believe your good fortune! As soon as you are out of sight and earshot of the Goblins, you break into a run. An alarm could come at any time! Move on.

Where to next?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

No reason to change direction yet, it's still further away to the south than to any other direction. South.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Keep south.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7448

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
9F (Time: 10)

The gate of Isengard looms above the pitted scarred valley floor: huge iron doors flanked by mighty stone towers, carved out of the natural rock walls. Many dark windows, like sightless eyes, peer out of the towers. Unable to believe your luck at getting through the one exit from Isengard, you hurry away. Move on.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I think we can continue south till 6F, then turn diagonally towards our destination, unless we run into something that indicates there's a better route on the way.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I like that plan.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7448

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
7F (Time: 15)

Here lies a branch from the wide Isengard highway: a narrow path which leads east towards the Isen river and a dark forest of elms and firs. As you stand at the junction, two Orcs spring from the shadows! Take an action:
• If you successfully run away, move on.
• If you fight the Orcs, turn to 185.

Wow, it is apparently just totally unsafe out here in the valley. Fight or run? As a reminder, trying to run is 2d6 (plus our running bonus of 0) vs TN 8, failure means the enemy gets first strike in the combat instead of us.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Shiritai
Knight-Baron


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 526

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Should probably run, and use Luck if necessary. If we could Fire Bolt the first and take its weapon, that would be nice, but I'm assuming that's not very likely?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Run!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Run away.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7448

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

The roll is 3, fail. Since no-one spoke out against it, I'll follow Shiritai's suggestion and use Luck. The re-roll is an 8, success!

Quote:
6F (Time: 15)

Tendrils of mist curl over the surface of the road, leaving an oily sheen and making the surface slick and treacherous. The air is very still, as if the valley itself is waiting for you to give up your fruitless flight. Nervously, you glance over your shoulder. Where is the pursuit? Move on.

And here we leave the road.

Quote:
5E (Time: 5)

Muddy uncertain ground stretches out in all directions. Fogs swirl about, driven by fickle breezes, to obscure your vision and confuse your sense of direction. Pick a number and add your Perception bonus:

• If 2-6, move on in a random direction.
• If 7-12, move on.

The roll is boxcars, so no difficulties.

Quote:
5D (Time: 5)

All around you brown grass rustles in the cold autumn wind, seeming to whisper hypnotically. You are plagued by the thought that someone is following you, lurking in the growing mists. Move on.

Quote:
4C (Time: 15)

You come upon a very dilapidated stone farmhouse, resting on the northern bank of the Isen. It was probably once inhabited by Hillmen but is now clearly abandoned. Little remains of the roof, and few of the thick walls stand intact.

• If this is your chosen meeting-place, turn to 182.
• Otherwise, move on.

Quote:
182 (Time: 10)

As you approach the ruin it gains clarity, the ubiquitous mists retreating from the crumbling edifice. It is larger than you remember, seeming to have several rooms spread over and unusual floor-plan. The messenger could be anywhere about in this maze; there could also be Orcs waiting in ambush.

• If the time is less than 830 minutes of Day 10, turn to 108.
• If the time is less than 830-850 minutes of Day 10, turn to 343.
• If the time is less than 851-900 minutes of Day 10, turn to 173.
• If the time is greater than 900 minutes of Day 10, turn to 229.

The time is 810 minutes, so...

Quote:
108 (Time: 5)

As you near the front of the house you check the night sky to make sure that you are on time. Perhaps I am a little early, you realize. If you hide, the messenger might not see you; on the other hand, if you stand out in the open, you might be spotted by Saruman's spies. There is little cover near the house except some underbrush.

• If you hide in the house, turn to 116.
• If you hide outside the house, turn to 117.
• If stand on the front steps in plain sight, turn to 124.


Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

I'm more afraid of missing the messenger than I am of Saruman's (so far) easily fooled guards so let's wait outside.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Have we checked inside the house to make sure the messenger isn't already there? He might be hidden in the house.

I guess we can hide outside. If he's somehow already inside, gets tired of waiting and come out, we should be able to see him.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
angelfromanotherpin
King


Joined: 07 Mar 2008
Posts: 7448

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Quote:
124 (Time: 20)

Although it is a vulnerable place, you decide to stand at the front of the house to see better and let the messenger know you are here. Pick a number, and add your Perception bonus:

• If 2-5, turn to 417.
• If 6-12, turn to 342.

The roll is 5(+3).

Quote:
342 (Time: 10)

Several minutes of standing outside the house reveal nothing, until suddenly you see movement at the well, a hundred paces from the house. You freeze in the shadows, wondering if it is friend or foe. Then out from behind the well comes a very unexpected sight: carrying a bucket of water is a little girl! She moves in absolute silence, and has a certain odd look about her. All at once you realize she is slightly transparent! She seems to be heading for the back door of the house.

• If you follow the girl, turn to 215.
• If you try to ignore her and stay where you are, turn to 101.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
SGamerz
Duke


Joined: 16 Jun 2014
Posts: 2329

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Since I doubt our contact is a ghost (or a girl, for that matter), I say ignore and keep waiting.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Darth Rabbitt
King


Joined: 05 Feb 2009
Posts: 6181
Location: Anywhere but here.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote Add User to Ignore List

Yeah, ghost-girl looks suspicious. And suspicious-looking things are rarely good news in Tolkien.
_________________
-The Reverend Sir Professor Darth Rabbitt
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gaming Den Forum Index -> In The Trenches All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum




Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group