Let's Play: Challenge of the Magi: Mage2

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

Thaluikhain
King

Let's Play: Challenge of the Magi: Mage2

Post by Thaluikhain »

This is for the mage controlled by Darth Rabbitt (and anyone else who wants to join later, if they've not yet read the Mage1 thread or played the game or otherwise have knowledge they shouldn't).

Firstly, will need to choose type of mages, greater spells, counterspells and lesser spells. A name wouldn't hurt either. Then, which of the 16 realms to go to first.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Amazing Rando

Class: Magician
LP: 20/20
CP: 14/14
Greater Magics: The Deathknight (1 CP), Hallowed Word (1 CP), Tanglevines (3 CP), Immolation (2 CP), Domination (2 CP, requires Diadem of Rulership), Feeblemind (1 CP)
Counterspells: Meltstone, Fireskin, Tower of Indomitable Will, Absorption, Iron Maiden, Mouth of the Void (1 CP each)
Lesser Magics: Healing x2, Focus x2, Ambuscade x1, Dispel Trap x1
Equipment: Dagger x3

And I'll start at the Desolation of Illexmanan the Aggrieved.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You step through the portal into bright sunlight. The air is crisp and cold. Everywhere around you stretches a vast expanse of barren, grey rock, the Desolation of Ilexmanan the Aggrieved. You sense this is an area of the Rainbow Land where the greater magics do not function.

Not a single living creature disturbs the silence, save you and the moaning wind. Two things stand out like blazing beacons in the bleak waste. Some way ahead lies a green copse and to the left crumbles an ancient ruin of some castle.

Will you investigate the ruins or the copse? Alternatively you may Invoke the Portals and travel either to the Garden of Contemplation or the Sacred Grove. WAIT before you turn to the paragraph of your choice, unless you have a STEED in which case you need not WAIT.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Investigate the ruins.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Soon, you are passing into the castle. Two great wooden doors lie shattered and rotting at the gate. Inside all is tumbled rock and jumbled ruin. There is an eerie feel in this place. The ghosts of the past, of great deeds and great tragedy, linger amongst the broken towers and crumbling walls.
WAIT and turn to 412...but while you are waiting something has transported you to an area of magic, with your opponent in front of you.

Everything goes dark for a second and you find yourself in the cavernous chambers of the Caverns of Perdition. Your opponent is before you. (You may describe yourself to your opponent, exchange insults such as "Vile swine, now I will settle this once and for all!") Then prepare for spell combat. You may only use black and red spells in this region.
Your opponent is "The Explosive Wand" the sorceror. They aren't carrying anything of note. You will go first (decided randomly)

You may try to escape by fleeing and Invoking the Portals.

If you have no spells, you can charge forward, hope to withstand your enemy's spells and close for physical combat.

Or you may cast one of these spells:
The Deathknight (1 CP)
Immolation (3 CP)

It can be read that physical combat is only for those with no spells, but it makes sense that you'd be able to do it either way.
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mr Shine
Knight-Baron

Post by Mr Shine »

Thaluikhain wrote: Or you may cast one of these spells:
The Deathknight (1 CP)
Immolation (2 CP)

EDIT: While you could cast Immolation, you'd need the Eye of Flame for that and you don't have it.
Actually Immolation is the 3CP uncounterable, not the 2CP instadearth.
Last edited by Mr Shine on Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Oops, yes, so it is.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"It is I, The Amazing Rando! And for my first trick, I will make The Explosive Wand...disappear!"

I cast Immolation.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Cross off 3CPs. Read this to your opponent:

"My finger points at you and, suddenly, you are bathed in flames. Is it as if you had spontaneously caught fire. The agony is unbearable as the fire rages for several seconds. All your body hair has been burnt away but, oddly, your clothes and equipment remain untouched. Lose three Life Points."

You may also add such lines as "Burn, you cockroach, burn!" (which you've already done, of course). Now wait for your opponent's instructions.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

"Rando. You know... I'd hoped it would be you."

"You step back in fear as you hear me incanting the words of the Blight of Desponde. There is nothing you can do as suppurating sores erupt all over your body and a back wave of nausea overwhelms you. You are riddled with disease. Lose four life points."

DECISIONS

If you have no spells, you can charge forward, hope to withstand your enemy's spells and close for physical combat.

The Deathknight (1 CP)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Not bad," I say, coughing a bit. "But it will take more than a little black magic to defeat me. Can the same be said for you?"

I cast The Deathknight.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Cross off 1 CP as you read the following to your opponent:

"A foul mist materialised before me into the Deathknight, a figure in dark rune-etched armour, its visor up to reveal the face of blank nothingness. It stalks towards you, an ancient axe in hand, intent on carrying out my will - in short, to slay you."

However, your opponent knows the counterspell. According to the rules they must cast it, regardless of whether they want to.

"I take out a wafer that has been consecrated at the Shrine of the Martyrs and break it, uttering the words of the Rite of Exorcism. Instantly the Deathknight collapses, its armour falling to the ground empty. There is a rush of ethereal wind and we can faintly hear a whispered "Thank you" as the spirit of the Deathknight is freed from its bonded service to the necromancer and returned to its rightful resting place."
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

"My hands flash through the air in a complicated arcane gesture. A few feet in front of me, a flaring fireball begins to coalesce. Two black shifting spots at its centre seem to denote eyes. The Spirit of Flame, for that is what it is, rushes towards you intent on engulfing you."

You can do nothing to resist the Spirit of Flame. Lose 5LPs. Read this to your opponent:

"I stagger back in horror and a howl of pain echoes around the Caverns as the living fireball does its work. Moments later, it disappears back to its plane of fire, leaving me charred and burnt."

There's also a chance of having items destroyed, but you've not found any yet. Your starting equipment seemingly doesn't count, the book doesn't check if you have them. Likewise, random weird stuff like blessed wafers to counter Deathknights just appear when needed.

DECISIONS

Last edited by Thaluikhain on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I attempt to flee.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

"You turn and try to get out of sight before Invoking the Portals, but, acting fast, I pick up a rock and hurl it at you with surprising accuracy. It smacks into one of your legs and you topple over, landing painfully on an outcrop of stone. Lose three Life Points but you have the presence of mind to Invoke the Portals. You can go to the Greenwood, the Silvered Spires or the House of Mausolus. But WAIT for me first."

Also, you are reduced to:
LP: 8/20
CP: 10/14
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll go to the House of Mausolus.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You find yourself in a tall dark room of cold black marble. You know immediately that this is a place without magic. White pillars march around the edge and the middle of the room is taken up with row upon row of stone slabs. On the slabs rest naked corpses, cold and still. You have arrived in the House of Mausolus, the place of the dead, where heroes and people of import in the Rainbow Land lie preserved in death for ever. Beside you stairs lead down to the crypt. Will you go down into the crypt, investigate the bodies, examine the small shrine dedicated to some god or other nearby, or Invoke the Portals and go either to the Caverns of Perdition or the Phoenix Crags. In any case you must WAIT before you do so.

But while you are waiting:

If you have just arrived in the house, your opponent appears before you suddenly. Otherwise, you find yourself transported to that part of the house where you first arrived, your enemy stepping through the portal to appear ahead of you.

You may describe yourself to your enemy, exchange insults and so on, but you must reveal what class you are, what creature, if any, accompanies you and what you are carrying.

(Your opponent is "The Explosive Wand" the sorceror. They aren't carrying anything of note. Nobody is accompanying them.)

You must both fight until one of you has fled or is dead. If you are not a necromancer, you find that this place of death fill you with fear and unease - subtract 1 from each of your dice rolls.

If you flee your opponent gets on hit on you for free and you may Invoke the Portals and go to the Phoenix Crags or the Cavern of Perdition.

(Unless one or the other wants to flee, I'll roll a round of combat and then ask again. If both people choose to flee I guess I'll skip the free hit)
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll attempt to flee again.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

Going to Phoenix Crags or Caverns of Perdition?

In any case, take 3 damage from their free hit.

LP: 5/20
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

The Explosive Wand probably thinks I'm running to the Phoenix Crags, so I'll go back to the Caverns instead.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

You step out of the portal. Hot, parched air hits you as if you'd walked into a wall. You find yourself in a large cavern, the rough cracked walls burning-hot to the touch. The rock around you is of strange reddish material inlaid with skeins of black onyx. The very air itself is alive with the distinctive resonance of black and red magic. Tow tunnels, a cave mouth and a large ironbound, grotesquely-carved door serve as exits.

If you have an Ambuscade and wish to set it off here, cross the from your list of lesser magics and record VOLCANO on your character sheet. Ahead of you a thin, barely passable tunnel leads to the left. You may go down it, straight ahead, through the door or into the cavemouth, out of which emanates a strong, musty animal smell. Alternatively, you could Invoke the Portals, step into the Nexus and travel to the Greenwood, the House of Mausolus or the Silvered Spire. You must WAIT before going anywhere.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

But, before you can go anywhere:

Everything goes dark for a second and you find yourself in the cavernous chambers of the Caverns of Perdition. Your opponent is before you. (You may describe yourself to your opponent, exchange insults such as "Vile swine, now I will settle this once and for all!") Then prepare for spell combat. You may only use black and red spells in this region.

Your opponent is "The Explosive Wand" the sorceror. They still aren't carrying anything of note. You will go first again (decided randomly)

The Deathknight (1 CP)
Immolation (3 CP)
Last edited by Thaluikhain on Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

They can kill me with one spell (and I can't do the same) so I'll have to run.
Thaluikhain
King

Post by Thaluikhain »

"You turn and try to get out of sight before Invoking the Portals, but, acting fast, I pick up a rock and hurl it at you with surprising accuracy. It smacks into one of your legs and you topple over, landing painfully on an outcrop of stone. Lose three Life Points but you have the presence of mind to Invoke the Portals. You can go to the Greenwood, the Silvered Spires or the House of Mausolus. But WAIT for me first."

Also, you are reduced to:
LP: 2/20
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'll go to the Greenwood, and assuming that I'm not followed this time I'll blow both of my healing spells.