[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

To the elf, "The eggs are fine. They were moving around a bit when we were there. Good luck with the parenting thing."

To Thrull and Archimedes, "Heh, third time was the charm. Uh, did they (the other rats) poof in, or did they come about some other way? Archimedes had the hammer with him this whole time.

Well, in any case, let's go meet the Elder Bro. Hope he has something that can wake Malogos up."

Orr contemplates taking Malogos to the shrine, but thinks it's pretty likely the Elder Bro would have something or other lying around that could also heal him. He offers to hook up the sled carrying the basilisk to the lizards.

He scratches the dog behind the ears and strokes the side of its neck. "Got into any trouble while I was gone?"
Last edited by radthemad4 on Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

"Do not worry about your companion," Thrull says as you set off, basilisk carcass in tow. "It was not wise to leave the animal with a drunk - and horny - dragon, but I engaged him in a riddle contest to allay his attentions."

The trip back into town is mostly uneventful - although getting the cart over the road is a bit fun - and the sight of the dead basilisk itself draws quite a bit of attention from the moldy townsfolk. The Elder Bro is waiting outside his shop when you get back, and directs you around the side to the loading bay.

*I knew you would fulfill your oath, and pleased I am to see so many of you return so hale.* He then prods Malagos with a finger. *Although this one looks almost ready for the compost heap. Do you want him as he was, or do you want him better?*
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

(I thought I left the dog (and lizards) with Thrull?)

To the dragon, before heading into town "Look up the Black Weavers in town if you're looking for a good time."

To the Elder Bro once in town, "Better in what way?"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

*Harder! Better! Faster! Stronger! Photosynthetic!* the wizened mushroom leans closer. *We have the magitechnology. We can...rebuild him.*
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Um, will he still be himself and have his memories and personality and all that? Also, he's a wizard. Would this impede his arcane spellcasting in any way?"

(Going to leave the actual decision up to Capn OoC, but just trying to get some info. Anything else you want us to ask, Capn?)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

*Spellcasting should be unaffected - maybe even improved! Biopsychosis is unlikely.* The Elder Bro begins measuring Malagos with a large pair of calipers.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

I'd go for it, Archimedes comments, but since I'm the one who got him into this mess I'm not sure it's my call. Your thoughts, Orr?

(Agreed on leaving the final call to Capn)
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

Malagos manages to get out the "thumbs down" sign from somewhere deep in his subconscious.

Our heroes would never know what, exactly, went through the drow's brain that day.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Yeah, I'd go for it too, uh... oh wait, getting something from Malogos. I think he's against it."

To the elder bro, "Thanks for the offer, but I believe he prefers to stay the way he was."
Last edited by radthemad4 on Tue Nov 29, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The Elder Bro mentally clucks its nonexistent tongue, then gets down a bottle of blue fluid and a length of pliable hose that ends in a brass needle. *I never get to have any fun.* The hoary fungus-man fiddles with the bottle until the blue liquid fills the tube and begins to drip out of the needle...which he then jams into the necromancer's jugular. Before long, color returns to the drow's hairless skin, and his eyes flutter open. [Malagos is at 10 hp.]
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

"What'd I miss?" the wizard groans
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Basilisk's dead, Archimedes tells him. Nearly killed you. Real question is what now?
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

*A feast, of course. The beast has preyed on us for many years. Every sentient in town is going to get drunk tonight on the Council's expense.* The bottle empty, the Eldest Bro carefully removes the needle from the necromancer's neck; the skin heals without even a scar.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr grins. "That sounds awesome!"

To Archimedes and Malogos "We can probably afford to spend the night here before we head back towards the river. Speaking of which... we should probably see if anyone here knows the way there. If it seems too far, I could shift us to where we first found that..." Orr shudders a bit remembering the contents of the strange iron creature's mind. "thing, and hope it's not still hanging around there.".
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

"I could go for not doing anything requiring real effort, though if we get drunk regaining the mental clarity to prepare spells will take additional time."
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Count me in favor of drinking, Archimedes says. Not sure I can get drunk anymore. Good way to test it.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The fungus people are simple folk, and do not engage in grand speeches or solemn ceremonies; there is only the call, wafting by spores on the breeze, and as the gray sky darkens to twilight all the folk in the town put down their tools and close up their shops, drifting in ones and twos to congregate at the great hall. Even those of you who are not of their kind feel the gentle tug, the breeze wafting warm and yeasty that grows stronger into a lolling muzziness on the edges of things. Most of the foreign quarter camps in the plaza outside the hall, sharing their own libations and foods, as well as the casks of fungus beer and fresh sweet-breads brought forth regularly from inside, the humanoids and arachnoids and fae basking in the contact high from the psychedelic storm within...

Those who venture into the barn itself become part of the motion of the great hall, the endless dances, fleshy bodies slapping into each other, and veritable seas of beer being poured forth constantly. There is a sense of oneness as the group gyrates in circles, the circles themselves revolving around the center, a sub-telepathic pulse that releases cares and inhibitions, soothes hurts and rejuvenates the spirit. Endless and animal and ageless, dreams and visions spiral out from the center and can be felt even by those outside the barn, memories of dark adventure beneath the earth, reptilian pain and magic and death, fear and sweat and triumph...

...you awake the next day - to call it "morning" would be ungenerous, and the whole of the populace appears to have dedicated several hours to recovering quietly from the town's collective hangover. There is a lingering sense of goodwill among all; weakest among those who stayed outside the hall, but there nonetheless. (Everybody heals as if they had 1 full day's rest.)
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr groans as he accidentally rolls off of a table in the great hall.

"Ugh... two days in a row. Never doing that again... Probably... Maybe... for like... at least a week..."

He slowly lifts himself up, looking for a water source or a trough or something to dunk his head into. He then looks for his dog and the others.

"Okay, guys, let's see if the Elder knows the way to the river."

(Archimedes wanted to ask him more about the Yellow Druids IIRC)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

You find the Eldest Bro at a long table that has been set up outside the front hall; the carcass of the basilisk has been laid out and is being carefully dissected, various fluids being drained into jars and pots, and organs being pickled or packed in salt. The Eldest is up to his mossy elbow in basilisk innards, instructing a passel of sprouts about the proper removal of the brain.

At a side table, a roughly humanoid entity in a long oilskin poncho is sitting at a breakfast - warm, crusty bread, yellow butter, slices of fried but otherwise unidentifiable meat, and foamy beer are laid out. The hood slips back to reveal a very feminine face, albeit with thick tentacles instead of hair, and smooth skin like a dolphin. She beckons you over with a grey hand.

*You have questions, heroes. I have answers. Come, eat. There is a long journey ahead.*

Thrull and his rats are already at breakfast, with the dog and riding-lizards nearby. The two cones are in an empty quarter of the square, looking greener than usual and sort of leaning on each other.
Last edited by Ancient History on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Can't drink anymore, it seems, Archimedes laments as he wakes up, looking to see if he's broken any furniture or damage any walls, something he had to worry about at parties back when he was ten times lighter and still made of flesh. Used to drink entire militias under the table. Gonna miss that. He brushes off both his body and the thought before hobbling along to the humanoid in the oilskins. Yes. Curious about beings that we call the Yellow Druids, Archimedes starts, squatting down by the table. Eldest Bro said he knew about them, though he wouldn't talk about it until after the creature was slain. That's taken care of now, he adds, pointing to the dissected basilisk carcass. So now: What do you know about them?
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Malagos eats, trying to give the impression he is not listening as intently as he actually is.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

"I have learned much." Thrull the rat says, standing upright with the aid of his walking-stick, stroking one whisker with a wizened paw. "The Yellow Druids follow the darker paths of nature; they are masters of poison and plague, biological warfare and the fruiting undeath, the illusions and shadow-paths of the Unseelie fae. To them, destruction is a necessary act for new growth; they are the ones who kill off the weak, breed the mistletoe and strangling grass, and leave the ground behind them enriched with the bodies of interlopers. If sufficiently induced, their talents can be...let out. Such a party hired them to strike you from their course."

The rat opens his paw to indicate the tentacled beauty at the table, who is currently consuming a bowl of worms with the aid of a pair of chopsticks.

"This is Drowning-Squid; her people walk the Water Path, between all worlds. She believes that she can guide you back to the Isle Beneath the Sea in the great river, where the marriage will be consummated. Though it is sure to be treacherous, the Yellow Druids have little power there."

The young woman slurps up a fat worm and gives a little wave. Her fingers and palms are covered with small suckers, and you see her fingernails have been painted a pink, rimmed with grey.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Found out anything about the party that hired them? Archimedes asks.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

At Drowning-Squid, "Well met. Out of curiosity, why did you agree to help us?"

Orr will give his dog a few slices of meat. He'll then make a sandwich, placing a slice of bread between two slices of meat.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Darth Rabbitt wrote:Found out anything about the party that hired them? Archimedes asks.
"No," Thrull said, then nibbling on a piece of fungus-bread and cheese. "I am too long gone from that society to know whom the players may be - but there are many politics when the Scaly Ones mate, many games - even deadly contests."
radthemad4 wrote:At Drowning-Squid, "Well met. Out of curiosity, why did you agree to help us?"
She blushes - at least, you can think of no other way to express the shade of purple that flushes over her face - and a tentacle hides her mouth. *It is a quest!*
Orr will give his dog a few slices of meat. He'll then make a sandwich, placing a slice of bread between two slices of meat.
Many of the fungus-people stop and stare at Orr in wonder. One or two bring out sheets of paper, and appear to be taking careful notes. After he has taken a few bites, one thing and somewhat timid-voiced fungusman with a tall green cap comes forward and bows slightly, then asks... "What do you call that?"