[IC]Secrets of the Fire Swamp

Stories about games that you run and/or have played in.

Moderator: Moderators

radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr will relax his stance somewhat (but not enough to count as flatfooted).

At everyone, "We apologize for interrupting this momentous occasion. We're a bit on edge as we were recently attacked by walking trees that nearly killed one of us. We mean no harm to anyone who wouldn't harm us. Please, carry on."

Orr will look at Dragon Turtle and shake his head, "I'm not. This was merely a misunderstanding. I apologize for your discomfort. Take a deep breath and relax, and it will pass." (Sicken duration: combat)
Last edited by radthemad4 on Sat Oct 31, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Post by Ancient History »

DAMN TREES. CAN'T TRUST 'EM. the Dragon-Turtle projects. The steam around its mouth simmers down to a few mere wisps. ALRIGHT THEN. NO HARM DONE. SORRY ABOUT THE AGGRO, DRAGON-TYPES GET ME ALL TERRITORIAL.
Last edited by Ancient History on Sat Oct 31, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Archimedes is left speechless. "...Er, my apologies," he finally offers weakly. "Can you tell us anything about this swamp?" Archimedes asks the dragon turtle, regaining what semblance of composure he normally possesses.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
Ancient History
Serious Badass

SORRY, CAN'T REALLY TALK NOW. THIS IS MY FIRST MATING IN A CENTURY, Y'KNOW? The dragon-turtle's thought stream does seem...agitated. And hormonal. Steam is leaking out of its shell. At the river's edge, you see the green figure led into the water, where scaly figures with ornaments of gold and coral emerge from beneath the brown waters to greet them.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Well, congrats, and best wishes."

Orr will fly back to the group and land.

"Perhaps we should see if any of them know anything about this place, the trees and/or the box, once they're done with the festivities."

Orr will rest for eighteen seconds to regain an ethereal token.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The brown water of the river ripples near the boats, and then a slender head and shoulders emerges. The body is almost human in its contours, though strangely androgynous, and their head is covered by a mask of gold and bone in the shape of a seashell crowning a reptilian skull. Strange opalescent eyes can be glimpsed within the dark hollows the of the skull-mask's eye sockets. With four-fingered, webbed hands, the figure makes several strange gestures, then appears to wait for a response.
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

"Any chance we could join the reception?" asks Malagos. It would allow the group to save provisions, at least.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"I dunno, it seemed like a very small affair, er... by head count anyway. There were about four there that I saw, other than the betrothed, though there may be more underwater. Probably worth asking about though."

At the masked figure, telepathically, "Sorry, didn't quite catch that."
Last edited by radthemad4 on Mon Nov 02, 2015 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Greetings, in the name of Those-Who-Change-Scales, the thoughts stream out to all of you present, not only those with a natural telepathy, and the figure continues to gesture as it speaks. I am the Third Hierophant of the Fallen Tail, under the Shade of the World-Turtle. Your coming is fortuitous, for we have need of such as you to fulfill the Rite of Consumation. The dangers are not small, but the rewards shall be great.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

Orr raises an eyebrow and nods.

"Sounds promising. Go on."
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

Dragaan nods with approval. "Yes. Go on. Particularly about the rewards that'd we'd reap."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

There is a healing spring, not far from here. It marks the outskirts of the Forbidden Zone, where we scaly folk may not tread. Within that precinct lies the Bone Mother, plying her craft. The masked one unclips a golden torc from around her head, and holds it before her. Present this to the Bone Mother, and she will give up the Sacred Ointment. It is needed for the Rite of Consumation. Do this, and by the laws of the Fallen Tail, you shall have a tenth part of the dowry of the Dragon-Turtle, nine questions from the Oracle of Those-Who-Change-Scales, and the right to shed your scales in the world after this world.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Vian asks his buddy to drop him over on the shore. "Nothing against telepathy, but I prefer talking face to face."

The human stepped forward, dusting himself during his confident stroll.

"So then, about this rite. What does it involve and what will we get for helping you with it? Also, since you are the one welcoming us, why not show a bit of hospitality? I have some wounds from the first encounter out in this swamp. Magical aid will be appreciated."

As tall as he stood now, it was difficult to hide the blood that soaked his clothes back when he took the blow from the tree.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

The masked figure points down the ruined road. There is a healing spring about an hour's walk in that direction. Look for the sign of the Newt-Mother. The telepathic tone is slightly affronted, and Vian picks up subpsionic grumblings, griping about "stupid mammal chosen ones."
CapnTthePirateG
Duke

Post by CapnTthePirateG »

"I'm in if you are," Malagos says to the rest of the group. You never knew when free oracle questions could come in handy.
OgreBattle wrote:"And thus the denizens learned that hating Shadzar was the only thing they had in common, and with him gone they turned their venom upon each other"
-Sarpadian Empires, vol. I
AcidBlades
Journeyman

Post by AcidBlades »

"So wait, why exactly can't ya get into the springs?" Dragaan lightly messages at his chin, as he was quite scaly himself though only his maw could really be shewn along with his rather dull claws. "Whatever, I'm not going to let some idiotic mammals, or arboreal fuck around with me. Those who get in my way will find themselves without eyes, bark or hide."
Ancient History
Serious Badass

It is forbidden for us to go past the markers.
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"What do you mean by markers? Also, why is it forbidden for you? Who forbade you? And, by 'scaly folk' do you refer to just your people, or all beings with scales?"
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Look, the masked figure glances down at the water, then upriver before locking eyes with each of you in turn. you're outlanders. You're recognized as people under the Non-Scalykind Act of the Year of the Great Leap Sideways, but as far as religious taboos go you don't count as people, people. And I can't go into all the details because the ritual requires you to be in a state of innocence - no, don't give me that look, I told you, it's a religious thing. The figure holds out a four-fingered hand with the golden torc. It's really not complicated. You take this thingy, wander down the road past the black stone posts, hand it to the Bone Mother, she'll give you the salve and you get it back here and we reward you. And if the head Hierophant knew I was being blunt about it, I'd be in serious trouble, okay? If you don't want to do it, that's fine, but I'm on a deadline here.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

Having kept quiet this whole time (considering himself ill-suited to negotiations) Archimedes finally speaks up: "I can't speak for the others, but I'll certainly do it. It certainly beats standing around awkwardly, or being attacked by homicidal trees. Anyone in favor of joining me?"

With that, Archimedes reaches for the torc, snorting enthusiastically.
Pseudo Stupidity wrote:This Applebees fucking sucks, much like all Applebees. I wanted to go to Femboy Hooters (communism).
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Sure, let's do this. Can you elaborate on the 'dangers' you mentioned? We'll do it anyway, but every bit of information helps."
Last edited by radthemad4 on Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ancient History
Serious Badass

Oh yeah, dangers. Ummm, if you hear a crackling sound, move. There's a lot of gas around and sometimes it just shoots up in a jet of flame. Look out for quicksand. Most of the rodents of unusual size are on the other side of the river. Oh! And if you build a fire, keep it away from the trees and feed it with dead branches from the ground.

The masked figure hands the golden torc to Archimedes and turns to go. Their scales look pretty dry. Oh, and if you run into any shrines, try not to defile them or whatever. Unless you're supposed to. Anyway, I have to go, but I'll be back. Thanks!

With that, the strange scaled figure dives back into the muddy waters of the river.
Dominicius
Knight

Post by Dominicius »

Vian raises an eyebrow. "Peculiar fellow that one. Welp... seems we got ourselves a quest to do."

He rests his hands on his belt and looks back towards his partymembers.

"So how about we head to that healing spring? Seems to like it should be along our destination anyway."
radthemad4
Duke

Post by radthemad4 »

"Yeah, peculiar indeed. Oh well, onwards."

Orr will fly towards the black stone posts and examine them.
Darth Rabbitt
Overlord

Post by Darth Rabbitt »

"Heading to the spring is definitely a good idea," Archimedes agrees telepathically, flying off in the direction of the spring. "We currently have two wounded and likely will have more in the future."
edit: unfucked tags
Last edited by Darth Rabbitt on Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.